• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27001 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:37 AM

Just had someone from high school message me on Facebook asking for money and help. We were never friends, not even close and the last time she messaged me was in 2015 with a similar request. Back than I was still a student and at the moment I am unemployed too. Not really sure what to make of it. I mean in her shoes I wouldn't ask unless I was desperate but I also feel like its strange to ask. Put me in a bad mood that I cant help but honestly even if I could Im not sure if I would.

She didnt really sell the problem? Did she lose her job, does she need money for food or is she being an opportunist. I don't know her at all these days.

#27002 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:39 AM

View PostTraveller, on 17 May 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

Anyone tried 'barefoot' trainers? I've got flattish narrow feet and they look.. intriguing.

Still no luck otherwise; I dont want bright blue, orange, neon green, or all the other revolting colours Asics in particular seem to think you need to run a about in.

If this is the idea that the human foot has evolved to run and doesn't need any support from shoe idea I believe is basically been thoroughly disproved at this point that they help at all. Humans have been inventing shoes and wearing them for millenia, its not just because they look cool.

#27003 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:14 AM

Jesus, my roomate is starting to scare me about how worked up he is getting over modern warfare.

I asked him to keep it down since I am preparing for a job interview so at least he went downstairs to play in his room but I just heard him throw things.

He has become fucking nocturnal and plays this game all day. or rather night

#27004 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:11 AM

View PostCause, on 20 May 2020 - 02:37 AM, said:

Just had someone from high school message me on Facebook asking for money and help. We were never friends, not even close and the last time she messaged me was in 2015 with a similar request. ... I don't know her at all these days.

Delete.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27005 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:16 AM

And Block.

Also delete Facebook.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 May 2020 - 04:16 AM

#27006 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:59 AM

View PostAbyss, on 20 May 2020 - 04:11 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 20 May 2020 - 02:37 AM, said:

Just had someone from high school message me on Facebook asking for money and help. We were never friends, not even close and the last time she messaged me was in 2015 with a similar request. ... I don't know her at all these days.
Delete.

View PostAptorian, on 20 May 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

And Block.Also delete Facebook.

Yes.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27007 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

Just fully hit with the force of what the Trump presidency means. I started thinking about leadership and its general immunity to those it leads. I currently am unsure how to cope. I mean, there are microcosms of bad leadership rotten through the core of all walks of life. I have been in medicine long enough to see it as the rule not exception. And it is starting to gut punch me with the realization nothing can be done. The only way for leaders to be removed is for the whole edifice to come apart. Because there will always be lick-spittles and the winners shape the narrative. I am not sure I can handle the concept that there is nothing people who see and care can do. It verges on darwinistic nihilism, survival of the fittest, meanest, manipulative-est narcissists propped by the impotence of those unable or unwilling to become their oppressors.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27008 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:06 AM

Well, they COULD vote against him in Nov and actively support his opposition.

And THEN, they COULD investigate and prosecute the shit out of him and his.

....but instead he's probably going to be reelected and have four more years to destroy everything that ever made the US great.

#27009 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:04 AM

View PostAbyss, on 21 May 2020 - 03:06 AM, said:

Well, they COULD vote against him in Nov and actively support his opposition.

And THEN, they COULD investigate and prosecute the shit out of him and his.

....but instead he's probably going to be reelected and have four more years to destroy everything that ever made the US great.

Yup. The world never really changes.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27010 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:52 AM

Btw, is it just me, or does the world feel like it is going to shit far more frequently and rapidly than when we were kids. I feel like ever since adulthood, it has just been one crisis after another. Starting with 9/11
~Abyss

#27011 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:44 AM

I dunno, people who grew up in Soviet Russia might disagree

#27012 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

From what I've seen, most people who grew up in Soviet Russia didn't like their little tatse of freedom and love being under a strongman of one sort or another.

Although apparently VVP's poll numbers are slipping slightly during COVID. I'm sure that will be rectified with a few mysterious pollster deaths.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27013 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:03 PM

Fair point. This is more of a white American perspective. Thank you for the call out.
~Abyss

#27014 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

All experience is relative, and you can only judge by your own. Subjectivity. Don't apologise for it, it's part of all of us. Only be aware of it and how it colours our perceptions and to what degree.

