• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12401 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:22 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 December 2022 - 09:24 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 15 December 2022 - 04:17 PM, said:

That's kind of a role reversal for her...it was Leo who turned blue at the end of Titanic.

"Rating failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Between this and my revisit of TLJ, I think that's two of the biggest mea culpa's I've ever offered on here about changing my stance on a movie to agree with all of you. :D I was wrong, you guys were right.

Uhhhhhh ... please refresh my memory on your revisit of TLJ? I actually went looking for it but my search-fu is weak. In my defence, I am old and have a memory like a particularly large-holed sieve.

Although someone does need to screenshot that emphasised bit above for evidence posterity, regardless of context. ;)

View Postchamp, on 15 December 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

I was wrong, you guys were right.

Folks, either QT was hacked or this is a day to tell your grandchildren about haha...

Here it is. I posted it in the SW thread:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 June 2022 - 01:08 PM, said:

I'd like to make a small concession.

About THE LAST JEDI

I think my upset about it blinded me to a really poignant part of it.

Kylo Ren is MISERABLE after he asks Rey to join him and she refuses. I've NEVER noticed this (I've only seen the movie once, so you'll have to forgive me). He basically gives her the Vader/Emperor offer and she refuses him and it makes him miserable. Coupled with another thing...when Luke's image tells Leia that "no one is gone forever"....I think I assumed he was talking about himself to his sister, and maybe Han....but fuck me...he's talking about Kylo. He KNOWS Ben can be redeemed. This allows me to think Luke spent like 6 years being shitty, but has finally figured it out that no one is bad forever....and I CAN'T believe I never noticed this in the film....I think I always thought that Rian was hell bent on Kylo being the big bad..but he wasn't. The last act of his film shows that Kylo is not only pulled to the light still, but his Master feels he's redeemable.

This changes a BIG reason I didn't like the movie. And now I feel like I might be able to watch it (in portions) and not hate it outright.

I still dislike MANY aspects of it, and most of those won't change and I still don't like Rian Johnson as a person (I think he's a smug shit)...but I can find things to like about this film now.

So this is me like 5 years later, being conciliatory about a movie I hated, and saying I don't hate it as much as I did, and there is value in parts of it.

There. Have at me, everyone who I raged at about this movie. I deserve it.

I like the movie quite a bit now, while still taking issues with some of it, I concede it's very good when it's good and I just didn't see the nuance of certain things on the only theatre watch I'd had of it previously.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12402 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2022 - 02:18 PM, said:

What the what?

Seeing as how I thought LADY BIRD was middling at best (Fuck you smash cut ending shot), and I LOATHED her shit take on LITTLE WOMEN...I can't see myself being into whatever this Greta Gerwig project ends up being...

People on movie reddit seem really excited about this...I haven't the foggiest clue why.

Also it debuts the same day as Nolan's OPPENHEIMER....so...you know...good luck with that box office Matchup I guess?

'"Barbie": Will Ferrell Says Greta Gerwig's Upcoming Movie Is "The Ultimate Example Of High Art And Low Art"'

'Barbie': Will Ferrell Says Greta Gerwig's Upcoming Movie Is "The Ultimate Example Of High Art And Low Art"

lol... maybe it's a satire?... Burlesque?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 December 2022 - 02:24 PM

#12403 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

Oh yeah. I'm sure she will lean into the campyness of it....but I only can go on her two previous features, both of which I largely didn't like so I'm not confident in her skills as a director OR a writer.

Other people clearly like her stuff as she's been nominated twice for screenplays...but not for me.

It could be good, but I'll wait for a teaser that doesn't ape 2001 and has some actual content to peruse before making that call.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12404 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2022 - 02:22 PM, said:

That's kind of a role reversal for her...it was Leo who turned blue at the end of Titanic.

Between this and my revisit of TLJ, I think that's two of the biggest mea culpa's I've ever offered on here about changing my stance on a movie to agree with all of you. :D I was wrong, you guys were right.

Uhhhhhh ... please refresh my memory on your revisit of TLJ? I actually went looking for it but my search-fu is weak. In my defence, I am old and have a memory like a particularly large-holed sieve.

