Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#141 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:10 PM

TEASER, and show title.

Fuck me, I can has it NOW PLEASE?!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#142 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

TEASER, and show title.

Fuck me, I can has it NOW PLEASE?!

First two eps 1 hour 30 min runtime too which is epic in itself if true! Cannot wait!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#143 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

O dang
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#144 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:47 PM

Also, that whole sequence was done practically...no CGI...which is IMPRESSIVE. I though it was CGI, but they created all that practical and filmed it.

If anyone wants to know why WOT seems like it has a rank budget...this is why. Bezos money went to Tolkien.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#145 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:50 PM

. . ."in the land of Mordor" -- moreddth doordth

Cringy. The narrator really went for it on that emphasis and inflection. Comes off kind of cheesy, imo. Sounds vikingny (is that a word?).

Also, not trying to be nitpicky, but the age with which the show takes place would have nothing to do with the rings of power, right? Or am I incorrect on that?

Will watch it for sure, but fuck Bezos. https://www.youtube....h?v=nkBGe-VYT5Y

Also, the Amazon Prime Video logo visible throughout is annoying. The logo looks like it should be re-purposed for peyronie's disease (warning don't search for peyronie's disease, or do so at your peril, you've been warned).

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 19 January 2022 - 10:55 PM

#146 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, I’m in the “that narration was cheesy as hell” club.

I’ll still watch it 100%, but after WoT, I’m much less excited.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#147 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:40 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 19 January 2022 - 11:35 PM, said:

Yeah, I’m in the “that narration was cheesy as hell” club.

I’ll still watch it 100%, but after WoT, I’m much less excited.

That is Tolkien’s actual pronunciation of the word. And he was a linguist.

#148 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 January 2022 - 02:40 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm in the "that narration was cheesy as hell" club.

I'll still watch it 100%, but after WoT, I'm much less excited.

That is Tolkien's actual pronunciation of the word. And he was a linguist.

Doesn't sound as bad when he (or he as Gandalf, at least, in this clip) chants it:

(starts at 29 seconds in)

#149 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:05 AM

I can't believe this thing isn't out till September. LOTR-mania might be over by then!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#150 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 January 2022 - 03:42 AM, said:

Doesn't sound as bad when he (or he as Gandalf, at least, in this clip) chants it:

Well, I'm not going by ear of an old piece of audio, I'm going by the man's words himself from the books about pronunciation in them (Both PJ and it appears the tv show intentionally are using Tolkien's own linguistic intent).

from the books:

1) R represents a trilled r in all positions; the sound was not lost before consonants (as in English part).
2) the sounds were approximately those represented by i, e, a, o, u in English machine, were, father, for, brute, irrespective of quantity.
3) The position of the 'accent' or stress is not marked, since in the Eldarin languages concerned its place is determined by the form of the word. In words of two syllables it falls in practically all cases on the first syllable.
In other words- the m is like in english, the 'o' is like the 'o' in english 'for', and the two 'r's are trilled (slightly rolled). Finally, the accent is on the first syllable. The result is exactly as you hear it in the movies: MORRRRdorrrr.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 January 2022 - 01:40 PM

#151 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 January 2022 - 01:40 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 January 2022 - 03:42 AM, said:

Well, I'm not going by ear of an old piece of audio, I'm going by the man's words himself from the books about pronunciation in them (Both PJ and it appears the tv show intentionally are using Tolkien's own linguistic intent).

from the books:

1) R represents a trilled r in all positions; the sound was not lost before consonants (as in English part).
2) the sounds were approximately those represented by i, e, a, o, u in English machine, were, father, for, brute, irrespective of quantity.
3) The position of the 'accent' or stress is not marked, since in the Eldarin languages concerned its place is determined by the form of the word. In words of two syllables it falls in practically all cases on the first syllable.
In other words- the m is like in english, the 'o' is like the 'o' in english 'for', and the two 'r's are trilled (slightly rolled). Finally, the accent is on the first syllable. The result is exactly as you hear it in the movies: MORRRRdorrrr.

Satisfying the explicit rules is not necessarily the same as doing it in a way that sounds good. Though the actor also arguably gives too much emphasis to the second syllable, when the stress is on the first. It's as if an uncalled-for secondary stress is placed on the second syllable. And instead of being slightly rolled, the rolling is over-exaggerated.

