Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#881 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:39 PM

Was listening to the agenda and one the individuals on the panel came from an org that put this info sheet together.

https://www.moreneig...2023-mayor-race

Original segment for discussion.
https://youtu.be/1JeQ5EDL0jw

The big issue with Chow on this front seems to be
"* The Olivia Chow Campaign has not made significant promises on zoning, land use, city processes, and urban design policies that make it harder to deliver much needed housing, and therefore, made it difficult for More Neighbours to assign a score for the first two categories. Hence, we have assumed that a Mayor Olivia Chow would not depart significantly from the roadmap set out by John Tory."

Haven't looked much into it as i'm not voting in it, but I'm in favor of any candidate that can do something about the housing crisis.

#882 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:36 AM

Chow wins! LET’S FUCKING GO!

Goddamn I needed a progressive win after Doug Ford has been fucking us while Tory watched for a a large part of a decade.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#883 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2023 - 05:09 AM

Congrats!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#884 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2023 - 12:09 PM

Thanks man,

Yeah it's still crazy to me how you can tell the areas of the Megacity that are basically "Fuck you I got mine!" Conservative voters....in the suburbs that aren't more-poor (AKA not Scarborough) like Etobicoke and North York and north of Yonge & Eg...which were almost universally Bailao-bastions....why? Because a progressive mayor will want to help fund the city by raising the taxation on people with homes - a taxation level that the Conservative mayors of the last 13 years; Tory and Ford have kept down near the ground for them while the large majority of the rest of us suffer with worse and worse prospects...and because they want to fund public infrastructure like transit and whatnot, which those home owning wealthier class voters of those regions could give a flying shit about and don't want their money going to...like the divide between the classes is so clear in an election in this mashed up megacity...my Ward for example, is right downtown and we went for Chow in an order of magnitude almost 10k higher than Bailao...but yeah...people with homes who want their property taxes kept super low even while everything crumbles around them are the ones who vote Conservative-minded mayors...they could car less about the rest of us. Coincidentally, my FIL lives in one of those regions and very much votes like that...it baffles me and no amount of explaining to him how these progressive policies would benefit him in the long run seems to penetrate his boomer brain.

Oh well, a fresh start for Toronto. It's gonna be hard work as the city is deeply in debt and the last 13 years have run it into the ground with wild levels of austerity (for everyone BUT the Cops apparently, cause they were given millions by the previous mayors)...but Chow is known to be a very hard worker. And the Right wing media knives will be out for Chow starting today. I can't even fathom what the cover of the Sun looks like today....it's probably just a picture of Dante's Inferno without caption...because hyperbole is their strong suit.

Somewhere in the afterlife Jack's looking down on Chow and is so proud of her.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 June 2023 - 12:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#885 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:11 PM

She/they pulled it off!

I'm not exactly surprised based on the #s and generally higher than usual dislike for the cons, Tory, etc, but was prepared for a late stage shift.
It was close, Chow took 37%, Bailao 33.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#886 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2023 - 02:11 PM, said:

She/they pulled it off!

I'm not exactly surprised based on the #s and generally higher than usual dislike for the cons, Tory, etc, but was prepared for a late stage shift.

The news keeps calling it close, but 4% difference isn't exactly close in an election with such a turnout.

Also the absolutely shameful way that news agencies like CP24 reported the results between around 8 and 8:15 or so pretending not to know what wards overall were reporting in for the results percentage for each candidate and who was leading really made me hate that Bell clearly had a mandate to keep people on tenterhooks when Bailao was leading initially because municipal elections always start out in the Burbs (Read: Etobicoke) so of course Ana was going to have the lead initially as those rich homeowners will vote for whatever beige suit won't raise they property taxes...but yeah they fully pretended and said out loud on air that they could not "tell" what wards made up those overall numbers yet....FUCK you CP24 (Bell) and your shitty ratings attempts.

Take heart Ottawa, next time you can hopefully get a progressive in.

#887 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:23 PM

I see the old British saying "Never trust a Tory" is relevant here too!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#888 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:41 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 June 2023 - 03:23 PM, said:

I see the old British saying "Never trust a Tory" is relevant here too!

Not only that, Tory was a Tory in our PC party for a long time before he was mayor. So he was doubly untrustworthy as a Tory. LOL

#889 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:53 PM

Y Kant Tory Lead

#890 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2023 - 06:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 June 2023 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2023 - 02:11 PM, said:

She/they pulled it off!

