Malazan Empire: Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF Gradual Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

1. Bran's dreams are followed up on.

2. You could say Children of the Forest are Elf analogues, just not Tolkien style Elves.

3. By Jove!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#102 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

OK finished the Tourney and now in the middle of Ned trying to dissuade Robert from sending assassins after Dany.

1. Yeah the Tourney was really cool. Exceedingly so in fact. I loved the fight descriptions especially the Flower vs the Mountain, the Mountain vs the Hound. This part they got exactly right in the show. But why didn't they include the giy with a literal flaming sword? That would have been awesome!

2. Tyrions skirmish with the bandits and his general thoughts are so interesting to read. He might be one of the best characters I have read.

3. In the show Arya hears Varys speaking to Illyrio in the dungeons. Here its a guy in a metal cap. Who is this? Should I know him?

4. Its interesting the way Renley is shown here, a member of the kingsguard, a handsome warrior, he is very far from the rather effeminate Renley of the show

Now I really want to meet Tywin. The book is great at fleshing things out and I want to read how Martin depicts him

Regarding eyes : Purple eyes would have been seriously creepy especially after the Whitewalker had blue eyes.

#103 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostAndorion, on 12 September 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

OK finished the Tourney and now in the middle of Ned trying to dissuade Robert from sending assassins after Dany.

1. Yeah the Tourney was really cool. Exceedingly so in fact. I loved the fight descriptions especially the Flower vs the Mountain, the Mountain vs the Hound. This part they got exactly right in the show. But why didn't they include the giy with a literal flaming sword? That would have been awesome!

2. Tyrions skirmish with the bandits and his general thoughts are so interesting to read. He might be one of the best characters I have read.

3. In the show Arya hears Varys speaking to Illyrio in the dungeons. Here its a guy in a metal cap. Who is this? Should I know him?

4. Its interesting the way Renley is shown here, a member of the kingsguard, a handsome warrior, he is very far from the rather effeminate Renley of the show

Now I really want to meet Tywin. The book is great at fleshing things out and I want to read how Martin depicts him

Regarding eyes : Purple eyes would have been seriously creepy especially after the Whitewalker had blue eyes.

1. Thoros of Myr shows up later in the show.
3. Man in the cap is Varys, I didn't pick up who that was until a re-read. The show hits you with a clue x 4.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#104 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:37 AM

Finished the book.

Not much to say as the last parts tallied quite closely with the show.

The Stark decision to be King in the North makes a lot more sense in the book once all th eoptions are lined out clearly.

The strategic dilemna Tywin finds himself in is a lot clearer in the book especially if you tally place names with the map.

I do have a few questions though:

1. The gay relationship between Loras Tyrell and Renly in the show finds no space in the book. Does it exist?

2. When the raven carrying the news of Eddards death arrived at Winterfell the direwolves began howling in advance. How could they sense anything regarding the letter?

3. Also regarding direwolves, when Sansa's letter reaches Robb, he comments on how there is no mention of Arya. Bran comments that Sansa lost her wolf. Are the direwolves symbolic? Losing a direwolf means you lose your identity as a Stark? Then what of Arya who had to send her wolf away to protect her?

4. Do we ever see Asshai by the shadow?

5. I am quite curious about the southernmost kingdom of Dorne. It seems they, like the North were also independent kings, never defeated by Aegon and they joined by treaty. So can they just leave, like the North?

Edit: Forgot to add, I love the book. I am giving it 5 stars on Goodreads. Thing is if I keep on reading I am sure I won't be able to see the show anymore. So now I have to concentrate on the show

This post has been edited by Andorion: 14 September 2015 - 01:39 AM

#105 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:54 AM

1) It's there.
2) Magic.
3) The wolves represent (American) football players. Sansa's wolf is Tebow.
4) Only in the dark.
5) The North can't just leave, nor can Dorne.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#106 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 September 2015 - 02:39 AM, said:

Renley was one of the bigger miscast from books to show I thought.

Yes, in the show he was this effeminate guy while in the book he likes glamour but is still quite martial

#107 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

1. The gay relationship between Loras Tyrell and Renly in the show finds no space in the book. Does it exist?

It's more obvious in the later books.

2. When the raven carrying the news of Eddards death arrived at Winterfell the direwolves began howling in advance. How could they sense anything regarding the letter?

Magic is awakening, at least that's the sense I have.

