• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28781 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:51 PM

... and now apparently the only home PCR tests available are about $100, as opposed to the $40 I paid. Insurance won't cover it. Not that I can't afford it, but it's fucking exorbitant.

And after I explained the issue once to staff at the UPS store, they put me on hold for 20 minutes because they 'a customer' before getting back on to tell me they don't check that fucking box. Should have looked at the reviews before going there---many, many one star horror stories....

#28782 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:46 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 29 June 2022 - 04:51 PM, said:

... and now apparently the only home PCR tests available are about $100, as opposed to the $40 I paid. Insurance won't cover it. Not that I can't afford it, but it's fucking exorbitant.

And after I explained the issue once to staff at the UPS store, they put me on hold for 20 minutes because they 'a customer' before getting back on to tell me they don't check that fucking box. Should have looked at the reviews before going there---many, many one star horror stories....

Never got a notification that the package had been scanned into the carrier or was in transit, even though that was supposed to be automatically emailed to me... but this morning the lab said they received it. Even though it was well past the 24 hour window beyond which they'd claimed they wouldn't test it, they said I'd get my results today... negative.

Backstory: I had promised to visit my elderly parents last week---partly for father's day, partly to set up my mother's new computer. Day before the visit my father (who has been spending lots of time indoors with strangers without wearing a mask---including hours playing chess inside with a group) started exhibiting possible covid symptoms (antigen test came back negative, but false negatives on antigen tests are extremely common with omicron early in the infection). So I wore my P100 mask inside, agreed to go out to eat outside. But strong gusts of wind blew right from my father's open mouth into my face repeatedly....

Also, the PCR test was on the verge of 'expiring' (expiration date today), so I wanted to send it in anyway.

Glad I waited to splurge on the $95 PCR test. Wonder if the $40 (or other cheaper) home PCR test offer will come back, or if there will be any PCR test deals for Prime day (doubt it).

Guess I'm a little disappointed---PCR test indicates I probably didn't get it within at least the last few weeks. Would have been some added immunity. But on the bright side this won't encourage me to be reckless---and with the rate of reinfection and BA.5 on the rise (new wave predicted, some evidence it may be more severe in humans---as it is in hamsters...)...

Fresh heat waves just in time to keep people gathering indoors to kick off the BA.5 season (circulated by badly filtered air conditioning)....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 June 2022 - 07:42 PM

#28783 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2022 - 01:09 PM

'Justice Department Braces for Rise in Violent Crime

Top officials at the department met with prosecutors and the local police in Philadelphia in an effort to help cities prepare for a hot-weather crime wave marked by the Fourth of July.

The motorcade carrying [...] the No. 2 law enforcement official in the United States, maneuvered between potholes, and people, on Kensington Avenue when her driver braked for a man wandering into traffic with a hypodermic needle dangling from his arm.

[...] in the city to address a particularly savage surge in drug abuse and violent crime here[...]

[...] "People are living in an environment they shouldn't have to endure," [...] "You actually have to step over needles to take your kid to the bus stop."

The onset of warm weather typically signals an onslaught of violence in many parts of the country, with holidays like [...] the Fourth of July proving deadly in recent years.

[...]

[...] In Milwaukee, police officials are using new acoustic technology to pinpoint gunshots to identify six areas to concentrate on over the holiday weekend. The police in Philadelphia — the site of a recent 70-bullet shootout that one resident likened to a scene from the Wild West — are working on similar plans.

[...] "I'm begging you people in Washington to do something," pleaded one father who had lost two sons and a brother to gun violence[...]

"Summer is coming," [...] "I'm feeling that thing, that anxiety, about the summer. I'm afraid for myself, but now I'm mostly afraid for my grandchildren."'

Justice Department Braces for Rise in Violent Crime - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 July 2022 - 01:09 PM

#28784 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 July 2022 - 12:49 PM

Shooting at the Philadelphia 4th of July concert/celebration I went to yesterday briefly. Would have brought my rifle-proof plate, but backpacks were being searched for anything that could be used as a 'weapon' or that Philadelphia police deemed 'inappropriate', and those items were supposedly being confiscated and never returned. My bulletproof hoodie would have made it through the metal detector, but they still could have searched me and refused me entry---though after this shooting maybe they'd be more sympathetic... doubt they'd try to confiscate it (leaving me shirtless), but IDK.

I was considering going to the main concert and firework show, but between Covid concerns, my aversion to densely packed crowds, and the vacuity of the music I decided not to.

'Two police officers were shot near the Philadelphia Museum of Art as the July 4th concert and fireworks were coming to a close.

The shooting on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway caused attendees to flee.

[...] shot near the Philadelphia Museum of Art as the July 4th concert and fireworks were coming to a close.

With fireworks still blooming in the sky above, panic and chaos overtook many on the street. People ran toward Center City, some jumping over metal barricades. Some shouted that there was a shooting, causing those who heard to join the exodus.

