• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27401 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

What's the schooling sitrep? Are your kids full time at home? Because I recollect that feeling from when I was on maternity leave full time at home with a kid. It was while I was adjusting to no longer being my own person. On weekends when Mr PigDog was home I sometimes caught myself staring out of the window at the car thinking "I could literally just go".

Reading that sounds like I had postnatal depression or something but I didn't. It is the only sane reaction to family life sometimes.

My groove is messed because my son has decided he hates this other kid at school and is bashing the poor sod up! He hasn't physically injured another kid since he was about 2. The messages from school are excruciating. I wasn't ready for this kind of thing when he started 5 weeks ago. I thought I would be told that he can't sit down and do anything but not that he is being a total git. We keep having to ban tv which means no more crashing out in front of a family movie at the weekends.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 18 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27402 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 18 October 2020 - 01:39 PM, said:

What's the schooling sitrep? Are your kids full time at home? Because I recollect that feeling from when I was on maternity leave full time at home with a kid. It was while I was adjusting to no longer being my own person. On weekends when Mr PigDog was home I sometimes caught myself staring out of the window at the car thinking "I could literally just go".

Reading that sounds like I had postnatal depression or something but I didn't. It is the only sane reaction to family life sometimes.

Exactly. It isn't really a depression. It is more the feeling of being locked in.

I now have a remote, home based job (which is wonderful). However, that also means I never really leave. Even my ever increasing nightly walks are along the same, safest street routes. And all social interaction is pretty much online (no in person contact). I haven't (as is probably true for all of you) had a an honest to god, real week long vacation since I first met my wife. And that week long vacation (nearly 3 years ago) was with all four kids. There have been three day mini-vacations, sure, but since my wife's job is all night 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 3 days off, long trips, real vacations, even weekend getaways, etc, are nigh impossible.

Add to this the confusion of both being divorced and having our kids in and out of the house on roughly the same schedule as her work, and you end up with a constantly changing, but somehow firmly entrenched, life style. Can't leave this house, this city, this state, or worst of all, this country. I don't have an in-person friend network in this city (never have) and my wife and I essentially work opposite shifts, sleeping while the other works.

But I am not terribly lonely, thankfully. I like the solitude for the most part. I just can't use that intermittent solitude to escape and adventure. I want to be in the Pacific Northwest or near the Rockies, hiking and maybe learning some wilderness stills. Instead, I am getting bored of this neighborhood and frustrated with the messy status quo of a house with only one neat person out of 2-6 inhabitants. I think I see the course of life for the years between now and child emancipation, and long for the sense of adventure and freedom of my youth. But don't we all...
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27403 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

I manage home based people around the world. One of the main things we ask at second interview is how they think they will cope full time working from home. The pandemic has ruined the question but it's really important if you have previously been out of the house for work every day. It's a real psychological shock. Definitely don't underestimate it or think it is just you. The solution is very different for each person depending on home life and what people hold most important to their mental health.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27404 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:44 PM

Saw another raccoon, dead, on the shoulder of the road when I went to go pick up some om noms. This was a big honkin' mofo also. Was at least the same size, if not a little bigger, than that scary dead fucker I saw a few months back. Raccoons join up in troops and fight off challengers, if they all decided to join together we'd be fuciked.

Posted Image

#27405 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:35 AM

That feeling when you spend a whole day adding to a document, and then in the end of the day you accidentally load an earlier version and Word erases everything you've been doing all day.

FML
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27406 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:25 AM

Jeff Bridges diagnosed with Lymphoma.

2020can eat the biggest bag of dicks.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27407 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

Means you get a new set of wiring, plumbing, insulation etc. Might be able to rearrange rooms to be a bit better for everyone too.

Sorry that you have to dig for the silver lining though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27408 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Very minor really but I've just finished Peace Talks so I wanted to read through the spoiler thread of people's thoughts.

Accidentally clicked on the Battle Ground spoiler thread and saw what I imagine to be a fairly massive spoiler, likely at the end of the book. Curse my foolishness! *runs away crying*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27409 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:28 AM

Feels like the old run around.

I have surgery coming up (finally, after being delayed months due to Covid shutdowns), and need to get a couple vaccinations to protect against the small chance of a meningitis infection. Basic plan was to schedule doctor's appointment, go to appointment to get prescription, fill out prescription and get vaccinated.

Find out my doctor's office no longer books appointment online or by email (why, I don't know - one ENT I was seeing only booked appointments/exchanged any information over the phone too which was ridiculous - a third of your practice is people who can't hear anymore and they have to phone you? Dentist appointments, audiologist appointments, physio, getting the car serviced, heck even ordering pizza is all possible online/email/text, but the doctor who treats people with hearing loss makes you phone him. But, that's an old grievance and an aside) so it's time off work to go to the doctor's office to book an appointment (nothing like Captel is available here and none of the available speech to text apps are reliable enough for transcribing anything important over the phone). So I make the appointment and the attendant let's me know it is up to me whether I book another appointment with the doctor to get the shots or have the pharmacist give them to me. Great, time saved, I can have the shots at the pharmacy.

I figure I'll make sure the pharmacy is fine with that before setting plans in stone. Oh, never mind, they (private pharmacies) don't carry the vaccinations I need. I will need to go to the public health unit, which is of course only open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. So, more time off work.

