• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10661 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

They even make a KISS song tolerable. If that's not building bridges with music, nothing is.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10662 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

Just watched Captain Marvel. It was good fun, if not quite the life-changing experience some had made it out to be.

Seven alien hairballs out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 08 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10663 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:26 PM

I watched:
1) Suspiria (the remake) -- pretty good! I didn't really care about the background stuff of 1977 Germany, but for all the main story it took a different angle on roughly the same premise as the original but did its own thing, which was a good idea, and pretty much all that stuff was great. It's 2.5 hours long though so I split it into two (which is easy cuz it has 'chapters').

2) The Perfection -- new thriller/body horror flick on Netflix. Starts out promising in the first third, then the last 2/3 are absolutely awful. Not because of the twists necessarily (and boy does this movie have twists) but because the writing and direction turn awful.

#10664 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 June 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 June 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

THE LAST UNICORN

MEH. Even the book. MEH.

Heathen! Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 10 June 2019 - 04:59 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#10665 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

I watched Aquaman: First off, let me say that this movie is severely dumb. Second off, it's a fantasy movie. It has the same plot as any number of SyFy channel dungeons & dragons clones, and throws a bit of Indiana Jones and The Land That Time Forgot type stuff in for good measure. Third off, this movie rules. I have never in my life seen Patrick Wilson -- who specializes in playing accountants with a mean streak -- chew the scenery like this. The whole look of the movie is nuts. It's like they took what they did to Henry Cavill's moustache in Justice League and decided to do it to every single character's entire body. There are some downright amazing shots in this movie (the Trench dive in particular), and though there are zero emotional stakes to anything that happens in the entire movie, it succeeds on immense silliness rising to a fever pitch finale. Aquaman is the dumb, amazing, maximalist yin to Venom's dumb, wonderful, minimalist yang.

Spoiler

#10666 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

Stephen King movies left and right. Doctor Sleep looks great!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10667 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

View Postworry, on 14 June 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

I watched Aquaman: First off, let me say that this movie is severely dumb. Second off, it's a fantasy movie. It has the same plot as any number of SyFy channel dungeons & dragons clones, and throws a bit of Indiana Jones and The Land That Time Forgot type stuff in for good measure. Third off, this movie rules. I have never in my life seen Patrick Wilson -- who specializes in playing accountants with a mean streak -- chew the scenery like this. The whole look of the movie is nuts. It's like they took what they did to Henry Cavill's moustache in Justice League and decided to do it to every single character's entire body. There are some downright amazing shots in this movie (the Trench dive in particular), and though there are zero emotional stakes to anything that happens in the entire movie, it succeeds on immense silliness rising to a fever pitch finale. Aquaman is the dumb, amazing, maximalist yin to Venom's dumb, wonderful, minimalist yang.

Spoiler

I watched this on a long plane ride last week and had the exact same thoughts as you. The dumbness works, but I was a bit tired of the main character essentially being unchanged by the events of the movie and propelled by the several times repeated "Arthur is the true king!" logic.

The scene you picked as the epitome of goofiness is the exact one I picked too. That guy must love those moments.

I also went through Captain Marvel, which I found to be a good story muddled by inexpert timeline rearranging and some bad hairpieces/"younger makeup". The rejection of an imposed identity was a true change, even if the stakes were much smaller than that of Aquaman.

Spider-Verse was great. Lots of people have said many things, so I'll only say that the focus on Miles rewards just how great a character he is. Everything about his story resonates stronger today than the old high school Peter Parker story. I do think that Silk could have had a spot instead of chibi Japanese girl plus spider robot, but hey...

Again, The Favorite is my favorite movie that I saw since Annihilation. Nothing else was as good as that, even as great as Spider-Verse was.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10668 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:35 PM

Just watched Spider-Verse tonight and wowsers that was an astonishing piece of film making. I haven't seen a Spiderman film since S3 was in the cinema because I hated that particular film so much I swore off it but I'm glad I watched this one. Truly amazing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10669 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:17 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image
FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOM!

#10670 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:21 AM

Wow, 50 gold pieces! I wonder what that is in 2019 gold pieces.

#10671 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

View Postworry, on 07 June 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

They even make a KISS song tolerable. If that's not building bridges with music, nothing is.

Is that not an Argent song??

#10672 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Always Be My Maybe is quite good. The direction is good, the performances great, and the story bops along at a swift pace. Not as good as Crazy Rich Asians, but still a very solid romantic comedy that has a ton of truth to its characters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10673 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 June 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 07 June 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Is that not an Argent song??

