• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27421 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

I strongly prefer emails to sort out simple decision trees. It's only the very complex, multi level decisions that are boosted by a call and a video call is much better than that bc we can see body language.

A call is just about the worst method to address small issues. Quick tidal has the right of it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27422 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:14 PM

I've got the corona blues. Probably coincides with the clocks going back, dark evenings and it being really wet so I can't do anything in my garden. I've been trying to convince myself we just need to be outdoors more than usual this winter but I think I forgot about THE RAIN IN THIS CURSED COUNTRY *shakes fist at the sky*. Everyone is annoying me.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27423 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

007 (Sean Connery) died.

"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die". :(

2020 can just fuck right off.

Still, I can just see St Peter spinning in his chair with a white cat in the lap saying "I've been expecting you, Mr Bond".

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 31 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27424 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

This is an utterly devastating article to read. Made me so angry but also determined to never be like some of the officers in this story...

https://www.bbc.co.u...ays-walked-free
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27425 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:43 PM

It was supposed to be my first year taking my son trick or treating. He loved it last year handing out chocolate to the kids who came round so I was looking forward to it. We walked around the neighbourhood looking at peoples Halloween decorations and eating our own sweets instead.

In the happy thread should be a humble brag that we spent the morning carving home grown pumpkins. Oh yes I'm so awesome.

#27426 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:41 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 31 October 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

It was supposed to be my first year taking my son trick or treating. He loved it last year handing out chocolate to the kids who came round so I was looking forward to it. We walked around the neighbourhood looking at peoples Halloween decorations and eating our own sweets instead.

In the happy thread should be a humble brag that we spent the morning carving home grown pumpkins. Oh yes I'm so awesome.

Home grown pumpkins? Do you live on a farm or are these tomato sized pumpkins? You sure you didn't zip by a supermarket to buy a Hakaido pumpkin and smeared some dirt on it?

#27427 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:02 PM

I have a decent sized vegetable patch in my garden. Our house was built in 1949 in the glory days of social housing so we all have decent sized gardens in our street. The pumpkins I grew are about the size of bowling balls. I had 3 pumpkin plants and got 3 decent sized pumpkins and a few puny ones. Only problem is that only one ripened to be orange but the green ones still look pretty good carved. Feeling rather smug, especially as they were grown from seed and my kid got quite into it. Proper lockdown project!

#27428 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:47 AM

Yep, I knew this would be the case, but it still aggravates me.

So, it's no secret that I get the local newpaper delivered. Hey, I like reading physical paper news old antiquated media, so sue me. Anyway, it's Sunday, Nov. 1. One flippn' day after Halloween. I pull out all the ad inserts and guess what the overwhelming theme is? Christmas. Christmas everything - decorations, dinner/entertaining, toys... everything flippin' Christmas already. Can we at least make it to the weekend prior to Thanksgiving before we have a candy cane shoved up our asses? Is that too much to ask in this rat race of a consumption society?

#27429 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:58 AM

Dude I saw Xmas shite in late September. Fucking SEPTEMBER! :doh:

The worst I ever saw was way back in I think either the late 80s or early 90s when ads started in late August.
The reaction must have been pretty negative because I actually remember the next year it started way later.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27430 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:23 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 30 October 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Why do Boomers have to "get on a phone call"?

Every single Boomer in my work sphere will get an email from me asking them a question and they will send me one back saying "Can you give me a call?"

WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED TO HAVE A CALL? I emailed you...and you LITERALLY emailed me back to say "call me"....just tell me what you want today in the effing email, you dinosaur.

Worse is when I have an issue that needs to go to someone else through that initial person and that person then decides we need a conference call....so a bunch of Boomers can talk at each other to work out what I asked about....when we very well could have solved it quicker with emails. This happens far too often.

My mom does this as well...she will phone me with some purpose, get my Voicemail and leave a voice mail saying to 'call her back'...TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IN THE VOICEMAIL MOM. Sidebar: I talk to my mom once every two days or so, so it's not like she just wants to talk to me mother to son...we do that already...those 'call me' voicemails are always about a topic that she could very well relate to me in that form.

I don't get what it is that frightens Boomers about technology like texting and emails. My gods...I don't get it.

Short phone calls are preferable to a days worth of emails back and forth.

