• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1701 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

Perhaps my biggest problem, out of many with the way Capaldi was used, was that he's a very talented comic actor who was far too seldom used that way or even just with a light touch.

Like, I think my favourite scene of his was this one:

Just wasn't enough of this from him though.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

This is easily my fave behind the scenes clip of Jodie so far. I literally cannot stop watching it! The way she says her name in her Yorkshire accent is mesmerizing!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1703 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Got around to watching the 'Rosa' episode. Echo everyone about about the episode striking the perfect tone in handling a delicate subject matter.

Also:
- Graham: "You ain't Banksy!"
- The Doctor: "Or am I?"

then a little later
- Graham: "He Doc, the wall!"
- The Doctor: "Banksy doesn't have one of those. Or have I?"

Any one else get that (and LOL at it)?

Finally: www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Occ7XSgQc

#1704 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Doctor Who is back in my hometown (marvellous).

It's also about giant spiders.

NOPE.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1705 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

I'm watching it. It's really (sorry) poor.
The spider/toxic waste storyline anyways.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1706 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

View PostTraveller, on 28 October 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

I'm watching it. It's really (sorry) poor.
The spider/toxic waste storyline anyways.

Yep. Weakest episode this season so far. Predictable, and other than some nice creepy spider moments...the only things that save it are the character moments with the TARDIS team, Yaz’s family, and Graham trying to deal with the loss of his wife. Chibnall nails all those moments. The spider plot line is meh.

I get why they cast Mr. Big as a Trump-like character, but his acting was garbage, and the toxic waste storyline feels very 90’s.

Still utterly adoring Jodie...and she gave us some Matt Smith-ish moments here too “I love a cup of tea at Yaz’s!”

Also, Shobna Gulati is Yaz’s mum!? Amazing! Sunita from Corrie FTW!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1707 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

So that was what the Park Hill flats filming had been about, not the season opener. Just as a disclaimer, I blame the spider mess on Sheffield Hallam University, not the University of Sheffield, seeing where the worker lived and how quickly they were in the lab after they left the Park Hill flats.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1708 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostGorefest, on 29 October 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

So that was what the Park Hill flats filming had been about, not the season opener. Just as a disclaimer, I blame the spider mess on Sheffield Hallam University, not the University of Sheffield, seeing where the worker lived and how quickly they were in the lab after they left the Park Hill flats.

Haha!

Are you Sheffield based then Gorefest?

Not my favourite episode so far, but then I was only half paying attention due to the epidemic of Shelob all over my telly. Nope!

Jodie however is still wonderful, and Bradley Walsh really needs more credit for his straight acting ability.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1709 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 29 October 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

Bradley Walsh really needs more credit for his straight acting ability.

I thought he was really good in Law & Order UK, too. Any actor who is an Arsenal fan in real life but can play a West Ham fan so convincingly on screen has to be good :(

#1710 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

Haha!

Are you Sheffield based then Gorefest?

Yeah, I work at the University of Sheffield. Lived there for about 11 years. City centre first, then Hillsborough, now Birley.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1711 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

yeah thought the episode was rather poor.

But the deaths were very creepily/upsettingly done for a pre watershed show. Good work there.
meh. Link was dead :(

#1712 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

The spider invasion / toxic waste, screw the environment at the expense of greed is a story that has been told many times before.

You guys did get the not so obvious 'we'd rather travel on unknown and dangerous adventures with The Doctor instead of stay here and experience existence with a Trump like president in 2020'? Right? It was a subtle dig at how things presently are IRL.

Yay "Team Tardis"!

Also, pthhhh. Spiders.

#1713 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 31 October 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

You guys did get the not so obvious 'we'd rather travel on unknown and dangerous adventures with The Doctor instead of stay here and experience existence with a Trump like president in 2020'? Right?

I don't think the two things were meant to be connected. Firstly, it's a time machine- they're not gonna spend months away IRL. Secondly, all three of them have, and expressed, perfectly good reasons for wanting to be away right now. And third, sure there were pops at Trump in the episode but if a British show was going to pick a political issue for its British characters not to want to be there anymore, Trump would not be the obvious go-to would he.

