• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Netflix to produce The Witcher tv series

#141 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the games take place after the book series and only loosely reference past events from the books.

#142 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:20 PM

Another excellent episode with
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#143 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

Finished season 1. Not bad, especially once I figured out the multiple timeline thing by about the end of ep 3. Yes I'm a bit slow. :p

Haven't read the books or played the game but didn't mind Cavill as Geralt, even though the raspy voice got a bit old fairly quickly. A bit melodramatic in places but eh, that's not so bad.

Yennefer has nice bewbs, bless her. :w00t:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#144 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

Yennefer is an extremely beautiful woman, yet her acting and the persona they've given her out shines even her gorgeous looks, or accentuates them, however you want to look at it.

She's the total package. I don't feel as bad writing about how incredibly beautiful and well formed because these are not the things on which the foundation of her character are built.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 27 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#145 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

Have they given her an aura of bitchiness and better than everyone else attitude?

#146 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

Yep. And that develops more with each episode.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#147 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

In my winter break, I have watched The Watchmen, The Expanse (S4), His Dark Materials, seasons 3 and 4 of the Wire, and now the Witcher.

In my opinion, this series outshined all of the above. It was the only one where I sat down intending to watch episode 1 to see if it's worth anything and not getting up until I'd finished the season at 7:25 AM the next day (right now). The only bad thing about the series is Cavill's portrayal of Geralt (he gets annoying quite early in the series), but I could ignore that easily because of how good everyone else was, specially Yennefer & Ciri.

I'm now feeling the pangs of post-story pain in my stomach, where I feel the need to fill the void in my life with anything.

Fuck that was a good finale.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#148 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm on ep 3, enjoying it so far. Its weirdly like watching someone else play the game. I take it that was based on the same story as the Baron from W3?

Geralt is good, although he moves well for someone that's probably carrying several hundred pounds of dog tallow. I'd also like to see him going through every bin and drawer in each room, even while the owners are talking to him.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#149 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:33 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 29 December 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

Skipping thread. Bruh wtf is going on? I’m so lost on this show! Finished Ep 4.

There's multiple time periods being shown. The oldest one is where Geralt first becomes a Witcher, has some adventures, becomes the Butcher of Blavikin, has more adventures, then meets Jaskier/Dandelion the bars, who then takes him to the big royal party where shit goes sideways. Possibly at the same time Geralt starts out, Yennefer gets her start as a magician and then goes on with her adventures.

Then the next time period is when Cintra falls, Ciri goes on the run, Geralt and Yennefer meet, and stuff happens.

The last time period being shown is how Geralt met up with Ciri.

All in all, maybe fifty years of story is being told and like Malazan, the more you pay attention and read or watch farther, the clearer it gets.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 30 December 2019 - 04:34 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#150 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

Read the post I made up above. It's spoiler free for where you are.

#151 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

Finished. Phenomenal. Leaves me desperate for season 2!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#152 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:16 AM

Finished watching the season, really enjoyed it, far more than I expected to. Girlfriend and I have been grunting at each other all week (stop it!). Cavill is certainly not the world’s greatest actor, but the character is basically both monosyllabic and monotone, so perfect for him :p I think he did a pretty good job, and both Ciri and especially Yennefer actor were very good.

I liked how each episode was both self-contained and managed to be part of a larger plot. And I was seriously impressed that they decided to interweave multiple timelines but without ever signalling that the timeline had changed, so you had to pay attention. I think that shows both guts and respect for the audience to be able to figure things out, and I think it worked really well. As Malazan fans, you should all be lapping up that kind of drop-you-in-without-explaining-anything tactic :)

Yes, at times I did get a few Xena: Warrior Princess vibes from the show, but the cheesiness, if anything, added to its likeability for me personally.

I should add, I’m speaking as someone whose prior knowledge comes only from the third game really, but for me it was cool to see things told in the lore of that game come on screen.

Really looking forward to season 2!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#153 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:33 AM

I thought Cavill did a great job in the more complex acting scenes like with Yennefer stop the mountain or when he interacted with Calanthe several times. He's a surprisely agile actor in terms of being able to convey a bruiser having complex emotions and dealing with people who have more power than he does (especially women).

Ciri/Allen is not the strongest actress, but she did alright. It might be that the most complex scenes she had were with the Brokilon dryads, Dara, and the other scenes were mostly her fleeing or acting quickly before something happened to put her in motion towards destiny again. I'm looking very much towards her longer scenes next season.

Yennefer/Chalotra to me did a better job acting with Tissaia, Istredd, and the time spent as a hunchback than she did on the beach with the baby or the tent conversation with Geralt. She was pretty stuff in the latter two and was much more able to convey things in other situations. Still a great find for the role.

