• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12421 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2022 - 09:43 PM

Wow

Just wow.

This is like the most spectacularly badgood awful what did I just watch bust out laughing at times movie

#12422 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 December 2022 - 11:58 PM

Got the reserved tickets to do the IMAX 3D Avatar.... hoping I'm not wasting my money on this Christmas Eve matinee....

More like, my wife who hates watching moves agreed to come and I really would like to continue to get her to go to the theater. Last one we saw was Maverick, which was a fun theater experience. Hopefully this one is simlilar?

Guess we'll see.

Abyss, if it sucks I'm going to blame your "beautiful, was entertained and would see it again " lukewarm review.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12423 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 December 2022 - 09:08 PM

I thought AVATAR 2 was spectacular. Filled with vivid imagery, tight worldbuilding, abs tones of emotion. Just a really excellent continuation of the series. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for 3!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12424 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:18 AM

Is there a half time break in the middle where you can go and pee? I can't imagine sitting for 3+ hours without my bladder bursting.

#12425 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 December 2022 - 08:50 AM

Watching Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery on Netflix.

Halfway through, seems fun so far, again quite the homage to Agatha Christie. Except for SPOILERIFIC! DO NOT READ IF YOU HATE SPOILERS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :p
Spoiler

EDIT: Janelle Monae is the clear standout, she's really good. Of the rest most are clearly having fun and/or hamming it a bit, but IMHO Dave Bautista does probably the best job. I really like his willingness to play against type or muck around with it and do it quite well. Ever since Blade Runner 2049 actually. John Cena has been doing it a bit as well (see Trainwreck and Peacemaker).

EDIT2: loving the cameos. :lol:

Well, that ended up more fun than I thought halfway through.

Eight southern accents out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 December 2022 - 10:26 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12426 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:23 AM

I enjoyed wakanda forever.

Now that the movie is over though, I can’t understand why. I think it was probably a mess but I enjoyed it. Maybe I was just in a good mood.

That said bombs that release a deluge of water? Is this magic? Makes absolutely no sense otherwise but it’s never explained.

#12427 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:56 PM

The Banshees of Inishiren was pretty good - it's not beating one about the head with being a metaphor for the Civil War, has some great small town life bits, is very much against isolationism while being appreciative of the beauty of the country. I think a bunch of people will bounce off this movie though. It's not for everyone and the laughs are less stuff that's outrageously funny and more along the lines of "real people would say and do some of these slightly silly things".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12428 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:36 PM

Watched Knives Out and Glass Onion.

I LOVE these kinds of murder mysteries where a host of characters are gathered at a location where someone is killed, and the detective has to solve the crime.

I'm not so fond of the gimmick of revealing "the murderer" and then doing a twist but the movies do it well.

The characters are what makes it fun. Daniel Craig's character is especially silly and fun to watch.

#12429 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 January 2023 - 02:03 PM

So one of my biggest complaints about WAKANDA FORVER was that the underwater sequences and locations and sets were murky, dark, and just generally terribly filmed and presented.

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER on the other hand is a fucking MASTERCLASS on how to not only make underwater sequences work (night or day) well, but make them kinetic, and gorgeous at the same time.

I feel like these two films should be taught in a class about cinematography and lighting as how to do it (AVATAR 2), and how not to do it (BP: WAKANDA FOREVER).

----------------------

Oh, and I decided to be a bit cheeky today and collect the last ten years of "snark/naysaying/who is asking for this" comments about this movie from this forum. Sorry to all I've quoted below in my cheekiness, it's all in good fun!

I think even those of us who bet on Cameron didn't expect the film to not only 0% drop, but go UP 7% in revenue in it's third week (and insane feat). The legs on this will push it over AVATAR 1's performance.

View PostMacros, on 24 April 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

to be honest the only selling point for avatar for me at all was that it was pretty and actually made good use of 3d, but it epitomised how much of a gimmick 3d was.
Dances in wolves in space with smurfs, I don't see a need for a sequel let alone 4 more. you're better than this cameron

View Postamphibian, on 06 January 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Avatar is the worst movie ever to be a smash hit.

What part really gets me about the movie is that the hero supposedly creates a lifetime bond with that one little dragon and then promptly abandons it for a bigger, better version. "Hey buddy, I'm just using you to get at the upgrade. I don't really care about your devotion to me and/or your courage in going up against the apex predator of the Avatar universe to deliver me safely to its back."

I like this comment because AVATAR: TWOW actually answers your latter complaint Apmh in the fact that the bigger "dragon" (Toruk Makto, of legend) was only used for the big fight at the end of AVATAR 1 and then lets it go, and he then returns to the Ikran he initially bonded with for the next what? 16 years? and it's the one he uses to fly to the new home in the reefs. Cameron always has a plan.

View PostSilencer, on 28 September 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

View PostHoney Cups, on 28 September 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

Some Avatar news hit today. I think we have a thread but I'm being lazy and not looking. I ll spoiler it I guess.
Spoiler

The scripts for 2-5 are already fully written.

Does anyone even want any of these films? What a waste of time and money. *sigh*

View PostSilencer, on 25 April 2017 - 05:34 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 24 April 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'm just worried by movie 3 we ll be bored and not give a fuck anymore.

