• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28741 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:25 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 June 2022 - 08:59 PM, said:

That's the pits. I can't imagine my childhood without the ol' reliable pb&j in my brown bag school lunch. Remember how shitty the cafeteria school lunches used to be? Those gross slices of rubbery cheese pizza with the "there's something off" about the sauce situation, and the mystery meat hamburgers with the french fries that had been sitting in the fryer all morning so they were soggy and gross and tasted of oil that has been reused over a month. And don't even get me started on the green beans that were boiled to the point of having a mushy consistency and were sitting in a puddle of water in that section of your tray. Couldn't they have at least strained them or used those serving spoons that had the holes so the water drained off? For some reason the tots were good though. I think it was because all they had to do was put them in the oven and not burn them, so pretty idiot proof. But yeah, it was wholesome brown bagging it for me. And always a day of pb&j. And not some cheap option jelly either, like grape or strawberry, no-siree-bob, my mom made the sandwich with love and used black raspberry jam. Also, the whole spectrum of nuts were always a magical part of the Christmas holiday. Man, I couldn't live in a world where that was denied. Maybe I'm experiencing the Mandela Effect on this, but I don't recall one situation where we had to be careful about kids with nut allergies. I do recall a girl in 9th grade was screwing around on the wrestling mats and was attempting to do a back flip and she hit her head pretty hard. Even though it was on a wrestling mat, they are still not the most cushy, and so she went into convulsions and was having a seizure. I remember the Phys Ed. teacher yelling for one of the older kids to run to the cafeteria to get a wooden spoon so he could prevent her from biting her tongue. At the time we thought she was in danger of swallowing her tongue, but that's a falsity right? You can't swallow your tongue (I don't think you can anyway). Anyway, that's probably a story for another time.

What about the apple crisp? Was delicious.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28742 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:42 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 June 2022 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 June 2022 - 04:30 PM, said:

It's weird though, because when I was a kid nut allergies were not a thing. Like when did the switch happen to where it is so prevalent? Not meaning to come off as all conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat guy, but it seems like it just *poof* became a thing. Kind of like trans people grooming 3rd graders to embrace sexual reassignment surgery. Is that even a thing? When did "grooming" (of anything) become a thing also? I hear and read that word a lot these days. I groom my immaculate coiffed hair every morning and that's about the extent of grooming I'm aware of.

Nut allergies are nothing new. The internet means more awareness/discussion/hysteria and schools and camps have become more cautious but i had known nut allergic kids in school with me millennia ago.
Grooming has been a thing for years but it was applied to older men looking to take advantage of younger people/kids. Now it's directed at trans people (by a lot of the previously mentioned older men).

Nut allergies are not new, but they are more common according to the Mayo Clinic. https://newsnetwork....0are%20unclear.

There was a large study completed a few years ago that concluded the increase in nut allergies was partially self fulfilling prophecy. Essentially, if parents were told by their doctor that their newborn child had the potential to develop allergies to certain items, then the parents would shield the child from those items and the child would not come into contact with them at an early age. The intervention portion of the trial had parents expose the child to small amount of the allergen at specific times etc. The children who were not exposed to the potential allergen at early age were far more likely to develop an allergy. Maybe I'll try and dig a link to that up later.

The grooming thing now, at least in the US, is basically a bullshit line used by Republicans to demonize anyone who stands up for LGTBQ rights or opinions. As well as anyone LGTBQ.

#28743 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 June 2022 - 02:38 AM

View PostDown the shitter in the great flush, on 16 June 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 June 2022 - 08:59 PM, said:

That's the pits. I can't imagine my childhood without the ol' reliable pb&j in my brown bag school lunch. Remember how shitty the cafeteria school lunches used to be? Those gross slices of rubbery cheese pizza with the "there's something off" about the sauce situation, and the mystery meat hamburgers with the french fries that had been sitting in the fryer all morning so they were soggy and gross and tasted of oil that has been reused over a month. And don't even get me started on the green beans that were boiled to the point of having a mushy consistency and were sitting in a puddle of water in that section of your tray. Couldn't they have at least strained them or used those serving spoons that had the holes so the water drained off? For some reason the tots were good though. I think it was because all they had to do was put them in the oven and not burn them, so pretty idiot proof. But yeah, it was wholesome brown bagging it for me. And always a day of pb&j. And not some cheap option jelly either, like grape or strawberry, no-siree-bob, my mom made the sandwich with love and used black raspberry jam. Also, the whole spectrum of nuts were always a magical part of the Christmas holiday. Man, I couldn't live in a world where that was denied. Maybe I'm experiencing the Mandela Effect on this, but I don't recall one situation where we had to be careful about kids with nut allergies. I do recall a girl in 9th grade was screwing around on the wrestling mats and was attempting to do a back flip and she hit her head pretty hard. Even though it was on a wrestling mat, they are still not the most cushy, and so she went into convulsions and was having a seizure. I remember the Phys Ed. teacher yelling for one of the older kids to run to the cafeteria to get a wooden spoon so he could prevent her from biting her tongue. At the time we thought she was in danger of swallowing her tongue, but that's a falsity right? You can't swallow your tongue (I don't think you can anyway). Anyway, that's probably a story for another time.

What about the apple crisp? Was delicious.

At my elementary school---for me at least---it was the churros and the jelly donuts. Tater tots were popular, but I've never liked them (or French fries... so bland! I always preferred to just eat the ketchup). I can still vividly recall (and enjoy, and feel satisfied by) the tastes and sensations, even though I renounced all that many years ago (and never feel any significant temptation to cheat).

#28744 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:38 AM

I've heard the exposure to allergens bit before

Also the development of better responses means people with severe allergies survive as well

#28745 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:51 AM

Work stuff.

