Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#221 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:10 AM

Free time off is unpaid leave. It’s the same as unemployment.

Who votes for these assholes

#222 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Hey, you moved there, Cause. Dont shit your own house. You're Merkin now 😉
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#223 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

So I opened a bank account in America, needed a credit card and to start earning a credit rating.

A bank of America savings account offers.... 0.03% interest a year. You lose money every year you keep your money in this savings account! America is a weird place. Banks in my country at least offer something approaching inflation. what is the use of such a savings account.

Are their at obvious money investment tools I should be using in America

For example my country allows you to deposit 300$ a year into a special type of savings account which keeps any returns it generates tax free for life.

#224 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

View PostCause, on 14 January 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

So I opened a bank account in America, needed a credit card and to start earning a credit rating.

A bank of America savings account offers.... 0.03% interest a year. You lose money every year you keep your money in this savings account! America is a weird place. Banks in my country at least offer something approaching inflation. what is the use of such a savings account.

Are their at obvious money investment tools I should be using in America

For example my country allows you to deposit 300$ a year into a special type of savings account which keeps any returns it generates tax free for life.

1. ROTH IRA (Retirement acct so you can only withdraw at age 59 or other similar reason. Pay taxes on inputs now and don't pay taxes when you withdraw.)
2. 401k
3. Savings account with a better bank (Ally Bank offers 2.0% interest per year, for example. https://depositaccounts.com/savings/ has comparisons of different savings accounts.)

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 14 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

#225 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

There are many local banks, credit unions, and money market accounts where you earn interest in your checking account.

Stay away from large corporate banks.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#226 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

^^^^ This.

Opening an account with BoA was monumentally stupid. Stay away from it and those of their ilk (i.e. Well Fargo, Chase, US Bank, so on ad nauseam).

I bank with a credit union that serves my area. Members are the owners and get to vote on who runs it. So I suggest investigating what local options there are. Again, as with finding the best places to eat, talk to the locals in the community. Yeah yeah, I know, y'all are shy book nerds, but ya gotta get out and embrace the people if you want to flourish and pick their brains about what will make living your new beautiful life her in America even more beautiful.

Also, second the suggestion about opening an traditional IRA / Roth IRA. And 401K with your employer if it is one of the benefits offered (usually is).

#227 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:26 AM

My Greencard arrived!

#228 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostCause, on 22 January 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

My Greencard arrived!

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#229 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

Yo @Cause! Now that you're living your best life in the best country in the world (don't @ me haters - I'm looking at you jag offs from Can't-a-Duh, J/K! Posted ImagePosted Image), you should seek out that yummy crack that Girl Scouts are peddling about now (they usually start up operations around early Feb.). You should be able to find them hanging around the entrance to your local grocery store chain. Or if you're in a MMJ and/or recreational marijuana state, then some will set up at the dispensaries or shops (smart biz, that).
Posted Image

Again, go for the thin mints and place them in the freezer. Enjoy as the munchies strike you. I also like the peanut butter sandwich cookies, dipped in an ice cold class of milk (whole milk, none of that skim or 2% pussy bullshit).

Don't @ me haters! #ToxicMasculinity

#230 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

Caramel delights, or Samoas in some parts of the country, are the best.

#231 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

Sadly back in South Africa for six months or so to finish my work contract. Then back to the states. I think I asked this before but surely they can be found year round somewhere?

#232 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

Never have tried to get them any other time of the year, and have always purchased them from girl scouts who have set up outside a grocery store in my area, but maybe google and see if you can purchase them online from a (official GS) website?

#233 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 February 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

Never have tried to get them any other time of the year, and have always purchased them from girl scouts who have set up outside a grocery store in my area, but maybe google and see if you can purchase them online from a (official GS) website?

That is way to much work. If you see them get them. Otherwise don't bother. They are not life changing and are a modern interpretation of Americana. Originally the scouts cooked cookies and sold them over the years it became automated and a big business.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#234 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

Not a fan of the Samosas variety myself (don't like coconut in my sweets for the most part), but this is pretty clever.

Girl Scout Puts Picture of Shirtless Jason Momoa on Boxes of Samoas, Sells Lots of Cookies
Posted Image

#235 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostVengeance, on 11 September 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 11 September 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 11 September 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 11 September 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 11 September 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

An old colleague is immigrating to the UK, so chatted to them (also her husband) a bit. Their biggest problem is also just figuring out how to get everything across.

Also ran into some old colleagues who just got back from an aemrican conference. Telling me about great post doc positions in tenessee of all places. At least its a surprise to me. Still not sure how easy it will be to get into one of these.

I've been to Tennessee. It certainly is a place.

Where is it? Is it one of the states the other states make fun of?

It's somewhere in the middle. And it has Nashville, which is the capital of country music, so whether you make fun of it or not depends on your music tastes.

It isn't Alabama or Florida. I have second cousins (whom I have never met) in Tennessee who are suppose to be good people. Bent was from Tennessee and he is really nice. There is also Memphis which is very nice from what I gather, and Chattanooga has it's own municipal fiber network.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Bent: 21 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#236 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Cause, Malazan Yank here!

So my job ends Aug 31st. Then its time to become American! What a time to be alive. Its suddenly so close.

I don't feel prepared to immigrate but also cant think of anything else I need to get ready.

I hope the US is amazing

#237 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

Do you know/have you shared where in the States you'll be?

If you're not saying feel free to tell me to frack off.

#238 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

I'm guessing big city, SB. Not many randoms in Hick country.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#239 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

Cause is officially replacing Huckabee Sanders.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#240 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

View Postworry, on 14 June 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

Cause is officially replacing Huckabee Sanders.

I can not comment on this non-fake news at this time

I don't know where I will end up just yet, but have started the job hunt on LinkedIn. Fingers crossed for a good jon, in a good city. I don't know where I want to go. I think most places will be fine but I do have an idea where to avoid. The flyover states are called that for a reason I'm sure. I imagine they don't exactly have huge biotech jobs though either.

I figure the first year or more Ill have to rent everything and avoid major purhcases since I may have to job hop and state hop in the beginning. My understanding is moving around for jobs is quite common in the states?

I really wasn't blown away by New York and I'm still not exactly sure why because I loved London! I think a lot of it was just due to how dingy the subway was. That said a city like that does seem appealing. A city with lots to do, science museums, history museums, food, plays, theatres, events etc.

My biggest worry is that I wont have friends or family. So I need ways to meet new people. I may have to go to shull again just to meet people, though I have not been for over twenty years. Not sure what other avenues to try just yet. I think online dating may be something I depend on, my girlfriend may also be the only person I know (which may make for some unhealthy clinginess). Still a city with lots to do and explore will also be a reason to leave my apartment and not become a Netflix/gaming recluse.

This post has been edited by Cause: 18 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users