Malazan Empire: Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF Gradual Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

View Postworry, on 09 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Seasons 2-5 (& books 2-5) take place on a different continent w/ different characters (think Midnight Tides), so you don't get any of your answers. That's why everyone is so mad about GRRM taking so long.

Wait a second, he drops all the story lines? Or just the Daenerys storyline?

#62 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Worry is just pulling your leg.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#63 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Not many questions that can be answered among those, except a Dany one about the fire

Remember what she said when they killed her brother? "He wasn't a dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon"
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#64 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Season 1, Episode 10.

WTF. Just that. WTF

All questions. Just so many questions

1. I have a bad feeling about the Nights Watch's expedition. Whatever is happening beyond the wall, it has to be on a pretty large scale, right?
Life is what happens when you're busy trying to seize the throne...

2. Arya goes to the Wall, but how long does her guardian think her boy disguise is going to hold? He does understand basic biology, right? And once she reaches the wall she can't even run. her best hope seems to be to clear out somewhere in the middle.

The route to the Wall will take the group right past Winterfell. Yoren is planning on dropping Ary off at Winterfell (or with any reliable Stark vassals he comes across.

3. Joffrey is a sadist. Why am I not surprised? What an awesome king. A spoilt brat sadist. This was Tywins big plan?

I think he underestimated just how bratty Joff is.

4. Is Cersei now sleeping with the younger Lannister boy, Roberts ex-page? How come the Lannisters rampant incest hasn't come back to bite them with a huge number of birth defects? I mean except Tyrion, whose dwarfism is probably attributed to this?

Cersei wants Jamie and Lancel is a stunt cock. That's about it for the Lannister incest.

5. The High Maester/arch Maester.... whatever is way more spry than he looks. Is he one of those loyal to the throne, not the king chaps?

WAFO

6. Was Sansa thinking of a murder-suicide?

Yup

7. So the big strategy of the Starks is secession? How is this going to win them allies? Any future king who agrees to the secession of the NOrth will look weak.
Check out the map of Westeros and see what an alliance of The North, Riverlands, and the Vale does to the map.
Map

8. Daenerys........umm ok... so she now has dragons. Three dragons....baby dragons...but dragons.....ok....

But seriously has Daenerys gained any draconic powers? I ask because:

a. Her child was born with draconic features - scales, wings etc.
b. She is apparently fire-proof

If so, is this because of Targareyen blood and some hidden magical talent, or is this a fallout of the magic ritual attempted on Drogo?
I can't remember if this is a RAFO or a WAFO.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Tywin seems to finally see some value in Tyrion. Hm. But reigning in Joffrey won't be easy. Is Tyrions girlfriend more than she seems? She seems to be a bit secretive about her past.

This post has been edited by acesn8s: 09 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#65 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 09 September 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

A Night's Watch member supposedly gives up all ties and succession. They're not supposed to marry or interfere with the realm at all.

The strictness of this has been surprisingly well enforced over the long centuries and the noble exiles to the wall have mostly done well by their oaths. The wall is staffed by people more competent than the simple mental image off castoffs and dregs of society would imply.

I theorize this is because the unmanageable evil and stupid mostly manage to die instead of being shipped out there. The Mountain and a few others belie this theory, but it's holding up well even now.

The Mountain? I thought he was a Knight? How is he part of the Nights Watch?

I must say given the scheming and ambitious nature of the nobility I find this interesting

The Mountain is minor nobility and unmanageable evil, not part of the Night's Watch. Nobody can truly rein him in, so Tywin bought him off and points him towards his enemies.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#66 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostGarak, on 09 September 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I should've realised that....

#67 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Are you going to read bk1 now?

I am seriously considering that. I am hazy on so many details, I think the books will provide more texture.

#68 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 09 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Season 1, Episode 10.

WTF. Just that. WTF

All questions. Just so many questions

1. I have a bad feeling about the Nights Watch's expedition. Whatever is happening beyond the wall, it has to be on a pretty large scale, right?
Life is what happens when you're busy trying to seize the throne...

2. Arya goes to the Wall, but how long does her guardian think her boy disguise is going to hold? He does understand basic biology, right? And once she reaches the wall she can't even run. her best hope seems to be to clear out somewhere in the middle.

The route to the Wall will take the group right past Winterfell. Yoren is planning on dropping Ary off at Winterfell (or with any reliable Stark vassals he comes across.

3. Joffrey is a sadist. Why am I not surprised? What an awesome king. A spoilt brat sadist. This was Tywins big plan?

I think he underestimated just how bratty Joff is.

4. Is Cersei now sleeping with the younger Lannister boy, Roberts ex-page? How come the Lannisters rampant incest hasn't come back to bite them with a huge number of birth defects? I mean except Tyrion, whose dwarfism is probably attributed to this?

Cersei wants Jamie and Lancel is a stunt cock. That's about it for the Lannister incest.

5. The High Maester/arch Maester.... whatever is way more spry than he looks. Is he one of those loyal to the throne, not the king chaps?

WAFO

6. Was Sansa thinking of a murder-suicide?

Yup

7. So the big strategy of the Starks is secession? How is this going to win them allies? Any future king who agrees to the secession of the NOrth will look weak.
Check out the map of Westeros and see what an alliance of The North, Riverlands, and the Vale does to the map.
Map

8. Daenerys........umm ok... so she now has dragons. Three dragons....baby dragons...but dragons.....ok....

But seriously has Daenerys gained any draconic powers? I ask because:

a. Her child was born with draconic features - scales, wings etc.
b. She is apparently fire-proof

If so, is this because of Targareyen blood and some hidden magical talent, or is this a fallout of the magic ritual attempted on Drogo?
I can't remember if this is a RAFO or a WAFO.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Tywin seems to finally see some value in Tyrion. Hm. But reigning in Joffrey won't be easy. Is Tyrions girlfriend more than she seems? She seems to be a bit secretive about her past.

