• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10681 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

Just saw Bubba Ho-Tep with Bruce Campbell. If you're into the Evil Dead series, insane conspiracy theories, Elvis, and laughter its a pretty fun one. Really well filmed and has a crazy plot line that gets wilder every act of the movie. Five stars in my book for complete originality and good comedy writing.

Also just saw A Star is Born...

WTF was that about? I'm 30 now and grew up watching every movie I could get my hands on from Kellys Heroes to Aquaman and have noticed a trend in story telling within the past five years with morbid endings. The music and acting was great, no doubt about it, yet I couldn't get behind the story. It was evident via the tone of the story of where it was going which seems to be a trend in certain dramas these days. I can wrap my head around The Malazan Book of the Fallen. There are devastating losses of characters you grow to love but the sacrifices are for a reason. Bradly Cooper's choice was just lame at the end. Promoting the idea its okay just to give up. The example I gave to my brother about "acclaimed" films these days was if Red from Shawshank Redemption just carved in his name and hung himself like Brooks rather than going to find his friend to get the Oscar because of how profound it is.
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#10682 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

Thanks to amph's reminder, I finally watched The Favourite. It's crazy to see Yorgos Lanthimos do his thing with a script he didn't write, but danged if this wasn't right up his alley. I don't need to tell you guys, but Olivia Colman is one of the best living actors. Weisz and Stone great as well, but that's normal. Nicholas Hoult, on the other hand, shockingly good as one of the funniest characters I've seen in the last year.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10683 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

Wife took me to see Aladdin the other day (or rather I agreed to go with her because I wanted to distract myself from my stepmum's passing).

It was passably decent, didn't have the charm of the original of course, and I thought some of the new songs broke the narrative up a bit, but eh.

EDIT: I gotta say though, Will Smith was a stroke of casting genius.

This post has been edited by Maark Abbott: 24 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#10684 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:45 AM

Every time it bites someone it sounds like it's biting into an apple. And tbh, I appreciate that creative decision.

#10685 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Did Endgame not make like a gazillion dollars already?
Theyre saying the rerelease contains extra post credits and a tribute.
Fuck off you money grabbing fucks

#10686 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

'Extra' post credits? That weoudl imply that the original version had at least one. Which it didn't.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10687 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

They're trying to take the box office record from Avatar -- and they're only like $36 million away. Thus -- bonus features!

#10688 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

seems like a cheap ass way to do it. surely the record will come with an asterix beside it because of the rerelease?

#10689 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, I hate it.

This has zero style. It's bland AF. Ugh. As a fan of the Barrymore, Diaz, Liu Angels flicks, this one has zero of the camp required to sell this concept. This could be any other of the umpteen generic action movies out there in the last few years with no defining qualities.

Ugh.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10690 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

Looks like The Fast and the Furious, #MeToo edition. I'll pass. Won't even watch it when it makes the rounds and stays in shitty basic cable purgatory.

#10691 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 June 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

I've got a gift card begging for it and popcorn at like 10 am.

Note: Haven't seen it yet.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 27 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10692 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 27 June 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 26 June 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

I've got a gift card begging for it and popcorn at like 10 am.

Note: Haven't seen it yet.

You get a poster too apparently!

I'm tempted because I still have like $100 in gift card money for movies too...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10693 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 June 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Looks like The Fast and the Furious, #MeToo edition.

That would be a great thing for it to be but so far it's not sold itself as that at all.

That said, it's really hard to say how much of it is the movie and how much is the shitty song they're trying to sell the movie with. It's a trailer terribly edited to a terrible, boring track and therefore I'm not gonna write it off just yet.

eta: speaking of, fucking A. It's even got a little lorry-based shoutout to the first Fast and Furious.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 28 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10694 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 30 June 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

Just finished. That was absolutely fucking fantastic. I was not expecting much out of this cartoon and was snooty about it but I’m happy to have been proved wrong. That said I’m extremely happy I didn’t see this on the big screen! I would have likely blown chunks on the person in front of me.

It’s so good, isn’t it? I did watch it in the cinema and the animation style did take some getting used to (at points it felt like we were supposed to be wearing 3D glasses) but worked so well for the film.

And The Prowler’s eerie theme music is incredible.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#10695 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Speaking of Spider Men, I watched Far From Home yesterday. It was good, fluffy fun. Not as good as the first, but certainly still entertaining, and I did really like what they did with Mysterio. Ultimately, the film was basically wearing a t-shirt throughout with the slogan ‘not to be taken seriously’.

#10696 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

I also saw SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME yesterday, and really enjoyed it. If I was ranking it in the entire MCU it's fully top middle of the pack (better than the likes of Captain Marvel and Thor 2, but not a scratch on either GUARDIANS movies or the Avengers ones), but I still had a lot of fun watching it, and think it's excellent.

Will go into spoilers for the rest of my comments.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

#10697 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

This is out?
Guess what's happening Sunday night!

#10698 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

Watched Moana when it was on television recently. Never seen it before and didn't go in knowing anything about it other then it's a Disney movie (of the princess genre). I really enjoyed it and thought it was excellent. The Rock doing the voice of Maui was a treat. I don't think I recognized any of the other voice actors, but they were all more then accomplished. The setting really spoke to me. I loved the Polynesian lore they injected into the plot. And the CGI hair effects were amazing.

Are there any other movies (Disney or similar) that are of this high quality that you guys would recommend? I think I've heard/read about a movie called Brave is supposed to be really good.

#10699 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I also saw SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME yesterday, and really enjoyed it. If I was ranking it in the entire MCU it's fully top middle of the pack (better than the likes of Captain Marvel and Thor 2, but not a scratch on either GUARDIANS movies or the Avengers ones), but I still had a lot of fun watching it, and think it's excellent.

Will go into spoilers for the rest of my comments.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10700 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 July 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Watched Moana when it was on television recently. Never seen it before and didn't go in knowing anything about it other then it's a Disney movie (of the princess genre). I really enjoyed it and thought it was excellent. The Rock doing the voice of Maui was a treat. I don't think I recognized any of the other voice actors, but they were all more then accomplished. The setting really spoke to me. I loved the Polynesian lore they injected into the plot. And the CGI hair effects were amazing.

Are there any other movies (Disney or similar) that are of this high quality that you guys would recommend? I think I've heard/read about a movie called Brave is supposed to be really good.

Soundtrack done by Lin Manuel Miranda, I love that film. Princess and the Frog is another good one with a decent soundtrack.

And The Emperor's New Groove is hands down the best of all Disney films.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic