• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#301 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

I just watched the ep back on Saru's home world. And then I read the thread. Not reading SE's rant as I don't give a toss about some guys nerd rage. I'm as big a Trek fan as the next lady nerd. I first watched TNG when I was what 7 or 8. Did I know all the officers names and roles after series 1? Did I hell. I just knew vaguely what they were about and that's enough.

Most of the Discovery bridge crew were bridge crew on the Shenzhou. Scar lady was No-Scar-lady until the battle of the binary stars. Hence early Burnham animosity. Yes they need to be fleshed out but right now we know Burnham, Saru, Pike, Tilly (love the fact she's too fat for the Star Fleet seven-of-nine catsuit look), Stametz, medical officer Stametz-resurrected-boyfriend and in-and-out officer Ash Tyler. We've got enough background on them for 1.25 seasons. TNG went on for years before we had a fully fleshed out core crew.

Right now it's worth watching once. Whether it's better than that long term - I'm still interested enough to find out. That's got to be good enough. Saying that I would have preferred a totally original concept in the Star Trek universe.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#302 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:24 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 March 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 01 March 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

" ...Burnham's voice-over (logs?) eschewing telling us where the hell the ship is and what it's supposed to be doing or anything useful, instead engaging in self-indulgent navel-gazing, thus accurately reflecting this narcissistic Abramverse, to a T."

I found this bit most interesting. :)

...... ever heard of the Kharkanas books, Steve?:)

Right?! Pot kettle and all that...I’ve never read an author who allows more pointless navel gazing as Erikson. I love his books and all, but jeebus...lol
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#303 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, just enjoy it for what it is. If it's not your cup of tea and they aren't staying true to the heart and soul of the previous shows (whatever that bullshit may mean) then hit the road and and instead keep watching reruns of those older shows. If you find yourself counting the number of 'lens flares' and that causes you much vexation, then maybe do something else.

Live long and prosper.
Posted Image

#304 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 March 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

-and instead keep watching reruns of those older shows.

Hah! I don't need to watch reruns because I've got the password for my sisters Netflix! Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#305 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

Okay, yes I have too much spare time and went looking for this, because I was virtually sure one of the commenters on the FB post was right in saying we didn't know that much about the bridge crew right away in any other iteration either (and Mezla echoed it for TNG above). I'm trusting to the accuracy of Memory Alpha here because my memory is not that encylopedic, and I picked TNG because it's the one I'm most familiar with.

How far into the series we started to get substantial backstory for the bridge crew (ignoring Picard), according to the mentions on Memory Alpha of which episodes contained which references:

Riker: Series 2, Episode 12 is where it properly starts, aside from the odd references made in passing.

La Forge: odd scraps before, but mostly begins in Series 4, ramping up in Series 5.

Worf: again, little bits before, but "Sins of the Father" is where it ramps up and that's Series 3, episode 17 (and that's ignoring the expansion on his backstory in DS9 for the purposes of this point).

Troi: She's mostly the odd one out. You have the pre-arranged marriage episode in Series 1, the energy-beam pregnancy thing in Series 2, but again after that it's mostly series 3 onwards.

Crusher: Seemingly nobody gave a monkey's about her backstory until Series 4 (bearing in mind she had the period of absence as well).

Data: A bit earlier, "Datalore" is Series 1, Episode 13.

...... put like that, Discovery is doing a bit better in that we've got backgrounds for Burnham, Saru, Tilly, Staamets and (if we count him) Tyler already.

As expected - "it's not my favourite Star Trek therefore it's bad Star Trek, boo hoo." :) I've no problem with people criticising and disliking it - but it would be nice if people weren't criticising it for things most of ST is guilty of just because they're spitting their respective nerd dummies out.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#306 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

Watched the Saru's homeworld episode (which was excellent)....but whodathunk that Saru's homeworld was the Scarborough Bluffs, where we walked our dog many a time when he was still with us. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#307 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

Just a quick FYI - I just posted SE's rant because I thought it was interesting that the author this site is about had something to say.