Not the version Bill & Ted do.

#10674 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 June 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Always Be My Maybe is quite good. The direction is good, the performances great, and the story bops along at a swift pace. Not as good as Crazy Rich Asians, but still a very solid romantic comedy that has a ton of truth to its characters.

We quite liked it as well. But then my wife was already a massive Ali Wong fan, so she was in before I even hit play. Park was also excellent in his role. Just a really fun and enjoyable romcom.

We also checked out Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston's Netflix orig movie MURDER MYSTERY. It was decent. I think the only issue I have with it, is that it SEEMS to play at first like the whole European rich people death murder mystery thing has been set up by Sandler's character to spice up his marriage with his wife who loves books like that...but in the end it all actually happened...which means it was fun...but it could have been WAY better with a "THE GAME-I planned all of this for our anniversary all along" denouement. Especially since it's called MURDER MYSTERY which is a game where people act out the roles, ect. Anyways, fun. But don't expect it to be particularly brilliant, it's VERY straightforward. Luckily, Sandler absolutely sells it because he's still really funny.

We also are now halfway through WRECK IT RALPH 2 with my daughter, and are enjoying it...but I still laugh at the fact that they originally had a scene making fun of how petulant and childish Kylo Ren is...and Lucasfilm got uppity about it and Disney made them take it out. Hey guys...if people are parodying your villain because he's not really that scary or can't stand up to that type of mild scrutiny....maybe that should be a sign that your villain sucks?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10675 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 June 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 16 June 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

We quite liked it as well. But then my wife was already a massive Ali Wong fan, so she was in before I even hit play. Park was also excellent in his role. Just a really fun and enjoyable romcom.

We also checked out Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston's Netflix orig movie MURDER MYSTERY. It was decent. I think the only issue I have with it, is that it SEEMS to play at first like the whole European rich people death murder mystery thing has been set up by Sandler's character to spice up his marriage with his wife who loves books like that...but in the end it all actually happened...which means it was fun...but it could have been WAY better with a "THE GAME-I planned all of this for our anniversary all along" denouement. Especially since it's called MURDER MYSTERY which is a game where people act out the roles, ect. Anyways, fun. But don't expect it to be particularly brilliant, it's VERY straightforward. Luckily, Sandler absolutely sells it because he's still really funny.

We also are now halfway through WRECK IT RALPH 2 with my daughter, and are enjoying it...but I still laugh at the fact that they originally had a scene making fun of how petulant and childish Kylo Ren is...and Lucasfilm got uppity about it and Disney made them take it out. Hey guys...if people are parodying your villain because he's not really that scary or can't stand up to that type of mild scrutiny....maybe that should be a sign that your villain sucks?

Wait Lucasfilm did that?
Kylo Ren the character deserves that criticism. He throws childish tantrums, somehow lost a duel with an illusion, which he should have been able to detect, but wasn't and possesses none of the gravitas and cold purpose that a Sith should have.

They don't have a leg to stand on.

#10676 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostAndorion, on 17 June 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Wait Lucasfilm did that?
Kylo Ren the character deserves that criticism. He throws childish tantrums, somehow lost a duel with an illusion, which he should have been able to detect, but wasn't and possesses none of the gravitas and cold purpose that a Sith should have.

They don't have a leg to stand on.

Yep.

In a recent interview with IGN, the film’s director, Rich Moore, said that one character in particular was marked as off-limits for their desired mockery: Kylo Ren, the fearsome and complicated villain of the new Star Wars movies.

“At one point we had a joke about Kylo Ren being kind of a spoiled child,” Moore said. “We went to Lucasfilm and said, here’s what we’re doing. And they said, well, we’d prefer that you don’t show him as a spoiled child. You know, he is our villain, and we’d prefer you don’t do that. So we were respectful of that.”

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10677 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

That's crazy, since he's probably the best conceived character in all of SW history (the movies at least) and of course he can withstand a bit of parody, but I'm not surprised by a movie studio being overly touchy. Do whatever you want to people, but lay off the properties.

Anyway, I watched Always Be My Maybe as well, and it was definitely cute and funny. Doesn't break the mold plot-wise, but it's a pleasure to spend time with the characters. I was surprised and elated to see Lyrics Born in the cast, too!

#10678 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:34 AM

When in the hell.

#10679 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

OK, that's a must-see. ^^^
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10680 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Glenn Danzig Made A 'Boobs And Blood' Horror Movie That's Being Compared To 'The Room'

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users