• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12381 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 December 2022 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 December 2022 - 10:58 PM, said:

I hate myself over how much I like the original Avatar movie.

Why? It's legitimately a great movie.

On that note, I got my tickets to see AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER in IMAX 3D next week! Super excited!

It looks good. The premise is great. You scratch beyond that surface and there isn't a lot there other than uncomfortably sexy blue aliens.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12382 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2022 - 11:50 AM

They've definitely awakened something in latent furries who just aren't into the canine & feline mascots that dominate the scene. Probably for folks who wanna bang lemurs and antelopes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12383 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 December 2022 - 12:04 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 15 December 2022 - 09:35 AM, said:

On that note, I got my tickets to see AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER in IMAX 3D next week! Super excited!

It looks good. The premise is great. You scratch beyond that surface and there isn't a lot there other than uncomfortably sexy blue aliens.

'Cameron contracted a linguistics consultant at the University of Southern California to begin development on Na'vi — a lexicon of more than 2,800 words, drawing on the rarest structures of human language. From there, the anecdotes only got more insane: a team of botanists advising on imaginary flora [...]'

'Avatar' and the Mystery of the Vanishing Blockbuster - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

So some aspects of 'worldbuilding' were apparently well-funded and (probably? it's been a long time) well-represented, though overshadowed by the novelty of the 3D. But story, culture?... those seem to have been left up to Cameron, the Great Author of the Titanic?...

'Divorced from the dazzle of visual effects, I could see the aesthetic universe of "Avatar" for what it was: a glorified World Market sale section. The Na'vi alone were just a tiki-bar mishmash of traits that white people perceive as foreign: dreadlocks, beadwork, body mods, loincloths, feathers, cowrie shells. Compared with that of Hogwarts or Tatooine, the logic of their world seemed to lack imagination: What were the odds that, galaxies away, a society not only had two genders, but those genders were "male" and "female" — and the females were stacked?'

They could have tried reaching out to indigenous groups and paid those willing to consult on the film... working with sci-fi/fantasy authors to develop the world in ways that those indigenous groups generally approve of (and promoting the art and culture of those indigenous groups in ways that will economically benefit them).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

#12384 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 December 2022 - 12:06 PM

View Postworry, on 15 December 2022 - 11:50 AM, said:

They've definitely awakened something in latent furries who just aren't into the canine & feline mascots that dominate the scene. Probably for folks who wanna bang lemurs and antelopes.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12385 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:02 PM

Precisely.

#12386 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:04 PM

'The Way of Water is nothing if not a triumph of world-building. Fans of fantasy, speculative sci-fi, and YA romance are sure to be drawn in'

'Neither dialogue nor character development are the strong points of this visually dazzling plunge, but you don’t need fine shadings of meaning to grasp the stakes of these scenes. Not unlike Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy [...] Cameron’s Avatar movies are grand-scale event pictures that are still somehow as simple as storytelling gets.'

[CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS (not sure how much of this will be in the trailers)]

Avatar 2 review: The Way of Water works best as history’s most expensive nature documentary

lol at the LoTR comparison... have a feeling the author isn't really all that into fantasy (but IDK... to be fair, Tolkien is (at least) a bit overrated...).

#12387 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:09 PM

I am entirely comfortable w the sexy blue aliens.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12388 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:09 PM

"...you don’t need fine shadings of meaning to grasp the stakes of these scenes" isn't a compliment. You don't need fine shadings to grasp the stakes of Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties either, but they help if you want to make a movie that's better than its own Wikipedia plot synopsis. My feelings on the first one are very mixed, and I'd love for this one to offer more rather than just be on par with it.

#12389 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2022 - 04:09 PM, said:

I am entirely comfortable w the sexy blue aliens.

I freely admit that in 2009 Zoe Saldana as a sexy blue alien with a prehensile tail....um...did things to me. So yeah, comfortable would be an understatement.

We also get Kate Winslet Blue Alien this time, and I've had a crush on her for many years.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12390 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:17 PM

That's kind of a role reversal for her...it was Leo who turned blue at the end of Titanic.