Hundreds sprinted off the parkway in a current, running for blocks in an effort to flee, videos posted to social media showed.

"We all just turn around and look and see people are running toward us," [...] "They told us that they were shooting."

A police officer told people to run, recounted Irem Ozdemir, 24, an au pair from Turkey[...] She and her friends weren't sure what was happening at first. ['This is America!']

"We saw people running, screaming, saying, 'Get out of here, get out of here.' It was horrible. We saw people looking for their kids, screaming, 'Where is my kid?' Some people were having panic attacks. We ran,"'

Philadelphia shooting: News on July 4th Parkway fireworks gunfire, wounded police officers (inquirer.com)

Fireworks to cover the gunshots?

Fireworks remind us gunshots sound like freedom?...

#28785 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:51 PM

Yup x2

The person who composed the cyron is my hero of the day.

Posted Image

Thing is, there were professional fireworks on display that you can see from your back yard in my neighborhood starting around 9pm and going for about an hour. But that doesn't seem to be enough, so setting off your own fireworks, which in principle I don't have a problem with, way past midnight when the 4th falls on a weeknight is just inconsiderate, dickish behavior. And these mofos were using some powerful supplies too, because the reports off them were the kind that you not only hear, but feel also.

So in honor of local jerks who want to continue the loud celebrations into the wee hours of the morning, I must bring back a classic.

#28786 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:13 AM

Hate to say it, but I had to fire Boris Johnson from his job as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Too many goof-ups.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28787 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:27 AM

Pfft you're just lining yourself up to take his job!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:47 AM

Let's just say I have a tab open of Google Maps directions to 10 Downing Street...
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28789 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:17 PM

I dunno Worry. All that partying seems pretty tiring, and then you have to wake up and lie about it, then lie about lieing about it, then more partying...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28790 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:24 PM

My mom’s Alzheimer’s is getting worse and I feel powerless since she refuses to accept it. The unexpected rage and paranoia are painful to watch, and I feel selfish in saying that it stresses me out and depresses me. Right now she’s mad at me because she thinks I am trying to steal her jewelry and won’t speak to me. Damnit, I just wanted to watch it for her because she had a caregiver coming in after her last surgery! If I still can’t get her to talk to me today Im going to get my step brother to try, but I’m generally worried at this point. I don’t have any legal rights to force things and it sucks.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28791 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:12 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 07 July 2022 - 02:24 PM, said:

My mom's Alzheimer's is getting worse and I feel powerless since she refuses to accept it. The unexpected rage and paranoia are painful to watch, and I feel selfish in saying that it stresses me out and depresses me. Right now she's mad at me because she thinks I am trying to steal her jewelry and won't speak to me. Damnit, I just wanted to watch it for her because she had a caregiver coming in after her last surgery! If I still can't get her to talk to me today Im going to get my step brother to try, but I'm generally worried at this point. I don't have any legal rights to force things and it sucks.

A friend of mine is going thru this now and they live close enough that i'm seeing it day by day (like on the street outside where i live), and i realize it's likely no comfort, but the circumstances are similar and just dont forget that it's not you, it's the Alzheimer's, and there is very little you can do about it other than be patient and understanding in the face of massive (massive) frustration and helplessness.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28792 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2022 - 03:12 PM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 07 July 2022 - 02:24 PM, said:

My mom's Alzheimer's is getting worse and I feel powerless since she refuses to accept it. The unexpected rage and paranoia are painful to watch, and I feel selfish in saying that it stresses me out and depresses me. Right now she's mad at me because she thinks I am trying to steal her jewelry and won't speak to me. Damnit, I just wanted to watch it for her because she had a caregiver coming in after her last surgery! If I still can't get her to talk to me today Im going to get my step brother to try, but I'm generally worried at this point. I don't have any legal rights to force things and it sucks.

A friend of mine is going thru this now and they live close enough that i'm seeing it day by day (like on the street outside where i live), and i realize it's likely no comfort, but the circumstances are similar and just dont forget that it's not you, it's the Alzheimer's, and there is very little you can do about it other than be patient and understanding in the face of massive (massive) frustration and helplessness.

I will add (noting that my wife deals with this exact group of people in her daily work in her healthcare job) that if and when you start hearing more than just "they are stealing from me" sort of delusions/paranoia, or they starts forgetting things and replacing them with long term memories they still have....lean into it. Don't reject it. Live in their world while you are with them. If they think you are some long lost person and not who you are...be that person. If they are frightened of something, don't discount that fright but reasure therm that they are not alone and you are with them. If they say "so and so is stealing form me" say "Oh really? Well I'll be sure to look into that and find out"

Trying to enlighten them on the accuracy and truth of the world around them will only make the acting out moments worse.

My great aunt used to ask if we'd made tea after she'd just drank it and the cup was beside her. She'd say "I thought you were making tea"...and I'd reply "Oh right, I'm sorry, I'll get it made" and then I'd shift the topic and she'd forget she asked, and then five minutes later same question. One day she asked about 6 times in an hour...I indulged her every time.

