Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#901 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:15 PM

Step down onto a bear trap.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#902 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:38 PM

He reiterated his stance on twitter an hour or so ago....so now I'm starting to wonder if the doubling down is the plan and angrily going at the public for daring to even question this....this motherfucker has doubled down before like this.

I think the difference this time is that backing down isn't just a face saving thing (like when he backed off using the NWC to force education workers to a contact acceptance last year)...it's a now a life preserving thing. These developers are LITERALLY mobsters....fucking Mario Puzo could not write a more trite mafia script if he tried.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 August 2023 - 01:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#903 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2023 - 02:05 PM

fuck me....it's a "we need to build housing, look at this Christian charity we ar helping!" presser....

I want EVERY reporter to ask greenbelt questions...every one, and I want them to full court press hard questions at him.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#904 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2023 - 02:21 PM

Oh I hate this. PLANTED people asking softball questions....not many of the usual media suspects who would ask hardball questions....this was planned to be this way. Oh I hate alllllllllll of this.

#905 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:27 PM

Remind me we have to deal with this guy for how many more years until the next election.

#906 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 August 2023 - 02:32 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 August 2023 - 10:27 PM, said:

Remind me we have to deal with this guy for how many more years until the next election.

Hate to point out there aren't a whole pile of people who can genuinely challenge him just yet.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#907 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:21 PM

yes i'd forgotten how the liberals are a shadow of their former glory, not sure the mayor of Mississauga can change that.

And with the vote splitting inherent in the FPTP system... you need someone on the left who can really unify people...

Honestly I feel like the provincial NDP and liberals should just merge already and find someone competent to lead the party already.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 22 August 2023 - 06:22 PM

#908 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:29 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 22 August 2023 - 06:21 PM, said:

yes i'd forgotten how the liberals are a shadow of their former glory, not sure the mayor of Mississauga can change that.

Crombie is okay I guess, but you're right that she probably can't unite the Libs. Nathan Erskin-Smith is probably the better option, but no one knows him....Crombie at least is a known quantity....but she inherited a LOT of her early successes from Hazel's penny pinching/urban sprawling...so who knows.

And with the vote splitting inherent in the FPTP system... you need someone on the left who can really unify people...

One hundo...and the last person I can even think of in Ontario who even came close to doing that was Jack Layton, and my gods that was like 15 years ago.

Honestly I feel like the provincial NDP and liberals should just merge already and find someone competent to lead the party already.

Hard agree. At this point they should understand that together they can be the centre left party we need to put the Cons out to pasture for a generation...and they simply refuse to do it. Ontario leans left and always has...but the divide between the left/center parties basically splits the non-Con vote in half every goddamn time. It's insufferable to watch the majority of people vote for left/center parties, and STILL lose to the fucking Cons.

#909 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 August 2023 - 06:25 AM

As a Sauga resident, her primary project (the Hurontario LRT) isn't really doing her any favors considering the main street is continuously clogged with endless construction getting nowhere, while the condos in the City Centre keep piling up, making the excessive cars problem ever worse.

And it honestly doesn't look like there's an end in sight. And then for Pjase 2 they want to do the same thing to Dundas, which is arguably gonna be even worse.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#910 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 August 2023 - 12:17 PM

View PostMentalist, on 23 August 2023 - 06:25 AM, said:

As a Sauga resident, her primary project (the Hurontario LRT) isn't really doing her any favors considering the main street is continuously clogged with endless construction getting nowhere, while the condos in the City Centre keep piling up, making the excessive cars problem ever worse.

And it honestly doesn't look like there's an end in sight. And then for Pjase 2 they want to do the same thing to Dundas, which is arguably gonna be even worse.

Yeah, she inherited the Busway from Hazel didn't she? That's the last decently executed infrastructure project in the Saug.

#911 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2023 - 04:47 PM

I didn't have "the premier of my province threatening a reporter by saying he knows where he lives because he was called out for his shenanigans" on my bingo card, but here we are. It's veiled thinly behind "You have a house, why don't you want others to have a house?"....but saying "You live right around the corner don't you?" is an "I know where you live" threat, plain and simple.

#912 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2023 - 06:28 PM

This article from 2018 before he was elected spells out what kind of human Doug Ford is....and it's not only not pretty...the final paragraph is an example of a pan he tried to institute that failed....but is almost exactly what he's now doing to the Ontario Place lands on the waterfront...

Add insider trading to it and you have the greenbelt scandal....like how is this guys whole 1+ terms in office spelled out so succinctly in 2018? Because this guy is exactly who we all think he is, and tribliastic party voting in Ontario means we don't have enough people who care how corrupt he is. Or we still have enough fat boomers living in their castles who hate taxes and could give a shit about much of anything else endorse this type of shit, because why not?