#12391 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:29 PM

View Postworry, on 15 December 2022 - 04:17 PM, said:

That's kind of a role reversal for her...it was Leo who turned blue at the end of Titanic.

Some days good sir, you are INCREDIBLY "on". This is one of those days. I laughed really out loud at this.

Also, how long till Leo shows up in these movies too?

-----------

So anyone want to hear the speculation on the thing from the 4th movie script that made the guy in charge at Disney go "Holy shit" and "no notes. None." to James Cameron?

I'll spoiler it in case I'm right....

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12392 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 04:29 PM, said:

Some days good sir, you are INCREDIBLY "on". This is one of those days. I laughed really out loud at this.

-----------

So anyone want to hear the speculation on the thing from the 4th movie script that made the guy in charge at Disney go "Holy shit" and "no notes. None." to James Cameron?

Spoiler

Yah, but on the other hand unobtanium.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

-----------

Spoiler

You mean a real term used by scientists? Yeah, it was way off base....We're also talking about a humanity who many of refused to do the minimal things asked of them to protect themselves and others from a deadly virus AND believed it was a world illuminati plot to control us...nothing they write about how humans name shit is EVER going to bother me again...humans are dumb as fuck it turns out.

#12394 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

-----------

Spoiler

You mean a real term used by scientists? Yeah, it was way off base....We're also talking about a humanity who many of refused to do the minimal things asked of them to protect themselves and others from a deadly virus AND believed it was a world illuminati plot to control us...nothing they write about how humans name shit is EVER going to bother me again...humans are dumb as fuck it turns out.

'is not a real chemical nor is it an element. It is, however, superficially similar-looking in name to the temporary name given to a once-theoretical element with an atomic number of 118 — ununoctium and other once unnamed elements.'

Is 'Unobtainium' a Real Element? | Snopes.com

'Unobtainium is not a real element, but it is a real word! Since the 1950s, engineers and scientists have used the word to describe the perfect material to solve a particular engineering problem—except that it doesn't exist!

Over the years the meaning of unobtainium has been expanded to describe real elements on Earth that are very rare and expensive (although they do exist), many of which are used in electronics.'

Unobtainium isn’t real...or is it? | The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

#12395 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:22 PM

Had a feeling you'd weigh in...yeah I don't care if it's an element... It's a term that is used. End of.

#12396 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 December 2022 - 05:16 PM, said:

So not only does this make the movie look utterly phenomenal, but that "mom to son speech" made me legit cry...fuck me these movies are special.

I thought you didn't like the first one?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12397 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:30 PM

Oh right, I never updated you guys...

After all that I finally sat down and watched it all the way through one day during lockdown, and after the initial issues I had with the way it seemingly looked, I settled in and really enjoyed it.

My son became obsessed with it (he loves Spider-Man) and so now I've seen it about 10 times and I adore it.

I think it's one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Between this and my revisit of TLJ, I think that's two of the biggest mea culpa's I've ever offered on here about changing my stance on a movie to agree with all of you. :D I was wrong, you guys were right.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 December 2022 - 07:30 PM

#12398 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 December 2022 - 09:24 PM

"Rating failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Between this and my revisit of TLJ, I think that's two of the biggest mea culpa's I've ever offered on here about changing my stance on a movie to agree with all of you. :D I was wrong, you guys were right.

Uhhhhhh ... please refresh my memory on your revisit of TLJ? I actually went looking for it but my search-fu is weak. In my defence, I am old and have a memory like a particularly large-holed sieve.

Although someone does need to screenshot that emphasised bit above for evidence posterity, regardless of context. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12399 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 December 2022 - 09:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

I was wrong, you guys were right.

Folks, either QT was hacked or this is a day to tell your grandchildren about haha...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12400 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:18 PM

What the what?

Seeing as how I thought LADY BIRD was middling at best (Fuck you smash cut ending shot), and I LOATHED her shit take on LITTLE WOMEN...I can't see myself being into whatever this Greta Gerwig project ends up being...

People on movie reddit seem really excited about this...I haven't the foggiest clue why.

Also it debuts the same day as Nolan's OPPENHEIMER....so...you know...good luck with that box office Matchup I guess?

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users