Malazan Empire: Ye Big Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Politics Thread A thread for all things political that may not warrent its own thread

#501 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:50 PM

So

Turkey results, as seismic as some reports suggest?

#502 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 April 2024 - 03:05 PM

Oh it’s very sad but unintentional to hit aid workers.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#503 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 April 2024 - 03:12 PM

View PostMacros, on 01 April 2024 - 01:50 PM, said:

So

Turkey results, as seismic as some reports suggest?

Should prevent Erdogan from taking the country further towards authoritarianism, as he won't be able to mess around with the constitution if there's a parliament with a majority opposition.

Since he wasn't able to do anything about the inflation, this felt sort of predictable.

Means it could be his last term. But I doubt it'll lead to any immediate shifts in policy.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#504 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2024 - 03:29 PM

I know that 'unintentional' was tongue-in-cheek, but it just can't be overstated how evil this was, as famine looms.

Other aid orgs are deciding to suspend operations as well. On top of Israel's effective stranglehold on UNRWA and the absolute (and ongoing) obliteration of hospitals. The individual atrocities that happened in Al Shifa are one thing and I won't get into it here, but big picture: does any of this look like something Israel would be doing if it intended Palestinians to return to / exist in Gaza?

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#505 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 05 April 2024 - 01:09 PM

It looks like Biden finally put on his big boy pants and gave Netanyahu some ultimatums. More aid about to go into Gaza and The IDF soldiers responsible for killing the aid workers have been “fired”. Too little too late unfortunately. We need to stop sending Israel weapons and get a two state solution in place.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#506 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 05 April 2024 - 01:11 PM

I’d actually like to see Netanyahu have to stay in Gaza for a week without all of his creature comforts. Never would happen unfortunately.

#507 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 April 2024 - 07:19 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 05 April 2024 - 01:11 PM, said:

I’d actually like to see Netanyahu have to stay in Gaza for a week without all of his creature comforts. Never would happen unfortunately.

With or without IDF protection? Big difference in life expectancy.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#508 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2024 - 07:25 PM

Not sure excactly what the european parliament does but it governs EU law as a whole? I saw the far right made large gains recently and now I see that the far right is on the verge of taking over France now too.

We discussed it before in some other thread but I would argue the true far right, racist, white supremacist, nazis (etc) have managed to co-op the more moderate population who are nevertheless against migration and its effects.

Regardless how we got here I am really starting to feel like the social norms of the world are collapsing. USA, UK, Europe all seem to be undergoing major changes into a direction that seems dangerous.

Also is there something to learn from the parallel of Both Sunak and Macron both calling for the elections in which they are being obliterated? Are leaders so out of touch, is their 4d chess I am not understanding

This post has been edited by Cause: 01 July 2024 - 07:34 PM

#509 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 July 2024 - 08:12 PM

View PostCause, on 01 July 2024 - 07:25 PM, said:

Not sure excactly what the european parliament does but it governs EU law as a whole? I saw the far right made large gains recently and now I see that the far right is on the verge of taking over France now too.

We discussed it before in some other thread but I would argue the true far right, racist, white supremacist, nazis (etc) have managed to co-op the more moderate population who are nevertheless against migration and its effects.

Regardless how we got here I am really starting to feel like the social norms of the world are collapsing. USA, UK, Europe all seem to be undergoing major changes into a direction that seems dangerous.

Also is there something to learn from the parallel of Both Sunak and Macron both calling for the elections in which they are being obliterated? Are leaders so out of touch, is their 4d chess I am not understanding

With Macron it's been speculated that he thinks the far right will do a terrible job passing and set them up for failure in the 2027 presidential election---though Macron himself can't run again because he's term limited. Could be he thinks he can get a handpicked successor into office, or that they'd be far more dangerous if they also had the presidency.

IDK if Sunak's decision had anything at all to do with it---seems like an odd coincidence if not. It's possible that they have access to secret information implying that the world is---or at least their countries are---about to go to shit, and they'd rather blame it on the other parties.