...we...aren't already? XD

Avatar was one of the most boring movies made in the new millennium (largely because it had zero unique plot, and relied solely on the gimmick of 3D to make it a spectacle, and while the 3D was great, in the end it highlighted how little the film or actors had to offer - excluding the villain, who was brilliant). Such a waste of time and money to make more.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 May 2021 - 02:55 AM, said:

The takeaway from Avatar should have been "a cool, well-executed gimmick (3D) and cutting-edge CGI elevated a mediocre film" and not "this was an incredible film and we should make more of it"

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12430 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 January 2023 - 02:54 PM

Aw, I'm gutted. I'm sure I put forward a fair share of vitriolic comments about the new Avatar film in recent times. Or maybe it was all just inside my head. But to be fair, I haven't had a chance to go and see the new Avatar yet, so I'm not in a position to comment any more.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12431 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 January 2023 - 02:59 PM

View PostGorefest, on 03 January 2023 - 02:54 PM, said:

Aw, I'm gutted. I'm sure I put forward a fair share of vitriolic comments about the new Avatar film in recent times. Or maybe it was all just inside my head. But to be fair, I haven't had a chance to go and see the new Avatar yet, so I'm not in a position to comment any more.

I did a search for the title, so if you commented without the title it didn't pop up for me.

Ah well.

#12432 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:17 PM

You aren’t Honey Cups?!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12433 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 January 2023 - 02:59 PM, said:

I did a search for the title, so if you commented without the title it didn't pop up for me.

Ah well.

Looks like my comments were all made in a forum thread called 'Avatar sequels'. So I can see why you probably missed them.

@Worry: I'd considered Honey Cups but I eventually settled on Gorefest as my moniker, so nope, wasn't me. To be fair, if you think it was a poor pick for this forum, just imagine what it did to my stripper career. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12434 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:52 PM

There’s a market for strippers named Gorefest!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12435 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:52 AM

I was underwhelmed by the story in Avatar, I'm sure I will catch #2 at some stage, but I can't see me being any further enamoured, 3d well done is all fair and well, an the pretty cinematography is all fair and well. But I generally don't give a shit about that stuff unless is so badly shot I can't watch/ follow the story, your move nerds!

#12436 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 01:34 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 January 2023 - 11:52 AM, said:

I was underwhelmed by the story in Avatar, I'm sure I will catch #2 at some stage, but I can't see me being any further enamoured, 3d well done is all fair and well, an the pretty cinematography is all fair and well. But I generally don't give a shit about that stuff unless is so badly shot I can't watch/ follow the story, your move nerds!

For what it's worth Mac, I feel like you'll be more impressed by the story and the character interactions in 2.

#12437 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:00 PM

Something else I'd like to comment on about AVATAR:TWOW...I kept thinking as I was watching it, beyond the action and the story beats, I kept thinking that if David Attenborough made a Nat Geo/BBC HD documentary about Pandora and its wildlife, this is 1000% what it would look like. I keep having that thought anytime Kiri was just sort of dwelling on the planets attachment to Eywa that she felt... and watching elements of the plantlife and wildlife around her...my brain was like "Wow, what a spectacular National Geographic Documentary this scene is!"....

Like...man....if you gave me a whole 2 hour documentary about the wildlife on Pandora, I would watch the shit out of that....

Going to try and see it again Friday I think. Need another dose.

#12438 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2023 - 01:51 PM

I have a few Criterion Kurosawa flicks I got as gifts that I've not watched yet, so last night the wife and I popped in HIDDEN FORTRESS. It's amusing knowing that George Lucas hoisted a LOT of this for STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE, because SO much of it is clearly cribbed. I think the funniest thing in said comparison is that the two peasants (Matashichi & Tahei) who are where Lucas took Inspo for Threepio and R2...are not just the lackeys who help the Princess and the General do shit, but they are also CONSTANTLY trying to run and steal the gold, or contemplating assaulting the Princess while she sleeps only to be almost killed by a prostitute with a huge rock...like you could not find more grim analogies for our happy droids...they are hilarious though.

Even in what is CLEARLY a crowd-pleaser and super accessible "blockbuster" type film for Kurosawa, one in which many of the English critics who saw it found it superficial at best...he STILL manages to nail the things he sets out to do like in most of his other work. Like FFS the blocking alone in some scenes is exquisite. And this man (I dunno if I've said this before), even in the 1950's knew how to shoot in the rain outdoors and make it looks perfect.

Just a really awesome film.

There's a reason Kurosawa is one of the greatest directors who ever lived...hell, he might be THE best in my eyes...when he can deliver on even his more popcorn-y fare like this.

And it goes without saying that the BluRay Criterion remaster (including recreating Perspecta sound) is a sound and image marvel. Looks like it was shot yesterday.

The only complaint registered is by my wife who found Misa Uehara's performance as the Princess almost "shrill" yelling...and I can't say that this wasn't the case, but I am chalking it up to the character of the Princess being raised to behave like a man, and perhaps this was Kurosawa's instruction to have her affect her own version of the gruff forceful voice that many male actors use in his films? Either way, didn't bother me as much as her.

#12439 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 January 2023 - 02:23 PM

QT, something you may like. It's just a short, but it's quite entertaining and to me it illustrates some of what you and many other have said about The Hidden Fortress and Star Wars:

I found it a hoot :)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 January 2023 - 02:24 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12440 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:40 PM

Re-watching EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE, and this really is my fave film of 2022 without a doubt - Like I liked other stuff like TOP GUN 2 and AVATAR 2 but EEAAO is on a different level of enjoyment. In fact, I might argue this is my fave film since I saw BLADE RUNNER 2049 and probably goes into my top ten all time best....it's an exquisitely plotted and acted film. Every single moment is special, or strange, or amazing, or tense, or emotional... and the actors all elevate it even further than it might have otherwise been.

It would not work quite as well as it does without the heart that Quan, Yeoh, and Hsu all bring to the table, they deserve every accolade for their performances.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users