Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#1021 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:59 PM

Wasn't John Krasinski Reed Richards? At least as a cameo in Dr Strange 2, right?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1022 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:04 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2023 - 01:53 PM, said:

... ...but hey, i liked Krasinski in the roll and that seems to be universally disliked so what do i know?

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2023 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wasn't John Krasinski Reed Richards? At least as a cameo in Dr Strange 2, right?

Yep. That.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1023 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2023 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2023 - 01:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2023 - 01:31 PM, said:

While Jonathan Majors is clearly on his way out of the MCU and someone else will be cast as Kang (My hope is John Boyega)...

...maybe?
Boyega's a solid actor, i'm not sure about him as an Evil Overlord type.

Or perhaps they can tease Aldis Hodge into the role? He's likely not going to be in Gunn's DC universe as Hawkman, so who knows.

He would totally work, both for the attitude and the physicality.

#1024 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 May 2023 - 12:17 PM

Saw GUARDIANS 3 last night and really loved it. James Gunn really pulled it off again. Such a rewarding third act!

going into spoilers for the rest.

Spoiler

I need to see it again, but for now, I'm hella pleased and the Guardians trilogy will be worthy of the shelf for sure.

And, this might be controversial, but if I was pressed, I'd argue that this is the FINEST trilogy of films in the entire MCU by a long stretch on just a movie level. Like I don't own any of the MCU movies on physical media (because I have D+ and some of them on digital).....but I'll buy the GOTG boxed set when it comes out, for sure.

EDIT: Oh and the marketing is right, it's the best MCU film since ENDGAME. Come at me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 May 2023 - 12:41 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1025 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 May 2023 - 01:07 PM

I enjoyed the movie but felt the villian was a let down.

#1026 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 May 2023 - 01:17 PM

View PostCause, on 11 May 2023 - 01:07 PM, said:

I enjoyed the movie but felt the villian was a let down.

Wait Whaaaaaaaaat?

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1027 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:34 PM

Also, if Gunn didn't take some DEEP inspiration from a certain little mildly well known Grant Morrison comic...

Spoiler

...I'd be surprised.

And now I'm crying again.

#1028 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:45 PM

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

First thing I did when I got home was to hug my cat and tell it that it's a good cat.

That was a surprisingly dark film. With a very heart warming ending. That Florence and the Machine number was perfectly selected.

#1029 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 14 May 2023 - 08:39 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 May 2023 - 07:45 PM, said:

First thing I did when I got home was to hug my cat and tell it that it's a good cat.

That was a surprisingly dark film. With a very heart warming ending. That Florence and the Machine number was perfectly selected.

Just watched it too. Really enjoyed it, the corridor scene was epic... got the feels numerous times...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1030 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 May 2023 - 04:32 PM

So I've finally got around to Black Panther 2. Or rather a majority of it. We're so sleep deprived we don't watch films in one sitting if they're long, as this one is.

We watched until there's about an hour left and honestly I'm not even sure I can be bothered to finish it. It was ok. Nothing more. None of the things that made me love the first one seemed to be present. Yes it looked pretty but it was just a bit... Rubbish? I dunno, but I'm debating whether to watch the rest of it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1031 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 May 2023 - 04:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 May 2023 - 07:45 PM, said:

[...] most cats view hugging as a form of human-induced torture, pleasurable to the human part of the equation only.

However, some cats do seem to enjoy it. [...]

Cats that enjoy hugs lean into them. They will often purr, headbutt you, and sometimes even drool.

[...] cats that don't like hugs [...] give you signals that they are annoyed. They may lay their ears back, swish their tail[...] Some cats will actually "freeze," leading you to think that they don't mind being hugged, but if you look at them closely, they may have dilated eyes and a stressed expression.

[...] A safe general rule is to immediately let go of any cat that struggles or acts like they don't want to be held, cuddled, or hugged—and be prepared to beg for forgiveness.

