Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#321 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:48 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 September 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

There might be a case to be made that it's

Spoiler

But I would find that lacklustre.

I think it is more likely to be that...

Spoiler

Edit...

To add to that too...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 06 September 2022 - 02:53 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#322 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 September 2022 - 05:48 PM

First episode done. It sure is purdy, there's no denying that. But it reminds me of those video games that offer "skins" for your player, like in Fortnite for instance you can buy the Spider-Man skin and run around in the game looking like him. But it doesn't have any thing that indicates it's Spider-Man except looking the part. That's what this is like, but with Tolkien's work.

When the meteor cracked open, this came to mind.

#323 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 September 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 September 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

Wife fell asleep in Episode 2 as well...and I nearly did too.

It's gorgeous....and it LOOKS the part of the prequel to the LOTR movies that they seem to want it to be, but I still have issues...

Are we all in agreement that meteor man is

Spoiler

There might be a case to be made that it's

Spoiler

But I would find that lacklustre.

I still love the Harfoot storyline best...like by a long stretch.

Elrond and Celebrimbor's discussion mentioning Fëanor and the Silmarils only makes me more annoyed that they can't dive into it much...there's so much meat there that INFORMS the rings of power that came before that they can't touch. So it still feels missing.

The visit to Khazad-Um was nice, and I liked seeing it at its height like that.

I dunno, this show needs to be a bit pacier if it's going to stand on it's own and not rest on nostalgia from the fans of the movies to propel it forward.

I like it, but if the first two eps set a Tolkien-fan and a non-Tolkien fan asleep in the same household....something needs to click.

Caught up and watched the second episode today.

We're both still firmly in "it's fine" teritory.

I liked Galadriel a lot less in the second ep, she came across too close to stroppy teenager and whilst I appreciate this is a much younger and more war-like Galadriel she's still an ancient elf and it feels an odd vibe for her.

Celebrimbor reducing the tragedy of the history of the Silmarils to "Creativity needs sacrifice" has been my one major eyebrow raise so far. Dude, that is COLD. But if they go with his role as per books then I think the rest of that scene set up an unreasonable drive which could be manipulated so events unfold.

I felt that either option for Meteor Man mentioned in your spoiler tags would feel kind of naff, but I lean more towards it being the second one.

Otherwise in agreement with most of what you've said there, it needs to start moving more.

As a positive aside though.... I think the ship at the end was Numenorean. Can't wait to see it!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 06 September 2022 - 06:06 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#324 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:56 PM

Yep. Its fine, so far. I'm definitely enjoying it enough to keep watching, could go either way but i'm cautiously optimistic.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#325 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 09 September 2022 - 04:26 PM

Oh. My. Gawd. That. Ep. Sucked¡
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#326 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:27 PM

Episode 3!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 09 September 2022 - 09:28 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#327 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:33 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 September 2022 - 09:27 PM, said:

Episode 3!

Spoiler

Simmo

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 September 2022 - 07:01 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#328 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 September 2022 - 05:09 AM

I enjoyed this episode more than the others.

Galadriels personality seems off.

The cgi was some of the worst I have ever seen

#329 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 10 September 2022 - 05:21 AM

I was a bit disappointed with this episode. It felt like we were still watching the set up. I had hoped we were starting to move beyond that.

#330 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2022 - 06:33 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 September 2022 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 September 2022 - 09:27 PM, said:

Episode 3!

Spoiler

Simmo

Spoiler

A little more added to Tsundoku's explanation:

Spoiler

I think the Numenor arc in particular is going to be one where you feel the bite of what they do and don't have access to. The geaneology of Numenor is in the Appendices, but the Akallabeth story is in the Silmarillion - so they have the names, but not the story. And it's showing in terms of what they've presented so far of the current ruling setup.

I'm going to give it a couple more episodes but I think more than anything I'm a bit bored. The jumping between threads is irritating (though I suspect some of those will meet eventually and we'll end up with fewer of them) and as much as Numenor looked spectacular I didnt really care about anything that was happening. Halbrand's arc has been done to death both in LOTR itself and plenty of other fantasy, and it feels just.... naff. The actress playing Galadriel is doing some good stuff with what she's given but the character is starting to feel like it's being reduced to the standard Hollywood "cool girl badass" as the only idea of how to show a strong female character.

One huge positive for me is the casting of Elendil - he's superb. So much status and presence before he's even said anything. And as much as I wasn't sold on Meteor Man it feels like the arc with him and the Harfoots is building into something really nice. The Harfoots feel more like a whole lived in culture to me than any other thread at the moment, and they continue to be the best thread.

This is very much a me thing - can we please stop having bones broken right in front of the camera? It's ICK.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 10 September 2022 - 06:52 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#331 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:20 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 10 September 2022 - 05:21 AM, said:

I was a bit disappointed with this episode. It felt like we were still watching the set up. I had hoped we were starting to move beyond that.