Have the doctor's appointment today. Dr. goes over the paperwork and is a bit puzzled. The literature goes on about the chance of meningitis and the need to be vaccinated, but the vaccines I am required to have are apparently not for meningitis. "Huh?" is both of our reactions. He will now get in touch with the surgeon for clarification and (thankfully) email me once things are clear. Then another doctor's appointment to get the prescription and the trip to actually get the shot, and probably some other rigmarole in between. Scheduling was tight to get things done at work before my time off for surgery, but now it's definitely working some weekends/stats until then to finish up.

#27410 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

First John Prine and now Jerry Jeff Walker.

2020 can officially go fuck itself.

One of my favorites from Jerry Jeff.

#27411 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

Today is a down day. Wife couldn't sleep all night and is not doing well with the approach of November. Today is mostly just letting her sleep and weathering the day. 1 more week until she is off work for 2 weeks.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27412 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:11 PM

I think I’m sick, but the kind of sick that pre covid I wouldn’t even think twice about. I cough once a morning and wake up with a scratchy throat. Not even sure. Maybe it’s because winter is here and drier air? Or maybe I’m really sick and need to isolate from any people to be safe.

#27413 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:37 PM

Now Billy Joe Shaver. I feel like 2020 is poking through my brain thinking, which of SBs old country singer songwriters can I kill now.

“When this old world has blown us under
And all the stars fall from the sky
Remember someone really loves you
We’ll live forever, you and I”

#27414 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:59 PM

If national treasure Willie Nelson gets taken by 2020, we all need prepare for the end times.

#27415 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:10 PM

Posted this in the ded CP2077 thread but need to post here too.

I was groovin'. After reading this, not so much. Eff these shit heads.

CD Projekt Red Developers Are Getting Death Threats After 'Cyberpunk 2077' Delay

#27416 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Why do Boomers have to "get on a phone call"?

Every single Boomer in my work sphere will get an email from me asking them a question and they will send me one back saying "Can you give me a call?"

WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED TO HAVE A CALL? I emailed you...and you LITERALLY emailed me back to say "call me"....just tell me what you want today in the effing email, you dinosaur.

Worse is when I have an issue that needs to go to someone else through that initial person and that person then decides we need a conference call....so a bunch of Boomers can talk at each other to work out what I asked about....when we very well could have solved it quicker with emails. This happens far too often.

My mom does this as well...she will phone me with some purpose, get my Voicemail and leave a voice mail saying to 'call her back'...TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IN THE VOICEMAIL MOM. Sidebar: I talk to my mom once every two days or so, so it's not like she just wants to talk to me mother to son...we do that already...those 'call me' voicemails are always about a topic that she could very well relate to me in that form.

I don't get what it is that frightens Boomers about technology like texting and emails. My gods...I don't get it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27417 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

Like most people, I think Borat is funny, but if I hear one more schmuck within earshot do his worst impression and say "itsa niiice" or "very niice", I'm going to lose my shit. Hey unfunny, unoriginal jackholes, you have a call on line 1, it's the year 2006, it wants its worn out catchphrase back.

#27418 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Every single Boomer in my work sphere will get an email from me asking them a question and they will send me one back saying "Can you give me a call?"

WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED TO HAVE A CALL? I emailed you...and you LITERALLY emailed me back to say "call me"....just tell me what you want today in the effing email, you dinosaur.

Worse is when I have an issue that needs to go to someone else through that initial person and that person then decides we need a conference call....so a bunch of Boomers can talk at each other to work out what I asked about....when we very well could have solved it quicker with emails. This happens far too often.

My mom does this as well...she will phone me with some purpose, get my Voicemail and leave a voice mail saying to 'call her back'...TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IN THE VOICEMAIL MOM. Sidebar: I talk to my mom once every two days or so, so it's not like she just wants to talk to me mother to son...we do that already...those 'call me' voicemails are always about a topic that she could very well relate to me in that form.

I don't get what it is that frightens Boomers about technology like texting and emails. My gods...I don't get it.

Short phone calls are preferable to a days worth of emails back and forth.

#27419 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

View PostAptorian, on 30 October 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Short phone calls are preferable to a days worth of emails back and forth.

But these things are never complicated. I will call myself if I feel that it's a complex issue that needs addressing on a phonecall. They are never that.

You know how I know? Because if I don't call (and I don't) they will email me 20 minutes later with two sentences that answers my question(s).

Today:

Me: "Got these files sent to me, what do you want me to do with them?"

Boomer: "Can you call me?"

Me: *Doesn't call*

Boomer (20min later): These are _____ from ______ and there will be 5 of them, send them to _____.

That is not a "call me" conversation by any stretch of the imagination.

...and yes its only the Boomers...the Millennials, Gen Xers and younger ppl that I work with....we don't call each other, we don't even really use email, we text each other questions and answers.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27420 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

peepaw/meemaw just want to have a phone visit with their work grandchildren. Be a champ, set an example for the other grandchildren and have a nice chat with them. It could pay off too, on your birthday you may get a card on your desk with a crisp $20 bill inside.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 October 2020 - 05:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users