Malazan Empire: Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »

Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF Gradual Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostNevyn, on 04 September 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 04 September 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Episode 4

Questions

1. Is the Hound allied with the Lannisters or against them? I would say with them. Same goes for the Mountain
2. Joffrey has siblings, right? I saw some kids on the kings platform.
3. That Grand Maester. I keep on thinking he is going to die. But is he playing a game too?
4. Is Theon Greyjoy a hostage? I thought he was adopted. It seems now that the Greyjoys fought against the Starks and the Lannisters

BTW if I am getting the names wrong, please correct me.

1) The Hound is Joffrey's bodyguard. The brothers are of a lesser noble house that owes fealty to the Lannisters.
2) Yes, Myrcella and Tommen
3) no comment
4) Yes, Theon is a hostage. His father attempted a rebellion against Robert, was defeated, and gave his son to the Starks as hostage for his good behaviour. As in the Malazan books with the Tiste, a hostage is treated like family/guest, and Theon has been with the Starks since he was a child.

I think Theon maybe rather bitter about his fathers defeat.

#22 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

Seem as you mention it up thread I want to know what you think is wrong with Harry Potter films 4 and 5. Stand alone they are brilliant!

I've read this whole thread so far and I'm enjoying it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

Episode 5
(i am watching them every chance I get)

Well Starks in trouble now. His wife clearly did not think ahead. In fact his entire position is weak to crumbling. He has no significant force with him, the King hates him, and his daughters are vulnerable. The Lannisters have an overt motive to attack him.

Lady Starks sister (Didn't catch her name) is... disturbing? Crazy? Her plan is literally falling apart.

Varys seems to be in with the Targaryens. his provoking Robert regarding the assassin is probably a ruse. If the Khal captured an assassin who was trying to kill his wife and son, he would have a solid casus belli. This capture could also be ensured by Varys.

I am still not sure why the bastards are important. They can't inherit. They have no claim whatsoever. If anything happens to Joffrey then the crown would pass to his younger brother, or to Robert's brothers, am I correct?

The sideplot with the Knight of the Flowers (what a name, and what ridiculous armour) and Renley.... I doubt if anything will come of that.

The Mountain has an anger management problem. Who would have guessed.

I really liked Roberts conversation with Cersei. For me this is his big moment. He has a realistic appraisal of the military capabilities of Westeros vs the Dothraki, though that hypothetical war is predicated on the Dothraki actually crossing the Narrow Sea. But Robert and Cersei were so disarmingly frank together. More communication between them and who knows, it might have turned out differently.

So I guess Stark is either going to have to come up with a plan, which he doesn't seem particularly good at.

Could somebody clear up the line of succession for me?

Robert - Joffrey - Tommen - Roberts brother (Stannis I think) - Renley?

If so, why are the bastards important?

#24 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 04 September 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

Seem as you mention it up thread I want to know what you think is wrong with Harry Potter films 4 and 5. Stand alone they are brilliant!

I've read this whole thread so far and I'm enjoying it.

Lets see...

HP 1 was brilliant. They got a lot of things right, HP 2 was good too.

For me everything started going wrong from HP 3 when Harrys Patronus was basically a white luminous circle. His patronus was a stag. he could produce a clearly articulated animal form at a very young age. This is an ultra important part of the narrative. And they altered it. I was disgusted.

HP 4 I stopped watching the minute the Beuxbatons and Durmstrang lot made their entry as essentially circus acrobats and ballet artists.

My main issue is with the way the books were adapted. Important, intrinsic details were cut out or changed. The director took every opportunity to depict them wearing normal clothes. They wear robes all the time. That is standard wizard wear.

I think many steps were taken to glamourise or jazz up the books. The chair for the accused at the Wizengamot, the Hungarian Horntail challenge...

I saw 6 because I liked the look of the previews and I loved 7 were due to a 2 part film they could concentrate on the details.

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Your question gets answered.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

View Postworry, on 04 September 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Your question gets answered.

So RAFO, or rather WAFO?

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Yah. Season 1 is like one big Miss Marple mystery.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 September 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Robert - Joffrey - Tommen - Roberts brother (Stannis I think) - Renley?

Yes

If so, why are the bastards important?

WAFO
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#29 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostKing Briar, on 05 September 2015 - 03:53 AM, said:

Who's your fav?