Anyways, have a read.

https://torontolife....ike-politician/

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 August 2023 - 06:30 PM

#913 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 September 2023 - 02:10 PM

Perfect. No notes.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 September 2023 - 02:15 PM

#914 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 September 2023 - 02:10 PM, said:

Perfect. No notes.

When I play that all it says is:

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: _cQgUY3BvS5lPAqD)
Learn More

That is a good closing message though... depending on what you're learning, and to what (deep, shallow, and/or apocalyptic) ends.... 'Drink deep of the high Pierian springs'

#915 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 September 2023 - 04:24 PM

India to citizens in Canada: exercise utmost caution

... or we might assassinate you too!

"in view of growing anti-India activities and politically-condoned hate crimes and criminal violence in Canada".

The Indian government has often reacted sharply to demands by Sikh separatists in Western countries for Khalistan, or a separate Sikh homeland. The Khalistan movement peaked in India in the 1980s with a violent insurgency centred in Sikh-majority Punjab state. It was quelled by force and has little resonance in India now, but is still popular among some in the Sikh diaspora [...]

[...] Delhi said that recently, threats were directed at its diplomats and some Indians "who oppose the anti-India agenda".

[...] Trudeau said [...] intelligence agencies were investigating whether "agents of the government of India" were involved in the killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a Canadian citizen - India had designated him a terrorist in 2020.

Nijjar was shot dead in his vehicle by two masked gunmen outside a Sikh temple [...] in British Columbia.

India to citizens in Canada: exercise utmost caution (msn.com)

Wonder if there's any credible evidence for the Indian government's accusations....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 September 2023 - 04:24 PM

#916 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 September 2023 - 10:47 PM

By the 1980s, the movement had taken on a militant bent, [...] engaging in bombings and shootings that injured and killed hundreds of Hindu and anti-Khalistan Punjabis. The issue hit crisis mode in 1984, when Gandhi sent army and police forces to Punjab's Golden Temple—the holiest place of worship for Sikhs—because the most murderous Khalistan-movement factions were hiding out there. A shootout ensued, leading to brutal casualties not only among the fighters but also of several Punjabi civilians, only further stoking regional anger against the government. A few months later, Gandhi's own Sikh bodyguard murdered her in retaliation, spawning retaliatory pogroms across North India that killed thousands of Sikhs and appeared to have been encouraged by the then-ruling Congress Party. Punjab continued to erupt in both pro-Khalistan and anti-Sikh violence throughout the decade, which both heightened government crackdowns and reduced popular support for the movement within Punjab; however, many Sikh individuals and groups located both within and outside of India have professed their continued desire for a Khalistan state.

So was Nijjar involved in … any of that?

[...] no—he was only a teen by the time Khalistan-linked chaos quieted in the early 1990s. [...] Nijjar was an organizer with the Canadian arm of Sikhs for Justice, a U.S.-based pro-Khalistan organization that's attempted to hold Congress Party members accountable in international courts for the anti-Sikh violence of the 1980s. [...]

[...] under Modi's reign, India has continued to monitor and target Khalistan supporters abroad. In 2016, its government told Canada that Nijjar specifically was running a militant training cell near Vancouver, and that he was wanted in India in connection with a fatal 2007 movie theater bombing. (In 2014, all suspects accused in that case were cleared of their charges.) [...] Nijjar denied all the allegations, mentioning that he'd been living in Canada for decades [...] Yet India kept up its pursuit of Singh. [...] In 2020, India officially deemed Nijjar a terrorist, linking his pro-Khalistan activism to the widespread farmers' protests that the national government was (unsuccessfully) attempting to crush. Last year, India's counterterrorism agency accused Nijjar of being involved in an attack on a Hindu priest and promised a monetary award to anyone who could help authorities arrest him. [...]

Was there any proof for all the accusations against Nijjar?

No firm proof as far as we can ascertain. There were multiple Indian government and police reports written so as to charge Nijjar in these acts, but no supplementary evidence was released to the public.

Why did India target him so voraciously, then?

The Modi administration often makes the Khalistan movement a scapegoat and a justification for crackdowns whenever protests have roared up against the prime minister's authoritarian, bigoted rule. [...]

[...] Canada had asked friends like the U.S. earlier this summer to condemn Nijjar's murder, only for them to decline [...]

[...] This is the first time India's been accused of an out-and-out foreign assassination, however—perhaps an indication that Modi and his goons stand to benefit from the impunity afforded to despots like Mohammad bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia who approved the assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Justin Trudeau says India may have murdered Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a Canadian citizen and Khalistan activist. There's a complex story behind it. (slate.com)

So: more to come?... (More assassinations in foreign countries, that is... if nothing of consequence happens. Or at least more assassinations in Canada....)