I thought the actors playing Fringilla, Calanthe, Dara, and Jaskier did absolutely terrific in their roles. Eist had limited screentime, yet the connection was there with Calanthe.

There was also a very big difference between certain battle scenes in terms of choreography and camera angles. Perhaps some episodes got little budget or people who weren't that experienced in action while others got absolute masters.

The Doppler vs Cahir fight was kind of miserable, even with the difficulty of doubling. The Geralt scenes were almost all superb and they treated Yennefer well also.

#154 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:08 AM

Help, I've got 'Toss a coin to your witcher' stuck in my head. :apt: It doesn't help probably that I keep rewatching the series.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#155 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

...Fuck.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#156 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

...Hmmm.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#157 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

It seems there's a inverse relationship between how well you know the book world and how much you like the series.

After watching through this with the lady of the house over New Year's Eve and on the New Year's Day, I have... mixed feelings.

Spoilers all, of course.

Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#158 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, your complaints are definitely based 100% on the fact that you have read and liked the books and the TV show went in a different direction. As someone who has not read the books and has no knowledge of what happens in them, I had no issues with any of those things (but did think other elements were weaker).

Some of the things which you criticise I actually thought were strengths of the show (e.g. Calanthe and elven slaughter, I thought this added an excellent grey dimension to her character). Ok, so it might not be the same as in the books, apparently, but I guess I'm in the happy position of being able to take the show as its own thing.

A couple of other things might depend on what happens in a future season. For example, the Nilfgaard magic freedom thing - I actually got the sense that this was a lie and will be exposed as such in the next season, but we'll see. Similarly, with Vilgefortz, that final scene suggested that he might have deliberately thrown the fight with Cahir, but again I guess we'll find out in the next season.

Your last point feels pointless to me. Call me PC if you want, but I just don't see how some extra's skin colour takes away from enjoyment of the show when it has no bearing on plot or character.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#159 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 07 January 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Your last point feels pointless to me. Call me PC if you want, but I just don't see how some extra's skin colour takes away from enjoyment of the show when it has no bearing on plot or character.

Guess it's all about looking at the same object from different sides. I'd say that if it has no bearing on plot or character, why do it? Change for no reason within the story makes no sense. It makes about as much sense to me as casting Ed Sheeran as Kalam - screwing with the setting like this is just stupid. Don't re-write (hi)story.

It's doubly irritating when you consider that this is, was, the best way we could smuggle a little bit of the eastern flavour into the global consciousness other than poor criminals (like in Fugitive) or wartime traitors (like in Enigma). Some say this is diversity, but to me it kills diversity by making everything look the same. At least the games got it right.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#160 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

View PostGothos, on 07 January 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 07 January 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Guess it's all about looking at the same object from different sides. I'd say that if it has no bearing on plot or character, why do it? Change for no reason within the story makes no sense. It makes about as much sense to me as casting Ed Sheeran as Kalam - screwing with the setting like this is just stupid. Don't re-write (hi)story.

It's doubly irritating when you consider that this is, was, the best way we could smuggle a little bit of the eastern flavour into the global consciousness other than poor criminals (like in Fugitive) or wartime traitors (like in Enigma). Some say this is diversity, but to me it kills diversity by making everything look the same. At least the games got it right.

But this is a situation where the planet they're on did not have humans prior to the Conjunction of the Spheres. They traveled there from elsewhere and as a result, people everywhere have a ton of different skin colors.

I understand that the books and the games are heavily linked into a Polish heritage, but this makes sense for the TV show. It looks good and it lets some great actors do their jobs on-screen without penalty for their non-white skin color. That's worth a lot.

I also thought Eist saying we're losing and then dying wasn't a buffoon thing - it was a display of the futile stand + loss for Calanthe and we do see more of him to bring retrospective meaning to his character.

I agree that Calanthe being an elf murderer is a great move. It makes Ciri and her destiny a more complex thing. It creates a question of "would she just ignore this and continue being a human Cintra above all royal like her grandmother?" It brings the elf genocide into the story in a way that characters other than Geralt and Jaskier experience.

The tensions between human and non human are constantly popping up in the show and that's a good thing.

Nilfgard being off screen and treated like a civil war hotbed was a smart move. It makes the invasion force led by Cahir and Fringilla more of a surprise.

I am also not a fan of "the magic users have a very powerful and somewhat benevolent cabal" independent of the royals approach the TV show has. It makes the sudden decline post Yennefer an odd one. The enmeshment with the royals that the books and games have is a better approach, but it'd chew up a budget for Stodden to have two combined armies clash fully there. I note the budget bc the Nilfgard invasion seemed to be more a series of raids that shocked defenders, toppled courts, and led to slaughter of civilians.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users