• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm Spinning The Wheel of Time **Spoilers** Dare you tread The Path of Spoilers

#21 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I've never had any problems with the actual story building in WoT. However in the last books I get a bit tired of the talk. People just talk and talk and talk, I makes me go insane. Besides I've always been a sucker for battles and people blowing each other up with magic.

I want more of Rand and LTT, but it almost seems like RJ was afraid of destroying the character or perhaps had nothing to make of it. Darnit, the character has got great potential, so why not use it? Also, maybe a little character development? :(

- Gem, thinks LTT should come back, and Rand should go away...
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#22 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

I am still stuck halfway through book nine. I can't bring myself to pick it back up. I've read Martin, Stephenson, Bakker, and Lynch for the first time instead. I've got to say, this plan has worked well for me.
Error: Signature not valid

#23 User is offline   Kimloc 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

Gem Windcaster;282833 said:

I've never had any problems with the actual story building in WoT. However in the last books I get a bit tired of the talk. People just talk and talk and talk, I makes me go insane. Besides I've always been a sucker for battles and people blowing each other up with magic.

I want more of Rand and LTT, but it almost seems like RJ was afraid of destroying the character or perhaps had nothing to make of it. Darnit, the character has got great potential, so why not use it? Also, maybe a little character development? :(

- Gem, thinks LTT should come back, and Rand should go away...

I think the second guy in his head should come back and LTT and Rand should both go on indefinite hiatus.

Is Moiraine alive and who's the second guy in Rand's head are the only two questions I want answered in Book 12.

#24 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

Kimloc;283099 said:

I think the second guy in his head should come back and LTT and Rand should both go on indefinite hiatus.

Is Moiraine alive and who's the second guy in Rand's head are the only two questions I want answered in Book 12.

Dude, you gotta put that stuff in Spoilers! Not everyone has read that far.

Spoiler

I'm still of the opinion that the series cannot be wrapped up in a satisfying way in one book...but hey...maybe BS will surprise me.... :(

#25 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:32 AM

BS always surprises!
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#26 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

He's too much of a goody two shoes to finish it in the brutal fashion it needs. We need mass carnage!

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

Xander;282525 said:

heh, I've heard this theory before, It may be the reason :(

If only he could go back and time and re-write them with an Editor who was more critical...sigh

There's a lot of back and forth on this theory, but the way the timing of their wedding and the downturn of the books synch up really is suspicious.

I suspect there is no way the entire thing will be all tied up neatly with a bow in book 12.

Hell, i STRONGLY suspect if bk 12 is successful, the publishers will do everything short of sacrificing a dozen virgins... wait, i take that back, they WILL sacrifice a dozen virgins if necessary to get BS to write more books set in Randland.

I haven't read any of Sanderson's books yet (but the positive murmur here on the forum means i will sooner or later) but from what i gather, his books have a market.

Now, disregard the heaving zit-picking vocally diarhettic masses (actually six social disfunctionals posting to the internut from their parents' basements) who are going to universally condemn bk 12 as the fantasy lit equivalent of the Necronomicon dipped in minced baby - disregard because these people wouldn't have been satisfied with anything short of RJ's Frankinreanimated corpse and/or downloaded digital consciousness writing the conclusion, or barring that, them, based on their extensive slash fanfic writing experience (and so, we are all spared that long delayed relevation that Matt killed Asmodean because he was teaching Rand about man sex) - so, BS completes the book, the less jihadim of the masses of WoT readers read it and like it. The people who have been waiting for the series to be completed now jump in and read it. BS' own fans decide, hey, why not, and THEY read it... and the publishers have the most successful WoT book ever on their greedy little tentacles, AND a young, motivated writer who is not likely to die or marry his editor any time soon.

Take a big heaping pile of cash, dip it in money sauce and sculpt it into a cow the size of the Trojan Horse, because that my friends, that is a cash cow of moossive proportions.

And on that basis, we haven't seen the last of the spinning Wheel, because it will be greased by moolah.

- Abyss, actually totally comfortable with that...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28 User is offline   Kimloc 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

Xander;283181 said:

Dude, you gotta put that stuff in Spoilers! Not everyone has read that far.

Spoiler

I'm still of the opinion that the series cannot be wrapped up in a satisfying way in one book...but hey...maybe BS will surprise me.... :(

The only way he could surprise us is by launching unending streams of brutal conflicts/horrific battles from WORD 1 until the last word. And the book would need to be about 1500 pages. I'm not sure even this would do it but maybe.

That title makes me think the Dark One wins, like everyone is left with only a memory of light. Yikes.

#29 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

I know how the final book goes

Spoiler

That is the ONLY possible ending to this series. Ever.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#30 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Abyss;283384 said:

There's a lot of back and forth on this theory, but the way the timing of their wedding and the downturn of the books synch up really is suspicious.

