• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#41 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Isn't/wasn't Joss only writing the first episode though?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostD, on 25 September 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yes, but Joss surrounds himself with like-minded writers...as Buffy attests to.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm calling two things.

1. Coulson is a Clone. Or a Robot.

2. Melinda May's reason for "not wanting to be in the field" anymore...she was the pilot of the plane that launched the Nuke in AVENGERS.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Considering Nick fury was against number 2 I don't think that'll be the reason for May.

caught the first episode, wonder how long they'll ride the Tahiti thing.
It was ok, a decent set up for the crew, I'm glad its not about a team of supers smashing shit up every week, it seems its going to be about humanities answers to the powers manifesting all over the place. I'll give it a shot, the first episode was slow but by necessity to set the whole thing up.

#45 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

I liked it very much -- in fact, I loved it -- but it did seem like a Fringe episode from around season 2. I hope they move on from that, the larger arcs that seemed to be in play will quickly differentiate it from other shows, I'm hoping. But if they need to use the existing universe that the films fans are aware of to tie in events, that will get old quickly. The clunky callout to 'Romanov' as the only recognisable spy skills benchmark was painful.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Second episode.

Decent. A team builder ep.

A bit predictable though. The dialogue is again what helps it win through for me...

That and the last surprise scene:

Spoiler

Also, When they showed Sky her new "bunk" on the plane...I want a bunk like that. I dunno why.

#47 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 September 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostD, on 25 September 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yes, but Joss surrounds himself with like-minded writers...as Buffy attests to.

Including his brother Jed, and Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen, whom I both love as writers from Dr Horrible (both with cameos too!) Plus Jed Whedon has a really chilled album called "The History of Forgotten Things" which I realise as I write this is completely irrelevant to the rest of the thread so I won't mention it again.

Already know I am going to love this show. First ep, while possibly suffering from stuff all mentioned previously, was entertaining and I think the team has really good dynamics. Mr Super Soldier and Ms Computer Hacker in a Van lady will no doubt hate each other but end up together. As will sexy British science girl and amusing Scottish engineer chap.

Intruiged by May as well as the Tahiti/"He Doesn't Know" thing. ALSO, FLIPPING SHEPHERD BOOK WAS IN IT!! Seriously hoping for other Firefly cameos too. (Summer Glau, oh hells yeah!)

In Joss we trust indeed...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#48 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ok so the "Phil is a robot" hypothesis is out, the scene with him bleeding killed that.....

New hypothesis....."they saved him with Khan's blood".

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostBubba, on 02 October 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Ok so the "Phil is a robot" hypothesis is out, the scene with him bleeding killed that.....

New hypothesis....."they saved him with Khan's blood".

Robots can bleed. Cylons.

#50 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

He survived by sipping margaritas and listening to Jimmy Buffet in Tahiti. "It's a magical place". Now he has the zen dudeness power of calm and can chillax his way around any situation.

#51 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

Pretty sure it has something to do with Asgard as with continued use of 'it's a magical place'. Nick Fury cameo is easily the best part of the show so far. Kind of disappointed that they don't have ONE character from the comics on the team, literally dozens of characters could be on the show but they decide to make new ones? Why? Also it annoys me because eventually they're going to show up in the comics (which isn't a inherently bad thing but really none of the characters are all that interesting!) and have priority over comic characters. Basically where is my Jimmy Woo and Mockingbird and Misty Knight! Other than that it's always bothered me that Shield (in the comics as well, but they do a touch better), despite being an international organization, has agents who are always white or american, not a deal breaker but it does take me out of the show.

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

The fact that the other agents know and aren't really freaked out about it makes me less likely to think it's a brand new Coulsen (a la cloning) but rather he either went somewhere really weird to get healed (Asgard) or some as yet unseen was used on him.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#53 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

I guess the Whedons felt that the walking-stick-shoots-energy-wave-that-kills-everyone-standing-up didn't get enough viewers in Serenity.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 03 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#54 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

The Cavalry thing Im sure is from the comics, I think the name of the person who is the cavalry has changed though

I have watched two episodes and while its not bad my thoughts run along similiar lines to the rest of you. We can only stomach so many clunky references to the movies before that bridge is burnt completely. Hell in the first episode alone we have one guy hooked up to extremis, gamma radiation and I forget what else. The second episode has a teseract weapon!

My biggest complaint though is the show seems to have a very specific target audience in mind and its clearly adolescent teen males. I would have expected them to try to hook in male and females aged 10-30 or even broader but that does not seem to be the case. The shows seems very dumbed down and simple in its characterization, plots and action so far.

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

As is usually with his shows, Whedon's TV usually take a number of first season eps to establish itself and get REALLY going.

I hope the same is true here.

DOLLHOUSE, for example, didn't get properly going till near the end of Season 1. But once it did, it fired on all pistons.

So yeah, fingers crossed.

Cause is right, they can only milk the movies for references for a few eps before that's going to get old.

#56 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Second ep was ok, setting up the teams dynamic and proving me right that mai had.nothing tk do with new York.

#57 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Cavalry was a team part of the Avengers: Initiative according to wikipedia, and I read that comic and only two of them (Thor Girl and Ultragirl) showed up with any kind of regulatory. As a single costumed hero, I'm pretty sure one never existed in the main marvel universe. It's be cool if they started a kind of '50 state initiative' storyline but I doubt Melinda May has any connection to the team from the comics.

#58 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostCause, on 04 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

The Cavalry thing Im sure is from the comics, I think the name of the person who is the cavalry has changed though

The name of the person changed from the original draft of the script. Like Studlock says, I don't think there's been any individual hero called that.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#59 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

After watching a couple of episodes of Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes today I realized I'd love to see a place like the Vault or the Raft on this show
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#60 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Also, When they showed Sky her new "bunk" on the plane...I want a bunk Sky like that. I dunno why.

Fixed that for you.

Ref your spoiler
Spoiler

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users