• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1721 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:33 PM

Just something new. It's called Resolution and seems to have a New Year theme.

Production delays wouldn't make sense coz they'd never leave a margin as fine as five days...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1722 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

That was a pretty cracking New Year's episode. Had me proper chuffed to bits during parts.

I gotta say though, on the whole - and I don't want to be 'that guy' because of the momentous progress the show made in casting decisions - I was thoroughly 'meh'd' by the season, tbh. There were a few bangers for sure, but yucky, there were outright rubbish episodes also. I think they need to bring The Doctor's companion down to just one (I vote Yaz then Ryan, although Graham could be a lot of fun and would be best for comic relief). I think some of the emotional impact is diluted with so many traveling companions. I dunno, it might just be me, maybe you lot think it is fine? Agree? No?

#1723 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

https://twitter.com/...254880659509248

Trailer for the new series.

#1724 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

huh, this is to air tonight. I guess it's supposed to be a nice treat. Animated sure could be a gas. Any you DVD/Blu Ray devotees see it? Any good? I've got my dvr set just in case.

Catch The Long Lost 'Doctor Who' Adventure "The Macra Terror" On BBC America Tonight!

BBC America showing animated Doctor Who re-creations Dec. 26

#1725 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

A lot of the older dr who episodes (mid-late 1960s) were filmed in the days that film was very precious, and the BBC would often reuse celluloid tape to record other stuff. So a number of very old dr who episodes simply were taped over and lost. Mostly stories from the 1st and 2nd (Hartnell and Troughton) doctors. But they do sometimes still have the audio recordings, so they decided to animate some of those old episodes. There are some absolutely fantastic gems in there. Some of the old 60-70s stuff is actually way creepier than the modern series.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 29 December 2019 - 01:29 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1726 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:02 AM

Worp worp worp worp

That was good and I bet you weren't expecting that at the end.

#1727 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:05 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 January 2020 - 01:02 AM, said:

Worp worp worp worp

That was good and I bet you weren't expecting that at the end.

Holy shitsnacks was that EVER good!

I called that ending reveal moments before the actual reveal, but before that I was clueless.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1728 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

I was somewhat spoiled by accident so I knew it was coming but obviously I didn't think it was him at first and in any case it was beautifully delivered.

Better episode than any of last seasons I think

#1729 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

He also switched to the “character” with perfection.

And I agree it’s better than anything they did last season. Felt very WHO for the first time since 13 started.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1730 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

I was so pissed when I was scrolling through my wall on Facebook yesterday, before I had watched the new episode, and the Doctor Who group had posted a video of

Spoiler

Looking forward to seeing how this rolls out, and I agree with QT that this is the first time that 13 has really felt very Doctor Who.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#1731 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Apparently they're messing with some timelines, hence the different behavior than the last time we saw this character. Or so I've heard.

Spoiler

_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#1732 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:24 AM

Spoiler

#1733 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:55 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 04 January 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

Spoiler

Agreed -
Spoiler

_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#1734 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Got around to watching the 2 part episode to start the new season. I was going in with not very high expectations because last season has a lot of garbage episodes. Like, arguably the worst episodes of any of the seasons. It had some brilliant episodes too, but the bad episodes were enough to turn me off coming back for the new season. With that said, the kick off to this latest season was pretty awesome I have to say and gives me hope. I believe I'll be staying on for a few more episodes. I was not so keen initially on three companions when they were introduced last season, but I think they've got a balance now with the formula. The spy story line allowed the strengths of the companions shine. I hope they can keep it up. But yeah, an excellent start. Really enjoyed it.

#1735 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

Okay, that third episode was a step back for me. A lot to criticize about it, but I'll just let it lie as it is, without comment, and leave it to you lot to ponder the bad. But I will just say that the 'big surprise reveal' was sooo obvious and yeah, I guess I'm alright with the message and all, but it just seemed to be too, I dunno, corny and handled in a platitudinous way.

Tonight's new episode has me encouraged though. I gather it's subject matter deals with Nikola Tesla, who is one of my heroes. He was doing some cray-cray shizznit for his time and people during his rein of madness were all like whaaaaaa!? *mindblown

#1736 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

Reviews of ep 3 were so bad I didn't even bother.

Episode 4 was forgettable but fun.

Episode 5 was FUCKING CRAZY.

#1737 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

Firstly, I have 100% established the one thing that really bothers me about Chibnall's run thus far (other than a lot of clunky writing; but it's DW so....)...the lack of not only music, but no theme. Nine, Ten, Eleven, and Twelve ALL had themes that were used when the Doctor turns stuff around mid-episode or wherever...it ramped up the tension and joy of watching to a high level. Thirteen doesn't have that. Worse, the music that at least tried to be present in S11 (much of which I quite liked) is nigh non-existent in S12. Like I can't count how many times there was no music in a given scene because there were so many like that. In S11 Ep1 there was one tiny moment where I THOUGHT we heard the Thirteenth Doctor's theme, but it was never/ever played again (in fact it remains AFAIK 'unreleased'). So even her cool little speech in the finale this season felt underwhelming because it's accompanied by silence.
Like I know Murray Gold could be bombastic and in your face a lot of the time, but his leitmotifs were gorgeous, applicable, and welcome....the lack of music is what bothers me about Chibnall's era. I release this might be because Chibnall was weaned on largely music-less DW...but FFS man, at least give it a go. Modern DW isn't the same without it.

I sat this as someone who walked into the reception of his wedding on the agreed upon '(The Majestic Tale of a) Madman With a Box' music playing....so perhaps I'm biased.

Secondly, can we talk about the finale too?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

#1738 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

I still have to watch the 2 episode finale, but this 12th season has been quite disappointing. The season has been 8 episodes for all intents and purposes (with two-parter to start the season / two-parter to end the season), but if you were to ask me to give a summary of some of the episodes I would have no idea where to start because a few of them have been completely forgettable/throw-away. My favorite episode this season though, and it's been a stellar standout for me, is "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror". In my view, that ticked all the boxes that make for a Doctor Who instantly identifiable classic. Maybe I'm biased though because I'm a huge Tesla fanboy. I hope they make some changes to get it back on track, because season 11 wasn't that great either. Some of it may be that Peter Capaldi left quite some imposing (dare I say impossible?) shoes to fill.Posted Image

#1739 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:31 PM

Well I like it (both the season and the finale). The point-to-point writing isn't as sharp as Moffat's, dialogue wise, clearly, but he's got much better control of what's going on and in this season he managed to finesse several wow moments.

Spoiler

This is definitely my favourite season since 5 as a whole, though some of Moffat's later earlier seasons had higher highs.

#1740 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:21 AM

Got around to watching the two-part season finale. I enjoyed it.

<gulp!>
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users