The news keeps calling it close, but 4% difference isn't exactly close in an election with such a turnout.

Also the absolutely shameful way that news agencies like CP24 reported the results between around 8 and 8:15 or so pretending not to know what wards overall were reporting in for the results percentage for each candidate and who was leading really made me hate that Bell clearly had a mandate to keep people on tenterhooks when Bailao was leading initially because municipal elections always start out in the Burbs (Read: Etobicoke) so of course Ana was going to have the lead initially as those rich homeowners will vote for whatever beige suit won't raise they property taxes...but yeah they fully pretended and said out loud on air that they could not "tell" what wards made up those overall numbers yet....FUCK you CP24 (Bell) and your shitty ratings attempts.

Take heart Ottawa, next time you can hopefully get a progressive in.

Wasn't following closely but the ratings grab isn't a surprise. Now brace for +/- four years of 'MAYOR CHOW IS A COMPLETE DISASTER'.

Ottawa... strong left leanings here in most respects but the progressive candidates go full 'free transit, needle clinics and homeless shelters in every neighborhood, taxes up to pay for it all!' and the civil servants and university profs become just a wee bit less leftwards. Suddenly the 'lets have a dialogue about the issues while increasing funding yadda yadda developers give me money so you don't have to' guy becomes less distasteful. We don't seem to generate candidates who can walk the midline very well.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#891 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2023 - 12:13 PM

My father in law is angry apparently. My wife came home from seeing him last night and said "Don't talk to my dad about the election, he's ANGRY"...and I feel like saying (since I know it's largely about the increase he's facing in property taxes....and also that she's a woman...of colour; yeah he's one of those) "The city if like a billion and a half dollars in debt, it didn't matter WHO became mayor, taxes were GOING to go up to offset that...especially when our CONSERVATIVE premier likes to hoard money and not give any to the biggest city in the province...like you can't make this up.

Ford was on TV being like "We're going to have to tighten pursestrings, there's a tone of waste in Toronto"....as if that's somehow Olivia's fault (when she's not even taking office till July 12) and not the fault of both his crack-smoking brother and beige walking suit John Tory (a man he reputedly PHONED during his scandal to beg to stay in office)....the Conservative playbook would be breathtaking in it's arrogance if it wasn't so blatantly evil.

But yeah, I foresee my FIL blaming every one of his life's ills on Chow now...meanwhile he complains about healthcare waits being so long for there various things he needs it for...but voted "Cut healthcare to the quick DURING a pandemic" Doug Ford BOTH times.

We had THIRTEEN years of the mayors YOU voted for man...and the city is deep in debt and most social services are in the toilet...FFS my daughters skating was cancelled due to cuts....you get that? His own granddaughter could not do her skating lessons in the winter because the people he voted for (Happily) cut funding. The idea that after 13 years of austerity and nothing to show for it financially...but the progressive mayor getting in finally and wanting to shore up some services and help fix housing and other aspects of life...makes him angry....shows me where his goddamn priories lay...

He's the prototypical "We pulled up the ladder, fuck you I got mine" Boomer stereotype writ large...and both my Brothers in law are mostly on that same side, so my cheese is in the wind at any family gathering if I try to fight the good fight verbally about all this stuff...they gang the fuck up on me until I break and get emotional and have to walk away from them.

EDIT: and he's my landlord since he owns where we live, we've been house hunting for years now but the market is still a shitshow, so I have to tread lightly when I go at him over this stuff...and yes I think he would kick us out including his grandkids if he was angry enough.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

#892 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 June 2023 - 01:24 PM

Sounds too emotional for politics.

#893 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2023 - 01:40 PM

View Postworry, on 28 June 2023 - 01:24 PM, said:

Sounds too emotional for politics.

Oh he is. He hated the former provincial NDP Opposition leader (Andrea Horwath) and I asked him why once and the reply I got chalked up to "She's an emotional woman and rants about everything the PC's do!"....and I'm like "She's the official OPPOSITION...like this is her literal job dude...."

The sexism is kind of off the charts...but I can't say I expected more of the man who never EVER helped clear the dinner table after he was served dinner by his wife or daughters over the years I've known him...and a weird offshoot to this is that when I'M in the kitchen cooking for everyone (which I do fairly often), he's NOSY AF and wants to know everything I'm doing and when I tell him he always questions me "Why wouldn't you do it this way?"....hey man, fuck off out of the kitchen and go back to your 4th scotch.