Character? Hard to say. I like Arya and Daenerys, but some of the acting has been exceptional, and acting wise, it's Tyrion and Cersei

#30 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

I knew it was you on Westeros! :p

Anyway, keep it up. I've always liked reading threads/blogs (And talking with friends) about the thoughts of someone who is experiencing a series I like for the first time.

#31 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 06 September 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Anyway, keep it up. I've always liked reading threads/blogs (And talking with friends) about the thoughts of someone who is experiencing a series I like for the first time.

yes initially I wanted two threads, one in Westeros, one here, but the structure of Westeros is not conducive to the kind of thread I had in mind. Its very compartmentalized there.

I aim to make this an integrated thread for episodes and books. Hope you enjoy!

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Season 1 Episode 6

1. Tyrion rocked this one. He managed to get out of a desperate situation, though it was a gamble. he has no way of knowing that his champion would win.

2. The Lannisters are making their move - brigandry to agitate the populace, draw forces out, and then strike from within?

3. A rift is developing between Greyjoy and Rob Stark. Not good.

4. Daenerys seems tobe really getting into her role as Khalisi, and Viserys finally adn predictably gets killed, thoug hin a rather more picturesque way than I had assumed.

5. Robert goes off hunting with one old guard, his brother whom he constantly abuses and the lannister page whom he constantly abuses? Bit stupid? But then again it would be a bit difficult to find anybody whom he does not abuse.

6. This whole Mountain scenario is too pat for my liking. Ned Stark shouldn't have gone all the way. he should have ordered punitive raids and a punishment to be awarded when the Mountains identity would be confirmed.

7. Joffrey has Sansa in his pocket. I think the difference between the two sisters is best summarised when Stark orders them back to Winterfell. Sansa's first reaction is about herself and Joffrey, Arya thinks her father is dying.

Doubts

1. That gold melted really fast. That campfire had to be abnormally hot. Honestly it was more butter and less gold.

2. I find it rather unlikely that the king would go hunting on foot and not on horseback

3. While Robert was carrying a boarspear his brother wasn't. A bit strange that.

4. The Night Watch man who came with Tyrion - was he the one who warned Stark in episode 5? If so who was the champion? I am confused.

#33 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostAndorion, on 06 September 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostEsa1996, on 06 September 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

yes initially I wanted two threads, one in Westeros, one here, but the structure of Westeros is not conducive to the kind of thread I had in mind. Its very compartmentalized there.

I aim to make this an integrated thread for episodes and books. Hope you enjoy!

Yeah there's a lot of rules on Westeros.org. They also close threads after 400 posts so you would have needed to do multiple parts (possibly at least) to complete the commentary.

#34 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostAndorion, on 06 September 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Season 1 Episode 6

1. Tyrion rocked this one. He managed to get out of a desperate situation, though it was a gamble. he has no way of knowing that his champion would win.

2. The Lannisters are making their move - brigandry to agitate the populace, draw forces out, and then strike from within?

3. A rift is developing between Greyjoy and Rob Stark. Not good.

4. Daenerys seems tobe really getting into her role as Khalisi, and Viserys finally adn predictably gets killed, thoug hin a rather more picturesque way than I had assumed.

5. Robert goes off hunting with one old guard, his brother whom he constantly abuses and the lannister page whom he constantly abuses? Bit stupid? But then again it would be a bit difficult to find anybody whom he does not abuse.

6. This whole Mountain scenario is too pat for my liking. Ned Stark shouldn't have gone all the way. he should have ordered punitive raids and a punishment to be awarded when the Mountains identity would be confirmed.

7. Joffrey has Sansa in his pocket. I think the difference between the two sisters is best summarised when Stark orders them back to Winterfell. Sansa's first reaction is about herself and Joffrey, Arya thinks her father is dying.

Doubts

1. That gold melted really fast. That campfire had to be abnormally hot. Honestly it was more butter and less gold.

2. I find it rather unlikely that the king would go hunting on foot and not on horseback

3. While Robert was carrying a boarspear his brother wasn't. A bit strange that.

4. The Night Watch man who came with Tyrion - was he the one who warned Stark in episode 5? If so who was the champion? I am confused.

