Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#1041 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 May 2023 - 06:35 AM

I watched Quantumania. I liked it but it's basically Star Wars in the Marvel universe.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1042 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:08 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 27 May 2023 - 06:35 AM, said:

I watched Quantumania. I liked it but it's basically Star Wars in the Marvel universe.

I can see this analogy and you're not the first person to note this....but I found it intently boring in comparison to Star Wars.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1043 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:15 AM

Recently watched Quantummania at home and Guardians of the Galaxy at the cinema yesterday.

Quantumania was actually better then I expected but I expected it to be as bad as the second movie so being an average, average- marvel move was way above expectations. Among the recent crop of marvel movies it might even get a pass as decent

Guardians was easily the best marvel movie back to endgame and one of the stronger ones in the entire series. Marvel has never been high art but in this one you care for characters and their struggles, while being variably entertained and horrified it is a good movie.

#1044 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:14 AM

Looks interesting, if not quite the same guy as in the comics.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1045 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:15 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 June 2023 - 10:14 AM, said:

Looks interesting, if not quite the same guy as in the comics.

Not part of the MCU. This is part of Sony's attempt to backdoor Spider-Man villains as a series (along with VENOM 1 and 2, and MORBIUS).

I'm interested due to Crowe and ATJ's involvement, and nothing storywise.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1046 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 09:22 PM

Is this stuff still entertaining? I haven’t watched anything in quite awhile now..maybe since CA and WS or Ten Rings. I attempted Black Widow and had to ff but the only problem is that I did that all the way to the end. I started Eternals and bailed after 20ish minutes.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#1047 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 June 2023 - 09:22 PM, said:

Is this stuff still entertaining? I haven't watched anything in quite awhile now..maybe since CA and WS or Ten Rings. I attempted Black Widow and had to ff but the only problem is that I did that all the way to the end. I started Eternals and bailed after 20ish minutes.

Some of it is fine enough, but most of it is really just okay. Which I will argue is the worst thing art of any medium can be.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1048 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 June 2023 - 12:37 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 June 2023 - 09:22 PM, said:

Is this stuff still entertaining? I haven’t watched anything in quite awhile now..maybe since CA and WS or Ten Rings. I attempted Black Widow and had to ff but the only problem is that I did that all the way to the end. I started Eternals and bailed after 20ish minutes.

PHASE 4

BLACK WIDOW was fine, just a standard action movie....barely felt MCU.

SHANG-CHI was my fave of the Phase 4 stuff.

ETERNALS was trash and boring.

SPIDER-MAN NO WAY HOME was fantastic.

DOCTOR STRANGE 2 was quite good, but in a Sam Raimi way more than an MCU way, as an MCU movie it's middling. Disconnect it from the MCU and it's fun.

THOR LOVE & THUNDER was worse trash than anything else in the Phase.

BLACK PANTHER 2 was bad, but that was due to story choices, and especially cinematography choices more than anything else.

PHASE 5

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY HOLIDAY SPECIAL was wonderful. It was so good I'll add it to yearly Xmas watches.

ANT-MAN 3 was really bad....really really bad. Do not waste your time.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3 was phenomenal start to finish. Loved every second of it.

And while not the MCU, ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE was a masterpiece.

NOT OUT YET

I expect THE MARVELS to fail sadly. Not that the characters in it are uninteresting, but the direction and writings on the Cap Marvel films is lacking for me...and the trailer did nothing for me. I'm willing to be surprised, but I won't see it in theatre.

DEADPOOL 3....yeah, I feel this is going to do well regardless, but as technically the vehicle for the demise of the Fox-verse and the melding into the MCU PLUS Wolverine?....yeah this is going to be box office gold. Can't wait.

CAP: BRAVE NEW WORLD: No idea, I think Mackie is good as Cap, and bringing in Harrison as the replacement for Thunderbolt Ross/Red Hulk? Yeah, that may push this up a few notches on the excitement belt.

#1049 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

I'd go with the only can't miss Phase 4-5 movie being Guardians Vol 3 the rest are at best entertaining for Doctor Strange, Black Widow and No Way Home. The rest require investment in the universe and completionist spirit to be worth it.

