• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR AKA Thanos Comes to Town

#41 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

I wonder if The Collector (played by Benicio del Toro) has a role in this? I didn't see him in the trailer, but I know he appeared in one of those during/after credits (for the Thor movie?).

Also, about who could match Thanos to defeat him. What about one of the Watchers? I suppose by their very nature, they wouldn't get involved, in fact I vaguely remember when The Beyonder's presence was first made known, it was the one and only time one of the Watchers had the smallest thought about intervening, but didn't. If one of them did take action though... whoooo doggy!

#42 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 November 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

I wonder if The Collector (played by Benicio del Toro) has a role in this? I didn't see him in the trailer, but I know he appeared in one of those during/after credits (for the Thor movie?).

The Collector was in the post-credits for Thor 2, when Asgard gave the Aether into his care. That was before GotG, and the last we've seen of the Aether; presumably it's still in his possession, meaning there's a good chance he shows up in Infinity War.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#43 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Also, about who could match Thanos to defeat him.

Look, I wasn't going to go there, but you made me. On your own head be it:

Posted Image
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 November 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

View PostAlternative Goose, on 30 November 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

The thing is that with the exception of the not oft mentioned "wards", all the character's in Eriksons stories are squishy. You could kill Anomander Rake with an unguarded heart stab. You can blow a hole in a dragon with a cusser.

The Marvel Universe doesn't work like that. If you're invulnerable, you're (99,999%) invulnerable. Thanos would be the equivelant of an Armor-plated Jaghut Tyrant on the malazan planet. Special magical weapons, like Dragnipur or Burns Hammer could probably kill him but you have to avoid getting face blasted or telekinetically torn apart before that happens.

Thanos has literally been killed by an unguarded heart stab (well, heart grab) before.

Touche. I haven't read that comic. Who exactly pulled off this feat? (Was it squirrel girl?)

#45 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Also, about who could match Thanos to defeat him. What about one of the Watchers? I suppose by their very nature, they wouldn't get involved, in fact I vaguely remember when The Beyonder's presence was first made known, it was the one and only time one of the Watchers had the smallest thought about intervening, but didn't. If one of them did take action though... whoooo doggy!

Wait? When did the watchers become badasses? I thought Utatu was the only surviving watcher as well?

#46 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

The thing is though that when they're in a superhero universe they're no longer overpowered, because there's lots of them about. I've never understood that particular criticism of Superman for example, that he's boring because he's powerful. He isn't, on paper, even the most powerful member of the regular Justice League (that's Martian Manhunter, though obviously he's not in the movie version, or the Flash) and there are a few villains who can kick his arse. When he's protected, it's because of plot armour and bad writing, not the scope of his powers as such (Superman should never ever be able to beat Darkseid in a straight arse-kicking contest for example, but it's happened, more than once. Too many writers, including, sadly, the otherwise really good Geoff Johns, currently setting the course of the DCEU, don't really get how to use Darkseid).
Same goes for Thor. Lots of people who can take him- some always, some on a good day.

I don't think its a defence to say there are even more insanely overpowered characters. I enjoy the avengers cartoons. Great fun. Yet here is the thing. We have Hulk and Thor Tier 1, We have Iron man Tier 2 and then we have captain America, black panther etc a distant Tier 3. Then we have Black widow and Hawkeye. What? When I see thor who can bench press over a 100 tons hit the bad guy of the weak and that bad guy shrugs it off its a conceit of the genre to then have hawkeye slap that guy with his bow. The bad guy will shrug it off too but here is the thing. Haweye should know to not even try, he should break both wrists in his hand for even trying. The power scales are too imbalanced when you have characters like superman fighting alongside batman. Now when the writing is good we can deal with this, if the blackwidow/batman are doing their spy and detective thing and we call in Thor/superman to deal with cthulu we can see them each playing their role. The simple truth is that characters like thor are poorly thought out in some ways and are very dependent on their writers.

I remember superman in some DC animated movie or something thanking darkseid for coming to earth because finally superman wouldn't have to worry about holding back. He than kicked darkseids ass up and down metropolis. When every character is god it comes down to writer bias who wins. Or making the absurd happen to justify weaker but popular characters inclusions.

