Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#161 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:54 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 January 2022 - 12:30 AM, said:

Wonder if Tolkien was aware of this (almost certainly to some extent):

'In languages spoken around the world, words describing rough surfaces are highly likely to feature a "trilled /r/" sound—a linguistic pattern that stretches back over 6,000 years, a new study reveals.

[...] from Basque "zakarra" and Mongolian "barzgar" to Dutch "ruw" and Hungarian "durva," these words feature the common sound—an "r" pronounced as an Italian speaker might say "arrivederci."

[..-..]

[Not anywhere near as exaggerated as in the Amazon clip. Much closer to Tolkien's pronunciation.]

Next, they found that the "/r/-for-rough" pattern is prevalent across sensory words in 38 present-day Indo-European languages. It can even be traced to the reconstructed roots of Proto-Indo-European—indicating that the pattern has likely existed in this large language family for more than six millennia.

[...]

[...] "This is one of the most widespread examples so far of cross-modal iconicity in spoken languages—linking the sounds of speech to the sense of touch. Such cross-modal associations can play a significant role in shaping the forms of spoken words in natural languages—showing that many aspects of language structure are shaped by the human ability to spot and use perceptual analogies that create iconic links between form and meaning."'

I guess 'Mordor' is pretty rough, eh?

Rough neighborhood anyway....

Is Tolkien Elvish supposed to be a fake indo-european language and therefore should follow indo-european language trends, though?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#162 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:56 PM

Also, that study you're linking to was published 20 January 2022... I don't think Tolkien was still working on his conlang 3 days ago, so even if that trend applies universal to every human (or elf?) language in the world (and fiction) he wouldn't have known to incorporate that into his conlang in time before he published it.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#163 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:15 PM

View PostD, on 23 January 2022 - 07:56 PM, said:

Also, that study you're linking to was published 20 January 2022... I don't think Tolkien was still working on his conlang 3 days ago, so even if that trend applies universal to every human (or elf?) language in the world (and fiction) he wouldn't have known to incorporate that into his conlang in time before he published it.

Yes, but as a linguist acquainted with many different languages he would at least have been aware of similar words in languages he was familiar with, and may well have consciously noticed the pattern (in at least those languages). IDK when an observation of the pattern (or some variant of it) for at least some subset of languages was first published.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

#164 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:31 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 January 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yes, but as a linguist acquainted with many different languages he would at least have been aware of similar words in languages he was familiar with, and may well have consciously noticed the pattern (in at least those languages). IDK when an observation of the pattern (or some variant of it) for at least some subset of languages was first published.

I'm not a lingusit either, but I think it isn't unreasonable to assume the study of linguistics has advanced *a lot* since a century ago.

Plus why can't a linguist who knows trends about human languages decide to break those rules for their elvish conlang? It's like saying a biologist who writes a fantasy book isn't allowed to have a sentient four-legged species because "as a biologist, they'd be aware that humans in the real world are bipedal".

#165 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:58 PM

View PostD, on 23 January 2022 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 January 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

I'm not a lingusit either, but I think it isn't unreasonable to assume the study of linguistics has advanced *a lot* since a century ago.

Plus why can't a linguist who knows trends about human languages decide to break those rules for their elvish conlang? It's like saying a biologist who writes a fantasy book isn't allowed to have a sentient four-legged species because "as a biologist, they'd be aware that humans in the real world are bipedal".

From 1922 (Tolkien was born in 1892):

'According to Webster's Dictionary, our language has two forms of r. The first is known as trilled, rough or initial r, and according to some authorities it should be used only for platform or stage presentation.'

So he almost certainly would have been aware of an association between the trilled r and roughness, even in English.

https://www.google.c...tsec=frontcover

Sure, conscious awareness of these (or other) associations could make it easier to intentionally deviate from them, if he had wanted to.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 January 2022 - 09:52 PM

#166 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image

#167 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:38 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#168 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:50 AM

huh, that wood elf gal from those Hobbit movies is an anti-vaxxer. Weird days, these. Not sure, but that character was made up just for the movies and doesn't appear in any of Tolkien's official works, right?

