• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28761 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:22 AM

Huh, I was looking at Pickleball a year or so ago for something to do that won't break me as it's marketed as a bit of a middle-agers game here. Then life and too much work happened.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28762 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:43 AM

Pre-interview jitters.

Also I think my car has a problem with the right driver's suspension (front) so to Halfords she goes
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28763 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:30 PM

When you get the jitters do you start air drumming?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28764 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:40 AM

View Postworry, on 21 June 2022 - 09:30 PM, said:

Frequently.

Also I didn't make it to second stage interview. I am not surprised. My employment history is pretty much a litany of being passed over for promotion.

#28765 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:05 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 June 2022 - 07:40 AM, said:

Frequently.

Also I didn't make it to second stage interview. I am not surprised. My employment history is pretty much a litany of being passed over for promotion.

I've gotten to second interviews 3x in the past year. I think I got better at playing off the cues people were given, but it's brutal to start afresh with an entirely new set of people and a different job each time out.

What's your impressions of how the first interviews are going? I found that trying to head off the "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" faff was super useful to me. I hate the question because I tend to be a "can't plan it until you know some of the landscape" person and a workplace culture beyond an interview is definitely a huge component I can't plan too intensely without.

So I started asking people "In two years, what do you want me to be doing for the company or agency? What skills should I be developing early on? What should I be building towards being able to handle?"

That got immediately better results for me. The first way seemed to be a litmus test of my ambition and ability to project out with very little to go on regarding work and/or to start sharing my private/family life, which I don't like that much in an interview. The second way seemed to be a way that let them talk about development, big picture, how prepared they are for actually bringing someone on board etc. That seemed to give me more substantial things to work with.

I did botch one second interview by continually referring to my practical experience in investigations rather than taking a cue from the people interviewing me about how they are looking for a lawyer to go through the investigative paperwork and backfill or mildly supervise the actual investigators. I got caught up on the "connect back to lived experience" rather than meet them where they wanted to be.

If you want, we can go backstage and talk out interviews. I'm not an expert, yet my partner actually interviews people much more often for hiring and has coached me up quite a bit to help me suss out what the talking heads want.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28766 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:30 AM

Mother of gawd this laptop setup shit is complicated! I haven’t setup a new computer in over 13 years and I’m beyond lost at all this shit.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28767 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 June 2022 - 06:00 AM

What gets me is all the different accounts they want you to set up and have unique passwords for.
Then all the "Hey, I'm here to help you setup" etc and then they just make it worse and want you to set all this extraneous shit up.

Hit the power button, startup - boom - desktop. Let me work out customisation later at my own pace. How fucking difficult?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28768 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:40 AM

View Postamphibian, on 23 June 2022 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 June 2022 - 07:40 AM, said:

Frequently.

I've gotten to second interviews 3x in the past year. I think I got better at playing off the cues people were given, but it's brutal to start afresh with an entirely new set of people and a different job each time out.

What's your impressions of how the first interviews are going? I found that trying to head off the "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" faff was super useful to me. I hate the question because I tend to be a "can't plan it until you know some of the landscape" person and a workplace culture beyond an interview is definitely a huge component I can't plan too intensely without.

So I started asking people "In two years, what do you want me to be doing for the company or agency? What skills should I be developing early on? What should I be building towards being able to handle?"

That got immediately better results for me. The first way seemed to be a litmus test of my ambition and ability to project out with very little to go on regarding work and/or to start sharing my private/family life, which I don't like that much in an interview. The second way seemed to be a way that let them talk about development, big picture, how prepared they are for actually bringing someone on board etc. That seemed to give me more substantial things to work with.

I did botch one second interview by continually referring to my practical experience in investigations rather than taking a cue from the people interviewing me about how they are looking for a lawyer to go through the investigative paperwork and backfill or mildly supervise the actual investigators. I got caught up on the "connect back to lived experience" rather than meet them where they wanted to be.

If you want, we can go backstage and talk out interviews. I'm not an expert, yet my partner actually interviews people much more often for hiring and has coached me up quite a bit to help me suss out what the talking heads want.

In this case it was provide a presentation, which I did, using a personal project and linking it to the job I was applying for.

The feedback said I didn't do that, but I know for a fact that's some horseshit because I was quite pointed in tying the two together (i.e. I'm quite well used to putting in a lot of effort on my own to get a result and that result was the take-away from the project). So I'm left feeling like the interview was purely to humour me.

Well, whatever. We'll see what pay review brings but so far I'm decidedly unhappy with how things are since I was sold like so much meat to the new lot.

#28769 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:09 PM

Coincidentally I also had a job interview yesterday. I've been a constituted Team leader for the past five months and now we're going through the actual hiring process, because municipal jobs have to follow a standard hiring process.

Feels a bit weird to apply for your own job but I'm pretty positive about the prospect. I've applied for a different department, hoping to become department manager for our central sorting facility. It's a much bigger kind of responsibility but pretty appealing to have responsibility for one big site instead of seven libraries.

First round of interviews yesterday. Today I went through a personality test and an intelligence test. Fascinating to hear somebody analysing your answers and more or less capturing the essence of your character.

Monday is the last round of interviews. Probably should be more anxious but my boss likes me.