Thanks for the answers!

Now, regarding the map, yes its immediately evident that the North, the Vale and Riverrun would dominate. They would cut the Lannisters off from Kings Landing, and be in a posittion to control the capital and either join with or fight the Baratheons. But thats not my point.

If Rob proclaims himslef King in the North, Vale and Riverrun, by allying with him are essentially submitting to a huge compromise. If the win, the North becomes an independent country/realm while the new king in the South would be King of the 6 kingdoms. Would anybody accept this big a compromise? Because then Rob would be an equal a fellow monarch, not a high feudatory. And to the other Lords he would be their superior.

Also would Vale even fight? Catelyn's sister has gone over the edge and seems stuck on defence.

#69 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostNevyn, on 09 September 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Not many questions that can be answered among those, except a Dany one about the fire

Remember what she said when they killed her brother? "He wasn't a dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon"

Yes, I took it to be a nod towards the fact that the Targaryens at one point controlled dragons. So does this mean Targaryens have draconic powers? And Viserys didn't have them? But Daenerys does?

#70 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thing I forgot to ask - Just what is the deal with Bran's dreams about the three-eyed crow? Is it jsut a portent of Eddards death? Why does the crow have three eyes?

#71 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostGarak, on 09 September 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

why you all always have to suck the fun?
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#72 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Thing I forgot to ask - Just what is the deal with Bran's dreams about the three-eyed crow? Is it jsut a portent of Eddards death? Why does the crow have three eyes?

Another RAFO. You really might consider starting to read the books first. I still think you get more spoiler-free enjoyment from books before tv, and a lot of the confusion you have would be alleviated. The tv series holds its own and has mostly done so for the bulk of book readers, as it started way after the first books anyway.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#73 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

Thanks for the answers!

Now, regarding the map, yes its immediately evident that the North, the Vale and Riverrun would dominate. They would cut the Lannisters off from Kings Landing, and be in a posittion to control the capital and either join with or fight the Baratheons. But thats not my point.

If Rob proclaims himslef King in the North, Vale and Riverrun, by allying with him are essentially submitting to a huge compromise. If the win, the North becomes an independent country/realm while the new king in the South would be King of the 6 kingdoms. Would anybody accept this big a compromise? Because then Rob would be an equal a fellow monarch, not a high feudatory. And to the other Lords he would be their superior.

Also would Vale even fight? Catelyn's sister has gone over the edge and seems stuck on defence.

Robert Baratheon was once a 'high feudatory' that got elevated above all the others too. Funny things happen when revolutions starts.

And remember that Westeros was once 7 kingdoms and the north had their own monarchy (the Starks). Most of the lesser noble houses are far more loyal to that line that to any high king. Riverrun and the Vale are more problematic, but just as with Robert, they can become allies in common cause, and then at the end of the day you gotta kneel to somebody.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#74 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

View Postworry, on 03 September 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

It's Japan.

I would like to hire worrywort to handle all my phone calls here at work, I think he has a knack for answering questions
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

If you don't want to read the book yet, every DVD release of the show has included very nice animated segments covering lore, culture, religion, and backstory. For instance Season 1 has a full hour:

I don't necessarily recommend it since you're going to read the books anyway, but you might as well know it exists.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#76 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:47 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Read, read, read!!

View PostGorefest, on 09 September 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Another RAFO. You really might consider starting to read the books first. I still think you get more spoiler-free enjoyment from books before tv, and a lot of the confusion you have would be alleviated. The tv series holds its own and has mostly done so for the bulk of book readers, as it started way after the first books anyway.

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Are you going to read bk1 now?

I am seriously considering that. I am hazy on so many details, I think the books will provide more texture.

DOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

I think I am going t read. I am vague on ay too amny issues like the names of minor characters and the nature of the world.

Some people have told me that books 4 and 5 are very slow and irritating. Is this the case? I was considering reading the first three books and then stopping to decide.

#77 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Books 4 and 5 are slow and imbalanced, but have plenty of great material. They're irritating to people who want resolution at the cost of all else.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#78 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:55 AM

View Postworry, on 10 September 2015 - 12:15 AM, said:

If you don't want to read the book yet, every DVD release of the show has included very nice animated segments covering lore, culture, religion, and backstory. For instance Season 1 has a full hour:

I don't necessarily recommend it since you're going to read the books anyway, but you might as well know it exists.

I know about these, but I didn't touch them due to fear of Spoilers. Anyway I like figuring out the backstory from books

#79 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

View PostAndorion, on 10 September 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

I think I am going t read. I am vague on ay too amny issues like the names of minor characters and the nature of the world.

Some people have told me that books 4 and 5 are very slow and irritating. Is this the case? I was considering reading the first three books and then stopping to decide.

Books 4 and 5 suffer due to story sprawl. Too many threads GRRM wanted to develop and pieces he wanted to move into place. The writing is all fine, but he sort of surrended novel structure in the name of his larger story.

#80 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostAndorion, on 09 September 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yes, I took it to be a nod towards the fact that the Targaryens at one point controlled dragons. So does this mean Targaryens have draconic powers? And Viserys didn't have them? But Daenerys does?

There's some debate about this but Targaryens in general are not immune to fire. There was magic involved in the end of E10.

WAFO/RAFO

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users