But these things are never complicated. I will call myself if I feel that it's a complex issue that needs addressing on a phonecall. They are never that.

You know how I know? Because if I don't call (and I don't) they will email me 20 minutes later with two sentences that answers my question(s).

Today:

Me: "Got these files sent to me, what do you want me to do with them?"

Boomer: "Can you call me?"

Me: *Doesn't call*

Boomer (20min later): These are _____ from ______ and there will be 5 of them, send them to _____.

That is not a "call me" conversation by any stretch of the imagination.

...and yes its only the Boomers...the Millennials, Gen Xers and younger ppl that I work with....we don't call each other, we don't even really use email, we text each other questions and answers.

If it's short messages it's fine but if it's something where you want to be certain about the result or you're not actually certain how much info you need or are lacking, phone calls are definitely useful - It also helps to build report with colleagues who work in different offices.

Outside of work, I HATE getting phone calls. If my phone starts ringing I'll almost get angry at the thing. Just text me. The only people I privately have phone calls with is my stepmom and that's only because I haven't been able to teach her to text.

#27431 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

We were working on a shop extension in August, finished up to open it start of September, the shop was rolling out the Christmas tack at that stage

#27432 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

Personally I love Christmas and the late fall early winter period where it gets darker and colder. It's just the coziest, most "hygge" part of the year.

#27433 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 November 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

Personally I love Christmas and the late fall early winter period where it gets darker and colder. It's just the coziest, most "hygge" part of the year.

Agreed. Christmas is my fave season, and we literally already watched a Christmas special with the kids yesterday on D+ and will be putting up our tree and decorations next week.

:p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27434 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 November 2020 - 06:23 PM

Being forced into face to face teaching for master's students tomorrow. Because, you know, they pay tuition fees so we should be doing face to face. Could easily have done at least the morning session online. Madness.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#27435 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Why do Boomers have to "get on a phone call"?

Every single Boomer in my work sphere will get an email from me asking them a question and they will send me one back saying "Can you give me a call?"

WHY THE HELL DO WE NEED TO HAVE A CALL? I emailed you...and you LITERALLY emailed me back to say "call me"....just tell me what you want today in the effing email, you dinosaur.

Worse is when I have an issue that needs to go to someone else through that initial person and that person then decides we need a conference call....so a bunch of Boomers can talk at each other to work out what I asked about....when we very well could have solved it quicker with emails. This happens far too often.

My mom does this as well...she will phone me with some purpose, get my Voicemail and leave a voice mail saying to 'call her back'...TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT IN THE VOICEMAIL MOM. Sidebar: I talk to my mom once every two days or so, so it's not like she just wants to talk to me mother to son...we do that already...those 'call me' voicemails are always about a topic that she could very well relate to me in that form.

I don't get what it is that frightens Boomers about technology like texting and emails. My gods...I don't get it.

I see this often in construction but it's usually to avoid having a paper trail later on. Very popular with some older developers when they want to expedite a project but not be liable for poor design choices, "Oh I didn't expect it to look like this! Why did you do things this way? ... I never said that and you have nothing in writing to prove it!"
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#27436 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:25 PM

So that's Apt, QT and BK on my hate list. Excessive Christmas celebraters are the worst people. I like Christmas but only at y'know CHRISTMAS TIME. Mid-December at the earliest for me.

#27437 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:30 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 02 November 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

So that's Apt, QT and BK on my hate list. Excessive Christmas celebraters are the worst people. I like Christmas but only at y'know CHRISTMAS TIME. Mid-December at the earliest for me.

Amen! I've had to compromise with my wife for when trees and stuff go up. To my mind you stuck it up the week before but she wants it up months in advance.

In general, it's awful.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27438 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:31 AM

This lessens my Christmas too early messed with groove.

#27439 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 November 2020 - 11:26 PM, said:

How does one even dare approach after 17 yrs something that could utterly destroy multiple people an issue that could be just entirely in your own head? These pictures on fb have driven my curiosity crazy over the years. Probably best to just leave it all alone for all our sakes but my goodness it’s something I think is just written all over their face. Literally.

Rule of thumb: if it is a picture on facebook, it is probably bollocks.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#27440 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

BK thinks he has a secret relative somewhere.

Unless it's potentially your kid then you don't mention it. And even then you don't mention it to the kid unless they come asking!

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook