Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#921 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2023 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 04:11 PM, said:

... We showed them that Toronto doesn't play with that....They felt VERY unwelcome here I'm sure. Toronto is the FAFO Philly-style of Canada.

I was almost hoping they would try the truck convoy thing in Ottawa again. Last time they attempted that local social media absolutely detonated and a spontaneous counterprotest assembled and blocked them from proceeding towards downtown. It was wild to watch unfold... a handful of people posted versions of 'convoy sighted, going to yell at them at riverside and bank streets' and a few dozen 'on the way' responses turned into a few hundred people blocking the trucks from proceeding. Eventually the police arrived at the standoff and forced them to turn around and leave.

Yep. I think the trauma they caused to Ottawa citizens for a straight month was enough for them to be collectively "Try that shit again fuckers, we DARE you." I think they (the convoyers) also wildly overestimate their ability to pull this shit again....they got away with it the one time because it was a surprise and the Ottawa Police and Mayor were complicit (or lazy or scared)...but a second time is going to be met with a FROSTY reception by all the people who were traumatized by it the first time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#922 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

... We showed them that Toronto doesn't play with that....They felt VERY unwelcome here I'm sure. Toronto is the FAFO Philly-style of Canada.

I was almost hoping they would try the truck convoy thing in Ottawa again. Last time they attempted that local social media absolutely detonated and a spontaneous counterprotest assembled and blocked them from proceeding towards downtown. It was wild to watch unfold... a handful of people posted versions of 'convoy sighted, going to yell at them at riverside and bank streets' and a few dozen 'on the way' responses turned into a few hundred people blocking the trucks from proceeding. Eventually the police arrived at the standoff and forced them to turn around and leave.

Yep. I think the trauma they caused to Ottawa citizens for a straight month was enough for them to be collectively "Try that shit again fuckers, we DARE you." I think they (the convoyers) also wildly overestimate their ability to pull this shit again....they got away with it the one time because it was a surprise and the Ottawa Police and Mayor were complicit (or lazy or scared)...but a second time is going to be met with a FROSTY reception by all the people who were traumatized by it the first time.

i was semi-surprised the 'blockade' didn't turn ugly. People were so ready. There were enough clear heads to keep it civil, but the level of 'you... fuckers... will NOT pass' was full threat Gandalf on the bridge ready to throw down. it was VERY impressive.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#923 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2023 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

i was semi-surprised the 'blockade' didn't turn ugly. People were so ready. There were enough clear heads to keep it civil, but the level of 'you... fuckers... will NOT pass' was full threat Gandalf on the bridge ready to throw down. it was VERY impressive.

Yeah for sure. And to be fair to Ottawa, one of the reasons Toronto was SO prepared the first time to repel them (TPS and citizens) was that we had all watched what unfolded in Ottawa and were like "not here Mfers"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#924 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:47 PM

Speaker resigned.

This makes sense. That the person was not vetted enough is on them entirely. That demanded a resignation.

#925 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2023 - 06:47 PM, said:

Speaker resigned.

This makes sense. That the person was not vetted enough is on them entirely. That demanded a resignation.

his office REALLY blew it.

the Cons efforts to make this about Trudeau were silly.

#926 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 27 September 2023 - 03:09 AM

Heard about that protest through discord as some people I know were there with the 519. Some fists were thrown so people were quite nervous but glad things ended relatively well.

Apparently things didin't go as well in oakville/waterloo.

Also I meant to ask have y'all been following this greenbelt fiasco? I don't know if I ever heard a more dishonest apology in my life.

#927 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2023 - 12:22 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 September 2023 - 03:09 AM, said:

Also I meant to ask have y'all been following this greenbelt fiasco? I don't know if I ever heard a more dishonest apology in my life.

He knew very well he was caught and the Legislature was about to be back in sesh...and two of his cabinet dropped off from it, and I expect the only reason he's not expecting repercussions legally from the developers is due to Discovery opening them up to criminality too.

But yeah, he will never be contrite about it...he'll just be like "Well, whoopsie....oh well...it's all god now right? RIGHT?" Gods what a potato troll.

#928 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:06 PM

I saw a REALLY unintentionally funny tweet where they announced that Rob Schneider (who has gone well off the right winger conspiracy deep end into almost Kevin Sorbo territory, if you didn't know) was cancelling his upcoming tour dates in Canada due to the Nazi-applauded-in-parliament thing...and I'm like...sorry, but was Rob Schneider's stand-up enough of a draw to have it ANNOUNCED by the media broadly that he won't be coming and here's why?? Like who ever knows who he is at this point? It's been almost 30 years since he was on SNL, and since then the only work he's gotten has been when his comedy buddies have given him bit parts in their movies. He's a completely nobody to most of the world these days....but somehow the fact that he chose to not come on principle is news? LMAO

What a fucking chud.