#28770 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:36 PM

Ferk that's intense. I'm being tapped on the shoulder to do a job for the first time ever. Having met a director who pitched the job at me last week I'm meeting the CEO next week for an 'informal' chat. Doesn't seem to be a lot of process around this which is making me quite uneasy, not sure how this fits into fair and equal access to jobs - even if they have previously been out to recruit, appointed someone and then they dropped out at the last moment.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 24 June 2022 - 04:38 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#28771 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 June 2022 - 01:51 AM

View PostAptorian, on 24 June 2022 - 04:09 PM, said:

Today I went through a personality test and an intelligence test. Fascinating to hear somebody analysing your answers and more or less capturing the essence of your character.

Not so much "fascinating" as "disturbing" in my case. :p

But good luck to you and Cy.

#28772 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 June 2022 - 12:13 PM

Shooting in Oslo…2 dead 10 injured.

Fucking hell, what is wrong with the world?!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28773 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 June 2022 - 02:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 June 2022 - 12:13 PM, said:

Shooting in Oslo…2 dead 10 injured.

Fucking hell, what is wrong with the world?!

Extreme ideology, greed/money, envy, fear, hypocrisy, class division, double standards, overcompensation. I think that pretty much covers it.

EDIT: forgot sexism and racism.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 June 2022 - 11:24 PM

#28774 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

Hope our Norwegian friends are all ok (I know Grimbear has been on FB marked safe).
Thought somewhere like Norway was mostly safe from the right wing idiocy of America but I guess it infects everywhere.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28775 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 June 2022 - 03:19 PM

Forgot about Breivik? Norway is one of the few Western countries where private gun ownership is possibly higher than in the US. The NSA types used to love flaunting Norway as an example that guns weren't the problem. They will probably stay very quiet now.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28776 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:20 PM

I hadn't forgotten about him but I figured as it has been a fair amount of time since that incident it was more of a misnomer rather than the US where it's a daily occurrence and, lets face it, a white right wing male...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28777 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:57 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 June 2022 - 06:20 PM, said:

I hadn't forgotten about him but I figured as it has been a fair amount of time since that incident it was more of a misnomer rather than the US where it's a daily occurrence and, lets face it, a white right wing male...

In this latest case: 'Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre [...] the perpetrator belonged "to an Islamist environment" but emphasized that "if this is Islamic terror, as PST [the Norwegian Police Security Service] points out, then many Muslims will feel vulnerable today and, in the time ahead. And I know that many Muslims in our country are also scared and in despair. It is our common responsibility to make it clear that no one other than the person or the people behind the attack is responsible for it."'

Oslo shooting near gay bar investigated as terrorism, as Pride parade is canceled - CNN

... so a different, but in many ways similar, subgroup of far right wing males....

#28778 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:38 AM

Last night I bought my nephew some presents (fianlly going home for a vacation after 3 years) and than went to a restaurant, where I forgot the bag and went home. I realized my mistake this morning and called the restuarant and asked if they had my bag and they said yes. I arrived this morning, said I was the guy on the phone and they handed me an empty paper bag. I laughed and thought they were just teasing me. Nope, they honestly handed me an empty paper bag and didnt think that was odd. So someone clearly left the bag behind the counter for safe keeping but someone on the staff pilfered all my belongings and left the bag. I assume what started as someone's idea to take one thing and hope no one noticed ended with everyone doing the same.

After refusing to leave the until a manager spoke to me, she agreed to give me the cash. The slip was the only thing left in the bag. I said I would consider the matter closed since she paid me back and I was a hurry to prepare for my trip. Still I actually cant get over the behavior, flat out theft.

#28779 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:22 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 June 2022 - 04:09 PM, said:

Coincidentally I also had a job interview yesterday. I've been a constituted Team leader for the past five months and now we're going through the actual hiring process, because municipal jobs have to follow a standard hiring process.

Feels a bit weird to apply for your own job but I'm pretty positive about the prospect. I've applied for a different department, hoping to become department manager for our central sorting facility. It's a much bigger kind of responsibility but pretty appealing to have responsibility for one big site instead of seven libraries.

First round of interviews yesterday. Today I went through a personality test and an intelligence test. Fascinating to hear somebody analyzing your answers and more or less capturing the essence of your character.

Monday is the last round of interviews. Probably should be more anxious but my boss likes me.

Got the job! Hurra! ... and I am utterly depressed and stressed at the same time instead of feeling like celebrating :apt:

I am now guaranteed a leadership position and will move to a new department... BUT not before September... AND they're also making me in charge of a second department... AND not filling any of the other Team leader positions until September/October!

This means that I can hope that my two other Team leader colleagues decide to stay until October, instead of quitting with a months notice - Which they really should because fuck carrying that amount of responsibility and not getting rewarded with the job - And then I can hope that the rest of the libraries don't burst into flame until there's new Team Leaders.

I can also only look forward to a slight pay bump, which I'm going to make my union rep challenge. I'm not going to juggle all this bullshit for less than what the office staff get for twirling their thumbs and creating head aches for the rest of us.

Doesn't feel great to get hired while your colleague doesn't. Right now I don't know which one of us is the lucky one.

I'm financially secure but will probably die of stress in the next 6 months!

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 29 June 2022 - 03:23 PM

#28780 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:29 PM

Walked down to the UPS store yesterday to drop off my PCR test, which needs to be processed within 24 hours. Could have used one of many drop boxes closer to me but thought it might get there more reliably from the store. Next day air has to be dropped off by 6 PM so I got there around 3 PM. There were a few people in line, so instead of waiting in line to give it to the attendant I put it in the drop box inside the store.

Now today it's showing as still not having been received. Called the store and they say, 'we don't check that box, it'll go out today'. WTF. My test just got wasted. No warning on the drop box inside the store. Fucking pieces of shit.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 June 2022 - 04:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users