• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#101 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

With each passing week and episode, the writing gets better and better...and they have now spent two straight weeks on depth character stuff...this week even gave us a two-fer with Coulson questioning himself and wondering about his time in Tahiti and his death...and then the absolutely STELLAR stuff between Jemma and Fitz (which was easily the standout). Before this they were basically a team-Q....but now as we dip into their personal feelings (Fitz liking Skye, but Jemma clearly crushing on Fitz) it strengthens the team dynamic. So by the time the end of the ep rolled around and...

Spoiler

...I actually pumped my fist in the air. I went from being lukewarm on this show with the first two eps, to fucking loving it this week at Ep 6.

As always, you have to trust Joss to do the slow build and take you somewhere awesome.

Amph has the right of it, it's definitely BUFFY mixed with (I'd say) ALIAS...and that's not a bad thing.

But Amph, you're nuts if you think Coulson will go anywhere. He's Giles in this show...he's not going anywhere I guarantee you.

This show has officially made me into a fanboy...tumblr-ing Gifs and what-have-you.

Oh, and lastly: Also announced this weekend from Marvel Studios is the first real TV/feature film tie-in. The November 19 episode of Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. will follow-up on Thor: The Dark World. The episode, titled “The Well” and directed by Jonathan Frakes, is described by Marvel like this:

“In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces – one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.”

I really do like the fact that Marvel is smart enough to keep the TV series and the film phases paying attention to each other on this level. It really helps them build their entertainiment wing into something worthy of paying attention to...

...meanwhile DC comics continues to absolutely fuck up their own internal entertainment continuity in such things (with the Dark Knight Films, MAN OF STEEL, ARROW, and SMALLVILLE all happening in totally different, unconnectable universes...sigh)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#102 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

So yeah, as mentioned above...SHIELD had it's first fully gif-worthy moment last night.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#103 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Am only two eps in and liking, but ducking spoilers so i can't contribute much more than so far i am entertained and liking all the little refs to the films.
Coulson is awesome, Mae is close, everyone else... they'll grow on me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#104 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 November 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Am only two eps in and liking, but ducking spoilers so i can't contribute much more than so far i am entertained and liking all the little refs to the films.

Yep. Like most Joss shows, the character stuff is rather slow burn to begin with...but the pay off seems to be having the desired effect, on me anyways.

Oh and I would like to point out that my theory about Mae having been the person in the pilot seat of the Nuke fighter from AVENGERS could still pan out, since it appears that with AGENTS OF SHIELD and CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER are starting to prove that SHIELD as we know it through Nick Fury and Coulson is FAR different as you go further up the authority-line to folk like Robert Redford (in CAP 2), and The Man In Black from LOST (who showed up last night as a SHIELD higher up)...so I can totally see them having a military strike option in place had the AVENGERS failed to stop/destroy the Chitauri invasion. It would have only made sense. So yeah, I still think Mae was that pilot.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

#105 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Yep. Like most Joss shows, the character stuff is rather slow burn to begin with...but the pay off seems to be having the desired effect, on me anyways.

Oh and I would like to point out that my theory about Mae having been the person in the pilot seat of the Nuke fighter from AVENGERS could still pan out, since it appears that with AGENTS OF SHIELD and CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER are starting to prove that SHIELD as we know it through Nick Fury and Coulson is FAR different as you go further up the authority-line to folk like Robert Redford (in CAP 2), and The Man In Black from LOST (who showed up last night as a SHIELD higher up)...so I can totally see them having a military strike option in place had the AVENGERS failed to stop/destroy the Chitauri invasion. It would have only made sense. So yeah, I still think Mae was that pilot.

Doesn't line up with the refs to Bangladesh and The Cavalry, but it's possible.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#106 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Doesn't line up with the refs to Bangladesh and The Cavalry, but it's possible.

The Cavalry is still a nebulous, un-described term as far as the show is concerned though. We just know she was part of some team, and her training originated with that team. Aside from that, there is no reason the Cavalry (the Marvel comic version of them is a one-off superhero team, so that doesn't really fit with this TV incarnation) couldn't be a military team sent in as backup when things look grim. So that's kind of where I'm coming from on it. But yeah, I could still be off base. But until I'm shown otherwise, I'm cool with my theory. :)

#107 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

IIRC, the pilot had a much more masculine voice than Mae has.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#108 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostD, on 06 November 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Fair point. :)

My theories rarely pan out anyways, they are always crazy.

#109 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

Orrrr, these characters are about to get a much juicier backstory...

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#110 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostD, on 06 November 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Orrrr, these characters are about to get a much juicier backstory...

Which I would quite prefer actually. Especially Mae as she and Coulson have the most mysterious pasts.

#111 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Maybe the problem is not your theories then... :p
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#112 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have never been under the impression that I myself am anything but crazy. It's all good. :)

#113 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

The man in black? You mean Agent Blake? Played by the excellent TItus Welliver? I'm not convinced he's a SHIELD "higher up" more than he's Coulson's colleague working on the HQ side of things.

#114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 November 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

The man in black? You mean Agent Blake? Played by the excellent TItus Welliver? I'm not convinced he's a SHIELD "higher up" more than he's Coulson's colleague working on the HQ side of things.

Indeed, the actor's name had slipped my mind.

Oh yeah? Entirely possible. He seemed like he was above Coulson though at the end in the last scene where he said he could pull him off his team....even though Coulson challenged him. But yeah, he may not be all that high up.

#115 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Actually he didn't say that, he specifically said "Someone might decide to take this little dream team away from you"

The way their chat went, with them both acknowledging that their ealier conversation over radio wasn't private. So I reckon they're on the same level with "higher up" supervision.

#116 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 November 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Actually he didn't say that, he specifically said "Someone might decide to take this little dream team away from you"

The way their chat went, with them both acknowledging that their ealier conversation over radio wasn't private. So I reckon they're on the same level with "higher up" supervision.

I stand corrected. :)

#117 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 06 November 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I stand corrected. :)

Well, from the preview of next week's episode we we may see some higher ups soon anyways - they're going to level 8!

#118 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

The problem I see with Coulson is that other than his Tahiti mystery, there is nowhere for his character to develop. He's already as high as he can go in the organization without losing his field agent status and he's already explored most of the world. He's primed for a heroic sacrifice or lateral move out, which is why May is there - to provide the home base for Skye's leadership efforts.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#119 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 November 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

The problem I see with Coulson is that other than his Tahiti mystery, there is nowhere for his character to develop. He's already as high as he can go in the organization without losing his field agent status and he's already explored most of the world. He's primed for a heroic sacrifice or lateral move out, which is why May is there - to provide the home base for Skye's leadership efforts.

Oh yeah, I get that...but again, he's Giles. Giles didn't develop beyond what he was, father figure / teacher...through 7 seasons of BUFFY. That's what I see with Coulson personally. and part of that is because I LOVE Clark Gregg...he's just such an awesome actor with sublime delivery. :)

#120 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 November 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

Good to know about the Thor tie in ep. I kept saying I thought it would have something or atleast someone cameo from the film. It just wouldn't make sense NOT to capitalize on that...

Yeah, and the rumour is that the season finale will basically be the prologue that sets up CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER...as long as these story connections are good, and the films continue to do well, then Marvel really IS in a golden age of their TV/film entertainment.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users