This post has been edited by Chance: 26 June 2023 - 02:50 PM

#1050 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 04:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 June 2023 - 12:37 PM, said:

THOR LOVE & THUNDER was worse trash than anything else in the Phase....

I cannot grasp the hate for this film.
Bestest thing in the MCU? Hell no.
But worse than THOR 2, or ETERNALS, or BLACK PANTHER 2....? Hells no. And way more fun than bad comedy GUARDIANS 2, tried hard but never got there ANT MAN 2, and stop please just stop AGE OF ULTRON.

I dunno, maybe i'm just a sucker for screaming goats and superpowered kids beating the crap out of monsters.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1051 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 June 2023 - 04:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 June 2023 - 04:35 PM, said:

Juxtaposing a serious-as-hell Cancer storyline with one of the leads (something that I admit was too close to me at the time with my mom sick), with constant dick & fart humour....laid further against a villain whose sympathy is in the fact that he's a bereft father avenging his kids death against capricious gods....HAS A PLAN THAT INVOLVES KIDNAPPING KIDS...

Like I'm not sure what in Taika's head told him ANY of that was smart narratively. It's his worst movie by a long stretch in a string of mostly wins...and as an MCU movie it's just plain bad. RAGNAROK played around the edges of the comedy while still delivering a solid narrative...L&T just eviscerated that good will.

#1052 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 June 2023 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 June 2023 - 04:35 PM, said:

Juxtaposing a serious-as-hell Cancer storyline with one of the leads (something that I admit was too close to me at the time with my mom sick), with constant dick & fart humour....laid further against a villain whose sympathy is in the fact that he's a bereft father avenging his kids death against capricious gods....HAS A PLAN THAT INVOLVES KIDNAPPING KIDS...

Like I'm not sure what in Taika's head told him ANY of that was smart narratively. It's his worst movie by a long stretch in a string of mostly wins...and as an MCU movie it's just plain bad. RAGNAROK played around the edges of the comedy while still delivering a solid narrative...L&T just eviscerated that good will.

The cancer story is part of the original comic story and there was no way to do Jane-as-Thor any other way without being even harder slammed. For what it was I thought they handled it well enough. It was blunt but i don't think anyone can expect PHILIDELPHIA level nuance with terminal disease in an MCU film. At the end of the day Taika worked with what he was handed and gave Jane a challenging storyline with a real sacrifice/triumph at the end. Predictable but satisfying. ...in my opinion.

The 'avenge my child by threatening other people's children' thing... that's a plot as old as plots.

#1053 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:24 PM

I didn't mind the cancer storyline at all....that's not my issue. My issue is that Taika assumed that the best thing to juxtapose it against was basement level dick and fart humour...like the comic version of the story never dives into that for its own fodder, so the movie doesn't get some sort of pass...I get that comedy is Taika's wheelhouse for emotion...but it was wildly misplaced here against such a serious storyline.

In contrast, GOTG 3 is essentially one long gourd of multiple trauma events juxtaposed against the Guardians, who themselves are often sarcastic and full of comedy to deal with the trauma in their pasts...but Gunn never ever robs the gravitas of those trauma events with his humour...that's the difference.

In THOR 4 it felt like all the childish humour robbed any drama the movie had, and especially by having Thor himself as the foil for a tonne of that pedestrian level humour just steals the air out of the room.

Part of that in GOTG 3 is having Gamora not caring about the crew for 75% of the runtime and that includes Rocket...only to change her tune in a nanosecond of decision where she saves him from what is a nigh-ridiculous rampaging hybrid animal thingie....a scene that COULD totally be played for laughs but isn't, because Gunn is smart enough not to.

I'm not sure how else to describe it really. Dealing with heavy drama and trauma in a film that also works on comedy is a line that needs a deft hand...Gunn handled it expertly, while Taika (inexplicably; the rest of his filmography is pretty untouchably stellar) may as well have used a sledgehammer.

And I would argue the trauma at the core of GOTG 3 is even MORE hardcore than the Thor 4 cancer storyline and Gunn still nailed it.

