Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#321 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 November 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostAvatar, on 24 November 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

I was wondering, did anyone watch Goodkind's Legend of the Seeker, from 2008? I remember that I thought it was terrible. But on imdb, the rating is even higher than WoT, 7,6 vs 7,4. Was it not so bad?

I watched it. It was bad, but it also was absolutely leaning into the Xena/Hercules vibe (made by the very same people in fact, including the composer from those shows Joseph LoDuca), and had scantily clad women in it to lure young people to watch. It wasn't a prestige show trying to be a serious fantasy adaptation. It knew it was a bad show and rolled about in the muck as a result.

Like watch this scene, both women have their cleavage out for titilation reasons.

So yeah, I can see why it has a higher rating simply because it was not trying to be more than the fantasy beef/cheesecake it was.

Hell yeah, that scene is exactly as bad as I remember this series was 😄

There must be an audience for it, enough to vote it upwards on imdb though... there are other reviews of LotS that are not so positive.

Well, I'm glad WoT is better than this, so far.

#322 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:06 PM

My god LotS is so bad 😂😂

Let's not confuse up votes with quality, that's the rabid fanbase, who want to watch some Lorno

#323 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:39 AM

It certainly won't change the mind of anyone who is already "out", but those on the fence I definitely recommend to give it until episode 4.

I'm ten minutes out from watching it and I'm still a bit dumbstruck by it. CGI again not perfect, but some beautiful character work throughout and the build up of the last fifteen minutes of the episode really left me quite breathless.

They are also riding HARD on keeping up the misdirection of who the Dragon Reborn is. They are I think dropping enough subtle hints in amongst the deliberate red herrings that I think once revealed, the jigsaw pieces will be apparent. It obviously isn't working on me because I've read the books, but I'm looking forward to Mr Not a Blacksmith watching it as I would love to hear a non-book reader take on that episode particularly.

I'm very impressed!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#324 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:55 AM

I whole-heartedly second TRB's opinion. I knew I would look at the show with rose-tinted glassed because of how much I love WOT but episode 4 was impressive in both its character work and its world-building. It had almost no scene from the books but reflected the series perfectly.

Also Nynaeve is perfect.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#325 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:00 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 26 November 2021 - 07:55 AM, said:

Also Nynaeve is perfect.

Isn't she just? Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#326 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:27 AM

Agreed, the fourth episode was easily the best yet. Reminded me of GAME OF THRONES's first season when the first three episodes were promising but inconsistent and then the fourth blew it up with a lot of well-handled exposition culminating in a major, dramatically intense cliffhanger.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Werthead: 26 November 2021 - 10:39 AM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#327 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:05 PM

You guys have me sold tbh I think I'll start this soon. I trust TRB's judgement on most things (#HildandBeocca4lyfe) so I'm willing to keep going even if I find it poor.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#328 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:11 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 November 2021 - 12:05 PM, said:

I trust TRB's judgement on most things (#HildandBeocca4lyfe) so I'm willing to keep going even if I find it poor.

I feel like imparting the joys of Hild and Beocca are my chief contribution to bettering the world. Probably not doing much more worthwhile Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#329 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:17 PM

1.75 episodes in...

I'm entertained. What will really be the point of no return for me, is in a hard and heavy usage of the one power battle scene. It MUST look decent or else the whole show just won't work.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#330 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:35 PM

I'm enjoying the wife's speculation on who the dragon is, looking forward to ep 4 tonight after TRB's hype.
no pressure!

#331 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 November 2021 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm enjoying the wife's speculation on who the dragon is, looking forward to ep 4 tonight after TRB's hype.
no pressure!

Huh, this is totally an added feature I hadn't thought about when my wife and I eventually watch. She'll be guessing as well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#332 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:53 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 November 2021 - 05:35 PM, said:

no pressure!

If you hate it I will definitely hide, then return only when armed with distracting book recommendations Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#333 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:21 PM

Where are these minisodes? Are they the delve deeper things?

#334 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:35 AM

View PostMacros, on 26 November 2021 - 10:21 PM, said:

Where are these minisodes? Are they the delve deeper things?

Yup. They're on the special features, but accessing them is weird. You have to start the episode, pause it, select X-Ray and that takes you to the special features. What's a bit odd is that only certain features are available for certain episodes. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 have a map (but not 4), and all four have a special animated "Wheel of Time Origins" episode. The ones so far have been about the Breaking of the World, the Fall of Manetheren, the Legend of Jerome (the best Warder ever) and Saidin & Saidar.

There's also a number of "legacy" episodes about Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson and a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff, concept art and so on.

I've found accessing them relatively easy on Firestick, but hit and miss on PC and mobile. And through some set-top box and Smart TV versions of the Amazon app, it apparently doesn't work at all.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#335 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:59 AM

View Post<_>, on 27 November 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

Ep 4

Not sitting well for me even if I'm going with this being a portal world to Jordan Prime.
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 27 November 2021 - 09:59 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#336 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:27 PM

I came back here, to see if other people were as enthusiastic as I am, having just watched ep 4, agree with TRB and EM, I just decided I'm in for this season and will definitely watch all of them.

#337 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

My girlfriend has twigged pretty quickly who the Dragon Reborn is, I'm not confirming her guess until the show does. She's terrible with names though and has started calling them: Moody (Perrin), Ginger (Rand), Evil (Mat), the one who gets shit done (Nynaeve), and the other one (Egwene).

I thought the deviation from the books in episode 4 was really well done, but I'm not a die-hard fan and didn't even really like the books so that was never going to bother me. Seeing some of the comments on Dragonmount in reply to Wert's review was really eye-opening in terms of rabid super-critical fan base, but everyone I've talked to IRL has been enjoying it.

#338 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 November 2021 - 07:02 PM

Mrs Tiste has said she wants to give it a go so we're starting tonight. I agree with Macros that it's basically TRB'S fault if we don't like it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#339 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 November 2021 - 07:58 PM

Further updates: we really enjoyed it! Gripping enough to keep us going at any rate. Already discussing who the dragon reborn could be (I read book one about 20 years ago or so and I don't remember anything haha)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#340 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:14 PM

Aww, my Mum read up to Winter's Heart about a decade ago and asked to watch the first episode today. She loved it.

The pure kid-at-Christmas grin on her face when Moiraine started giving the voice over at the end of the episode and she realised what the speech was is going to stay with me a long time. Genuinely so lovely.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users