• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1741 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Heads up. The animated treatment is again going to be applied to old Doctor Who episodes. In one episode the 3 part 'Faceless Ones' (from the 1960s?) will air tonight on BBC America.

Anyone one got any insight on that story arc? I'll probably check it out. When they did this last time, it was cool, but damn the story was really dry and didn't really keep me all that engaged, until the end, and then... whaaaaaaaaa!

#1742 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:16 PM

I have not been staying up with what is going on with the show, but was there a Christmas episode this year? Or was that cancelled due to... 2020 problems?

#1743 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 December 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

I have not been staying up with what is going on with the show, but was there a Christmas episode this year? Or was that cancelled due to... 2020 problems?

Nah, the episode is going out on New Years Day.

Now as to the reason for it not getting the prime Christmas day slot?

plenty of rumours relating to how disappointing ratings have been for last series or two, but at the moment no one knows for sure.
meh. Link was dead :(

#1744 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:29 PM

Got around to watching the New Year's Day episode. Interesting premise. Didn't knock my socks off or anything, but it was a fun journey. I guess we need to talk about what happened at the end though.

Spoiler

#1745 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:36 AM

I've been unable to like the new Doctor, no matter how hard I've tried. I wanted to believe that the doctor being a woman had nothing to do with it. I don't want to be that guy. However, I believe it is indeed hindering my ability to like the new seasons.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#1746 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:53 PM

One of my favs.

SERIES 13 FILMING REVEALS A TERRIFYING RETURNING FOE

*link is to www.doctorwhotv.co.uk

I have diminished excitement though because a good portion of the episodes in these recent seasons have been 'meh', imo.

#1747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:30 PM

Series 13 trailer. So it's eight episodes because of COVID, and is going to be one continuous story arc and not a bunch of standalones...which has not been attempted in WHO since Six's TRIAL OF A TIMELORD season (a season that Chibnall reportedly hates; so perhaps he's trying to one-up it?)

I've heard the
Spoiler
are back, so I'll be interested to see how they are incorporated into a full 8 episode story arc.

I just want one whole season where I can just enjoy Jodie just being Doctor-y and not being hampered by poor stories like she has been before. When she's ON as the character, she's so fantastic. I would LOVE to have seen what RTD would have done with her.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1748 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

Meh, the best NuDoc is Peter Capaldi and it's such a damn shame he was given so many shit stories. :(

I did try JW but yeah she has been hampered by shit writing and that godawful accent. :p

One big complaint I have with most of the NuDoc stuff is all the goddamn melodrama! Give me Tom Baker and jelly babies any day.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1749 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:19 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 July 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Meh, the best NuDoc is Peter Capaldi and it's such a damn shame he was given so many shit stories. :(

This is weird way to spell David Tennant.

One big complaint I have with most of the NuDoc stuff is all the goddamn melodrama!

See, I like the melodrama. My FAVE NuWho stories are almost ALL from the RTD-era and he LOVED him some melodrama...less so in Moffat-era.

Chibnall's era just feels so generic. Which sucks because he's got great actors doing great stuff...I just wish it was in better stories.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1750 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 July 2021 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is weird way to spell David Tennant.

Nah, it's the correct spelling for Capaldi, you must be butchering the pronounciation with all your "ehs" and "oat and aboat"s. ;)

One big complaint I have with most of the NuDoc stuff is all the goddamn melodrama!

See, I like the melodrama. My FAVE NuWho stories are almost ALL from the RTD-era and he LOVED him some melodrama...less so in Moffat-era.

Chibnall's era just feels so generic. Which sucks because he's got great actors doing great stuff...I just wish it was in better stories.

There you go, the very definition of YMMV.
It's the melodrama of Janny Wurts for example that stalled my reading of her Wars of Light and Shadow stuff. I still buy the books when they come out, but I'm waiting till the end when I can skim all the italics. I simply cannot stand melodrama. It's like they're all declaiming instead of acting and should all have the backs of their hands to their foreheads and their eyes closed every time they open their mouths. :p

But hey, more power to ya. :rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1751 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

Capaldi's shoes were hard to fill. He was just ace.

Maybe with the companion down to one now it will get better. Gonna miss Graham though.

#1752 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:08 PM

Chibnall and Whittaker both leaving the series in 2022, so this series and then three specials next year.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 30 July 2021 - 12:08 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1753 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

Whittaker leaving after three series isn’t too unheard of.

Chibnall leaving on the other hand is super sus. I know he claims he and a Jodie had a three series and out pact, but that’s not gonna fly. This means that BBC was likely unhappy with him.

I wish Jodie could stay around under another head writer…but it’s okay I guess.

Will be interested who they pick for the next showrunner and actor.