#929 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 September 2023 - 02:06 PM, said:

I saw a REALLY unintentionally funny tweet where they announced that Rob Schneider (who has gone well off the right winger conspiracy deep end into almost Kevin Sorbo territory, if you didn't know) was cancelling his upcoming tour dates in Canada due to the Nazi-applauded-in-parliament thing...and I'm like...sorry, but was Rob Schneider's stand-up enough of a draw to have it ANNOUNCED by the media broadly that he won't be coming and here's why?? Like who ever knows who he is at this point? It's been almost 30 years since he was on SNL, and since then the only work he's gotten has been when his comedy buddies have given him bit parts in their movies. He's a completely nobody to most of the world these days....but somehow the fact that he chose to not come on principle is news? LMAO

What a fucking chud.

Slow news day.

#930 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 September 2023 - 02:26 AM

I occasionally see the anti-vaxxers/ thank-you-trukers/we hate Trudeau folks take up all the street corners at hurontario and burnhamthorpe in mississauga city center on weekends.

Never seen people counter-protest, but no one seems to care about them either.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 28 September 2023 - 02:27 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#931 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:01 AM

So this woman seems fun:

BBC News - A QAnon 'queen' and the Canada town that wants her gone
https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-66930536
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#932 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:37 PM

View PostMentalist, on 28 September 2023 - 02:26 AM, said:

I occasionally see the anti-vaxxers/ thank-you-trukers/we hate Trudeau folks take up all the street corners at hurontario and burnhamthorpe in mississauga city center on weekends.

Same corner that I've seen the Anti-abortion crowd set up shop with their disgusting giant posters. It's the primest real estate in the Saug, considering Square 1 is right there, so they know they will get the most amount of eyes on their shit takes.

I'm glad people seem to ignore them. We ignore the ones that pop up in Toronto, but they are disruptive as fuck with their little megaphones chanting shit about vaccines, and saving the children.

#933 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:45 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 September 2023 - 09:01 AM, said:

So this woman seems fun:

BBC News - A QAnon 'queen' and the Canada town that wants her gone
https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-66930536

Oh she's certifiable, One of those "sovereign citizens" who calls herself a Queen...she's deeply mentally ill. I know someone who talked to her away from the crowds when she was in Toronto a few years back, and he said she seems like she's deep in unmedicated BPD ad possible schizophrenia. I believe she has no family members who might have helped advocate her to get help, so she stays off her rocker and the Right Wingers love her because she spouts their conspiracy shit...so they would rather enable her mental illness and exploit it.

And I worry less about when they settle in towns like this, because they WILL inevitably get chased out, either by residents or cops...the problem will arise when they figure out how to sustainably set up shop in the northern wilderness where they aren't bothering anybody...THAT would be when I'd worry as she could make a significantly sized cult under those circumstances and then I expect the typical cult shit would start to happen and that scares me.

#934 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2023 - 01:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2023 - 12:37 PM, said:

Same corner that I've seen the Anti-abortion crowd set up shop with their disgusting giant posters. It's the primest real estate in the Saug, considering Square 1 is right there, so they know they will get the most amount of eyes on their shit takes.

I'm glad people seem to ignore them. We ignore the ones that pop up in Toronto, but they are disruptive as fuck with their little megaphones chanting shit about vaccines, and saving the children.

We have them in Ottown too. For years they were parked outside the Morgentaler clinic but then someone dropped a restraining order on them so now they're across the street. Every now and then they get into shouting matches w some of the local screamy methheads which is not so much entertaining as satisfying on a 'let evil fight evil' level. People mostly ignore them otherwise. They bailed when the ClownVoy was at its height... too much noise for them.Posted Image

#935 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 September 2023 - 05:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2023 - 12:37 PM, said:

They can't do much with noise, b/c it's a car intersection first and foremost and there's no real pedestrian space for people to be there, besides for those who happen to live in the condos directly on the intersection.

If they tried to set up shop closer to Celebration Square, or anywhere within eyesight of Sq1, they'd probably get a whole lot more attention.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#936 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 October 2023 - 01:09 PM

Manitoba elected the NDP and not only that but a First Nations premier! Wab Kinew! Amazing all around. They'll definitely search those landfills for the missing and murdered indigenous.

I WANT this to be the beginning of the swing that will reject Conservatism that currently holds most of the premier slots in this country...More NDP to power at the provincial slots will be good for all.

#937 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 October 2023 - 01:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 October 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

Manitoba elected the NDP and not only that but a First Nations premier! Wab Kinew! Amazing all around. They'll definitely search those landfills for the missing and murdered indigenous.

I WANT this to be the beginning of the swing that will reject Conservatism that currently holds most of the premier slots in this country...More NDP to power at the provincial slots will be good for all.

Agree it's a good outcome for Manitoba and even the country. Manitoba had finally hit the point where anyone but the PC's could only be an improvement, and the NDP were frontrunners, the Libs being a laughable third. There are reasons for hope and caution but more the former than the latter. I completely agree that an Indigenous premiere is amazing to see.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users