• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Netflix to produce The Witcher tv series

#101 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

The Nilfgaardian armour doesn't look terrible in that shot & the music sounds on-point too.

#102 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:40 AM

This looks like someone stuck their hand into my brain and scooped out a series that they knew I'd love.

Corny fact - Henry Cavill is the son in the Movie version The Count of Monte Cristo.

Corny fact, thanks to my wife - When Myers wrote The Twilight series, Henry Cavill and his look in The Count, is whom she imagined her Edward.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#103 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

The Witcher Netflix series will be "taking the fantasy out" and leaning more towards horror

Posted Image

#104 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:43 AM

I don't know who this Parry person is but they sound like the type who doesn't read fantasy.

#105 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

Henry Cavill is doing the promotion circuit. I think I have the link below time stamped to a new clip sown during the interview, but you may have to adjust per your situation. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/oO-5dtlOyBM?t=383

#106 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:44 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 December 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

Henry Cavill is doing the promotion circuit. I think I have the link below time stamped to a new clip sown during the interview, but you may have to adjust per your situation. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/oO-5dtlOyBM?t=383

Duny the Hedgehog man looks great! If a little creepy...
This can't come soon enough!

#107 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:40 PM

Title says it's the final trailer.

[quote] "Don't touch Roach." Posted ImagePosted Image

#108 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, I hate it. Still think Cavill is a disgrace as Geralt and Yennefer is not Yennefer.

So, apparently, this is not a fantasy series because they can't pull off army scenes, while showing a battle scene in the trailer. Got it.

My friends and I have this tradition of watching something so shit it becomes a comedy on New Year's eve for funsies. This series has been nominated for that by three out of four people now.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#109 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:42 PM

Henry William Cavill is AMAZING. I can't wait to watch. It looks like some if the best t.v since Dark, Sense8, and the OA yo hit Nflix.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#110 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

Mixed feelings about this project.

I mean... most of it is pretty great. The show itself is probably going to be good. Henry Cavill and Freya Allan are brilliant casts. High production value is there, they're trying to stay close to the books, everything's there to make a great piece of fiction.

Then again, the same was true when Game of Thrones started out. Who's to say that this series won't devour the source material eventually and start spitting out god-forsakes abominations like Dorne and Winterfell in the later seasons? How will the subject evolve when saddled with a gigantic weight of raging hordes of fanpersons that just have to have a show to constantly watercooler-chat about, like with GoT or Sopranos or Lost or even the Expanse nowdays? Somehow the spirit of the original will be lost. It's the most successful part of polish culture abroad and I fear it's going to get completely assimilated and watered down over time.

I hope for the best but fear the worst. At the very least, it's probably going to be a good watch.
Except the scrotum armor.

Edit: Come to think of it, Freya Allan would actually make a brilliant cast for Triss, from how I imagined her back before the games were a thing. Tiny Triss with auburn hair.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 19 December 2019 - 04:27 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#111 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:38 PM

huh, this starts tomorrow 20th-December. Well I'll be damned, Christmas ham from Alabam. Smack my ass and call me Sally, I did not know that.

Posted Image

#112 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:44 PM

Really enjoyed the first episode.

#113 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:27 PM

...well, at least they worked on that godawful wig. I stand by my opinion of Cavill's acting being about as deep and interesting as a shallow puddle of mud. A cliched one at that.

I do dig the music, though. It does actually sound Slavic, unlike everything else so far. But then again, going by the production team and cast, Sonya Belousova may be the only actual Slav involved.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#114 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

Four episodes in I think and honestly the narrative is a bit of a mess. Fight choreography in episode 1 was spectacular but that was the only moment of greatness.

The Nilfgardian armor looks better than set photos indicates but still looks stupid and everyone else has spectacular armor so I kinda have to ask myself why

#115 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

I have seen three episodes
Acting and dialogue - spotty. Sometimes good, sometimes not.
Overall story - 3 timelines feels convoluted.

I like the music, I love Dandelion and his song, I love Yennefer.

Cavill is great when he is fighting.

#116 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:32 AM

I really want to jump in but I promised myself I'd read at least the first four books first.

The fight scenes I've seen certainly look cool.

#117 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:42 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 December 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

Yeah, I'll give him that. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and is swinging something pointy made of metal it's actually not bad. Credit where it's due.

#118 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Why did they decide to make three timelines? Why?

Also not familiar with the books so I can’t tell if the book has a similar narrative structure but the tv show seems to gloss over important plot like renfri in episode 1 and Geralts relationship with a certain sorceroress. The show tells me they care for each other, there was no build up, no showing. Geraldo is deeply moved by render but I can’t really say why. His relationship with the bard is similarly confusing.

Even in the oldest timeline Gerald is a man who does the right thing no matter what. What shapes him to be this way.

#119 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:03 PM

View PostPuck, on 21 December 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 December 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

Yeah, I'll give him that. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and is swinging something pointy made of metal it's actually not bad. Credit where it's due.

I have to give in to Puck and agree with her on this.
I've watched the first 4 episodes
Spoiler

Edit: Made my spoiler more detailed.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 22 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

- Maynard James Keenan

#120 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:00 AM

View PostCause, on 21 December 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Why did they decide to make three timelines? Why?

Also not familiar with the books so I can’t tell if the book has a similar narrative structure but the tv show seems to gloss over important plot like renfri in episode 1 and Geralts relationship with a certain sorceroress. The show tells me they care for each other, there was no build up, no showing. Geraldo is deeply moved by render but I can’t really say why. His relationship with the bard is similarly confusing.

Even in the oldest timeline Gerald is a man who does the right thing no matter what. What shapes him to be this way.

The short stories (some of which I hear they're skipping, which I find worrying) that predate the 'Saga' are strictly Geralt-PoV linear. Blood of Elves onwards it's alternating between mainly Geralt and Ciri, with Dandelion, Vysygota of Corvo and Yen (and even Boreas Mun and Radowid once each iirc) get some page time as well. On top of that, sometimes there's chapters that insert people from different times or whatnot.

As for Geralt's relationship with Yen (I assume that's who you're asking about) is possibly going to be part of some episode if they decided to put that particular short story to the screen... if Last Wish is not part of the meal, I'll explain.
As for Dandelion, they're old friends dating back as far as the short story End of the World (or whatever the translation is), which also I'm not sure if they're doing - but this time could actually be older, I don't recall 100% if that's where they first met.
All this makes me want to re-read some stuff again ;)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users