3. Also regarding direwolves, when Sansa's letter reaches Robb, he comments on how there is no mention of Arya. Bran comments that Sansa lost her wolf. Are the direwolves symbolic? Losing a direwolf means you lose your identity as a Stark? Then what of Arya who had to send her wolf away to protect her?

The wolves do seem to bonded to the kids. RAFO.

I don't remember. Characters and objects from there, yes.

5. I am quite curious about the southernmost kingdom of Dorne. It seems they, like the North were also independent kings, never defeated by Aegon and they joined by treaty. So can they just leave, like the North?

The Kingdom of the North knelt to Aegon back in the day, the Dornish never did. The Targaryens ended up treating with the Dornish during the war of conquest. The Martell's are the only great house, besides the King, that are allowed to use the title Prince (e.g., Prince Martell vs Lord Stark).
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#108 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 14 September 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's more obvious in the later books.

Magic is awakening, at least that's the sense I have.

The wolves do seem to bonded to the kids. RAFO.

I don't remember. Characters and objects from there, yes.

The Kingdom of the North knelt to Aegon back in the day, the Dornish never did. The Targaryens ended up treating with the Dornish during the war of conquest. The Martell's are the only great house, besides the King, that are allowed to use the title Prince (e.g., Prince Martell vs Lord Stark).

So this makes the likelihood of a Dornish secession high right? I mean they could just opt out of the wat and go back to being an independent kingdom. They don't really have any ties of loyalty.

#109 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 September 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

So this makes the likelihood of a Dornish secession high right? I mean they could just opt out of the wat and go back to being an independent kingdom. They don't really have any ties of loyalty.

One of those cases where you may be right for the wrong reasons.

Really, any of the high families has a high chance of seceding, as long as the right conditions are met (animosity with the ruling family, something in it for them, not recognizing the rightful claim, ambition). And remember that this is the first succession in the Baratheon dynasty. The Targaryens were well established and it took a lot of Mad King-ing to incite a revolt. But no one is necessarily used to the Baratheons being in charge, and there is potential for multiple claims within the Baratheons.

However, Dorne is a strategically difficult place to conquer with its own traditions and view of things. So it is true that while other families may be compelled to 'pick a side', Dorne does have more of an option to simply stay out of the whole mess. Will they? Won't they? What history do they have with the other high houses? I guess you'll just have to keep reading.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#110 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

Game of Thrones, Season 2, Episodes 1 and 2.

1. Dany is in trouble and needs to get out of the desert.

2. Bran's dreams continue to make no sense.

3. Robb's idea of sending Greyjoy to get ships is going to crash and burn. He is a hostage, his father is not an ally. They forgot this.

4. I don't get why the Nights Watch are giving the time of the day to the polygamous, incestuous old chap. Also did he give his son to a White walker, or was that a wildling

5. Tyrion is rocking it, establishing authority, taking control, but I find it alarming that no one has any control over Joffrey. That kid is enough to make Tywin Lannister cry

6. Petyr overstepped. Huh. I sense some shifting of allegiances coming from that quarter. Varys on the ither hand seems relatively unruffled.

7. The storyline that is completely baffling me is Stannis. I get that he is stuck in Dragonstone, he has a small army, Renly for some reason has the majority Baratheon support. So who is the crazy woman who keeps setting things on fire.? How did the old guy die? And what is Stannis planning? With a small army even if he takes Kings Landing he can't hold it.

Edit: Forgot to add: Eddard Stark Discovery of the incest-bastardy issue. He included that in the letter he wrote to Stannis asking him to take the throne. In th ebook it is mentioned that the messenger was caught and killed. In the show the message apparently got through as Stannis mentions this letter and how he is going to pass it on to everybody. Isn't this a rather major difference between the book and the show? How are they going to reconcile this?

This post has been edited by Andorion: 14 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

#111 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 September 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

2. Bran's dreams continue to make no sense.

3. Robb's idea of sending Greyjoy to get ships is going to crash and burn. He is a hostage, his father is not an ally. They forgot this.

4. I don't get why the Nights Watch are giving the time of the day to the polygamous, incestuous old chap. Also did he give his son to a White walker, or was that a wildling

5. Tyrion is rocking it, establishing authority, taking control, but I find it alarming that no one has any control over Joffrey. That kid is enough to make Tywin Lannister cry

6. Petyr overstepped. Huh. I sense some shifting of allegiances coming from that quarter. Varys on the ither hand seems relatively unruffled.

