#12821 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

View Postworry, on 04 March 2024 - 03:25 AM, said:

Looks terrible.

I'll probably have to watch it twice.

Just to.... really appreciate it... for how terrible it is.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12822 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:28 PM

Looks completely awful

#12823 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:32 PM

On the otherhand, Dune Part Two was a pretty awesome movie. Knowing the story lines in advance probably impacts how I rate it. But it was beautifully made, acted, and all around a joy to watch.

8 out of 10 spice addicts recommend it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12824 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:35 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2024 - 04:52 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 04 March 2024 - 03:25 AM, said:

Looks terrible.

I'll probably have to watch it twice.

Just to.... really appreciate it... for how terrible it is.

I would definitely watch it haha it looks dumb but funny.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12825 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 March 2024 - 10:00 PM

It's got James Acaster in it and therefore warrants at least consideration.

Dune 2 rocks.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12826 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:41 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 March 2024 - 10:00 PM, said:

Dune 2 rocks.

Hans Zimmer worked in conjunction with Synapse Audio to develop a new polyphonic version of their Minimoog emulation for the soundtrack---I'm eagerly awaiting its release next week. With Hans Zimmer's actual presets from the film.

Kevin Schroeder (@kevinschroeder_ks) • Instagram photos and videos

(He did something similar years ago for The Dark Knight returns iirc---Dark Zebra HZ which I've had for a while.)

#12827 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:59 AM

I went to the cinema in the first time in - I think - about 7 years, maybe more, to see Dune 2. It's quite the experience and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen and didn't have to pause every now and then cos one of the twins was messing around or something...

Great film, though it did make me wonder why no one ever uses guns/blasters anything in the hand to hand fight scenes, whether it big the larger scale battles or some of the smaller ones...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12828 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:33 AM

Cuz they all have Holtzman shields.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 08 March 2024 - 08:34 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12829 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 March 2024 - 12:51 PM

Dune: Part Two's bad guy is hairless, sadistic, and scary. Why are fans so horny for him?

Spoiler

Dune 2: Why Austin Butler's Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen has fans smitten. (slate.com)

lol

#12830 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 09 March 2024 - 03:28 AM

Yeah fine was great but they sort of forgot about the shields, which is why everyone is fighting with swords in the first place. That’s like my only criticism though. First theater movie in a long time, it was worth it. The sound added a lot to the experience. Now it sounds like they will take a break and then do the next book as the third act of a trilogy. That’s probably a good bet, iirc the books get way out there by the end.
Error: Signature not valid

#12831 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

Prime mvie last night
Ricky Stanicky

silly? yes
funny? yes
John Cena being hilarious? yes

Low effort watching, very funny in places, predictable to a certain extent and probably a bit light on true heart but the comedy makes up for it.
worth a watch

#12832 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 March 2024 - 09:14 AM

Damsel on Netflix, with Milly Bobby Brown.

Not bad. Some obvious girlbossy moments, and the guys might as well be cardboard cutouts.
But that's kind of the point. The movie is about Elodie, the dragon (voiced by the always cool Shohreh Aghdashloo) and Queen (Robin Wright) Isabelle, plus a different version of history.
I've seen some reviews bemoaning the simplicity of the script and how they didn't take "risks". Meh, it's fine for what it is. It's not setting out to be super complex, just to tell a decent story for an audience that isn't jaded old farts.

A nice entertaining little YA spin on the old tale.

Seven molten magma burning dragons out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 March 2024 - 09:18 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12833 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2024 - 04:43 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 March 2024 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 March 2024 - 06:18 PM, said:

SHOGUN.

This is good tv.

Indeed. The third episode was brilliant! So much detail and craftsmanship good into each shot. The feeling of the show build up of pressure between all the different factions is just great storytelling.

ETA: reply moved to TV thread, my oops, sorry.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 12 March 2024 - 05:15 PM

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12834 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2024 - 04:56 PM

This THE CROW remake looks not bad. Not bad at all.

