Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#681 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

So it sounds like trump and the gop are fed up with social distancing...you all Americans are headed back to work in 2 weeks...I’m so sorry but it appears your govt cares more about Wall Street than it does about all of you. They are currently parroting survival numbers to make it seem palatable that people are going to die...

My gods...I’m so sorry.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#682 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:55 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 23 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

https://www.dallasne...virus-lockdown/

So in Dallas liquor stores are essential...

They are. The last thing that hospitals need are a bunch of alcoholics jamming up the beds with withdrawals that can kill them.

It seems silly, but they are essential.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#683 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

They are. The last thing that hospitals need are a bunch of alcoholics jamming up the beds with withdrawals that can kill them.

It seems silly, but they are essential.

I would never have thought of that.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#684 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

UK in lockdown

#685 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thankfully we are well stocked up with beer, wine and Gin.

This had to happen. People just weren't getting the fucking message.

I'm fighting the urge to text my boss and say I told you so.

#686 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:47 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2020 - 09:24 PM, said:

Thankfully we are well stocked up with beer, wine and gin.

The same three beverages of choice we stocked up on.

Great minds!

#687 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2020 - 09:24 PM, said:

Thankfully we are well stocked up with beer, wine and gin.

The same three beverages of choice we stocked up on.

Great minds!

I grabbed vodka and stole toilet paper from the hotel when I had to travel last week. I unfortunately had to spend time in 4 airports last week so I wouldn’t have to delay starting a new job. Im sure I’ve got it and am on lockdown.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#688 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:54 PM

'ICE Is Asking for 45,000 Surgical Masks When Some Doctors And Nurses Can't Even Find One

The masks will go to field offices that dispatch agents to arrest and detain undocumented immigrants.

[...] After ICE placed the request for masks, the agency also published a new directive on its website Saturday that ordered all visitors to immigration detention centers to wear personal protective equipment. Now, lawyers representing immigrants say they need to choose between seeing their clients and using masks sorely needed at hospitals.'

https://www.vice.com...FQPnF1uw4Bx8C-M

'Trump Won't Order Vital Coronavirus Supplies Because Corporate CEOs Asked Him Not To

They're worried it could be bad for business.'

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 26 March 2020 - 03:53 AM
Reason for edit: Size of ego of picture

#689 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

After the collapse, it's this kind of entrepreneurship that will rebuild society.

#690 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

3 weeks stay on doors for me now. Work let me know minimum 3 weeks. 80% salary paid by UK Government. Only places of work allowed, post office, supermarket, pharmacy and bank.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#691 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Had a slight headache today, pressure in my head, thought I might be having a fever and chills.

Last time I visited my parents and helped them get groceries my mother urged me to buy a thermometer. I assured her I already have one somewhere, but she insisted. Couldn't find one in the supermarket.

Dug through my closet today to find it. Took it the first time and got 98.6 exactly (Fahrenheit, not Celsius...). Realized I might not have had my mouth closed. Took it again, 98.7. So I guess I'm good....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

#692 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:04 PM

2020 Olympics "postponed" till 2021.

Posted Image

#693 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:06 PM

They are essential everywhere. Out government issued a clarification that they're staying open.

Makes sense as they're provincially-run, and a major employer.
Also, if they were to close, you'd get a mass panic and probably break-ins.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#694 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 March 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

2020 Olympics "postponed" till 2021.

Posted Image

'What We Can Learn From the Plague That Killed Athenian Democracy

[...] Is it possible that this future is now unfolding, one in which yet another plague may well decide the fate of another democracy?

While not thought of as medical history, Thucydides' account had wide influence on plague literature to come. Works like Albert Camus' The Plague and Daniel Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year—both of which have become newly popular among those looking to better understand the novel coronavirus—mined, and at times mimicked, Thucydides for their own texts. In fact, the shadow cast by Thucydides' story stretches from Lucretius' On the Nature of Things to Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal. Even if you think you have never read Thucydides, the odds are you have.

Thucydides, in turn, had read Hippocrates. Like the founder of Western medicine, who emphasized the importance of describing the evolution of a disease, so too with the founder of Western history. "I shall simply set down," Thucydides declares, "the nature of this disease and explain the symptoms by which perhaps it may be recognized by the student if it should ever break out again."