#1714 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

DEMONS OF PUNJAB was a great episode! I really liked the concept of the alien in this one.

The Doctor confiscating their tech was wicked.

#1715 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

I really like how they are actually using the backstories of the companions to dictate and inform episodes. It makes the whole thing feel a lot more cohesive and thought-out. Rosa Parks and now the partition, these are quite heavy themes which are (in my opinion) handled very considerately and thoughtfully and are given a personal feel due to the companion backstories. As opposed to BK I actually quite enjoyed the inbetween space hospital episode as well. Classic confined spaces and time pressures setting always works well for pushing the story along in true and tested Dr Who fashion.

#1716 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

33 minutes into Kerblam and I can swear I’ve been watching it an hour.

Boring

Weakest episode of the season by a long stretch.

The finale is REALLY good though. You should enjoy it. It's proper Doctor Who!

#1717 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 December 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

I did enjoy it while watching it though I thought that it had a little too much going on in too little time so parts felt rushed, but then I thought back and realised
Spoiler

#1718 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostGorefest, on 14 November 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

I really like how they are actually using the backstories of the companions to dictate and inform episodes. It makes the whole thing feel a lot more cohesive and thought-out. Rosa Parks and now the partition, these are quite heavy themes which are (in my opinion) handled very considerately and thoughtfully and are given a personal feel due to the companion backstories. As opposed to BK I actually quite enjoyed the inbetween space hospital episode as well. Classic confined spaces and time pressures setting always works well for pushing the story along in true and tested Dr Who fashion.

Agreed. I'm playing catch up and just watched the Partition episode. Really well handled and beautifully done.

I've a definite preference for the past-centric episodes over the futuristic ones for this series. I've got the Witchfinder one queued up for (possibly) tonight.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1719 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 11 December 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 December 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

I did enjoy it while watching it though I thought that it had a little too much going on in too little time so parts felt rushed, but then I thought back and realised
Spoiler

Huh, I didn't initially see that, but now that you mention it...it IS a really bad message of "following orders". It makes me think that Ten, Eleven and most certainly Twelve would have taken them both to task for what they did. I wonder if Chibnall just figured he could not end his finale ep with the Doctor getting her Angry out.

Also, aside from Tim Shaw being the villain, this episode didn't feel like a finale now I think about it more (though I largely enjoyed it as solid DW). It could have been mid-season even for all it affected any overall plots.

I think I just miss RTD's background story arcs that always came to a head in the finale. Bad Wolf, Daleks & Cybermen, Vote Saxon, Davros, ect.

I know Moffat's arcs went WAY overboard and the stanndaloneness of this season is probably a natural snapback to that with Chibnall choosing no real arc for the season...but is it lesser for it?

And also while I like the new composer's stuff a lot...the leitmotifs that Murray Gold did are sorely missed. I mean, Thirteen has a theme he composed for her (and it feels like a Hans Zimmer-esque version of the Tenth Doctor's theme)....but it's only ever played in the first episode (on the crane when she remembers who she is) and it quite literally never appears again...which feels so odd. If the Doctor is "winning" at something...I need that theme to swell up...that's the point of such themes.

Overall opinion on the season (not including the New Years ep...also , why did they move the ep from Xmas Day?) is that I very much enjoyed it. Jodie and the companions were stellar. The writing for the most part was solid...but there is still something missing...and I'm going to be expecting more of S12.

Also, I know people were tired of Classic Villains...but I need Thirteen to go up against some Daleks and Cybermen...and we need MUCH more involvement/meddling form Gallifrey now that it's back out of the pocket universe and such...that would add a much needed excellence to the show...while we are at it, show us Romana III is now Lady President there...

#1720 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

Wait, there's going to be a 'New Year's Day' episode?

Why leave the Christmas Day tradition? I so looked forward to and enjoyed the Christmas Day tradition and was thoroughly gutted when there wasn't one. Why? Production delays? Or just wanted to try something different with a new Doctor. Yes? No?

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users