#12835 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 March 2024 - 08:58 PM

I'm watching Starship Troopers for the first time in years. Few things standing out to me:

1. Such fun! Like it's pretty goofy considering how violent it gets.
2. The spoof of fascism and suchlike is more obvious now I'm a little more politically astute.
3. Oh my days Neil Patrick Harris is ageless! He's just as young and fresh looking now as he ever was!
4. My crush as a much younger person on Denise Richards was quite well founded it seems. She is a very beautiful lady and she plays her part very well!
5. They need better guns, like seriously. They stand there blasting the bugs for ages before just one of them dies. How many troops could have been saved by having better weapons?
6. This film is great.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 14 March 2024 - 09:24 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12836 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 March 2024 - 08:58 PM, said:

I'm watching Starship Troopers for the first time in years. Few things standing out to me:

1. Such fun! Like it's pretty goofy considering how violent it gets.
2. The spoof of fascism and suchlike is more obvious now I'm a little more politically astute.
3. Oh my days Neil Patrick Harris is ageless! He's just as young and fresh looking now as he ever was!
4. My crush as a much younger person on Denise Richards was quite well founded it seems. She is a very beautiful lady and she plays her part very well!
5. They need better guns, like seriously. They stand there blasting the bugs for ages before just one of them dies. How many troops could have been saved by having better weapons?
6. This film is great.

It's one of my favorites because it's so well done as satire that it stays entertaining, while making some savage criticisms.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12837 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 March 2024 - 04:16 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 March 2024 - 08:58 PM, said:

This was most likely a stylistic choice by Paul Verhoeven. The book and the film take a very different approach to the subject matter. In the book, the humans are way more overpowered and the whole conflict is more politically motivated. The book delves mostly into the exploration of citizenship, civic duty and militarism and it is more militarist, meritocratic and anti-marxist in its worldview (the bug hivemind concept possibly being an allegory for communism). The film goes the complete opposite direction and puts a satirical spin on it as a sort of fascism spoof, although it always surprises me that so many movie goers seem to miss the blatant satire. Might be because I'm Dutch/not American and we don't do nationalism/patriotism in the same way, plus I had been exposed to more Verhoeven films (both Dutch and international) when I first watched ST. In the book, the mobile infantry has power armour and can easily defeat swarms of bugs without breaking a sweat. In the movie, Verhoeven focussed more on the wastefulness, stupidity and 'act-without-questioning' approach of a fascist military command, who are more interested in keeping the conflict going to remain in power than to preserve human lives. There is even a suggestion that the bug attack on Buenos Aires in the movie was manufactured, a false flag, to rile up the citizens against the bugs.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12838 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:06 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 March 2024 - 09:14 AM, said:

Damsel on Netflix, with Milly Bobby Brown.

Not bad. Some obvious girlbossy moments, and the guys might as well be cardboard cutouts.
But that's kind of the point. The movie is about Elodie, the dragon (voiced by the always cool Shohreh Aghdashloo) and Queen (Robin Wright) Isabelle, plus a different version of history.
I've seen some reviews bemoaning the simplicity of the script and how they didn't take "risks". Meh, it's fine for what it is. It's not setting out to be super complex, just to tell a decent story for an audience that isn't jaded old farts.

A nice entertaining little YA spin on the old tale.

Seven molten magma burning dragons out of ten.

Is the ending really
Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12839 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2024 - 04:24 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 March 2024 - 08:32 PM, said:

On the otherhand, Dune Part Two was a pretty awesome movie. Knowing the story lines in advance probably impacts how I rate it. But it was beautifully made, acted, and all around a joy to watch.

8 out of 10 spice addicts recommend it.

Dune 2 was fun but at the end of the movie I am not sure it made sense. I have book knowledge so I know how Paul wins. I am not sure the movie explains it adequately.

Spoiler

#12840 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:41 PM

Went to see Dune 2 with my wife who has never read the books. I liked it, she was underwhelmed and confused. Not sure what target audience Villeneuve has been aiming for, there definitely isn't very much exposition at all.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users