Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#661 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

Compared to other countries, Denmark's death toll has been only marginal with 13 dead as of yesterday. So tragic, but not catastrophic like we see in Italy.

Apparently it jumped from 13 to 24 today. Percentage wise, that's a pretty big rise.

Edit: Apparently it's got something to do with the reporting? I don't know if that's good or bad.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 23 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#662 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:43 PM

It’s underreported cases because to get a real view of who has it you’d need to test everyone. So many are asymptomatic that it’s spreading faster and more hardcore than any guess.

One town in Italy tested EVERYONE and like 70% of them had it and were asymptomatic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#663 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

Day 1 of properly working from home. Not too awful. Live next to a little asda so went over and got some loo roll earlier.

Not so great: Sister in law has symptoms and we spent a good bit of yesterday running about to get medications to her (she was prescribed penicillin and steroids, sounds like it might be tonsillitis but can't be sure). Add to this mum in law having a fibro flare up and... Well, my local pharmacy is a ten minute walk away and I am quite glad for this. Can ferry meds over to them if we need, so long as I drop them by the door and then make sure they get them from a distance.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#664 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

The Danish Prime Minister is speaking to the nation right now. The national shut down is being extended to April 13th.

I've got two weeks of vacation on my couch planned from the 30th anyway so I'm not that bothered.

#665 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

I work (work rehabilitation) in a athletics club as maintenance. It's closed down, but it won't affect my economy anyway. What's more of an issue on my account is my psychiatrist is closed down as well.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#666 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Nepal to lockdown. Amph, don't you have family there? Have you been in contact? Are they safe?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#667 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:02 PM

just wait a week until the shit storm from spring breakers hits.

#668 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yeah, that's going to be the real numbers...one person can effectively infect 59,000 by spreading it while asymptomatic.

Same is true of the assholes in Ontario from Queens University...they all went out partying last week on St. Paddys in vast numbers with similar attitudes to the spring breakers...it's fucking disgusting.

#669 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yeah, that's going to be the real numbers...one person can effectively infect 59,000 by spreading it while asymptomatic.

Same is true of the assholes in Ontario from Queens University...they all went out partying last week on St. Paddys in vast numbers with similar attitudes to the spring breakers...it's fucking disgusting.

Good thing Kingston has one of the highest concentration of hospitals in the province. And the uni partying is largely separate from the general town city population, so they'll largely only infect themselves

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 23 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#670 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostMentalist, on 23 March 2020 - 03:49 PM, said:

Good thing Kingston has one of the highest concentration of hospitals in the province. And the uni partying is largely separate from the general town city population, so they'll largely only infect themselves

A lot of them might have headed home for March Break though...

#671 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 23 March 2020 - 03:49 PM, said:

A lot of them might have headed home for March Break though...

Yeah, that could pose an issue.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#672 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

https://www.timesliv...rge-gatherings/

I thought this was fake at first. Its not.

Aslo South Africa has problems with people and tourists too apaprently, who test positive and decide to break quarantine anyway. South Africa is quite simply fucked! 9 Million people with Aids, poor, cramped in squatter camps.

This post has been edited by Cause: 23 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

#673 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:48 PM

The same is going for the beaches in California. The Bay Area is pretty dead though otherwise.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#674 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

Senator Klobuchar's husband has tested positive. However: 'Klobuchar said that she and her husband have not been in the same place over the last two weeks and because "I am outside the 14-day period for getting sick, my doctor has advised me not to get a test.'

https://www.cnn.com/...irus/index.html

#675 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

Nepal to lockdown. Amph, don't you have family there? Have you been in contact? Are they safe?

I have lots of family in Nepal - hundreds that we loosely keep in direct contact with. Nobody has said anything that suggests that they have COVID-19, but it's a big concern due to the lack of testing, lack of ventilators/medical care, and some people have increased vulnerability due to having other health issues.

Nepal claimed to have 1 case confirmed for a long time. The event that triggered this lockdown was possibly related to a Nepali student returning from France that has confirmed COVID-19 - at least that is what the official government line seems to be from the non-thorough coverage I can find (Nepali focused media isn't too good at asking deeper questions during reporting or getting much beyond party speak). I think it's more due to the completely porous border with India where there's almost 500 confirmed cases now.

