• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12781 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:10 PM

View Postthe broken, on 03 January 2024 - 11:14 PM, said:

The level of hatred Snyder gets is weird. Not many other people get so much 'unfortunately, there's a sequel' talk whenever they make a fairly average film.

Rebel Moon is not a good movie as currently released. The action itself slows at odd, off kilter moments and doesn't lend itself well to building characters up.

I compare it to The Creator, which has superb action sequences that are minimally held together by a coherent story. The Creator comes off as more inventive and more visually pleasing to watch despite having a story that's about on the same level.

I'm interested in seeing the 3 hour version to find out if Snyder is telling the truth about it being a better movie or just kinda up his own ass. But the current release is not even an average movie in terms of quality.

It's a shame because Ed Skrein is legit and so are a few of the other performances.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12782 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2024 - 02:06 AM

Hmmm thoughts on the Betelgeuse 2 trailer? It didn’t look true to the original IMO and it lacked Keaton’s exuberance. I’m sure I’ll obviously see it, but hopefully the movie is more fun.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#12783 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 January 2024 - 12:43 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 30 January 2024 - 02:06 AM, said:

Hmmm thoughts on the Betelgeuse 2 trailer? It didn’t look true to the original IMO and it lacked Keaton’s exuberance. I’m sure I’ll obviously see it, but hopefully the movie is more fun.

Linky? All I can find on youtube is fan made concept stuff.

--------------

In other news ...

Could be interesting. One thing for sure, it's quite the left turn for Dev Patel.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 30 January 2024 - 12:45 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12784 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 January 2024 - 02:54 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 January 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

--------------

In other news ...

Could be interesting. One thing for sure, it's quite the left turn for Dev Patel.

https://www.youtube....h?v=g8zxiB5Qhsc

I'm kind of bummed it's not TWEETER AND THE MONKEY MAN.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12785 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 January 2024 - 03:14 PM

I was just thinking last week they should make a movie of that!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12786 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 February 2024 - 08:28 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 January 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

--------------

In other news ...

Looks ace

#12787 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 February 2024 - 10:05 AM

Another one that might be fun. Henry Cavill has been busy since he took off the long white wig.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12788 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:41 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 02 February 2024 - 10:05 AM, said:

Another one that might be fun. Henry Cavill has been busy since he took off the long white wig.

The trailer kept on saying it's a true story, but I feel like that can't be accurate. This looks far too ridiculous 😆

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 02 February 2024 - 04:41 PM

#12789 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 February 2024 - 12:41 PM

Why hasn't anyone posted the new Road House trailer yet?

This looks way better than it has any right to be. Gyllenhaal doesn't have the coolness of Swayze but this looks damn fun. McGreggor is a perfect movie villain.

(Also I liked Rebel Moon)

#12790 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 February 2024 - 12:58 PM

Blegh, looks fun but seeing that scumbag McGregor in it is a major tur off

#12791 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

Just imagine the satisfaction when Gyllenhaal tiger claws his throat out.

#12792 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:59 AM

"Realistic" action? colour me intrigued.

#12793 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:50 AM

Looks tight.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12794 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 February 2024 - 09:09 AM

OK, looks different and interesting.

#12795 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 February 2024 - 09:35 PM

Colin Mocheri, love that guy

#12796 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:43 PM

Apparently Dune 2 hits the UK cinemas on the 1st of March. Can't wait!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12797 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:40 AM

View PostGorefest, on 16 February 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

Apparently Dune 2 hits the UK cinemas on the 1st of March. Can't wait!

Dune 2 first reactions:

https://editorial.ro...f-a-generation/

Apparently best thing since sliced bread. We'll see I guess.

In other news:

Oooooookayyyyyyyyyy ... :ermm:

#12798 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

This Harry and the Henderson's prequel needs more Nicolas Cage.

#12799 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 February 2024 - 04:12 PM

Don’t know if Hollywood is going for a more Everyman approach (I don’t think so, since all famous actors are still genetic specimens) or me getting older but the quality or look or leading men and women in Hollywood has changed.

Timothy Chamelet is 28 but doesn’t look out of place playing a teenager Paul atreides in dune. Zendaya is similarly 27 but looks younger.

I had to look it up and was shocked by the answer but Angelina Jolie was only 24 when she played tomb raider and she looked like a grown women and became a sex icon. Of course I was like 14 at the time but even looking at her in that movie today she strikes me as older than 24.

Action stars used to be Arnold, Stallone and Bruce Willis and today we have Tom Holland string in uncharted.

The leading stars all seem younger, shorter, less muscled on average. Men and women both. Am I cherry picking here or is this a real trend? Why?

I also feel like star power in general is diminishing. A Bruce Willis movie was a Bruce Willis movie. It was written for and marketed for him it felt like. Angelina Jolie was the go to sex icon for a few years. Feels like no one gets that same kind of recognition anymore.

Although actors also seem to purposefully not want to be type cast in the same way but did being type cast as an action star hurt Bruce Willis career or catapault it?

#12800 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 February 2024 - 04:32 PM

View PostCause, on 18 February 2024 - 04:12 PM, said:

Don't know if Hollywood is going for a more Everyman approach (I don't think so, since all famous actors are still genetic specimens) or me getting older but the quality or look or leading men and women in Hollywood has changed.

Timothy Chamelet is 28 but doesn't look out of place playing a teenager Paul atreides in dune. Zendaya is similarly 27 but looks younger.

I had to look it up and was shocked by the answer but Angelina Jolie was only 24 when she played tomb raider and she looked like a grown women and became a sex icon. Of course I was like 14 at the time but even looking at her in that movie today she strikes me as older than 24.

Action stars used to be Arnold, Stallone and Bruce Willis and today we have Tom Holland string in uncharted.

The leading stars all seem younger, shorter, less muscled on average. Men and women both. Am I cherry picking here or is this a real trend? Why?

I also feel like star power in general is diminishing. A Bruce Willis movie was a Bruce Willis movie. It was written for and marketed for him it felt like. Angelina Jolie was the go to sex icon for a few years. Feels like no one gets that same kind of recognition anymore.

Although actors also seem to purposefully not want to be type cast in the same way but did being type cast as an action star hurt Bruce Willis career or catapault it?

Interesting question. In terms of actual height (vs illusory movie height) I'm not sure if that's true: there are many counterexamples (Stallone and Tom Cruise are short for example, plenty of other short movie stars of both sexes iirc).

From 2015:

it's well-known that Hollywood actors skew short — especially leading males. Robert Downey Jr., America's highest-paid actor at the time of this writing, is below average at 5' 8". Other high earners like Mark Wahlberg, Tom Cruise, and Zac Efron are below average. (One of my personal favorites, Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow, is 5' 8" as well.)

Film producer Brian Hennessey sums up a common explanation:

"The dynamic of 'shorter' actors is mostly a result of practicality. There is more of an abundance of actors and actresses of average height so they are easier to cast. They are also by and large easier to shoot. It is somewhat challenging to frame an actor who is 6 foot 3 inches when the rest of the cast averages 5 foot 9. This is especially true when a male actor is significantly taller than a female actor in a romantic themed story.

There is also a number of stars who are uncomfortable working with actors who are significantly taller for fear of appearing too short. They can have a significant influence on the casting choices of a film. Then there is the aspect of taller men by and large choosing to participate sports over performing arts early on in school, thus leaving a smaller pool of skilled taller actors for films."

Heightism and Success: Why are actors short and presidents tall? | by Shane Snow | Medium

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 February 2024 - 04:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users