• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm Spinning The Wheel of Time **Spoilers** Dare you tread The Path of Spoilers

#61 User is offline   FilthyGnome 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

Wow, didn't think there'd be so many people disliking the females of WoT so much. I absoloutely hate them. I simply stopped reading the books because of them. I will however read book 12, purely because of the need to finish a story.

In fact, i skipped practically EVERY single scene involving any of the leading females that happened to be Aes Sedai. Or hell, any leading females for that matter. They simply started getting on my nerves like nothing else. I've never been that annoyed with fictional characters. Stupid ass shit, if you ask me.

I don't mean a slight against Jordan or his creations, but damn i'm happy we're getting a new author. Hopefully he will tone down on the super-bitches.

#62 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, I'm very curious as to how Sanderson plans to address the gripes readers have with certain aspects of RJ's storytelling... I mean, he can't just try and write it how RJ would've. But then again, he can't stray too far from the writing style.

#63 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

Slumgullion Spitteler;284691 said:

Yeah, I'm very curious as to how Sanderson plans to address the gripes readers have with certain aspects of RJ's storytelling... I mean, he can't just try and write it how RJ would've. But then again, he can't stray too far from the writing style.

Quite frankly I don't envy him this task. It's hard enough to find your own voice much less step in and find someone else's.

#64 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Abyss;284000 said:

Agreed. Could have used about three chapters more of it.

- Abyss, always knew Nyneave had it in her if she would just bloody stop tugging her arms and crossing her braid all the time...

It's why Nyneave is my favorite braid-tugger.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#65 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Xander;284331 said:

Couldn't agree more Yellow. All the women parts are waaaaaay too drawn out. It's like he's going way out of his way to make women important.

If I were writing it, the story would have evolved differently. There are only two groups that make me want to puke. There wouldn't be any Red Ajah--Rand would have hunted down and shielded every last one of them and turned em over to Lanfear and company. If he had to use 300 ashaman to crack the White Tower like an egg and eradicate every last living Red Ajah, then so be it.

The Whitecloaks would be next. Every last officer turned over to Fades and Trollocs for butchering.

This is the first series I've read where some of the so-called "good, on the side of the Light" are more heinous than than the evil, nasty Forsaken. At least the Forsaken see themselves clearly.

#66 User is offline   Varunwe 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Larp, reading, watching tv

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Rand would have hunted down and shielded every last one of them and turned em over to Lanfear and company.

The Whitecloaks would be next. Every last officer turned over to Fades and Trollocs for butchering.

If Rand did that, it would be pukeworthy. Worse than anything the Red Ajah or the Whitecloaks do.

#67 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

you know, ive said it before,

but Sanderson really has a hold of the poisoned chalice here.

No matter what happens, a fairly significant number of fans are going to be dissatisfied with his work. I really feel sorry for the guy.
meh. Link was dead :(

#68 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Cocoreturns;284921 said:

No matter what happens, a fairly significant number of fans are going to be dissatisfied with his work. I really feel sorry for the guy.

I agree Coco, and yet, he seems to relish the task. The wild card here is, we don't know how much RJ dictated. Is BS just filling in the little gaps of the final book? How much liberty is he being given with the story? I don't envy him his task, and if there is backlash, it could screw his writing career for some time. :p

I'm not a big fan of his, but that wouldn't be fair to him at all.

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Cocoreturns;284921 said:

Yes, but the same could have been said if RJ had lived to finish it.

Don't feel too bad for BS - he's an up-and-coming talent who will only benefit from this, no matter how the (unwashed, living in their parents' basements typing on a disturbingly sticky keyboard) hoardes demand his kidneys for the book he writes.

- Abyss, down-and-leaving...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#70 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

I actually recently began a re-read. Well of the male chapters anyway and I skipped book three (I can still remeber my frustration with the dragon reborn when i first read it when I realised the main character, and thats what rand still was at this stage not just one of several main characters alongside the likes of perrin and mat, was not in the book.) The books had potential and 'magic' in plenty but somewhere that magic died. Procrastination, dead end plots, unnecessary side characters all took their corrosive toll.

Spoiler

#71 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

reread.. who would want to put themselves through that torture a second time?

maybe someone should come up with an abridged version, cutting out all unnecessary side plots and redundant occurances. might even be a manageable 3-4 book series then

#72 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Oh, I thought he found a way to cleanse his taint...

Ha, that doesn't sound good.

#73 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Cause;285621 said:

I actually recently began a re-read. Well of the male chapters anyway and I skipped book three (I can still remeber my frustration with the dragon reborn when i first read it when I realised the main character, and thats what rand still was at this stage not just one of several main characters alongside the likes of perrin and mat, was not in the book.) The books had potential and 'magic' in plenty but somewhere that magic died. Procrastination, dead end plots, unnecessary side characters all took their corrosive toll.

Spoiler

I think Rand's transformation through the books is one of the most fascinating parts of the series, but you're right, it does make some female characters that are annoying more relevant.

#74 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Slumgullion Spitteler;285642 said:

Oh, I thought he found a way to cleanse his taint...

I think we read different versions!
Error: Signature not valid

#75 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

So I've heard rumors that A Memory of Light could be 2,000 pages.....

:eek:

I'm sure that's an exaggeration...but it will probably be a massive book...no?

#76 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

If all storylines are tied up, it could go 2000 no problem. That could be a good or bad thing.
Error: Signature not valid

#77 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Very, very bad IMO.

I wonder if BS just told TOR that he needed two books...would they even listen?

I know they had put pressure on RJ even to finish in one book....before he passed :D

#78 User is offline   Pallol One Eye 

• War Mule
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Guitar, Fine Wines

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Sanderson recently blogged on his website that he was hoping to finish AMOL in 300,000 words, but expected it to run longer, and that Jordan was aiming at the 300,000 - 400,000 words. He also said that New Spring was 120,000 words to give it some perspective.

So it's gonna be a biggie any way you look at it.

There's ton's of stuff that he's talked about on his website about his re-reads of the series and his thoughts on it. Interesting reading

Here's a link to that blog:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/619/R...oL-Progress-Bar

#79 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

The covers we get my side of town are just 11 diffrent coloured versions of an aes sedais ring a snake eating its own tale intertwined with a seven spoked wagon wheel so yeah I got an idea what to expect.

#80 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Those are the UK covers from Orbit. It's quite amusing that Orbit just gave up on the US covers as being utterly unbearable and went with the symbols as being far more tasteful and stylish.

The US covers from Tor, painted by Darrell K. 'Lameass' Sweet, were pretty hideous until they got to Book 11, where Sweet obviously lost the will to live altogether or something:

Posted Image

Remember, this is the kind of shit that Tor was dealing out to their biggest-selling author. The covers they are inflicting on the MBF seem almost mild by comparison.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users