There are longstanding issues with extreme poverty, very free movement that's required because people work so hard (labor work) in order to barely get by, and lack of access to basic medical care due to either poverty, distance, or lack of time/capacity to go. I think there's already way more cases than "2" in Nepal and "almost 500" in India, but lack of testing resources and the barriers preventing usage of medical care are going to be so difficult to overcome to get accurate numbers.

I'm somewhat worried about how this is going to affect Nepal as a whole, not so worried about most members of my family (they are mostly better off than the average Nepali and have us as financial resources), very worried about India, and completely certain that this could be building to a major disaster in Bangladesh. There's not really N95 masks, much less ventilators. The only hope of major disaster is if India and China both ramp up ventilator production hugely and shift them around as needed (after sterilization) to get them where they need to go.

NY now has 5% of the world's COVID-19 cases - with most being in NYC. 15k+ confirmed cases already and more inbound. Hospitals all across the state have been ordered to increase their bed count by 50% and temporary hospitals are being set up. Even if every hospital doubled their bed count, we'd still be short of the projected numbers.

I'm also thinking that this is a major enough crisis that it could be a possible tipping point for nationalization of healthcare and other basic human issues. I doubt it'll happen, but if there was ever a time for that, it's possibly now to two weeks from now as the economy shudders to a halt and healthcare becomes a strident demand of everyone.

But there's so much fuckery happening in politics with McConnell/Trump/Mnuchin trying to give bailouts to big businesses as individual people and small businesses are majorly hurt.

Rent now, Boeing later.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#676 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

Hmmm on a personal note, the Isle of Man is not allowing any non-residents on. This leaves me in a bit of a bind as I have sold my house and booked a mover and booked my car onto the ferry. They already said that everyone coming on HAS to self-isolate which we were happy with but now we may be stuck in a pickle - all our stuff can go over as the ferries are going for freight etc. but we may be out of a house with nowhere to go.

My in-laws live nearby but they're both over 70 and my father in law has recently come through chemo so he's very high risk. Plus their house is not big.

As I'm a police officer I may get special dispensation from my future employers to get on a boat but man it's making everything else a bit more stressful...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#677 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

'The Midwest Is Preparing To Get Hit With Major Floods During The Coronavirus Outbreak

[...] "The current situation with COVID-19 presents us a fight on two fronts: one front, we have the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and on the other, what promises to be a very active spring 2020 flood season," Sharon Broome, mayor of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, said on a press call Thursday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration this week released its spring flood projections, predicting moderate to severe flooding in 23 states. The greatest risk for "major and moderate flood conditions," federal experts say, is along parts of the Mississippi River basin.

For local leaders in the Midwest, this situation is offering a crash course in how to plan and respond to multiple types of disasters simultaneously. And in a warming world, overlapping and compounding disasters will likely be the new normal.

[...] For regions battling especially fast-growing coronavirus outbreaks, such as New Orleans and Baton Rouge in Louisiana, flood preparation is taking a backseat as they deal with the current crisis.

“I feel like more than anything, we’re just trying to keep our people in some state of calm as we daily put out these bleak circumstances, these bleak numbers,” said Belinda Constant, mayor of Gretna, Louisiana. “We’re just praying every day that we don’t end up in a state of anarchy.”'

https://www.buzzfeed...tBZFJ516YbHjemY

Though technically Louisiana isn't usually considered part of the Midwest. The Census Bureau treats it as a division of the South:

'Region 2: Midwest
Region 3: South
Division 7: West South Central (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas)'

https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 07:17 PM

#678 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:23 PM

Ontario and Quebec now on full lockdown. All non-essential businesses shutting tomorrow by midnight.

My city also finally declared a state of emergency.

I hate Doug Ford...but I have to admit he’s doing a really solid job of disaster management. I’m impressed how much of a hammer he’s bringing down.

#679 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

It feels absolutely apocalyptic outside now...and I hate going out there. Keeping 6 feet from people is fine, washing my hands after I touch surfaces fine. But there's just something about when I have to go out (groceries, ect.) that makes me feel disturbed.

There are still people out and about, but it's scattered, and even the traffic which would be bumper to bumper near my place is non-existent.

I had my hood up and it was like some movie walking down the mostly deserted street.

This is so surreal. I was trying to explain to my daughter how unprecedented this is, and how this is going to be a HUGE part of history.

#680 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

https://www.dallasne...virus-lockdown/

So in Dallas liquor stores are essential...
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users