Should You Hug Cats? | PetMD

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 May 2023 - 04:50 PM

#1032 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2023 - 04:55 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 May 2023 - 04:32 PM, said:

So I've finally got around to Black Panther 2. Or rather a majority of it. We're so sleep deprived we don't watch films in one sitting if they're long, as this one is.

We watched until there's about an hour left and honestly I'm not even sure I can be bothered to finish it. It was ok. Nothing more. None of the things that made me love the first one seemed to be present. Yes it looked pretty but it was just a bit... Rubbish? I dunno, but I'm debating whether to watch the rest of it.

Yeah, I found it was a decent idea, or a few decent ideas, but the execution was a bit ... meh.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1033 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:14 PM

The only thing the final hour has going for it is that the Black Panther shows up for about 15minutes in the 3rd act....because up till that point the Black Panther superhero didn't show up.

I'm still baffled how anyone thought that a 2hour41minute Black Panther movie would be good when the superhero in question features in a fraction of that long runtime.

Also, please tell me the super dark underwater scenes bugged you guys too!

#1034 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:19 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 May 2023 - 04:55 PM, said:

Yeah, I found it was a decent idea, or a few decent ideas, but the execution was a bit ... meh.

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2023 - 05:14 PM, said:

The only thing the final hour has going for it is that the Black Panther shows up for about 15minutes in the 3rd act....because up till that point the Black Panther superhero didn't show up.

I'm still baffled how anyone thought that a 2hour41minute Black Panther movie would be good when the superhero in question features in a fraction of that long runtime.

I thought it was resoundingly meh in pretty much every respect. I was not bored, I watched the whole thing, I have the vaguest recall of the finale and could not describe a single earlier scene in the movie, and have no drive to see it again. BP1 was the opposite.

#1035 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2023 - 05:14 PM, said:

Aye, water scenes sucked. Compare those to Avatar for instance...

The film was just a long assed tribute film rather than trying to push forward after the tradegy.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1036 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:38 PM

View Postchamp, on 15 May 2023 - 05:19 PM, said:

The film was just a long assed tribute film rather than trying to push forward after the tradegy.

This. It was a Eulogy for Chadwick. Nothing more.

And all the critics that liked it talked almost exclusively about the fact that it was a film about mourning and a tribute and all that and how well it did those things ect....and I'm like, well in all their wallowing in grief for 2.5hrs they forgot to make an entertaining movie with anything memorable in it.

Look, we were all terribly sad about Chadwick leaving us so early...but I feel like he'd have much rather they made an entertaining movie that honoured what he began instead of whatever this was.

And I don't even think they did the mourning/eulogy but right.....I was cold in that flick.

Conversely, I will be talking and remembering about various aspects of GOTG3 for years to come...I think the difference between a good film and a bad one could not be more stark between the two, especially because the premise of GOTG is so ridiculous and out there...and I sobbed in large parts of it....like..

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2023 - 05:43 PM

#1037 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 May 2023 - 06:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2023 - 05:38 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 15 May 2023 - 05:19 PM, said:

This. It was a Eulogy for Chadwick. Nothing more.

And all the critics that liked it talked almost exclusively about the fact that it was a film about mourning and a tribute and all that and how well it did those things ect....and I'm like, well in all their wallowing in grief for 2.5hrs they forgot to make an entertaining movie with anything memorable in it.

Look, we were all terribly sad about Chadwick leaving us so early...but I feel like he'd have much rather they made an entertaining movie that honoured what he began instead of whatever this was.

And I don't even think they did the mourning/eulogy but right.....I was cold in that flick.

Conversely, I will be talking and remembering about various aspects of GOTG3 for years to come...I think the difference between a good film and a bad one could not be more stark between the two, especially because the premise of GOTG is so ridiculous and out there...and I sobbed in large parts of it....like..