I will say that the far greater "interconnectedness" lets us know bad news (because it gets clicks) far more rapidly than before.
Hell, there are things we would never have known about without the internet and mobile phones with cameras.

Things have always been a bit shit, we just know more about it now. And we in the west have had two major society-changing shocks in less than 20 years - 9/11 and COVID.

Sop yeah, IMHO that adds up to things seeming to go to hell in a handbasket in the last 20 years. Throw in Trump, the rise of China, nukes for North Korea, IS and interesting times.
But is it really any worse than the Cold War - with the Cuban Missile Crisis followed by JFK blown away? How in the early 80s we all thought things were going to end up as a conventional war in Europe?
When the USSR dissolved things were on a knife edge. Gulf War One following the Iran-Iraq war was the last real vestige of unopposed American hegemony. Gulf War Two had more dissenting international voices, but there were still enough backers (including us Aussies) to push it along. You couldn't do it today. Not with Russia re-arming and China feeling secure enough to start showing the big, white, sharp teeth we all paid for in our short-sighted greed.

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 May 2020 - 03:52 PM

#27015 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

Agreed, tho the net has made it way easier for would be predators to locate and interact w their victims of choice now. The rest of it has always been around, we just know more, faster.

#27016 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

To weak willed cigarette smoking jag offs who flick their lit butts out the window in front of me. Know that if I pull up next to you at the next stop light, I'm going to tap my horn, motion for you to roll down your window and lay into you with a berating like you've never received before. Doing that shit when the fire danger is high is the most crass, selfish, ignorant, dumb-fuck thing a moron can do.

#27017 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

From what I've seen, most people who grew up in Soviet Russia didn't like their little tatse of freedom and love being under a strongman of one sort or another.

Although apparently VVP's poll numbers are slipping slightly during COVID. I'm sure that will be rectified with a few mysterious pollster deaths.

"Freedom" equalled hyperinflation, a default and a disastrous war and secession (Chechnya). There's a reason the politicians of that era are referred to as "shitocrats" ("Der'mocrats" in Russian). When VVH came to power he brought stability, followed by economic boom fuelled by oil money. In addition most independent TV stations that could have been used to build support for a strong alternative political projects were brought to heel, as the state curbed the influence of the oligarchs who owned them.
There's loads of reasons for why Independence worked out the way it did in various ex-Soviet countries. Every constituent society reverted to the political order that pre-dated communism- and for most it was mid-to-late feudalism in one form or another.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27018 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

Handlebars on my bike are busted again. This happened before and I had my buddy who's an auto mechanic weld it in place. Now the welding seal's popped and unless it can be re-done, I might need a new bicycle.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27019 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 May 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

To weak willed cigarette smoking jag offs who flick their lit butts out the window in front of me. Know that if I pull up next to you at the next stop light, I'm going to tap my horn, motion for you to roll down your window and lay into you with a berating like you've never received before. Doing that shit when the fire danger is high is the most crass, selfish, ignorant, dumb-fuck thing a moron can do.

You are texting while driving?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#27020 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:49 AM

Is one of the symptoms of covid 19 deafness!

My roommate thinks nothing of playing his xbox or his music full blast at 3 in the morning. And now my neighbors seem not to care about having a bbq or playing their music and shouting outside my bedroom window. Literally. If my blinds were open Id be a guest at the party. I tried talking at the. Through my back dot and they couldn’t hear, I tried a noise complaint and I’m unimpressed with the NYPD since they claim they couldn’t find it, I’d think the fire would have helped light the way. So I finally banged on the wall and they seemed to get the message and turned off the music. Except now I can hear every word they say since they apparently think screaming outside my window won’t let me hear them.

‘It wasn’t even that loud’ seems to be the consensus, which I find unbelievable since it was so loud I couldn’t even hear my tv in my bedroom when it was at volume 40. They also somehow think I’m their upstairs neighbors because ‘we don’t complain about the noise when they use the stairs’. I’m clearly on the ground floor, they outside my window.. also I doubt people on the stairs last 3 god damn hours!

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users