Whatever 'evidence' the Indian government claims to have was apparently not enough to convince the Canadian government to hand him over.

#917 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:07 PM

The Convoy idiots are reportedly having another go at Toronto today. This time it's about "Save the Children"....from pronouns apparently, or being aware that Trans people exist? I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, you can bet it's stupid and a grift.

As I left for work this morning the police had blocked off all access to Queens Park and Hospital Row with cruisers and buses and dumptrucks across intersections leading into those areas. This is exactly what they did the day the Convoyers tried to invade Toronto as they had done in Ottawa and the Toronto Police kettled them into one area, and forced them to abandon their vehicles and walk, and then unceremoniously kicked them the fuck out by 7PM. The plan was also ingenuous...the place they LET them parkk their vehicles was north of QP on the edge of Yorkville. If you know Toronto, you know that the only place with MORE rich (like REALLY rich) than Yorkville is the Bridle Path (where Drake lives)....so yeah you want a huge amount of influential people to call 911 and make the cops remove honking horns and rowdy protestors trying to stay overnight? You plunk them down at the edge of Yorkville.

Anyways, I expect it will go over about the same with these fucks being shown the door by tonight...and that's IF they show up in the numbers they did for the original Convoy which I doubt highly.

At any rate, if there's one thing I like about my city is that when these people playing victim over imagined slights try to come and protest with their big vehicles and try to make a nuisance of themselves, Toronto (the people AND the cops) say "Absolutely the fuck not."

It all interests me because these people literally DID this last week with just humans, no vehicles and they got SURROUNDED by double their number of counter-protestors and failed and ended up having to head home...so like...what are they even trying to achieve here? They will end up with an even colder welcome if they try this shit today.

I'll keep everyone posted if I see anything, but I expect this might fizzle before it's even a thing. That said, after work when I head home, if I see anyone, you better believe I'll hand out the middle finger salute while saying trans rights are human rights.

#918 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 02:07 PM, said:

The Convoy idiots are reportedly having another go at Toronto today. This time it's about "Save the Children"....from pronouns apparently, or being aware that Trans people exist? I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, you can bet it's stupid and a grift....

They tried it in Ottawa last week. No vehicles, just marching on Parliament. Various news orgs tried to speak w them... could watch the narrative shift from 'these are people w serious concerns' to 'these people are idiots who believe what they are told by other idiots who are just making shit up'.

The counter-group was easily double, more like 3-4x depending on who you talk to.

#919 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2023 - 04:11 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 02:07 PM, said:

The Convoy idiots are reportedly having another go at Toronto today. This time it's about "Save the Children"....from pronouns apparently, or being aware that Trans people exist? I'm really not sure. Whatever it is, you can bet it's stupid and a grift....

They tried it in Ottawa last week. No vehicles, just marching on Parliament. Various news orgs tried to speak w them... could watch the narrative shift from 'these are people w serious concerns' to 'these people are idiots who believe what they are told by other idiots who are just making shit up'.

The counter-group was easily double, more like 3-4x depending on who you talk to.

Yeah, I think the group in Toronto was about 250 people, and the counter-group was 600+ and surrounded them so they eventually left. We showed them that Toronto doesn't play with that.

It amuses me that these people DESIRE the big city presence to really try to hammer home their idiotic parroted narratives...but when they come to Toronto, we are all pretty progressive downtown and tell them all to get fucked. Like they get a better local reception in smaller towns...but they don't get the press there...but when they try to get that press in the bigger cities, we tell shut them down and send them out.

Anyways, the blockades have been removed now as the "convoy" and "protest" never materialized...but they are keeping an eye on things according to the TPS, so that means that the OPP will be monitoring the ways in and out of the city for anything resembling convoyers for the next few days.

I never had more fun being a Torontonian than the last time they tried this and I basically walked around with both middle fingers up at anyone with a flag, and watched whole groups of these bigoted idiots being shouted and screamed at by my neighbors. They felt VERY unwelcome here I'm sure. Toronto is the FAFO Philly-style of Canada.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2023 - 04:12 PM

#920 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 04:11 PM, said:

... We showed them that Toronto doesn't play with that....They felt VERY unwelcome here I'm sure. Toronto is the FAFO Philly-style of Canada.

I was almost hoping they would try the truck convoy thing in Ottawa again. Last time they attempted that local social media absolutely detonated and a spontaneous counterprotest assembled and blocked them from proceeding towards downtown. It was wild to watch unfold... a handful of people posted versions of 'convoy sighted, going to yell at them at riverside and bank streets' and a few dozen 'on the way' responses turned into a few hundred people blocking the trucks from proceeding. Eventually the police arrived at the standoff and forced them to turn around and leave.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users