• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Netflix to produce The Witcher tv series

#241 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:43 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 15 December 2022 - 11:53 AM, said:

'Henry Cavill Will Not Reprise Role as Superman, DC Comics CEO Confirms'

Henry Cavill Will Not Reprise Role as Superman, DC Comics CEO Confirms

... so if that was his real primary reason for leaving The Witcher... is it too late for him to return for season 4?

It wasn't. He was clearly unhappy with the direction the writers were taking the character. There's no other reason for every writer on the show to come out on twitter in some weird "worshipy" defence of the show runner...

Still, Cavil is massively unlucky. I'd like to see him as Eisenhorn in the Warhammer TV show being planned.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#242 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:05 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 December 2022 - 12:11 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 15 December 2022 - 11:59 AM, said:

Posted Image
Wth, now he's down 8 points on the IMDbPro Starmeter...my pension was tied to this...

At least you didn't peg it to Krypto ...

You're right, Super Pets is down 258 points!
Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#243 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:35 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 15 December 2022 - 11:53 AM, said:

'Henry Cavill Will Not Reprise Role as Superman, DC Comics CEO Confirms'

Henry Cavill Will Not Reprise Role as Superman, DC Comics CEO Confirms

... so if that was his real primary reason for leaving The Witcher... is it too late for him to return for season 4?

In other news Liam Hemsworth is looking at his phone nervously.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#244 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:53 PM

That's actually a good sign, as it's his first time successfully emoting. The man can't act, folks!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#245 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 03:26 PM

View Postworry, on 15 December 2022 - 02:53 PM, said:

That's actually a good sign, as it's his first time successfully emoting. The man can't act, folks!

Which Hemsworth is it? The Hunger Games one? Yeah, he's a thumb.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#246 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:26 PM

I would laugh so hard if they tossed Hemsworth and symbolically sacrificed/fired some of the writers to get Cavill back.

...mostly because i still don't buy the 'he quit because of the writing' thing, but that's just me.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#247 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 February 2023 - 03:01 PM

Whoa boy. What a shitshow this has become.

Season 1 was about as good as I could've hoped. Season 2 has very early started to change course towards complete idiocy, unwatchable no matter if you're a fan of earlier media or not. While I feel bad for Cavill, that was obviously a dream role for him and he was perfect for it, I think ultimately it's a good move for him.

It's always been a mystery to me how is it possible some people believe it's OK to hijack IPs like this. If you had your own story to tell, make up your own goddamn world, don't piggyback on better authors' hard work and success. It's disgusting. The way they treated some of the characters (especially Yennefer, Vesemir, and Eskel) is downright criminal.

As for writers mocking source materials and Hissrich failing to rein them in - there's no doubt in my mind she shares their opinion. Nobody with any love for the source material could've violated it like this.
Can't say I didn't expect thing to go this way, though. S01 was just a happy accident.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#248 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2023 - 03:05 PM

View PostGothos, on 24 February 2023 - 03:01 PM, said:

As for writers mocking source materials and Hissrich failing to rein them in - there's no doubt in my mind she shares their opinion.

Nowhere was this in fact more evident than in the fact that they (the various writers) closed fucking ranks around her when the shit was hitting the fan on Twitter about all this, it was clearly her idea to go in this direction. And those writers tweets were super nasty to the fans.

#249 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 July 2023 - 02:15 AM

I liked the five episodes of the Witcher. Yennefer, Ciri, Dijkstra, Geralt, Jaskier, and the royals all did a good job of keeping the story moving along. I think Anya and Freya have performed very well in a way that takes some of the burden of carrying the show away from Cavill, who remains perfect for the role.

I think the changes to the story aren't abysmal. They serve to more firmly connect the magic people to the other magic people, while certain behind the shadows people get a bit more sensible in terms of dealing so regularly with the magic people.

The elves do seem kinda pointless in this version though.

Overall, I still quite liked this.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#250 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 August 2023 - 12:18 AM

What the hell is happening! Why is it happening! For what happened at aretuza how can that have happened! Season 3s second half seems an absolute mess to me.

V

#251 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:48 PM

My wife and I think they tried to cram too much into an 8 episode season. They didn't have the time to focus on Geralt/Ciri/Yen, the other mages, Nilfgard, etc etc. They probably should've narrowed their focus given the number of episodes they had.

I enjoyed the first two seasons, this seemed to be a bit too much in a short amount of time.

#252 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:48 AM

Season 3 Episode 6 is a goddamn fantasy masterpiece. One of the very best culminations of storyline, acting, action, dialogue, and costumes/set design.

I haven't gone beyond this yet. But it's so good that I had to pause to say this.

#253 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:52 AM

The desert episode doesn't quite work - the longer, panned out shots of traveling were actually great, but the multiple faces delirious thing was really badly done. Pavetta's wig was awful.

The editing chopped up a decent episode. Maybe less delirium and more time with Geralt and Dandelion in Brokilon or Tries and Yennefer putting Aretuza back together or Emhyr putting together the war.

Finale was decent. I still think the season is too short and the dropping of the wild hunt is annoying when they were prominent at the end of last season.

Cavill, Ciri, Yennefer, Emhyr, and Jaskier are all great actors capable of holding attention even through the clunkier stuff. The show got the casting just right, but the editing sometimes... Oof.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users