• You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#61 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostD, on 03 October 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

I guess the Whedons felt that the walking-stick-shoots-energy-wave-that-kills-everyone-standing-up didn't get enough viewers in Serenity.

That's where that came from. I knew it was familiar, but couldn't place it.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#62 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Anyone care to speculate about today's episode? We have already have Extrimus, Gamma radiation, Tesseract technology and Super Soldier Serum (SSS>>SS). That leaves us with Asgardian magic, Arc reactor technology or Spy vs Spy.

@Polish-yeah that was the source of my confusion, thanks

#63 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm concerned for tonight's ep.

Whedon and Co. need to bust out some stories VERY soon that impress on their own...since the whole show can't exist solely for the witty dialogue (which is what has kept me watching so far).

They also need to start digging into one or two BIG narrative arcs. You gotta go LOST, BB, or ALIAS right from the outset and give everyone a reason beyond (cool tech, cool chatter) to come back week after week.

I keep hearing that people so far are either "meh" or "just watching "because" so far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#64 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

We thought episode 2 in our house was somewhat shoddy. Cheap looking even. And not that interesting.
I'm personally also beginning to get annoyed at the amount of references to the movies. And to how awesome Cavlery is. Way too much talk and far too little show with her. But still...early days. Though I did like Angel and Buffy straight away mind. I can't comment on Firefly as I saw that after the movie. And I've never seen Dollhouse.

EDIT: Oh and please no more quips about that stupid car of Coulson's. Its the second episode and already its my most hated character. A car. Just behind those two Scottish/English muppets.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 08 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

#65 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not feeling it so far. The first ep was okay, but the second one was very, very average, and in places downright poor.

And yeah, Fitz/Simmons are awful. Not yet come across one person who doesn't think they're bringing it down.

So far of the Autumn shows I'm feeling both Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist more (though I've only seen the first ep of the latter so far). Marvel and Whedon goodwill will keep me in it for now, but it needs to improve.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#66 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

I have to agree. I'm simply not feeling it yet with this show. I mean, I liked the flying car and Jackson's cameo, but so far this show is so not what I expected and it remains to see if I'll actually really like it. I'm with polishgenius on this, Marvel and Whedon goodwill will keep me in it aswell.

Though I do like the lady part of Fitz/Simmons (Though I can never remember which is which), but I suspect it's for reasons entirely different from her acting and role...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#67 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 08 October 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Marvel and Whedon goodwill will keep me in it aswell.

This!

You could say I am somewhat disappointed so far but I guess that was because I was expecting something special. Plenty of series out there grabbed me with the first episode alone, two in and feeling meh.

I've lowered my estimations and just rolling with it!

This post has been edited by champ: 08 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#68 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Blerg.

ep 3 was kind of a lame duck.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#69 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

I actually liked it more than the second ep.

Coulson's a clone/LMD with no muscle memory.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#70 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

Ohhhh! it setup a potential future episode where Graviton will make an appearance. F'ing sexy!

#71 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

I think one of the problems is that once again a show with great potential has been made to appeal to a new and broader fanbase whilst also trying to appeal to the core fans. But in that attempt has then taken away what appealed to the core fans. Or something like that. This is too kiddie friendly, too much family and not enough "We're fucking SHIELD and we'll fuck you up if we have to, to protect everybody"

#72 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

All y'all just need to make the hard decision to commit to watching the show. Go all in. You'll like it; it's a magical place.

Seeing as how it's got maybe two more eps before cancellation, I propose making a drinking game of the remaining episodes. Here's the checklist for this episode.
  • "Funny" hick accents.
  • Cool graphics effects from old old movies and tv shows. (extra points for naming the movie/show. double points once the references pass 5 per ep)
  • Dumb smart people and smart dumb ones.
  • Charity castings of old Whedon friends. (double points for references to the show/movie that the castee was in)
  • Technology named by the scriptwriter's 9 y/o nephew.
  • Simplistic emotions (double points for matching simplistic dialogue. Triple for simplistic dialogue shamelessly lifted from the newphew's english class homework.)
  • Ham handed foreshadowing. (double ponts for foreshadowing of foreshadowing)

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#73 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

It should be moved to Saturday morning (between Saved By the Bell and Scooby Doo Mystery Hour). Also, the attempts at humor are awkward and often cringe worthy.