I mostly disagree with him, and agree with what you all have said! I watch Discovery almost as religiously as any other show in the lineup of shows that I watch. It's by no means as good as shows like The Magicians or Expanse or even, in my opinion, Killjoys, but I do enjoy it! I personally LOVE Tilly (Captain Killy ftw!), I think Saru's a great character, and I was never a big enough trekkie to be annoyed or even slightly bothered by any continuity crap that others seem to care about. I'm here for the sci-fi, emphasis on the fi.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#308 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostBlend, on 04 March 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

Just a quick FYI - I just posted SE's rant because I thought it was interesting that the author this site is about had something to say.

I mostly disagree with him, and agree with what you all have said! I watch Discovery almost as religiously as any other show in the lineup of shows that I watch. It's by no means as good as shows like The Magicians or Expanse or even, in my opinion, Killjoys, but I do enjoy it! I personally LOVE Tilly (Captain Killy ftw!), I think Saru's a great character, and I was never a big enough trekkie to be annoyed or even slightly bothered by any continuity crap that others seem to care about. I'm here for the sci-fi, emphasis on the fi.

Totally get you - it was an interesting read. My curiousity just got picqued on the "no backgrounds" thing so I went for a nosy, I'm not in it for tearing opinions down.

Very much with you on "here for the sci-fi, emphasis on the fi"! Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#309 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:09 AM

What I do agree with SE on though, is the series unwillingness to take its time with things. Running from one scene to the next takes away some of the emotional impact. I also wish they could perhaps make the main character be wrong once in a while. That being said, I still very much enjoy the show.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#310 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

Episode nine legitimately made me cry.

Whatever is said about rushing and lack of time taken, not setting up the characters etc - if it provokes genuine emotional response, it's doing something right. Maybe it doesn't make logical sense why - and maybe that's the beauty of the sheer breadth and scope of what can provoke emotion in people.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#311 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

Oh it's getting good again. I'm one episode behind.

#312 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

That. Finale!

Holy shitbuckets.

Spoiler territory (though BK, as someone who didn't like what Disco was...I think it's safe to say you MIGHT like what it will be in S3 and onwards...so check this out if you care)

Spoiler

But yes, as someone who really didn't like S1, I have not only come around on S2 of this show to loving it...but I'm now ready to call it the best Star Trek show in the franchise. Boom. I said it.

I can't WAIT for S3.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

#313 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

I finished it. I liked it a lot. Struggling for details as my watching of the finale kept getting interrupted so I can't really think of any bits that hooked me but darn it, I need to watch it again. There's been too much good stuff to watch lately, I can't keep up.

#314 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Episode was fine but it we knocj game of thrones tactics....

The fight lasts and hour and no ones shield ever fall below 30% despite two star trek ships battling 30 and trading blows for so long! Didnt make sense

#315 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:33 PM

AHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm so fucking pumped for this!

#316 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

Might start watching this as they've just introduced the Discovery world to the Star Trek Fleet Command game.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#317 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

Start with season 2, and wiki season 1...season 2 is leaps and bounds better than s1. Completely different show runners and writers took over in s2.

#318 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

I can't do that. I just can't. I need to see it all but I'm grateful for the heads up that it gets better.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#319 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

I thought series 1 had plenty of good points - and it's worth watching for Jason Isaacs chewing the scenery as Captain Lorca at the very least (seem to remember Mez and I had similar rather specific feelings about Lorca!)

I would agree series 2 was much stronger though, so worth sticking it out if you're not sold on the first series.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#320 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:35 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

I thought series 1 had plenty of good points - and it's worth watching for Jason Isaacs chewing the scenery as Captain Lorca at the very least (seem to remember Mez and I had similar rather specific feelings about Lorca!)

I would agree series 2 was much stronger though, so worth sticking it out if you're not sold on the first series.

I agree that there is parts of S1 that are worthy, and yeah Jason Isaacs is great as usual. It was just hard to stomach lots of it for me.

Series 2 got rid of all the issues I had with the series in S1, including even minor aesthetic stuff...and then S2 finale is literally mind blowing.

and spoilers for S3

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users