Can't elaborate more. There's birds. Birds aren't real. It might resolve. If not I'm elsewhere.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28746 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:53 AM

View PostCause, on 16 June 2022 - 03:27 PM, said:

My uk company HQ has over 100 employees, and apparently one has a very severe nut allergy. They just spend ten minutes explaining how the office will become a nut free zone.

Now I'm not in the UK, this doesn't effect me at all but I really do find it odd to ask over 100 employees to stop bringing in nuts to the cafeteria, changing suppliers for the cafeteria, telling people to say no nuts in any delivery orders etc.

If your allergy is so severe that a nut could kill you, I feel the responsibilities should be on them to bring there own food and use their own utensils. The stakes are high enough that they shouldn't risk anything else.

Anyway couldn't think were else to post this thought so here it is

Masks and covid. Protect the vulnerable, in very brief terms.

#28747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:19 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 17 June 2022 - 01:42 AM, said:

There was a large study completed a few years ago that concluded the increase in nut allergies was partially self fulfilling prophecy. Essentially, if parents were told by their doctor that their newborn child had the potential to develop allergies to certain items, then the parents would shield the child from those items and the child would not come into contact with them at an early age. The intervention portion of the trial had parents expose the child to small amount of the allergen at specific times etc. The children who were not exposed to the potential allergen at early age were far more likely to develop an allergy. Maybe I'll try and dig a link to that up later.

We gave both our kids peanut butter at like age 1, standing out front of the hospital (just in case of a reaction). Both were fine and both adore PB now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28748 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:52 AM

OK, all sorted.

Guess I better get myself a gawdang suit now

#28749 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:56 PM

Attached File  Screenshot_20220617-100034_Chrome.jpg (171.85K)
Number of downloads: 0

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 June 2022 - 11:52 AM, said:

OK, all sorted.

Guess I better get myself a gawdang suit now

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28750 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:42 PM

Iron sharpens iron.

#28751 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:10 PM

Goddamn USPS updates aren't providing Expected Delivery date/time anymore (for this package at least). I've gotten four updates today saying 'Your item departed our USPS facility in PHILADELPHIA PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER ... The item is currently in transit to the destination.' WTF is going on? They're transferring them from distribution center to distribution center inside the same city instead of putting them on a delivery truck?...

#28752 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:10 PM

My balls are sweating something fierce.

Winter needs to hurry.

#28753 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:33 PM

Estate agent and electrician were both at my flat today in prep for it going on the market.

Now, we knew the previous owner (a landlord) had the most useless handyman known to recorded history, based on all the evidence of me finding things over the five years of living there. What I have discovered today, in the company of a furious electrician, is that they clearly had a "tame" electrician at the time of me buying the place. The fusebox is too old to have been compliant then (I have the paperwork signing it off as such) and the bathroom light fitting (which said handyman installed) doesn't have any of the correct moisture protection and so, in short, could have electrocuted anyone who touched it at any point. Thank goodness the ceiling is too high to have touched it accidentally.

There is a special circle of hell, and they're all going straight there Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 June 2022 - 04:53 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28754 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:23 PM

Welcome to my world.

I’m a home inspector, and the sheer amount of shit work I see on a daily basis is astounding.

Hope it’s easy to fix.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#28755 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:03 PM

In theory swapping a board out and changing a few light fittings is a day's work, barring remedial works to sort nuisance tripping. Don't let someone take the piss and hammer you for the work they know you need done.

If you get a quote you think is a bit OTT pop it through to me

#28756 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2022 - 06:03 PM, said:

In theory swapping a board out and changing a few light fittings is a day's work, barring remedial works to sort nuisance tripping. Don't let someone take the piss and hammer you for the work they know you need done.

And if not I'm sure macros can sort you out for a very... "generous" price...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28757 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2022 - 06:03 PM, said:

Thanks, I appreciate the offer :) quote is fair and they said the same as you in that it'll be done inside a day so it's going to be sorted which is the main thing. I'm just annoyed at the falsified paperwork.

On the positive side, at least I have the peace of mind it's going to be made safe and I'm not unknowingly passing this on to the next owner.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 June 2022 - 07:42 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28758 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:13 PM

Do any of you guys have those trampoline, bouncy floor centers in your area? The one nearest me has closed (I guess it has been closed for awhile, I only recently noticed). Are they closing in your area? Is that a result of the pandemic and kids having a tendency to snot and cough on each other, so they couldn't survive the shutdowns? It's a shame because the one near me used to have overflowing car parks (we call them parking lots here in 'murica) out into the adjacent street. It really used to be cooking with business on the weekends.

Now it seems pickleball is all the rage. I remember playing it during the racket sports section in one of my Phys Ed. classes in high school. It's a lot of fun. Easy entry for the inexperienced too, unlike tennis.

#28759 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:54 PM

Nope. My neighborhood is full of them and lots of post on FB to get them rented out.

#28760 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:01 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 June 2022 - 10:13 PM, said:

Do any of you guys have those trampoline, bouncy floor centers in your area? The one nearest me has closed (I guess it has been closed for awhile, I only recently noticed). Are they closing in your area? Is that a result of the pandemic and kids having a tendency to snot and cough on each other, so they couldn't survive the shutdowns? It's a shame because the one near me used to have overflowing car parks (we call them parking lots here in 'murica) out into the adjacent street. It really used to be cooking with business on the weekends.

Now it seems pickleball is all the rage. I remember playing it during the racket sports section in one of my Phys Ed. classes in high school. It's a lot of fun. Easy entry for the inexperienced too, unlike tennis.

There's one or two in my area. There were 3 or 4. However, a few too many horrible injuries happened and the crowds kinda went away.

Axe throwing is oddly safer and rather popular here.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users