The rhythm also seems off as a consequence of over-emphasis of certain words and the insertion of odd pauses---opting for a more 'theatrical', actorly delivery (O what a creative actor, randomly inserting pauses to break up the intended verse rhythm!) instead of allowing the musicality and simplicity to flow, as it were, 'trippingly on the tongue'.

'for the elven... kings!' wtf seriously?

At very least they should have done more takes. Wonder if they got significant audience feedback before choosing this one.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 January 2022 - 05:35 PM

#152 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:12 PM

Jeezus man...

#153 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 January 2022 - 04:12 PM, said:

Jeezus man...

It's MORRR-dorr not MORRRRRR-DORRRRR

#154 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 January 2022 - 10:50 PM, said:

Also, not trying to be nitpicky, but the age with which the show takes place would have nothing to do with the rings of power, right? Or am I incorrect on that?

Nah, they're made pretty much bang smack in the middle of the Second Age (which is the period the TV series is covering). The Second Age ends after the battle shown in the prologue of the Fellowship of the Ring film :)

Trailer is interesting, if a little cheesy.

I'm excited to see the series. I expect there will be changes and a lot of simplifying (The Silmarillion is a beast) but as long as the spirit of the story is there, I'll be happy. I'm still getting my head around the fact we'll actually get to see the Downfall of Numenor on screen!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 January 2022 - 06:38 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#155 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:35 PM

The Rings of Power were forged in the Second Age, which is when Amazon says the series takes place. If I remember my timeline correctly, during the Second Age, Sauron forged the Rings to try and gain control, but it didn't quite work, hence the Last Alliance to stop him.

#156 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:45 PM

From what I could gather on a timeline, there's about 100 years between the elven rings being forged and the One Ring being made. The dwarven rings and the human rings were made somewhere in between.

If this were a story with a bunch of mortals, it'd be so hard to get through 100 years in whatever amount of seasons they do of this, but nearly immortal elves and dwarves make this so much easier.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#157 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:30 AM

Wonder if Tolkien was aware of this (almost certainly to some extent):

'In languages spoken around the world, words describing rough surfaces are highly likely to feature a "trilled /r/" sound—a linguistic pattern that stretches back over 6,000 years, a new study reveals.

[...] from Basque "zakarra" and Mongolian "barzgar" to Dutch "ruw" and Hungarian "durva," these words feature the common sound—an "r" pronounced as an Italian speaker might say "arrivederci."

[about 20 seconds in:]

[Not anywhere near as exaggerated as in the Amazon clip. Much closer to Tolkien's pronunciation.]

Next, they found that the "/r/-for-rough" pattern is prevalent across sensory words in 38 present-day Indo-European languages. It can even be traced to the reconstructed roots of Proto-Indo-European—indicating that the pattern has likely existed in this large language family for more than six millennia.

[...]

[...] "This is one of the most widespread examples so far of cross-modal iconicity in spoken languages—linking the sounds of speech to the sense of touch. Such cross-modal associations can play a significant role in shaping the forms of spoken words in natural languages—showing that many aspects of language structure are shaped by the human ability to spot and use perceptual analogies that create iconic links between form and meaning."'

I guess 'Mordor' is pretty rough, eh?

Rough neighborhood anyway....

#158 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:00 AM

Cringy. The narrator really went for it on that emphasis and inflection. Comes off kind of cheesy, imo. Sounds vikingny (is that a word?).

Also, the Amazon Prime Video logo visible throughout is annoying. The logo looks like it should be re-purposed for peyronie's disease (warning don't search for peyronie's disease, or do so at your peril, you've been warned).

You say that but rolling the r is quite common in languages outside of english just pointing that out.

#159 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:53 AM

This rolling R stuff is less interesting than there being 2 different kinds of Rs in the silver letters in the promo. I think I like the non-tail version better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#160 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:57 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 January 2022 - 02:00 AM, said:

You say that but rolling the r is quite common in languages outside of english just pointing that out.

True dat dudebro. I remember the Spanish class I had in 7th grade, the teacher (Mr. Martinez), when we were going over colors and pronouncing the word for yellow - armarillo, he'd be all like "it's not 'arm-uh-riller', it's arm-a-rrree-oh'. Trill the Rs, make sure you trill the Rs!"

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users