1. Probably a mistake by the show creators.

2. He might have had a horse somewhere, but perhaps they were getting close to where said boar was assumed to be so they dismounted. It's not explained really IIRC.

3. Another mistake I guess.

4. Yoren came with Tyrion until Catelyn took him away. He then continued south to King's Landing. Bronn is one of the sellswords who joined Catelyn when she arrested Tyrion in the hopes of gold.

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

4. Yoren came with Tyrion until Catelyn took him away. He then continued south to King's Landing. Bronn is one of the sellswords who joined Catelyn when she arrested Tyrion in the hopes of gold.

And this is the main problem regarding show vs books. In the book I would have managed to keep the names straight.

#36 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 September 2015 - 01:36 AM, said:

Stay away from that board till your done.

I plan to. Finish everything, then go and join in the general discussions there. They seem to be pretty careful about Spoilers though.

I forgot to mention one thing.

Why is Stark freaking out about hair colour? The Lannisters are all very blond. Blond is clearly a dominant gene there. In a marriage with a daek Robert a blond kid should not have been a surprise.

#37 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Season 1 Episode 7

Stark is in sooo much trouble

1. I was right about Varys provoking the Dothraki into a war through a failed assasination attempt. Jorah was the man on the spot to prevent it.

2. Snow's story is getting interesting.

3. Eddard Stark: The dumb things he did: First he should have got Roberts will witnessed, Second he should have never confronted Cersei about the incest and illegitimacy thing. Third if he had wanted stannis as king he should have made his move faster. Fourth, He should have never trusted Littlefinger.

4. Tywin Lannisters intro Why was he skinning and gutting a deer? Some kind of metaphor for Robert? I just wouldn't have thought that the head of house Lannister would have liked to get his hands dirty.

5. The minute Robert got gored Stark should have understood the situationw as unsalvageable and left for the North. His honour doomed him

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostAndorion, on 07 September 2015 - 01:55 AM, said:

Why is Stark freaking out about hair colour? The Lannisters are all very blond. Blond is clearly a dominant gene there. In a marriage with a daek Robert a blond kid should not have been a surprise.

Blonde hair gene is recessive there as it is here in the real world.

Robert's dark hair "should" have come out over the Lannister blonde - which means the kids are "undoubtedly" Jaime + Cersei's.

As for Tywin butchering the deer, it's to show that he's very good at doing savage things himself in the service of a higher plan, which he's also good at making. Also, it showcases his lack of sensitivity towards his own.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#39 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:18 AM

View Postamphibian, on 07 September 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Robert's dark hair "should" have come out over the Lannister blonde - which means the kids are "undoubtedly" Jaime + Cersei's.

As for Tywin butchering the deer, it's to show that he's very good at doing savage things himself in the service of a higher plan, which he's also good at making. Also, it showcases his lack of sensitivity towards his own.

What I don't get is why doesn't Tywin straight up take the throne? The king is dead, the Lannisters are the one with a huge army in the field. His allies hold the capital,....either be the king, or put Jaime on the throne. Why use Joffrey who is an idiot and needs to have his hand held?

Also, yesterday I decided that I need to get some good long-cord headphones for my PC. There is simnply no way I can watch GoT without them. There was that scene, when the two courtesans were 'training' with each other and Littlefingers was waxing eloquent about his love for Catelyn....if I want to hear the dialogue I need the volume at a decent level, only that brings up more,,,,, diverse sound effects as well. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Andorion: 08 September 2015 - 02:18 AM

#40 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostAndorion, on 08 September 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 07 September 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

What I don't get is why doesn't Tywin straight up take the throne? The king is dead, the Lannisters are the one with a huge army in the field. His allies hold the capital,....either be the king, or put Jaime on the throne. Why use Joffrey who is an idiot and needs to have his hand held?

Also, yesterday I decided that I need to get some good long-cord headphones for my PC. There is simnply no way I can watch GoT without them. There was that scene, when the two courtesans were 'training' with each other and Littlefingers was waxing eloquent about his love for Catelyn....if I want to hear the dialogue I need the volume at a decent level, only that brings up more,,,,, diverse sound effects as well. Posted Image

The other Great Houses wouldn't like Tywin taking the throne as he has no claim to it. They would see it as another usurpation and might declare war against him.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users