Malazan Empire: ASSAIL - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First

ASSAIL Aka ICE 5: The Culminating Convergence SPOILERS!!!!

#121 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

I'm wondering if I should just stop reading this. I'm liking it so far, and I'm not sure reading an incomplete book like this is a good move...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#122 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

I know what you mean.

Also I wouldnt worry about the lack of name recognition in the DP. Sometimes theyre not in there at all, sometimes a different name suffices throughout the book. Id prefer some Assail entities rather than known gods meddling.

#123 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Doesn't it open up a window that lets you flip through the book?

#124 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostApt Hoc, on 22 July 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Yeh but only up to the end of chapter one I think with the prologue included. Its missing scattered pages aswell but also shows the glossary later.

#125 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

View Posttiam, on 22 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostApt Hoc, on 22 July 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Yeh but only up to the end of chapter one I think with the prologue included. Its missing scattered pages aswell but also shows the glossary later.

If you log in it lets you read through passages from way into the book, I red up to like page 164 fragments before I thought I might better save this shit for when I get the full book.

And I'll reinforce what I said earlier, I'm liking what I read. But then again I also liked Blood & Bone very much, so I'm probably not the sample malazanite in this instance...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#126 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I believe the majority of the book is there, but with random pages missing. Some of the missing chunks are larger than others; many are a page or two but I see that pages 347-428 are missing, and there may be more gaps like that.

#127 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Its not a complete DP. All the even pages are redacted. But also, many gods are now dead.

I work for NPR so I used my connections to procure an early e-book copy myself (not sure how ethical this is, but I already preordered it anyway) and I'm about halfway through it right now. Its actually really fun and really good and I'm enjoying the living fuck out of it right now. I have no issue with anything, except for maybe a little too much redundancy in clothing descriptions and some really wooden dialog. And Pat will know what I'm talking about here - but there is a romantic pairing of two very familiar characters that has seriously come out of nowhere and carries no weight whatsoever.

Other than that, the varied story lines are progressing nicely, the mystery is palpable, I'm invested in the new characters and their arcs, and I think if there was any more to the Silverfox storyline, it would be too much. So far its a good book, with a lot of traveling characters who are about as ignorant of what's happening as we are, and even Kyle comes off as pretty badass. Fans will love it, ICE critics will still have ammo, and AFAIAC, I'm excited to see where it ends.

Also its really nice to have a FIsher Kel Tath POV.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#128 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Wasn't going to mention the romance bit until my review, but now the cat is out of the bag. . .

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#129 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

It's fun how the publisher is all concerned about not letting out any kind of information and then they reveal most of the book including map and everything else.

Anyway, a more approximate wordcount for this book is 208k, basically same size if GotM (yeah, kind of short by Malazan standards).

Rest was:

Night of Knives: 88k
Return of the Crimson Guard: 278k
Stonewielder: 237k
Orb Sceptre Throne: 222k
Blood and Bone: 230k

This post has been edited by Abalieno: 23 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#130 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 22 July 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

And Pat will know what I'm talking about here - but there is a romantic pairing of two very familiar characters that has seriously come out of nowhere and carries no weight whatsoever.

KyleXCartheron forever!!! :p

This post has been edited by D'rek: 23 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#131 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostD, on 23 July 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

And Pat will know what I'm talking about here - but there is a romantic pairing of two very familiar characters that has seriously come out of nowhere and carries no weight whatsoever.

KyleXCartheron forever!!! ^_^

Well, our Old Guard homeboy does tend to carry a little weight...
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#132 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 23 July 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Cartheron's a total playa, never doubt.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#133 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Of course he is! He's a sailor man!

#134 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 23 July 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Of course he is! He's a sailor man!

Filthy buggers.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#135 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Assail is a long-form metaphor for Fleet Week.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#136 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Holy...Shit...

I've never felt so satisfied after reading an ICE novel.

You all are going to LOVE this book.

#137 User is offline   Gorgon 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 26 July 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Holy...Shit...

Seriously on a rating of one to ten bearing in mind I've loved every book including ost and bab how much am I going to enjoy this?
Very well, permit me if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more.

#138 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:34 AM

Holy...Shit...

So obviously the book itself is satisfying. How does it feel as the conclusion to ICE's series? Does it make other books in the series feel more satisfying in hindsight, perhaps by elucidating on previous events?

EDIT: Is "The Blood Range" map the only one we get? Is it just me or have the maps become less satisfying?

This post has been edited by Defiance: 27 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#139 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostDefiance, on 27 July 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

EDIT: Is "The Blood Range" map the only one we get? Is it just me or have the maps become less satisfying?

My blog page has the two of them: http://loopingworld....map-collection/

But yes, both covers & maps have become worse, and this includes even Erikson's side. It's just less and less publisher effort on these books.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#140 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostGorgon, on 26 July 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

Seriously on a rating of one to ten bearing in mind I've loved every book including ost and bab how much am I going to enjoy this?

If your love of OST and BaB were, say, a 6, then Assail will render at least an 8. I myself, will score it this way:

Quality of writing: 4
Central plot: 7
Side plots: 7 (some of ICE's best ideas, but I wish they were just a bit more fleshed out)
New Characters + development: 7
Old Characters + faithfulness to past renderings: 8
Climax/Convergence: 9 (this is actually a difficult thing to put together, so I based it off a specific scene)
Large-scale battles: 9
Adherence to themes: 9
Delivering on expectations: 8
Surprises: 9
Sheer Fantasy Joy: 9

Holy...Shit...

So obviously the book itself is satisfying. How does it feel as the conclusion to ICE's series? Does it make other books in the series feel more satisfying in hindsight, perhaps by elucidating on previous events?

Oh god yes. In ways I never expected. Some pretty awesome callbacks.
And it absolutely feels like a conclusion. It doesn't tie everything up in pretty little bows, but it feels *final*.

My copy didn't have maps, but on the look inside preview there was a map of the portions of Assail north of Bael. I don't really have a problem with the maps. Carping on their quality or lack thereof isn't really my bag. They serve their purpose.

Of course y'all, there are going to be people who can never be satisfied. ICE ain't Hemingway and to expect that would be silly. ASSAIL doesn't come off like some brilliant piece of prose, but its way more immediately satisfying than BaB or OST. Those two always felt like side-trips, even though, yes, I liked them as well. Give me anything based in this universe, don't include demon chickens, and I'm happy.

In fact, you know what? Throw in a demon chicken. What the hell do I care?

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 28 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users