#1754 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:38 PM

I would have loved to see Capaldi under Davies as a showrunner rather than Moffatt. He is a superb actor but everything I didn't enjoy about his tenure came down to the writing, which made it very patchy. When he had material to work with though he was unreal - can't remember the name, but the episode where it's just him alone stuck on a loop in a weird castle was stunning. Also, his regeneration speech really made it hit me how wasted he was with the writing.

I watched about half of JW's first series and just couldn't stick with it. She's a great actress and I think she's great fun in the role, and I really enjoyed Bradley Walsh's character too, but overall it was inconsistent and I just couldn't gel with it.

In a way therefore, I'm far more interested in the choice of new show runner than I am Doctor.

As to best NuDoc.... unpopular opinion but I'm a huge Ecclestone fan and would have loved him to have been around longer. Of the others - toss up between Tennant (better writing) and Capaldi (for me a better actor, though not that Tennant isn't wonderful).

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 July 2021 - 01:40 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1755 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

So the new showrunner has been announced.

Russell T Davies

#1756 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:10 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 September 2021 - 03:05 PM, said:

Russell T Davies

I fucking cried the happiest tears upon reading this news. You have no idea. No one has been as good as he was since he left.

#1757 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:08 PM

He'd better have learned how to (1) write out companions when the time comes and (2) vary up the nature of the threat in the finale a bit, make it a bit more who-loopy rather than ever-larger invasion threats (to be fair, season 3 did this well, I just didn't like the power of love belief resolution).

#1758 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:41 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 September 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

He'd better have learned how to (1) write out companions when the time comes and (2) vary up the nature of the threat in the finale a bit, make it a bit more who-loopy rather than ever-larger invasion threats (to be fair, season 3 did this well, I just didn't like the power of love belief resolution).

It’s nice he got the break away from DW, so i expect him to come back with the freshness.

Also how wild would it be if Moffat comes back for a one off like BLINK. His best stuff was always the self-contained single episode stuff
And not season spanning stuff, which Davies was always more deft at.

#1759 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:31 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 September 2021 - 03:05 PM, said:

Russell T Davies

Safe, possibly a bit too safe, but I think in the 60th anniversary year it's a very wisely-considered decision. Chibnall leaving when he did (or will, rather) left the BBC in a bit of a bind that bringing in a completely new showrunner would have put them immediately under way more pressure than normal for the anniversary. The only "new" choice the BBC could make that would work there is Mark Gatiss, and I get the impression if the BBC were going to go with Gatiss they'd have gone with him over Chibnall four years ago, so that's less likely now.

On the other hand, bringing back RTD in a 1-3 year caretaker role to do the anniversary is a great move, especially if he is going to bring back Tennant (and maybe Eccleston, although that is still very unlikely, it's maybe a tad less unlikely than it was before he started working with Big Finish). It sounds like this may be a one-season deal to start with, with a view to extend if RTD fancies sticking around. I'm interested to see what RTD can do post YEARS & YEARS and IT'S A SIN, as I think those two successes will have made RTD more likely to take risks and do less-typically-DOCTOR WHO-ish things if he wants.

There are more cynical takes out there that the BBC may have decided to do this because their #1 choice, Sally Wainright, was unavailable due to her ongoing GENTLEMAN JACK project and this gives them more time for her to complete that show. Not entirely sold on Internet rumours to that end though, mainly because Wainwright has never expressed any interest in doing DOCTOR WHO and has never done any genre work at all (though her work in general has been outstanding, and her taking over would make Suranne Jones as the Doctor an even greater possibility than it already is).

The much bigger news, at least long-term, is production moving from the BBC to Bad Wolf Productions. Bad Wolf were able to make HIS DARK MATERIALS for way more money than the BBC was offering them by cutting an additional deal with HBO, and with HBO already on board with a re-airing deal for DOCTOR WHO on HBO Max, hopefully that means a big budget hike for the show. WHO has been suffering badly from the BBC's cost cap for the last decade, and this is a great way of getting around it.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 24 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#1760 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 September 2021 - 04:10 PM, said:

I fucking cried the happiest tears upon reading this news. You have no idea. No one has been as good as he was since he left.

Me too, I'm over the moon!

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 September 2021 - 05:41 PM, said:

Also how wild would it be if Moffat comes back for a one off like BLINK. His best stuff was always the self-contained single episode stuff
And not season spanning stuff, which Davies was always more deft at.

100% agree here too. Moffatt wrote some of my favourite episodes (most notably the pair The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances) but I HATED him as an overall showrunner.

If he brings old Doctors back for the anniversary, please can we have Capaldi? Capaldi's Doctor written by Davies is a dream come true for me.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 26 September 2021 - 03:26 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users