Sorry, I'm venting.

#894 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 June 2023 - 12:52 PM

Sounds absolutely toxic.

Your wife is probably very happy and fortunate you aren't anything like him.

#895 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:42 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 29 June 2023 - 12:52 PM, said:

Sounds absolutely toxic.

Your wife is probably very happy and fortunate you aren't anything like him.

Meh, she loves him. He's her dad and her only remaining parent...but she's VERY aware of how he is all those things, and has come to loggerheads with him often. She avoids those topics now as she doesn't want his remaining years (he's not exactly in healthy shape and is mid-70's) to be them fighting, so I get it.

But yeah, I'm his opposite in nearly every way...so that old adage of women wanting someone like their dad doesn't seem to hold true when the dad is a racist, chauvinist, and a bigot.

Her sister on the other hand...absolutely married that guy.

#896 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 June 2023 - 06:39 PM

Sounds like your sister did too, from what you've told us QT. Must be hard for you!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#897 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2023 - 07:36 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 June 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

Sounds like your sister did too, from what you've told us QT. Must be hard for you!

Actually my sisters husband, barring the period of time they were both knee deep in the covid conspiracy stuff (that they've both successfully climbed out of; my sister revealed that the best thing she ever did was to get off Facebook and other social media), is not like that at all. He's never been racist, nor chauvinist (he does almost all the cooking actually and always helps in household chores ect.)...they just were lost in the miasma of covid-era anti-mask anti-vaxx stuff for a few years.

So at least on that side of things, it's easier now.

All good. I like to think our parenting of our own kids is avoiding pitfalls of the previous generation as we took the kids to Pride over the weekend (the parade, and there were events at their school as well) and my daughter was asked this week to tell about and draw a picture of what she did on the weekend and she wrote that her family attended the pride parade and she drew us all next to a big honking rainbow. So that made me feel good and like I was doing something right.

I can't fix those that are already mind-set like my father-in-law, but I can make sure the next generation is much more accepting and tolerant.

#898 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:03 PM

Re: Auditor Generals report on the Greenbelt sale/developers shit....

This level of blatant corruption out in the open is insane.

I don't think I've EVER seen anything like this not sink that person and party....FFS the last time anything anywhere NEAR this level of bad occurred, it doomed Mike Harris and the PC's of the 90's early aughts...but for some reason this CLEARLY criminal as fuck activity just slides off their back because they have a majority they skated into on 18% of the vote? WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

https://www.thestar....20a907ac7b.html

Like in plain terms. The Greenbelt was undevelopable land due to laws about its use, so that PUBLIC land was not worth much and Doug Ford and the PCs sold that land to two developers (Basically both well known as mafia families) who were at his daughters fucking WEDDING....right? To the tune of 240million. THEN he opens those exact regions of the greenbelt up for development that it wasn't previously allowed to be used for, which will garner an 8.3billion $ windfall for those two developers. You get that? They spent 240 million when the land was not to be used for their purposes...and they get a 30-fold fucking benefit when he opens up the land for their purposes to be allowed. THIRTY TIMES the profit...I....I can't....I simply can't.

I've said before that Ford's damage will be worse than Mike Harris...he's not there YET, but he's certainly on his way and I bet by the end of their current term he will be. There's a reason that Mike Harris is a cautionary tale in Canadian politics....it's because if you let the Cons lie to you as he did and as ford and his cronies are doing, they will fuck you without lube when they get in and cal it a mandate.

This province is a mess.

#899 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 August 2023 - 05:46 PM

Incensed and angry Sid is my fave version of Sid. As usual when he's mad, he's spot on correct.

#900 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:28 PM

Another Ford & Clark presser at 10 AM this morning....if I had to put money on it, this is the "throw Ryan Amato [Clarks CoS who technically approved this greenbelt shit] under the bus/fall guy" presser....but there is a small ass chance this is a "fight back" presser to reiterate that nothing bad occurred, that the Auditor General is out of her lane, or that crimes of this magnitude with public money are okay as long as housing is involved.

I would love to see Clark step down too...but I doubt it...and while we are wishing for stuff, I would love Ford to step down too...

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users