#74 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'm honestly flabbergasted on how bad they're fucking this up. Like there is massive amounts of source material to look at that does it a hundred different ways and is better than this. The current Secret Avengers is a Shield book and is so vastly superior to this...I'm just lost for words. By all accounts there was money, momentum, and a good creative team behind this. It shouldn't be this bad. Where is the moral intrigue? Where is the classic spy on spy nature of shield? What was the point of using all new characters if they were going to be so boring? Seriously if I was Marvel and ABC I'd hired some comic writers (maybe Nick Spencer, who currently writes Secret Avengers and Morning Glories) because apparently the current writing team doesn't understand how to make the craziness of comics interesting on the screen.

#75 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

I couldn't sleep last night so was flipping VLC through some recent shows.

The shotgun. That's my pick for the shark jump. It's at least the point for me where I stopped trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Spoiler

I wanted this to be a good show. Live action comic book adaptations don't have a good track record. But I thought these people could do it.

Edit: goddamned spell correction

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 12 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

#76 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostGnaw, on 12 October 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

I couldn't sleep last night so was flipping VLC through some recent shows.

The shotgun. That's my pick for the shark jump. It's at least the point for me where I stopped trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Spoiler

I wanted this to be a good show. Live action comic book adaptations don't have a good track record. But I thought these people could do it.

Edit: goddamned spell correction

I noticed that same problem when I was watching. I however let it slide. Unfortunately like the old joke about hoe people today really do think horses hooves sound like coconuts most people assume a shotgun needs pumping. No matter the shotgun, no matter that even pump action shotguns are pumped incorrectly in movies. Its just expected.

#77 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostCause, on 13 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

I noticed that same problem when I was watching. I however let it slide. Unfortunately like the old joke about hoe people today really do think horses hooves sound like coconuts most people assume a shotgun needs pumping. No matter the shotgun, no matter that even pump action shotguns are pumped incorrectly in movies. Its just expected.

I agree. But it's a rather blatant continuity error. I may be using it to rationalize the rising distaste I'm getting, but I have found that when I start focusing on things like that it's usually a sign that the back of my head has decided it doesn't like what I'm watching. When I'm enjoying the show, things like that don't bother me. Lola for example: If SHIELD has maglev or antigrav with a small, powerful energy source why are they fucking around with the "hell" part of HeliCarrier? I was willing to just blow that off as part of their world.

I hope I'm wrong and they get better. They've obviously got the budget needed to make a good show. But special effects won't carry a TV show. YMMV of course.

#78 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostGnaw, on 13 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Lola for example: If SHIELD has maglev or antigrav with a small, powerful energy source why are they fucking around with the "hell" part of HeliCarrier?

I think that may be explained with the fact that Lola is, in essence, a small car whilst a carrier is the size of...a carrier.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 13 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

#79 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Their constant dismissal of
Spoiler
rather has me hoping for a
Spoiler
cameo.

But otherwise, this episode was not a step up from the earlier ones. They have seriously got to pick up their game!

#80 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 October 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Their constant dismissal of
Spoiler
rather has me hoping for a
Spoiler
cameo.

But otherwise, this episode was not a step up from the earlier ones. They have seriously got to pick up their game!

I watched the first two episodes on the night they were aired. The most current episode I watched two days later, so my interest has dropped. I don't know if it is the weak acting or shitty lines or both of those combined. It's like watching the Power Rangers, I have no connection to the show whatsoever.

As to your comment about the cameo, is that even possible. Will those worlds ever combine?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users