7. The storyline that is completely baffling me is Stannis. I get that he is stuck in Dragonstone, he has a small army, Renly for some reason has the majority Baratheon support. So who is the crazy woman who keeps setting things on fire.? How did the old guy die? And what is Stannis planning? With a small army even if he takes Kings Landing he can't hold it.

The night's watch put up with Craster because the area north of the wall is cold and dangerous and they need to send out rangers, and it is handy to have a place to shelter. It is an uneasy alliance. Also, craster never tries to pass the wall or raid, so while he is despicable, he is not really an enemy.

Craster gave his kid to a Walker.

The Stannis thing I will leave as WAFO. Ask again if it does not make sense by the end of the season.

Bran's dreams are one of those things that it is really tough to meaningfully render on TV. The books do a better job, but also, you really aren't meant to understand them much yet. After all, Bran doesn't understand them yet.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 14 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#112 User is offline   Zerv 

• Corporal

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

Edit: Forgot to add: Eddard Stark Discovery of the incest-bastardy issue. He included that in the letter he wrote to Stannis asking him to take the throne. In th ebook it is mentioned that the messenger was caught and killed. In the show the message apparently got through as Stannis mentions this letter and how he is going to pass it on to everybody. Isn't this a rather major difference between the book and the show? How are they going to reconcile this?

Maester Cressen ("the old guy") died because the wine was poisoned. He poisoned it himself. This is made clearer in the book, but basically he attempts to kill Melisandre (that would be "the crazy woman who keeps setting things on fire".) and is evidently so dedicated to this task that he is willing to drink the poisoned wine himself in order to make sure that she does too. So, a better question would be "why didn't Melisandre die?".

As for the letter, as you may remember Stannis actually figured out the whole incest thing together with Jon Arryn in the books, so he hardly needed Ned to tell him . This is the reason why Stannis is squatting on Dragonstone throughout the events in the first book rather than occupying his seat on the small council: after Jon Arryn was murdered he figured he would be next. The rest of your questions are WAFO/RAFO territory, I believe.

#113 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:56 AM

View PostZerv, on 14 September 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

Maester Cressen ("the old guy") died because the wine was poisoned. He poisoned it himself. This is made clearer in the book, but basically he attempts to kill Melisandre (that would be "the crazy woman who keeps setting things on fire".) and is evidently so dedicated to this task that he is willing to drink the poisoned wine himself in order to make sure that she does too. So, a better question would be "why didn't Melisandre die?".

As for the letter, as you may remember Stannis actually figured out the whole incest thing together with Jon Arryn in the books, so he hardly needed Ned to tell him . This is the reason why Stannis is squatting on Dragonstone throughout the events in the first book rather than occupying his seat on the small council: after Jon Arryn was murdered he figured he would be next. The rest of your questions are WAFO/RAFO territory, I believe.

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

Yep the Cressen in show plot would be a bit confusing for non readers. You have been introduced to a very cool set of new characters in S/B 2. I think you ll enjoy the new ones.

I got that Kressen was trying to poison her. I thought the poison was only in her glass and it had been switched. I didn't understand it was a suicide mission. So if she withstood the poison, she has some type of power, right?

#114 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, it is a basically just a shortcut to save screen time. And make Sean Bean slightly less useless n the end.

#115 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

Another option is that she regularly poisons herself to build up a tolerance which is a very common useful thing to do for people with her type of role.

Inconceivable!

#116 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

Yep the Cressen in show plot would be a bit confusing for non readers. You have been introduced to a very cool set of new characters in S/B 2. I think you ll enjoy the new ones.

I got that Kressen was trying to poison her. I thought the poison was only in her glass and it had been switched. I didn't understand it was a suicide mission. So if she withstood the poison, she has some type of power, right?

Well, she is from Asshai afterall... :harhar:

#117 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 15 September 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

Well, she is from Asshai afterall... :harhar:

Why can't I get any info about Ashai at all??Posted Image

#118 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Melisandre is from there. That is info. You are now up to date.

#119 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 15 September 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

Another option is that she regularly poisons herself to build up a tolerance which is a very common useful thing to do for people with her type of role.

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word...

(Sorry, someone had to do it)
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#120 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostNevyn, on 15 September 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Melisandre is from there. That is info. You are now up to date.

We never get to see that place, do we?

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users