It's already greenlit for at least 5 seasons, the set up is probably just the first 4....

#332 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:11 PM

I enjoyed that episode a lot more than the first two! I think I am starting to see where it is going with Sauron corrupting Numenor and Celebrimbor, then bringing about the war that ended the Second Age. I am looking forward to how they do all of this, as right now it actually seems a bit rushed to me based on where they're at in the timeline.

I'm still zoning out on the Harfoot storyline, don't really care for it. Based on where the other characters are, the Stranger may be a new character? I don't think the Sauron imagery fits (unless its not at the same time at the other threads).

#333 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:18 PM

View PostTavvar, on 12 September 2022 - 04:11 PM, said:

with Sauron corrupting Numenor and Celebrimbor

Oh yeah and he's already done it too...

Celebrimbor is already co-opted and seduced into doing Sauron's bidding the minute we meet him on screen.

We are talking about the guy who is descended from one of the most covetous elves to have ever lived (Fëanor) and seeks to copy his "crafting".

Enter a Maiar that can give him that easily.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#334 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:15 AM

Agreed. Celebrimbor was giving me "I must complete this great work at all costs" vibes from the off. I think Sauron's already got him.

I also saw an interesting idea about who Halbrand is going to end up being today that I hadn't considered:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 13 September 2022 - 05:22 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#335 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:51 AM

I think he’s Sauron.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#336 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:56 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 September 2022 - 05:15 AM, said:

Agreed. Celebrimbor was giving me "I must complete this great work at all costs" vibes from the off. I think Sauron's already got him.

I also saw an interesting idea about who Halbrand is going to end up being today that I hadn't considered:

Spoiler

Ooh I like the second theory. Though for some reason I thought that if Numenor eventually becomes Gondor then Southland's eventually become Rohan? Dunno, I'm probably reaching or justissing some lore that I'm unaware of haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#337 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 September 2022 - 09:56 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 September 2022 - 05:15 AM, said:

Spoiler

Ooh I like the second theory. Though for some reason I thought that if Numenor eventually becomes Gondor then Southland's eventually become Rohan? Dunno, I'm probably reaching or justissing some lore that I'm unaware of haha

Looking at the Southlands on the map (as shown in the show) I would say the Southlands is on its way to becoming Mordor.

A portion of the Southlands still appears on the LOTR map, but it's got a bracket note of something along the lines of "now a barren and disputed land" under it.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 September 2022 - 09:56 AM, said:

Though for some reason I thought that if Numenor eventually becomes Gondor then Southland's eventually become Rohan? Dunno, I'm probably reaching or justissing some lore that I'm unaware of haha

Not sure how much Tolkien you've read but in regards to Numenor...

Spoiler

Here's a Map of what the land looks like in the 2nd Age.

You can see that Mordor very much would be South of all the action, so Southlands=Mordor is probably accurate.

Rohan is also north of Gondor on the 3rd Age map.

Attached File  Amazon-map-3-7-19.jpg (113.99K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#339 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies chaps. I've not read much in the way of Tolkein beyond LOTR and the Hobbit a few times and the Silmarillion once, years ago. I watch a channel called Nerd of the Rings and this TV show has given me more of a desire to delve into it. As such I hope to get The Children of Hurin at some point and also this book that looks fantastic: https://www.hive.co....Guide-/27116949

Also I thought Mordor already existed in the show?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 13 September 2022 - 04:12 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#340 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:35 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 September 2022 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thanks for all your replies chaps. I've not read much in the way of Tolkein beyond LOTR and the Hobbit a few times and the Silmarillion once, years ago. I watch a channel called Nerd of the Rings and this TV show has given me more of a desire to delve into it. As such I hope to get The Children of Hurin at some point and also this book that looks fantastic: https://www.hive.co....Guide-/27116949

Also I thought Mordor already existed in the show?
Spoiler

Do you mean Sauron's symbol? I'm more of the mind that it's the 'Eye' (or precursor to it) as Sauron very explicitly does not allow his name to be written down, so the symbol would be a good shorthand for his followers. Turn that symbol on its side and it suddenly looks very much like a stylized eye.

The map theory is a bit of a reach if only becuase the middle section of Mordor has not real mountain range to make up the middle part of the symbol...and Mouth Doom (where he forged the one ring) is in the northwest corner, not in the middle.

At this point anything can happen, but I feel like it's the eye/Sauron's "name".

The compressed timelines of the show make whether or not Mordor exists yet and if Sauron has settled it as his main base yet a little hard to know...in the books he settles there "at some point" in the second age, and we don't hear much about it till he uses Mount Doom to forge the One Ring. So maybe yes it already exists? It's not the threat it becomes til after they realize that ---------spoilers.......

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 September 2022 - 04:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users