I'm sorry about you going through this with a parent, it's never easy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28793 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:43 PM

I’ll keep that in mind and I’m trying to, but it wears me thin. She forgot my birthday and where I was born a few weeks ago and asked me to tell her. I don’t know how health care workers do it honestly. I do it out of love.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28794 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:06 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 07 July 2022 - 03:43 PM, said:

I’ll keep that in mind and I’m trying to, but it wears me thin. She forgot my birthday and where I was born a few weeks ago and asked me to tell her. I don’t know how health care workers do it honestly. I do it out of love.

Is there anyone else to help bear the emotional load?

But yeah stuff like that forgetting simple stuff will become more and more common as she progresses. Just tell her the things she asks as if it's perfectly okay that she doesn't know.

I know that's hard because having your mom forget key things like that is super emotionally taxing...but she can't help it, so just do your best.

If you feel tapped out, take that break. Caregivers, especially family, need to pause and remove themselves sometimes just to reset. Take that time too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28795 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:14 PM

Unfortunately she has a habit of freezing people out. She refuses contact with her family, and anyways they are in the UK. The only person I really have is my step brother.

#28796 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:30 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 07 July 2022 - 04:14 PM, said:

Unfortunately she has a habit of freezing people out. She refuses contact with her family, and anyways they are in the UK. The only person I really have is my step brother.

Then I'd make sure your stepbrother can trade off with you for caring for her so that you don't burn out. Caregiver burnout is a real thing, my father-in-law went through it when his wife was sick before she passed.

#28797 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 05:55 PM

Dang Lady Bliss that's tough. Here if you need to vent ❤️

In similar news my wife's father is going through chemo again for his multiple myeloma. He was initially doing really well with it, having encouraging signs but today he's had to go into hospital as something isn't going quite right. And now he's started with a paranoid thing that he had last time (believed the Doctors were/are plotting against him, believed there was a guy in the corridor talking about blowing something up...)

He's tried to self-discharge from the hospital because he doesn't trust anyone. My mother-in-law who is a wonderful and capable woman but nonetheless 70 years old, is having to babysit him and I don't think she can deal much longer.

The one shining light is that we had a wonderful week with the two of them last month and they got to meet the twins for the first time etc. Means if the worst should happen (I'm somewhat pessimistic though staying strong for my wife) at least she has a really good recent memory of her dad...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28798 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 July 2022 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 07 July 2022 - 04:14 PM, said:

Then I'd make sure your stepbrother can trade off with you for caring for her so that you don't burn out. Caregiver burnout is a real thing, my father-in-law went through it when his wife was sick before she passed.

Are you able to get a home care worker to come in to cue her to do laundry, make meals, keep up a house (meaning help her to do what she can and do the rest)? That is what I'd been doing with my grandmother, who also has Alzheimer's, for about a year.

I got a new job recently that stops me from coming over 2x a week for the day, so I've been trying without success to get my stubborn mother to hire someone (the funds are there and always have been) and get herself the breaks she needs to not burn out.

It hasn't worked in my family due to the stubbornness, but it can really make life a lot easier with your mother. Having everyone's memories of the last years of that person's life be soaked in bitterness, pain, resentment, burnout, and frustration is something I actively worked to avoid. I think it's worth it for the burden lightening and the increased endurance + patience you'll be able to have.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28799 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:32 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 July 2022 - 05:55 PM, said:

Dang Lady Bliss that's tough. Here if you need to vent ❤️

In similar news my wife's father is going through chemo again for his multiple myeloma. He was initially doing really well with it, having encouraging signs but today he's had to go into hospital as something isn't going quite right. And now he's started with a paranoid thing that he had last time (believed the Doctors were/are plotting against him, believed there was a guy in the corridor talking about blowing something up...)

He's tried to self-discharge from the hospital because he doesn't trust anyone. My mother-in-law who is a wonderful and capable woman but nonetheless 70 years old, is having to babysit him and I don't think she can deal much longer.

The one shining light is that we had a wonderful week with the two of them last month and they got to meet the twins for the first time etc. Means if the worst should happen (I'm somewhat pessimistic though staying strong for my wife) at least she has a really good recent memory of her dad...

Brutal. I'm sorry you and your wife and family are going through this.

I may as well add my messed with groove to the pot too, my mom has decided to stop Chemo for her pancreatic cancer...it's ravaging her body too much and she ends up in the hospital fighting infections every week...so she'll get off chemo and then we will have whatever time she had left before the cancer progresses and kills her.

I'm really sad about it, but it's her decision and her quality of life that's at stake...and who am I to begrudge that she wants her remaining time here with us to not be sick from Chemo all the time...

#28800 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:10 PM

Well shit, actor James Caan has died. Anyone remember the movie Misery? Shit was cray.

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users