[...] takes Pericles as one of its first victims. Soon enough, the disease transforms Athens into a different kind of school, the sort found not in the texts of Hippocrates but in the tragedies of Aeschylus and Sophocles. Like Oedipus in Oedipus Rex, Pericles' intelligence failed to avert disaster. Instead, Pericles' foresight in regard to defending Athens against Sparta, by crowding Athenians inside the walls of the city, quickened the disease's transmission.

Like ancient Athens, present-day America has been ushered into the school of tragedy. In certain ways, of course, our country has added a dollop of the comic to the tragic. Rather than, in Thucydides' words, the "genius of Pericles," we have a leader who, in his own words, is a "very stable genius." Unlike Pericles who, in Thucydides' words, "never sought power by improper means," we have a president who, again in his own words, has done it before and is prepared to do it again. In contrast to the man who led Athens by virtue of his moderation, ability, and integrity, the sole virtue of the man who now leads America is that he reminds us of all the virtues we desperately need to restore.

[...] But as the city's subsequent history, told in majestic detail by Thucydides, reveals, Athens not only failed to acquire a resistance, but was fatally weakened by the disease. By the end of the century, a diminished and degraded Athens was finally defeated by Sparta, bringing to an end the world's most extraordinary experiment in direct democracy. The question is whether we are at a similar crossroads. In the case of our leaders, history seems to be repeating itself, as Karl Marx would have it, not as tragedy but farce. But in the case of our own experiment in democracy, such an end would be too tragic for words.'
'Convinced that those who do not learn from past diseases are doomed to see them repeated, Thucydides proceeds to depict in vivid detail the plague's impact on individuals. He notes the violent sneezing and coughing fits that wrack the body and the ulcers and pustules that burst out on the skin. The burning sensation was so great, Thucydides observes, that the diseased, seeking relief or death, would throw themselves into wells.'

https://slate.com/ne...oronavirus.html

'A man died and his wife needed critical care after they both took a drug meant for aquariums that contains chloroquine, which President Trump recently touted as a treatment for COVID-19 in spite of a lack of study by health officials or approval by the World Health Organization.

According to the Banner Health hospital system in Phoenix, the husband and wife, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks." One aquarium supply store online described it as a "wonder drug" that was once only available through veterinarians — for saltwater fish, not humans. The site is currently sold out of the drug.'

https://www.buzzfeed...ate-coronavirus

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 11:10 PM

#695 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:10 AM

View PostMentalist, on 23 March 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

They are essential everywhere. Out government issued a clarification that they're staying open.

Makes sense as they're provincially-run, and a major employer.
Also, if they were to close, you'd get a mass panic and probably break-ins.

Not in Pennsylvania, apparently. The shadow of Prohibition rears its awful brainlessness again.

Posted Image

I'm most concerned about the homeless alcoholics and low-income workers with no significant savings who are losing their paychecks... beer and wine are still available at supermarkets, but they're more expensive.

But some distilleries are still open, and being allowed to deliver liquor.

#696 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:15 AM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

UK in lockdown

My current theory on this happening now is that Boris has had an eye on his Brexit this entire time, and he didn't want to tank the economy several months before he tanks it some more. Someone, no idea who, has convinced him, somehow, that being The Man Who Got Brexit Done will pale into insignificance beside potentially being The Man Who Killed A Million People in the history books.

I guess in that one small way he's doing better than Trump, who fairly obviously doesn't care how many people die as long as he still gets to be President after November.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#697 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:55 AM

https://www.nytimes....st-attacks.html

Posted Image

#698 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:22 AM

'Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick said on Fox News Monday night that "lots of" grandparents would be willing to die in order in to save the economy for their grandchildren.

[...] "No one reached out to me and said, as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren? And if that's the exchange, I'm all in," Patrick said on air.

"I just think there are lots of grandparents out there in this country like me — I have six grandchildren — that's what we all care about ... And I want to live smart and see through this, but I don't want the whole country to be sacrificed. And that's what I see," he added.

The big picture: Patrick's comments come shortly after President Trump's press briefing on Monday where he said the economy will be reactivated soon as the administration plans to ease social distancing initiatives. Public health officials have strongly urged for continuing the efforts.'

https://www.axios.co...HXB7XVlgH3n46ik

#699 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

Fuck American politics

#700 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

potential relief package announced for self employed and freelancers in the UK.

this is a ....well a relief

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users