I suspect there is no way the entire thing will be all tied up neatly with a bow in book 12.

Hell, i STRONGLY suspect if bk 12 is successful, the publishers will do everything short of sacrificing a dozen virgins... wait, i take that back, they WILL sacrifice a dozen virgins if necessary to get BS to write more books set in Randland.

I haven't read any of Sanderson's books yet (but the positive murmur here on the forum means i will sooner or later) but from what i gather, his books have a market.

Now, disregard the heaving zit-picking vocally diarhettic masses (actually six social disfunctionals posting to the internut from their parents' basements) who are going to universally condemn bk 12 as the fantasy lit equivalent of the Necronomicon dipped in minced baby - disregard because these people wouldn't have been satisfied with anything short of RJ's Frankinreanimated corpse and/or downloaded digital consciousness writing the conclusion, or barring that, them, based on their extensive slash fanfic writing experience (and so, we are all spared that long delayed relevation that Matt killed Asmodean because he was teaching Rand about man sex) - so, BS completes the book, the less jihadim of the masses of WoT readers read it and like it. The people who have been waiting for the series to be completed now jump in and read it. BS' own fans decide, hey, why not, and THEY read it... and the publishers have the most successful WoT book ever on their greedy little tentacles, AND a young, motivated writer who is not likely to die or marry his editor any time soon.

Take a big heaping pile of cash, dip it in money sauce and sculpt it into a cow the size of the Trojan Horse, because that my friends, that is a cash cow of moossive proportions.

And on that basis, we haven't seen the last of the spinning Wheel, because it will be greased by moolah.

- Abyss, actually totally comfortable with that...

I'm not a Brandon Sanderson fan. His Mistborn books are decent, but nothing nearly as good as early WoT. Also...it bothers me how he seems to remember so little from the series he "loves".

That said...I'm hoping for the best. I really can't see it ending in one book...and if it does...i think it will suck.

#31 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

Kimloc;283099 said:

But I kinda like LTT. I guess Rand could go away - he's so whiny.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#32 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

Gem Windcaster;283629 said:

But I kinda like LTT. I guess Rand could go away - he's so whiny.

That's true-sometimes Rand reminds me of Keanu on the ledge in the Matrix--"Why is this happening to me? I didn't do anything!"

I find his most interesting character weakness is his refusal to hurt women. With some of the female Forsaken/Aes Sedai it can now be truthfuly said "Chivalry will kill you."

#33 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

james9700;283650 said:

That's true-sometimes Rand reminds me of Keanu on the ledge in the Matrix--"Why is this happening to me? I didn't do anything!"

I find his most interesting character weakness is his refusal to hurt women. With some of the female Forsaken/Aes Sedai it can now be truthfuly said "Chivalry will kill you."

I agree. Rand can be a bad ass at points, and then other times I just want to slap him.

Mat is the shit. Perrin could be cool if not for his ball and chain, that stupid wench.

#34 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

Xander;283652 said:

I agree. Rand can be a bad ass at points, and then other times I just want to slap him.

Mat is the shit. Perrin could be cool if not for his ball and chain, that stupid wench.

Yup, I agree. Rand sometimes walks around like he's forgotten that he is the BADDEST mf on the planet. NOBODY can stand up to him, power for power. Unless it's a woman opposing him, sigh, I guess you need to credit RJ for bringing an aspect of realism to epic fantasy.

Mat is the perfect running mate for Rand. He's capable of causing a lot of trouble for people without relying on Rand's protection. Perrin could be cool, I agree, but I find his storyline an annoying intrusion on the real action.

#35 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

Perrin is much cooler when he lets the wolf side take over.

Spoiler

#36 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:53 AM

I really do love this series, I started this right after I got fed up with the Shannara stuff and I always had high hopes for it. I just really really hope it finally ends.

#37 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

Lost Marine;283729 said:

I really do love this series, I started this right after I got fed up with the Shannara stuff and I always had high hopes for it. I just really really hope it finally ends.

Me too, I'll always have a love for WoT. It's flawed, no doubt, but I had so much fun reading those first few books, flew through them.

#38 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:58 AM

I did too, it was already on book five when I started reading it and I finished all five in a week. Now I wish I'd spread it out some.

#39 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

It was Book three for me, my brother went to England and brought back tEotW and I gobbled it up so fast I went and bought the next two like 2 days later.

#40 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

Well, I'm similar but it took me a couple/few months to get up to Winter's Heart, which was the first book I really felt something was amiss...all that stupid Aes Sedai talking in circles. I wanted to beat myself over the head. I just wanted Rand and his psychoses to kick some ass. Still do, for that matter.

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users