Don't forget the fortuitous timing of Orban's ascension to the EU presidency:

For months, it was rumoured that Hungary planned to use a reworked version of Donald Trump's slogan for its upcoming EU presidency: Make Europe Great Again. That idea "sounded so lame and ridiculous that we refrained from reporting it", Szabolcs Panyi, one of Hungary's leading investigative journalists, wrote on X this month. "We were wrong."

On 1 July, under that Trumpian banner, Hungary will take on the six-month rotating presidency of the EU council of ministers. As well as a spell in the diplomatic limelight, Viktor Orbán's government will be setting the EU agenda for the rest of the year.
'Make Europe Great Again': Hungary sets scene for its EU presidency | Hungary | The Guardian

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 July 2024 - 08:14 PM

#510 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2024 - 10:06 PM

Not implying Sunak and Macron were working together just that I find it interesting that both governments called elections to presumably strengthen their hands and the opposite is happening.

If Macrons goal was to let the right wing take power so they could fail and then lose at the next election cycle why call the election early as opposed to letting it happen later?
/?

#511 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 July 2024 - 10:12 PM

Sunak was term limited, he took an election because they calculated it would only get worse between now and the time he had to call an election.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#512 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:21 PM

Lol.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#513 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2024 - 07:59 AM

Yes vibe la France but Macron needs to go methinks. Get a good coalition with the left and step down.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#514 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 July 2024 - 09:07 AM

People do know that the National Rally were founded by former waffen SS right?

Why would anyone vote for them???

#515 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 July 2024 - 09:20 AM

I think the result however shows that these parties do not have anywhere near the broad support portrayed. Their support turns out, when the center and left get off their arse they win.
Had everyone voted brexity would never have happened.

Across the world, if everyone actually voted I feel, genuinely the right wing empire would collapse for the most

#516 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:22 AM

View PostMacros, on 08 July 2024 - 09:07 AM, said:

People do know that the National Rally were founded by former waffen SS right?

Why would anyone vote for them???

For some people the reason for your question is their answer.

I’m glad the French people came out in mass to vote and to show your their true thoughts. Still it shows that the far right is larger than anyone would like to imagine.

As for the far right, Some people don’t want to be the monsters themselves but they are happy to support the monsters because they want the outcome

#517 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:27 AM

View PostCause, on 08 July 2024 - 10:22 AM, said:

As for the far right, Some people don’t want to be the monsters themselves but they are happy to support the monsters because they want the outcome

That is a chilling and accurate thought. Very well put even though I hate it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#518 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 July 2024 - 02:51 PM

I spoke to a now ex-friend back in 2016. His reasoning for voting for Trump was that he wanted to see the entire federal and state governments crumble and be replaced with nothing. His level of distrust and selfishness was so high that he was willing to actively aid that crumbling and see millions get hurt in order to be empowered to do what he really wanted to be doing.

He was a middle aged white male, twice divorced, had lots of guns, lived out in the boonies, and owned a small business connected to healthcare.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#519 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 July 2024 - 04:36 PM

What's he really want to be doing? I mean, I understand progressives are bad for his business because you know, nationalized healthcare. What's he want to do besides try and be his own petty tyrant with his guns?

These loners who think their small arsenal is somehow going to protect them from organized gangs/proto-feudal lords are hilarious.

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#520 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 July 2024 - 05:08 PM

View PostCause, on 01 July 2024 - 10:06 PM, said:

Not implying Sunak and Macron were working together just that I find it interesting that both governments called elections to presumably strengthen their hands and the opposite is happening.

If Macrons goal was to let the right wing take power so they could fail and then lose at the next election cycle why call the election early as opposed to letting it happen later?
/?

He called the election precisely to keep the right from getting in. If they waited until 2029, their support would've continued swelling, disappointed with domestic policy.

The EP elections showed they were gaining momentum, but weren't quite there yet in terms of critical mass. So he acted to have the elections now, before they hit it, while he could make a deal with the leftist block to cooperate.

Considering Macron's own term is up before the next parliamentary election, and he can't run again, it's a shockingly farsighted move.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 08 July 2024 - 05:08 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users