Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#341 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:25 PM

View PostDadding, on 27 November 2021 - 06:33 PM, said:

My girlfriend has twigged pretty quickly who the Dragon Reborn is, I'm not confirming her guess until the show does. She's terrible with names though and has started calling them: Moody (Perrin), Ginger (Rand), Evil (Mat), the one who gets shit done (Nynaeve), and the other one (Egwene).

:rofl:

I thought the deviation from the books in episode 4 was really well done, but I'm not a die-hard fan and didn't even really like the books so that was never going to bother me. Seeing some of the comments on Dragonmount in reply to Wert's review was really eye-opening in terms of rabid super-critical fan base, but everyone I've talked to IRL has been enjoying it.

This I'd like to see. Linky please?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#342 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:17 PM

I'm watching it, and the first three were okay but the 4th episode it's really coming into it's stride. It's been a long time since I read the books but it definitely seems to have captured the spirit of them.

#343 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:44 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 November 2021 - 09:25 PM, said:

I thought the deviation from the books in episode 4 was really well done, but I'm not a die-hard fan and didn't even really like the books so that was never going to bother me. Seeing some of the comments on Dragonmount in reply to Wert's review was really eye-opening in terms of rabid super-critical fan base, but everyone I've talked to IRL has been enjoying it.

Scroll down for comments

#344 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:46 AM

Hmmm ... comments not as bad as expected. A couple of decent points made for different sides, although a couple of driveby "Blerg"-type comments.
Probably heavily moderated though with people either behaving or shitbanned.

A little more by Wert on "ratings"

https://dragonmount....ts-a-hit-r1246/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 November 2021 - 03:50 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#345 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:51 PM

Yeah a lot of snobbery and that there. I understand some of the gripes but underneath there is very much a tone of "we're the real fans and the creators should do what we each get, forget everyone else!"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#346 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

Episode 2 and I LOVE the concept of the dead city that was very cool. Rosamund Pike utterly nailed the story about the trolloc war story as they were riding.

Yeah I'm liking this show a lot!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#347 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:52 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 November 2021 - 08:39 PM, said:

Episode 2 and I LOVE the concept of the dead city that was very cool. Rosamund Pike utterly nailed the story about the trolloc war story as they were riding.

Yeah I'm liking this show a lot!

It's a concept I've enjoyed in a lot of different fantasy stories, but aside from the speech (which was okay), the execution was cheesy, generic, simplistic, and boring, and the SFX were not great.

Thought episode 3 was an improvement, though it did seem laughable and/or boring in places. Director seems to really like melodramatic close-up of boot stamping on floor and prolonged chase sequences ('are we there yet?'). Planning to give 4 a chance later tonight.

#348 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:20 AM

Episode 4: SFX were a huge improvement, dialogue and acting were good but not great. Plot and pacing were pretty good.

OTOH yet another melodramatic boot-heel close-up. How else could we possibly know somebody's a bad-ass?

Ending was moving, though
Spoiler

#349 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:27 PM

View PostDadding, on 28 November 2021 - 02:44 AM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 27 November 2021 - 09:25 PM, said:

Scroll down for comments

View PostTsundoku, on 28 November 2021 - 03:46 AM, said:

Hmmm ... comments not as bad as expected. A couple of decent points made for different sides, although a couple of driveby "Blerg"-type comments.
Probably heavily moderated though with people either behaving or shitbanned.

A little more by Wert on "ratings"

https://dragonmount....ts-a-hit-r1246/

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 November 2021 - 02:51 PM, said:

Yeah a lot of snobbery and that there. I understand some of the gripes but underneath there is very much a tone of "we're the real fans and the creators should do what we each get, forget everyone else!"

We had some of them here, and some well known members too expressing ire at the very idea that they would dare change things, and adapt other things and ditch yet other things, and twist things for TV vs a book series, and how the tv studios don't make shows for the fanbase, they make it for a much wider audience. The pushback on those notions was pages long on that thread.

This is what most fandoms of most properties don't understand. As a fan of whatever the property is, they aren't trying to get you to watch....you are already going to. They are trying to tap the wider casual and unknown audiences out there like HBO did with GOT. Get the casuals on board and you have a hit. Keep only the "fans" and you have a flop.