#169 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 January 2022 - 07:44 AM

Yeah non cannon to throw a love triangle into the mix

#170 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:33 AM

View PostMacros, on 28 January 2022 - 07:44 AM, said:

Yeah non cannon to throw a love triangle into the mix

An isosceles triangle?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#171 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 February 2022 - 05:01 PM

Character posters! Spoilered for size!
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#172 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:29 PM

Anyone want to have a go at placing names to each of them? I looked on the Rings of Power IMDB > Series Cast... there's no character names posted yet. :-(

Also, those acorns and berries cradled in the the hands on the 3rd row look very bountiful. What an age to be alive.

#173 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 February 2022 - 08:03 PM

Supposedly something going to be shown during the Superb Owl. A rumor though, but I wonder what it will be if true?

#174 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 February 2022 - 01:57 PM

AAAHHHHHHHH! First look photos!

Arondir (new character, Silvan elf)
Attached File  Arondir.jpg (38.81K)
Number of downloads: 0

Bronwyn (human, Healer, widow)
Attached File  Bronwyn.jpg (53.17K)

Bronwyn & Arondir (they share a sort of forbidden human/Elf love affair) Also, can I say how very much I ADORE this shot. It's bloody gorgeous.
Attached File  BronwynArondir.jpg (76.19K)

Disa (Dwarf Princess!) I'm so happy we get to see a female dawrf at last!
Attached File  Disa.jpg (63.67K)

Speaking of Dwarves...here's Durin IV
Attached File  Durin IV.jpg (44.2K)

Young Elrond (at this point he's a sort of statesman and architect in the city of Lindon)
Attached File  Elrond.jpg (66.79K)

Elrond and Galadriel reunite in Lindon
Attached File  elrondGalad.jpg (293.06K)

Galadriel (can I say how happy I am that we are seeing Galadriel during her pre-Healer/Preistess Amazon Warriror phase?!)
Attached File  Galadriel.jpg (35.42K)

Galadriel again, Morfydd Clarke looks GREAT as the character. If we can't have Cate Blanchett, this works for me.
Attached File  Galadriel2.png (1015.78K)

Halbrand (human character, brand new)
Attached File  Halbrand.jpg (46.09K)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 February 2022 - 01:58 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#175 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 February 2022 - 02:21 PM

Some interesting stuff here.

https://editorial.ro...-amazon-series/

#176 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 February 2022 - 02:29 PM

I love that we will see the slow and inexorable corruption that Sauron (in guises like Annatar) bleeds into Middle Earth so long after Morgoth was defeated...

I don't think I've been this excited for a show in a long time!

And if Joseph Mawle is playing Sauron....ooh man!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 February 2022 - 02:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#177 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:04 PM

The more I've thought about it, the more the choice of period is brilliant. The Second Age remains largely unwritten aside from the outline and major events (Numenor, forging of the Rings). Whilst rights to the Appendices means they can reference all those big events and key characters (Ar-Pharazon is cast! Downfall of Numenor confirmed!), they have so much scope for new stories and to show the wider realm of Middle Earth without constantly bumping into and ending up conflicting with existing canon.

Pictures are giving me similar vibes to the Wheel of Time ones in that everything looks a smidge too clean, but photoshoot stills are totally different from watching an episode. I'm very excited!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#178 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:11 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 11 February 2022 - 03:04 PM, said:

The more I've thought about it, the more the choice of period is brilliant. The Second Age remains largely unwritten aside from the outline and major events (Numenor, forging of the Rings). Whilst rights to the Appendices means they can reference all those big events and key characters (Ar-Pharazon is cast! Downfall of Numenor confirmed!), they have so much scope for new stories and to show the wider realm of Middle Earth without constantly bumping into and ending up conflicting with existing canon.

Yes, very much agree!

Also, the fact that Howard Shore is scoring it...bliss.

#179 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:14 PM

Why does the female dwarf not have a beard??

#180 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 February 2022 - 04:11 PM

Gotta get that nerd creeping on characters on, can't objectify the lady if you give her a beard surely?

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users