Malazan Empire: ASSAIL - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First

ASSAIL Aka ICE 5: The Culminating Convergence SPOILERS!!!!

#141 User is offline   Gorgon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

See this is getting me all happy again regarding assail, glad you felt the ending was fitting.
I rated ost an 8 and blood and bone 6.5
Very well, permit me if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more.

#142 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Holy shit. This is the first time I found a book early at Barnes and Noble

#143 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

I read and liked this book for the most part. I will just throw in one complaint: not enough (any really) Iron Bars going batshit insane on bad guys. They made such a big deal of him getting rescued in Stonweilder that I thought he would have a more central role other than smooching Shimmer.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#144 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostEddie Dean, on 10 August 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I read and liked this book for the most part. I will just throw in one complaint: not enough (any really) Iron Bars going batshit insane on bad guys. They made such a big deal of him getting rescued in Stonweilder that I thought he would have a more central role other than smooching Shimmer.

I feel like his best scene in the series was sort of an "oh by the way bars is here and he can fuck some shit up while hes here" in Lether. He seems like such a badass and we see so little of him actually doing badass stuff it gets annoying.

#145 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

View Posttheocean, on 11 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I feel like his best scene in the series was sort of an "oh by the way bars is here and he can fuck some shit up while hes here" in Lether. He seems like such a badass and we see so little of him actually doing badass stuff it gets annoying.

He did go off on one of the Shaars iirc.

But part of the point is that he's nearly broken by Assail, then Leth and then the Wall. I admit i also wanted to see him have a crowning moment of awesome, preferably kicking Skinner's ass, but the way his storyline played out didn't bother me. The romance with Shimmer did round him out a bit from the hardcase we've seen to date.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#146 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 August 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

But part of the point is that he's nearly broken by Assail, then Leth and then the Wall. I admit i also wanted to see him have a crowning moment of awesome, preferably kicking Skinner's ass, but the way his storyline played out didn't bother me. The romance with Shimmer did round him out a bit from the hardcase we've seen to date.

He didnt even really do to much to the Shaars though, he recongnized him, sounded the alarm, then went swimming.
Yea i like the avowed sort of looking more like humans again, but not bars. Bars should be a machine of chaos with bodies in his wake at all times. He should be a juggernaut, an unstoppale force of destruction for all who dare stand before him. Instead hes just shimmers booty call basically.

#147 User is offline   bonesword 

• Recruit

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

View Posttheocean, on 11 August 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

He didnt even really do to much to the Shaars though, he recongnized him, sounded the alarm, then went swimming.
Yea i like the avowed sort of looking more like humans again, but not bars. Bars should be a machine of chaos with bodies in his wake at all times. He should be a juggernaut, an unstoppale force of destruction for all who dare stand before him. Instead hes just shimmers booty call basically.

^ agreed with you
he should be another icarium in human body

#148 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

View Postbonesword, on 11 August 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

^ agreed with you
he should be another icarium in human body

Yea man when they first show him hes fucking up gods left and right. I mean he took down like three/four gods in one chapter and now hes getting thrown over board off a boat like goldie hawn.

on a side note this is on the malazan WIKI Iron Bars killed Rhulad Sengar making him even stronger.

Did he grow stronger every time he was killed? Was he part saijin?

#149 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Well shit, guess it's evacuate the thread til the 14th and the UK kindle release date then.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#150 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

View Posttheocean, on 11 August 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Yea man when they first show him hes fucking up gods left and right. I mean he took down like three/four gods in one chapter and now hes getting thrown over board off a boat like goldie hawn.

on a side note this is on the malazan WIKI Iron Bars killed Rhulad Sengar making him even stronger.

Errr... Did you read the books with Rhulad in them? Don't really want to spoil it for you as it's a kind of important character arc if you didn't...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#151 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 11 August 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Well shit, guess it's evacuate the thread til the 14th and the UK kindle release date then.

Jeez Illy... Apologies if any of that was me, but I figured most people bailed as soon as the first few copies showed up. This is pretty typical.Spoiler warning added to topic title.

#152 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostObdigore, on 12 August 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

View Posttheocean, on 11 August 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Errr... Did you read the books with Rhulad in them? Don't really want to spoil it for you as it's a kind of important character arc if you didn't...

Yea i know he came back to life every time, but i didnt recall them saying he gained strength every time he was killed. Just that he lived again.

#153 User is offline   Auburnboss 

• Recruit

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Is Assail something you could just pick up and read? I've only read through Deadhouse Gates, starting on MOI, but the description of Assail seems really interesting. Would it be just too out of sync to read it without having read all books before it?

Thanks,
Brian

#154 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostAuburnboss, on 17 August 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Is Assail something you could just pick up and read? I've only read through Deadhouse Gates, starting on MOI, but the description of Assail seems really interesting. Would it be just too out of sync to read it without having read all books before it?

Thanks,
Brian

You'd be missing large chunks of the world story and many characters' specific backstorys. It's do-able sure but it can't say I recommend it. I suggest continuing thru MoI and the rest of the books in published order. MoI especially is pretty awesome.

#155 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

If you've completed clown college and are now seeking a good thesis for your clown master's degree, this would be the way to go, but otherwise stick to the normal order.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#156 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostAuburnboss, on 17 August 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Thanks,
Brian

I think you would get lost.. I think the book refernces a lot of stuff or assumes that you know a lot of the stuff in telling the story. No need to jump ahead, it will still be there and be just as interesting when the rest of the series is read by you.

#157 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

He does happen to be part of the Agatii which not many can say.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#158 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostCapedCrusader, on 19 August 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Exactly, which is why i need to see more ass kicking and less taking names from the iron one.

#159 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Posttheocean, on 21 August 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

View PostCapedCrusader, on 19 August 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Exactly, which is why i need to see more ass kicking and less taking names from the iron one.

You know, everybody always anticipates action from Iron Bars, but one big dissapointment for me in the Crimsong Guard story arc is Blues. In GotM the first real Crimson Guard action is Blues unleashing twin swords fury on Adjunct Lorn. Ever since then I have been waiting for him to pick up the blades again, but he never did.

#160 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yah I tend to agree the CG didn't see nearly enough action. Corlo also didn't make this trip for some reason, and it's strange he would ever leave IB's side after SW. Also in terms of legendary CG fighters, we got to see Lazar in SW but we pretty much never see Halfdan do anything.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users