This type of stuff is wildly prevalent in Star Wars, Trek, Doctor Who, Witcher, Harry Potter and a lot of other fandoms. Those fandoms really think they are the largest group to court with whatever the content is...and no amount of trying to convince them they aren't will help.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#350 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:55 PM

I've been a little saddened not so much by the purists who think anything short of a word for word copy on screen is sacrilege (although I'll allow if I rolled my eyes at the most extreme of that crowd any harder they'd get stuck), but the number of people still screaming "woke" because of the role of the female characters and the fact they have a multiracial cast.

I follow Daniel Greene on Youtube and his community generally seems pretty decent, but I glanced down on a video today to find a really disgusting discussion of the race and looks of the actress playing Nynaeve. I'm hoping those sorts of people get bored and stop interacting with the show as it goes forward.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 November 2021 - 01:56 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#351 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:59 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 29 November 2021 - 01:55 PM, said:

I've been a little saddened not so much by the purists who think anything short of a word for word copy on screen is sacrilege (although I'll allow if I rolled my eyes at the most extreme of that crowd any harder they'd get stuck), but the number of people still screaming "woke" because of the role of the female characters and the fact they have a multiracial cast.

I follow Daniel Greene on Youtube and his community generally seems pretty decent, but I glanced down on a video today to find a really disgusting discussion of the race and looks of the actress playing Nynaeve. I'm hoping those sorts of people get bored and stop interacting with the show as it goes forward.

How dare you! Everyone knows that having a white, blonde haired blue eyed sexy girl with massive boobs is utterly ESSENTIAL to the entire story!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#352 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:16 PM

Sacrilege! Nynaeve has black hair. No true fan would think she'd need to be blond and blue-eyed. Also, she is - clearly - described in the books as being of slender build, so your big boob comment is an affront to the sensitivities of all the true tWoTs. You philistine.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#353 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:34 PM

I watched Eps 1 and 2 because my sister has Amazon and I stayed with her this weekend. I'm not going to say it was good but I am going to say I mostly enjoyed it and would watch it if I had Amazon. It wasn't good enough to make me get Amazon though. I liked the changes I spotted, they made it more grown up and gritty but they are so blatantly going after the GoT audience with the random Lan in the bath scene! Scandalous.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#354 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:40 PM

Disclaimer: I ain't watching the show at any point. I honestly think they should have more Lan in the bath scenes because that includes the audience who wants that kinda context rather than just boobin' it up for the boobs crowd.

Romance novels keep the publishing industry afloat and it ain't just because there's domestic relationships forming.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#355 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:41 PM

I am all in for boobs too if they wanna go that way too.

Mo fronts, mo butts all around.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#356 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:58 PM

He do have a nice booty tho
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#357 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:38 AM

I finally watched the first four episodes after being worried I would be disappointed, and I’m loving it! I’m not sure how anyone that hasn’t read the books could follow along though. The story is moving along pretty quickly for anyone that doesn’t have a background in it.

I don’t remember Perrin having a wife in the books though…
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#358 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:42 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 30 November 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

I finally watched the first four episodes after being worried I would be disappointed, and I’m loving it! I’m not sure how anyone that hasn’t read the books could follow along though. The story is moving along pretty quickly for anyone that doesn’t have a background in it.

I don’t remember Perrin having a wife in the books though…

Neither my wife or I have read them and it's not massively hard to follow though I imagine there's a lot we're not aware of (e.g. the whole "men can't channel" thing and a lot of the philosophical/religious bits around the Wheel and the various factions of light and dark) but there's enough that it doesn't hinder the story, we just have to assume there's a lot we need to discover.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#359 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:38 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 November 2021 - 08:40 PM, said:

Romance novels keep the publishing industry afloat and it ain't just because there's domestic relationships forming.

This cannot be understated. Apparently the numbers for "enemies to lovers" fantasy are insane according to someone I know who works for corporate Indigo....hell, I got my wife the first Sarah J. Maas Court book on a whim...and she's already on book 2 (my wife barely reads unless she's REALLY into a book series), and has bought her sister the whole set of 5 for Xmas, and is pondering getting them for other people she knows.

So yeah, I think that genre really does keep the industry afloat. Almost the entirety of BookTok in TikTok is romance-flavoured books.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 November 2021 - 01:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#360 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:36 PM

The Wheel to Time, After Dark.
The Wheel of Time, Red Shoe Diaries.

I've heard the comparison is more akin to The Witcher then Game of Thrones (e.g. Geralt bath scenes). Also there was a little bit of a row that started dusting up over which bard song is better between the two shows.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users