Although someone does need to screenshot that emphasised bit above for evidence posterity, regardless of context. ;)

Folks, either QT was hacked or this is a day to tell your grandchildren about haha...

About THE LAST JEDI

Kylo Ren is MISERABLE after he asks Rey to join him and she refuses. I've NEVER noticed this (I've only seen the movie once, so you'll have to forgive me). He basically gives her the Vader/Emperor offer and she refuses him and it makes him miserable. Coupled with another thing...when Luke's image tells Leia that "no one is gone forever"....I think I assumed he was talking about himself to his sister, and maybe Han....but fuck me...he's talking about Kylo. He KNOWS Ben can be redeemed. This allows me to think Luke spent like 6 years being shitty, but has finally figured it out that no one is bad forever....and I CAN'T believe I never noticed this in the film....I think I always thought that Rian was hell bent on Kylo being the big bad..but he wasn't. The last act of his film shows that Kylo is not only pulled to the light still, but his Master feels he's redeemable.

This changes a BIG reason I didn't like the movie. And now I feel like I might be able to watch it (in portions) and not hate it outright.

I still dislike MANY aspects of it, and most of those won't change and I still don't like Rian Johnson as a person (I think he's a smug shit)...but I can find things to like about this film now.

So this is me like 5 years later, being conciliatory about a movie I hated, and saying I don't hate it as much as I did, and there is value in parts of it.

I like the movie quite a bit now, while still taking issues with some of it, I concede it's very good when it's good and I just didn't see the nuance of certain things on the only theatre watch I'd had of it previously.

I reject your concession and am still fully in the complete dog shit and set the franchise back immeasurably base.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 16 December 2022 - 02:57 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12405 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 December 2022 - 03:21 PM

That Barbie trailer makes me want to see it more than I did tbh, so it's working on me. I don't think I'll love it, but if it's on part with like Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar in terms of silly fun, I"ll be happy enough.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12406 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2022 - 03:27 PM

View Postworry, on 16 December 2022 - 03:21 PM, said:

That Barbie trailer makes me want to see it more than I did tbh, so it's working on me. I don't think I'll love it, but if it's on part with like Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar in terms of silly fun, I"ll be happy enough.

But you also like Gerwig's previous work don't you? You're likely the target audience more than I am. :)

#12407 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:41 PM

I liked Lady Bird and really liked Little Women (but that one's hard to get wrong). And Barbie seems like a whole nother animal, so it could have gone off the rails. Striking the right tone for this kind of movie is hard. For every Josie and the Pussycats, you get a couple dozen Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas's.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12408 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:11 PM

BULLET TRAIN was unexpectedly SPECTACULAR. Like I loved it. Second fave movie of 2022 after EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE.

It had no right being as good as it is. So. Much. Fun.

#12409 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 December 2022 - 10:13 PM

I'm totally in for the Barbie movie and more so after that trailer. I may be target audience. I liked Lady Bird. It's funny and captures a lot of teenage girl mindset. I wasn't keen on Barbie when I first heard about it but the marketing is working on me - Ryan Gosling as Ken seems preposterous, in a good way.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12410 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:32 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 16 December 2022 - 02:47 PM, said:

About THE LAST JEDI

I reject your concession and am still fully in the complete dog shit and set the franchise back immeasurably base.

QT is allowed to change his mind, but yeah - I'm with SB here. TLJ is the worst in the franchise by a long margin for me. I can see what RJ tried to do and why, and if he had done only about 10% of the fucking about he actually did, it might have been OK. But he went full retard and completely fucked it.

I'd like to think Disney and Lucasfilm would look at the sequel trilogy and at least come away with a few lessons learned. Chiefly "Have a coherent script or at least outline for the whole 3 films before putting different directors etc on it" but I have little faith they will. They'll just double down on "toxic fandom" etc and like all great examples of hubris will assume it's everyone else's fault but theirs. Kathleen Kennedy needs to be sacked. But who to replace her with? I don't know - maybe a 6 year old? Can't do any worse.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 December 2022 - 12:33 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12411 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 December 2022 - 02:26 AM

About THE LAST JEDI

I strongly dislike the notion of redeeming Kylo Ren. He's the enforcer or battle master for a galactic space Nazi regime. He's directly responsible for killing thousands if not millions of people.