EDIT to add: My wife (who I consider to be a pretty good bellwether of these movies as a non-comic person) said that the goats were possibly the WORST thing she's ever been annoyed by in a movie ever...and frankly, I agree. It was mildly funny once but even then went on too long...after that It was like nails on a chalkboard bad...holy shit. Never thought something would unseat my dislike of the plinky-piano score in INTERSTELLAR for "audio annoyance" in a film, but here we fucking are. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 June 2023 - 05:35 PM

#1054 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:22 PM

I agree w your wife re the goats. I leaughed the first couple of times, then... beh.

The cancer storyline w the humour... the comics did have lighter elements while running Jane's story. I ack they went bigger here but that's a function of the medium. No one goes to a marvel movie for a heavy emotional terminal disease story. I was impressed that he went as far as he did w it.
I see your point I just disagree that it tears the movie down as far as you do. I put it ahead of Thor 1 and 2, easy.

#1055 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:57 PM

OH GODS....90's kid me is in heaven! They FINALLY let him have the yellow suit! And after hearing that both Jennifer Garner's Elektra AND Channing Tatum as Gambit are in this flick too...this is shaping up to be my most-looked forward to Superhero flick!

Attached File  WolvieDP3.jpg (196.03K)
Number of downloads: 0

#1056 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:32 PM

YELLOW SPANDEX

THEY PUT
HUGH JACKMAN
WOLVERINE
IN

YELLOW SPANDEX

AND IT LOOKS AS
STUPID
AND GLORIOUS
AS IT MUST

...every now and then this timeline does not suck.

#1057 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 July 2023 - 03:32 PM, said:

YELLOW SPANDEX

THEY PUT
HUGH JACKMAN
WOLVERINE
IN

YELLOW SPANDEX

AND IT LOOKS AS
STUPID
AND GLORIOUS
AS IT MUST

I feel like I've been wanting this since they made that joke about it in X1 even though I didn't realise I wanted this till just now haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1058 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:22 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 July 2023 - 05:19 PM, said:

YELLOW SPANDEX

THEY PUT
HUGH JACKMAN
WOLVERINE
IN

YELLOW SPANDEX

AND IT LOOKS AS
STUPID
AND GLORIOUS
AS IT MUST

I feel like I've been wanting this since they made that joke about it in X1 even though I didn't realise I wanted this till just now haha

And Bryan Singer put that joke into X1 because it was his real life belief that the X-Men Yellow Spandex look was untranslatable to the big screen in live action. He was adamant about it in the interviews I read in 1999 before the movie came out.

Proving him wrong all these years later is cathartic as hell.

#1059 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2023 - 05:22 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 July 2023 - 05:19 PM, said:

YELLOW SPANDEX

THEY PUT
HUGH JACKMAN
WOLVERINE
IN

YELLOW SPANDEX

AND IT LOOKS AS
STUPID
AND GLORIOUS
AS IT MUST

And Bryan Singer put that joke into X1 because it was his real life belief that the X-Men Yellow Spandex look was untranslatable to the big screen in live action. He was adamant about it in the interviews I read in 1999 before the movie came out.

Proving him wrong all these years later is cathartic as hell.

I laughed my ass off at that joke, i fully agreed with him, i'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong and also right and OMG YELLOW SPANDEX!!!!!!

#1060 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 07:15 PM

FIRST CLASS went a long way to showing that the traditional yellow and blue X-Men garb was not only translatable, but with the right touches it needn't even LOOK like spandex. I think a lot of people at the time in the late 90's when X-MEN got made...saw a translation of superhero outfits to live action requiring them to be exactly that....spandex, stretched tight over an actors frame (like Reeves Superman, for example)...when the reality of really good comic-to-screen adapted costumes came with the MCU...it was much more in the vein of tight, but practical and durable material with the right bright colours...and I don't know if anyone really even thought about doing that when X1 came out....

....though how he landed on skintight Black Biker Leather outfits with THIN (almost miss them) stripes of colour one them....is totally beyond me.

Maybe he was attempting to give us Burton's Batman as X-Men? Or maybe his fairly well known fetish circle proclivities prompted it? Either way, the slow change from film to film away from that happened super gradually until Matthew Vaughn made FIRST CLASS and was like "fuck it, let's do the blue and yellow"

EDIT:

You can see 3 puncture spots in DP's costume in the high res shot of that image....LOL...Wolvie has already stabbed DP in the leg!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 July 2023 - 07:30 PM

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users