Malazan Empire: ASSAIL - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

ASSAIL Aka ICE 5: The Culminating Convergence SPOILERS!!!!

#81 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

and a map!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#82 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Please please give me a Mok story... I've had plenty of answers on many things, but apart from baudin he's the one story I need conclusion to. I trust ICE can do it. Please give me a tale of the fallen 3rd

#83 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

View Posteiji, on 03 August 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Please please give me a Mok story... I've had plenty of answers on many things, but apart from baudin he's the one story I need conclusion to. I trust ICE can do it. Please give me a tale of the fallen 3rd

Baudin is sorted in MOI thought :p or at least confrimed what he's now doing :p

#84 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Ok accepted on baudin but still I thought he would have a bigger role

#85 User is offline   Bentract 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Any chance Whiteblade is Traveller... you all seem unanimously in favour of it being Kyle and this forum is not usually unanimous about anything.

#86 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Vengeance/Grief (the sword, not the poster) isn't white, as far as I know.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#87 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostAverage Ben, on 15 August 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Any chance Whiteblade is Traveller... you all seem unanimously in favour of it being Kyle and this forum is not usually unanimous about anything.

View PostKanese S, on 15 August 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

The Kyle-Assail connection is pretty solid, and he's been carrying Osserc's shiny white sword since RCG. Can't see many other likely options.

...tho that doesn't mean we may not see Traveller become involved somehow, tho i'm figuring he's sidelined with the Seguleh until the Toblakai Trilogy gets rolling.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#88 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostAverage Ben, on 15 August 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

View PostKanese S, on 15 August 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

The Kyle-Assail connection is pretty solid, and he's been carrying Osserc's shiny white sword since RCG. Can't see many other likely options.

...tho that doesn't mean we may not see Traveller become involved somehow, tho i'm figuring he's sidelined with the Seguleh until the Toblakai Trilogy gets rolling.

Agreed especially given there relationship in TTH. As the Seguleh are the only force capable of stopping the TTT hordes it will be a very interesting dynamic. We have no idea of number but maybe one will massively outnumber the other. I only say this as the fighting styles dont gel very well with the Seguleh parrying/disabling limbs techniques vs brute strength of TTT ala Karsa in the Letherii training grounds. Cant wait for it though some more info on Assail would be good.

#89 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Kyle's sword was always referred to as pale yellow or golden. Of course pale yellow is very close to white, and when something glows, it can be considered white. I still think its Kyle.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#90 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 15 August 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Kyle's sword was always referred to as pale yellow or golden. Of course pale yellow is very close to white, and when something glows, it can be considered white. I still think its Kyle.

I'm not sure why thiers any speculation on this Whiteblade it seemed inevitably plausible to me that it would be Kyle. The connection with Coots, Badlands and Stalker were enough to convince me, let alone his sword. It wouldn't make any sense for it to be anyone else.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#91 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think the tendency is to remember Kyle as a member of the Crimson Guard because that's how we were introduced to him. And because he served as Greymane's Adjunct in SW, he acted very singularly, but he was indeed for all intents and purposes a Malazan. I think most people are convinced it's Kyle, though there are a few here and on the facebook page (which I just found out is admin'd by this forum's Caladan Brood. Not like I know who that is, but because of that Brood is asking to be banned post, he's kinda famous) that are still questioning whether its him or not.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#92 User is offline   YouSikFuk 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

i'm considering
what if this Assail book is going to be a prelude to the events of toblakai trilogy ( maybe karsa went mad and decided to go on Assail looking for his kind or something)
A : YOU SIK FUK!!
B : yes sire?

#93 User is offline   The Crowned Evader 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostYouSikFuk, on 18 August 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

i'm considering
what if this Assail book is going to be a prelude to the events of toblakai trilogy ( maybe karsa went mad and decided to go on Assail looking for his kind or something)

I read somewhere once, can't remember when but it was before TMBOTF had been completed, that Assail would act as a kind of coda/epilogue to the main series, so who knows.
I'd be surprised if there is a Karsa connection but with this series one never knows what to expect.

#94 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

On my 2nd read through of the series and now on MoI just got to the part with Lanas Tog. That first mention of Assail is so cool. If I would have known on my first read through just how long id have to wait to see the final culmination of this scene I would have been devestated. Assail sounds so cool.

#95 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

You know what would be awesome? If Erikson wrote the book instead of Esslemont! :(

#96 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 28 August 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

You know what would be awesome? If Erikson wrote the book instead of Esslemont! :)

I agree. I enjoy ICE's books I really do, all bar OST of course. I keep imagining how good his books would have been if Erikson would have written them. The difference between Erikson's Seguleh and Esslemont's Seguleh is staggering. Where Mok, Thurule and Senu come across as being an entire army of KCCM killing machine's. ICE's Seguleh come across as being just . . . meh . . .

I imagine that ICE's books will definitely grow on a second read, although OST is the only one I don't look forward to.

This post has been edited by Grimjazz: 30 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

#97 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostOveractive Imagination, on 28 August 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

You know what would be awesome? If Erikson wrote the book instead of Esslemont! :(

No, I personally think thats a pretty horrible thing to say. Imagine if GRR Martin came along and wrote The Crippled God. Or Stephen King wrote the last Harry Potter. Its incredibly disrespectful to want SE to write teh last book of ICE's series just because SE hyped it up in one of his own books. ICE has Assail, not SE. As it should be.

#98 User is offline   Menes Kol Kronski 

• Recruit

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I don't think it's Clip tho, didn't Nimander mention that Clip was in a cell beneath Black Coral? Well he did say that he could leave at any time but he chose to remain there....
Blind Galan? Hmmm well since we don't really know what happened to him, i always thought he was dead, but we might see that in the Kharkanas trio.
Draconus and Silchas are both alright, but maybe it's Spinnock Durav? He talked with Rake about Assail once, so it might be that he chose to investigate it, but something happened along the way and well... there he was.

#99 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Tor posted a Q&A with ICE....

http://www.tor.com/b...guard-questions

...note in particular his plan to be done with ASSAIL by the end of the year.

Not sure if this has been said already, but latest from Amazon.co.uk is that the release date for 'Assail' is now 27 March 2014...which makes 2013 the first entirely Malazan-free year for almost a decade :)
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#100 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 16 September 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Tor posted a Q&A with ICE....

http://www.tor.com/b...guard-questions

...note in particular his plan to be done with ASSAIL by the end of the year.

Not sure if this has been said already, but latest from Amazon.co.uk is that the release date for 'Assail' is now 27 March 2014...which makes 2013 the first entirely Malazan-free year for almost a decade :)

I haven't bought a book for ages! I have just been re reading all of my current series. This was one book I was looking forward to buying!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users