Even in Malazan we saw power creep, retcons and inconsistencies. Are forkrul Assail badasses who wipe out whole armies single handedly and can survive millennia imprisoned under rocks or are they the kind of badass who get their asses kicked by Kenryllah demons. The answer is somehow both and that's when only one author is in charge.

Its often said its not your characters powers that make him interesting its his faults

#47 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 01 December 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

View PostAlternative Goose, on 30 November 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

The thing is that with the exception of the not oft mentioned "wards", all the character's in Eriksons stories are squishy. You could kill Anomander Rake with an unguarded heart stab. You can blow a hole in a dragon with a cusser.

The Marvel Universe doesn't work like that. If you're invulnerable, you're (99,999%) invulnerable. Thanos would be the equivelant of an Armor-plated Jaghut Tyrant on the malazan planet. Special magical weapons, like Dragnipur or Burns Hammer could probably kill him but you have to avoid getting face blasted or telekinetically torn apart before that happens.

Thanos has literally been killed by an unguarded heart stab (well, heart grab) before.

Touche. I haven't read that comic. Who exactly pulled off this feat? (Was it squirrel girl?)

It was Drax.

Spoiler

At the end of the amazingly good Annihilation crossover event.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 01 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#48 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 30 November 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Thanos looks badass. I want him to show it too. Kill, kill, kill :p

Calm down there, Tatterphile.

It's rated PG, bro. Think of the wife.....the kids....
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#49 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

In seriousness, the slow monologue he gives during the trailer is definitively wicked.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 01 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#50 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

More like underwhelming. Much like his appearance is unimpressive, his voice should sound like boulders grinding against each other during a thunderstorm. It should sound like something so deep and powerful, that your seat vibrates in the cinema when he speaks. Not just some guy monologuing. I don't understand how his appearance or voice got okay'd.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 01 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 01 December 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

his voice should sound like boulders grinding against each other during a thunderstorm. It should sound like something so deep and powerful, that your seat vibrates in the cinema when he speaks.

According to?

Is Thanos heard in audio anywhere but in the existing the movies?

Is this just something you made into head canon and won't accept a substitute for now?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Go back on the other page and look at his speech bubbles. But I guess you're right, Thanos could sound like anything... However would you want or expect him to sound "normal"? He's a god like alien. I want every aspect of him to ooze power.

But then again, I complained about this similar lack of presence, that the Asgardians have.

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 December 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

his voice should sound like boulders grinding against each other during a thunderstorm. It should sound like something so deep and powerful, that your seat vibrates in the cinema when he speaks.

According to?

Is this just something you made into head canon and won't accept a substitute for now?

How about a posh British accent? Something slow and drawling and superior - like Humphrey from Yes Minister? More interesting IMO

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 01 December 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Go back on the other page and look at his speech bubbles. But I guess you're right, Thanos could sound like anything... However would you want or expect him to sound "normal"? He's a god like alien. I want every aspect of him to ooze power.

But then again, I complained about this similar lack of presence, that the Asgardians have.

I care little as long as the performance is solid.

But for reference, I mean, look at what happens with Oscar Isaac's Apocalypse in Xmen...they gave his voice this big, grinding, gravelly affectation and it was bloody awful.

View PostAndorion, on 01 December 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

According to?

How about a posh British accent? Something slow and drawling and superior - like Humphrey from Yes Minister? More interesting IMO

What, like the brainy Gremlin from Gremlins 2?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#55 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Peewee Herman would be ideal

#56 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#57 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 December 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

I’m not sure what that is but I cut it off at 2:32 lol Surfer was cool though.

Super Hero Squad, a kids' cartoon featuring super-deformed versions of tons of Marvel characters. It ran for a couple of seasons, and was pretty funny/clever. My kids were pretty into it for a year or three.

#58 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

I just want the dialogue to be clearly audible. I'm sick and tired of movies that have effects that shatter my eardrums (even on TV) and then you can't hear the goddamn dialogue because it's too quiet or overwhelmed by the effects.

Get it right - it can't be that difficult.

Yes, I could use the subtitle function at home (or go to one of those cinema sessions for the deaf), but I shouldn't have to.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#59 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

I hate to sound like an old man and agree.

They have sound techs, their job is to manage the sound.
We get it, splosions, car chases and shit need loud dramatic music.
But don't make that the baseline for your sound, on the quiet parts, turn the fucking dialogue up.

#60 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

Amen.

PS
I have no idea who 90% of those characters are.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users