It's not a question of can he be redemed. He needed to either die or stand trial and be thrown into a deep pit for the rest of his life.
The idea that everything would be good if Han Solo got through to him is ridiculous.

#12412 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 December 2022 - 08:34 PM

Saw AVATAR WAY OF THE WATER.
Much like i thought of the first movie, very basic - even blunt - plot, BEAUTIFUL to look at.
I was entertained, I would go see it again.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12413 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:05 AM

Hmmm ... not sure ...

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12414 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2022 - 01:34 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 December 2022 - 02:26 AM, said:

I strongly dislike the notion of redeeming Kylo Ren. He's the enforcer or battle master for a galactic space Nazi regime.

Eh, no. He's been fighting the dark side for most of his adult life. He does it in THE FORCE AWAKENS, and even after killing his own father and thinking that would be it and it would click and he could be the master ruler guy he could not bring himself to do it alone. He asks Rey for her help in THE LAST JEDI and she rejects him...and watch this face...he's MISERABLE. He needs so badly for someone to validate his reign/rule. He needs for someone to tell him that he's right. That the things he believes (erroneously, they've been planted there for years by Palpatine; First as Vader's voice, then as Snoke, and finally as Palpatine himself) are worth it, and right. They are not. This revelation shakes him and in the finale of TLJ he lashes out again, only for Luke to prove him all the way wrong. Then in TROS he's trying to find something that will signify that he's right.....but you can still see the cracks forming.

The whole trilogy leans all the way into a redemption from almost the second moment he's on screen. And while JJ and Rian disagreed about some things....they did not disagree that Kylo was headed for redemption.

He's directly responsible for killing thousands if not millions of people.

This is massively arguable. The only mass execution event that we see in the trilogy is Starkiller Base firing on the Hosnian system. That order is given by General Hux, on instructions/approval of Snoke (Palpatine). We see Kylo execute some people over the course of the films of course, sure but he never does anything else on a grander scale. Even in The Last Jedi, you gotta watch...no blood is on Kylo's hands in that film...the only person he fires upon and is ordered to be fired upon is Luke....the hologram.

It's not a question of can he be redemed. He needed to either die or stand trial and be thrown into a deep pit for the rest of his life.

He died. Saving someone else. I feel like that answers this.

The idea that everything would be good if Han Solo got through to him is ridiculous.

This is the most poignant moment in the whole trilogy. The boy who has tried to be the thing that Palpatine wanted him to be for 3 movies could not...and all it takes is his father telling him how much he cares to understand that and his fall back to the light is complete. It's VERY Star Wars in fact. Vader turned back to the light when his son asked him for help in ROTJ, and that was all it took....his son caring about him even though he was ostensibly evil...was enough to turn him back. Like watch the fight on the Death Star wreckage in TROS between him and Rey...he's not trying. He's pulling ALL his punches. He has her dead to rights like 4 times during that fight and never strikes. Becuase he doesn't want to. He's already falling back towards the light...his father was the nail.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 December 2022 - 01:37 PM

#12415 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:03 PM

#12416 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2022 - 01:34 PM, said:

...watch the fight on the Death Star wreckage in TROS between him and Rey...he's not trying. He's pulling ALL his punches. He has her dead to rights like 4 times during that fight and never strikes. Becuase he doesn't want to. ...

Lost on 75% + of the audience, unfortunately.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12417 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 December 2022 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2022 - 01:34 PM, said:

...watch the fight on the Death Star wreckage in TROS between him and Rey...he's not trying. He's pulling ALL his punches. He has her dead to rights like 4 times during that fight and never strikes. Becuase he doesn't want to. ...

Lost on 75% + of the audience, unfortunately.

Yeah, fair point.

#12418 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2022 - 06:54 PM

Watching the Samaratan, it's not so bad

#12419 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2022 - 08:16 PM

Samaratan was ok

Watching Moonfall, so far.... It is not so good

#12420 User is offline   Macros