If they really wanted to honor his death, they could have made the movie about colon cancer (literally rather than just metaphorically). A superhero who struggles with it like a sort of secret identity. Multiple superheroes---many who take the wrong precautions and die (an almost Thanos-like die-off), others who take the right precautions and live, and the tragic hero who takes all the precautions and still dies young. In the midst of the final battle with the supervillain (other than cancer)---maybe a radioactive supervillain?---cut-aways to the close-ups of the cancer growing through his colon, as he does acrobatics to save the universe....

#1038 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:35 PM

Yeah the underwater scenes were not that great. Considering how vibrant they made Aquaman (despite other issues with that film!)

I'll probably get around to watching the end of it, my wife doesn't care enough haha. We'd just got to the bit where she turned up at the council in the mountains dressed as BP. Which was cool and all but too little too late.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1039 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2023 - 01:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 February 2023 - 03:52 PM, said:

Sounds like ANT-MAN 3 is a dumpster fire...the only Rotten MCU movie besides ETERNALS....the individual reviews are being negative about it pretty mercilessly. Yikes.

EDIT: “But if this is what Phase 5 looks like, God save us from Phases 6, 7 and 8” - Variety

Jeezus. And the writer of ANT-MAN 3 is the writer of the ENDGAME of this arc of the MCU AVENGERS: KANG'S DYNASTY....double yikes.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 February 2023 - 04:18 PM, said:

Probably still watch it when it comes on Disney+ though!

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 February 2023 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 February 2023 - 04:18 PM, said:

Probably still watch it when it comes on Disney+ though!

Oh for sure, but these reviews (I read a bunch of individual ones from reviewers I trust, never take that overall RT score at face value) have basically made me not want to spend the money to see it in theatres, and I had planned to see it on Friday. I'll save the money and wait for D+ streaming.

ANT-MAN 3 showed up on Disney+ on Tuesday so I finally got a chance to watch it.

1. It's not terrible. But it's also not good. It's middling at BEST and at times it drags hard.
2. Watching Jonathan Majors as Kang just feels like a disappointment now with the allegations against him meaning a very likely recasting. So there were whole swathes of the movie that gave me the ick.
3. The crush I developed on Michelle Pfieffer in my youth, is still WILDLY intact. My gods, she looks fantastic in this flick and is arguably my fave performance in it to boot.
4. The whole quantum realm being CGI really makes this feel fakey. Like compare with the very real sets that were merely enhanced by CGI of GOTG3 (even the flesh-station)...and it's night and day. I don't normally complain about CGI....but this movie more than any others shows out that rumour that the VFX crews on MCU movies are terribly overworked and delivering a shoddier product as a result. It should come across as this wonderful colourful alien world...and instead it comes off as sterile and everyone is just on a green screen.
5. MODOK is terribly realized. I dunno who approved his CGI model, but it's not good.
6. Evangeline Lily phones it the fuck in....my gods...I could not fathom anyone looking MORE bored in a role...but here she is. LOST must have been a fluke for her, because she's sterile in this and The HOBBIT.

I don't think it's worth watching to be honest....even free...I certainly don't feel like it advances the MCU in any significant way....but it's tries like hell to BE that important. It WANTS to be an AVENGERS movie...ANT-MAN should be smaller and less "world-crashing" concerned...

#1040 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, I watched it (well, mostly- I was kinda skipping, but I watched most of it). It's not terrible, but there's too much of it, doing too little. Like... butter, spread over too much bread.

Re-casting Kang is going to be hard. Like, they absolutely should, but Jonathan Majors carried that film (although to be fair building him up before he properly appeared was the one thing I felt the film did really well).

On Wakanda Forever: I actually think it did move the plot forward, it just did everything so rapidly that you barely had time to sit with one development before it moved on to the next, so it felt like nothing. Like, Namor had a three-movie arc in one film, which was also carrying the grief for Chadwick Boseman, Shuri's development as a leader (another arc for at least two films crammed into one, because her mother dying should not have been in this movie and loaded a dose of pretend grief onto the real grief), and Ironheart's introduction. It was too much.

Also: Shuri calling Namor Nay-mor even though he introduced himself as Namor directly to her face was fucking stupid.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users