• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1761 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:46 AM

The trailer for Doctor Who: Flux (13th season). My excitement level has ticked up. Six chapters/episodes, so they better be a humdinger. Begins here in the States on Halloween.

#1762 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:07 PM

huh... the episode is title "The Halloween Apocalypse." Description says "the life of Dan Lewis is about to change forever." Is this a one off, or is it going to be part of the 6 chapter/episode season 13?

#1763 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

Question answered.

Posted Image

#1764 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 November 2021 - 11:09 PM

I quite enjoyed that. Won't be able to tell if it was actually good till further along, but it was fun in a similar way to Fugitive of the Judoon.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1765 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 November 2021 - 11:09 PM, said:

I quite enjoyed that. Won't be able to tell if it was actually good till further along, but it was fun in a similar way to Fugitive of the Judoon.

Since it's part 1 of 6, all writer by Chibnall, I suspect I'll have to hold out on my opinion.

But it was chaotic, and messy....but I enjoyed the new companion, and the Lupari dog soldier guy.

I admit to being in a holding pattern with this show until RTD comes back, but I'll be happy if Chibnall can sew this season together into something worthy of DW....as so far he's never really done that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1766 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2021 - 12:28 AM

I thought it was a crackin' start. Has there been anything of this scale in the Doctor Who canon? It had some sappiness, in that it was a bit of a love letter to Liverpool (an effect of that being I was forced to turn on close captioning in order to follow along with the dialog). But damn, I hope they keep up the level of quality and look forward to a cohesive six chapter tale.

#1767 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 November 2021 - 12:28 AM, said:

Has there been anything of this scale in the Doctor Who canon?

In what sense? I mean, the answer is yes, because old-Who did long-form stories if that's what you meant and if it's the scale of the threat and story in general then well, yes, they once ended the entire universe for a cliffhanger.

#1768 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:06 PM

Threat.

Season/Episode(s) ?

#1769 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:44 AM

It's Moffatt's first season as showrunner. Series 5 of New Who. The episode in question is the two-part finale, but you really wanna watch the whole season if you haven't- it's not one big story like this, but the whole season threads into setting up the ending.

The last Russell T Davies season (so series 4) will also do you for huge-scale threat at the end.

#1770 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

Cool, thanks man.

In this "Flux" story, I like the clever turn of role the Lupari serve (and how common phrases have been switched up). If my human was Dan from Liverpool (or anyone from Liverpool for that matter), I'd have irascible behavior like Karvanista also. Who's a good boy?

#1771 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:08 PM

This has been hard to follow along with for me personally. I'll probably watch it all in one go again when all episodes have aired. Not sure if this helps:

Spoiler tagged for size
Spoiler

On a "huh, just realized that" personal experience watching this season... Grey Worm from GoT. I kept thinking, "I know I've seen him in something."

#1772 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:16 PM

Well that wrapped up. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess on the whole, I'm sort of 'meh' about it.

Karvanista was the stand out. Need more of him.

Oh my, Swarm and Azure were creepy every time they had screen time. This event ventured into high conceptual aspect of Time that was confusing (for me anyway).

I'm not to clear on what role the Weeping Angels played. Explanations anyone?

Not to clear on Division or the Grand Serpent either. Inter-body bio-projection? wut?

Passenger twist was sorta neat I guess.

Every time the Sontarans were on screen I couldn't help myself and had to giggle. They look too goofy.

I'm assuming the FOB Watch will play prominently as Jodie Whittaker exits her time as the Doctor?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 07 December 2021 - 08:16 PM

#1773 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:13 PM

New Year special was quite good, though predictably throwaway. But Aisling Bea was excellent.

#1774 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:43 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 04 January 2022 - 10:13 PM, said:

New Year special was quite good, though predictably throwaway. But Aisling Bea was excellent.

Hated it. But agree Aisling was fantastic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1775 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:35 AM

Apologies for the tangent and the superficiality, but am I weird for finding Aisling Bea quite hot?
I mean smart, funny, very easy on the eye and that accent she could read a menu and ... :heart:

Yes yes, I know I'm weird for many other reasons already ... :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 January 2022 - 01:36 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1776 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:02 AM

Wait?! There was a Doctor Who New Year's episode! I thought DW was all about the Christmas? I looked for an episode airing Xmas day and didn't see anything so I figured there'd be no Christmas episode. I didn't see it, bummer.

#1777 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:03 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 January 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

Wait?! There was a Doctor Who New Year's episode! I thought DW was all about the Christmas? I looked for an episode airing Xmas day and didn't see anything so I figured there'd be no Christmas episode. I didn't see it, bummer.

Same as last year, it's lost the Christmas Day slot. Will be interesting to see if that continues when Davies takes over or if they get the slot back.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1778 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 January 2022 - 10:03 AM, said:

Same as last year, it's lost the Christmas Day slot. Will be interesting to see if that continues when Davies takes over or if they get the slot back.

I could be wrong, but I would wager GOOD money on RTD returning the special to X-Mas Day. Chibnall just did it on NY to be contrary, like most of the other decisions he made as Showrunner.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 January 2022 - 01:17 PM

#1779 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:36 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 January 2022 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 January 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

huh, I didn't know it was a permanent change to New Year's Day. I thought last year was just a one off due to the pandemic. I rather enjoyed it when it was a Christmas tradition. Would like to see it return to that.

#1780 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:59 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 January 2022 - 07:36 PM, said:

huh, I didn't know it was a permanent change to New Year's Day. I thought last year was just a one off due to the pandemic. I rather enjoyed it when it was a Christmas tradition. Would like to see it return to that.

The last Christmas special was Twice Upon a Time in 2017. There wasn't a special at all in 2018, then we got New Year's Specials every year since, but 2020 was a fudge since the New Year's Special was really just Episode 1 of Series 12.

And yes, I highly suspect RTD will bring it back. Chibnall argued that they'd run out of ideas, which I think was a bit of a cop-out. Quite a few of the 13 Christmas Specials beforehand had a tenuous Christmas connection, or were some completely unrelated story that just happened to take place on Christmas (particularly The End of Time: Part 1). There's no reason that couldn't continue to be the case.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook