Malazan Empire: Have you been to...? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Have you been to...? Travel - what was good to do where?

#81 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

View PostCause, on 19 March 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

Will be in Japan in one Month!

Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Hokane

Where should I go, what should I see, What should I buy?

Go to a proper bath house for one. I'd recommend this one in Kyoto http://www.kurama-on...p/index_e.html. It's up in the hills, in a small village. The half hour or so train ride is worth it alone.

In Tokyo we had a great night at the Golden Gai area in Shinjuku. It's packed with tiny pubs amongst tiny streets. Not all of the pubs are open for foreigners, but that's part of the charm.

If you haven't ordered your hotels yet I'd suggest spending at least one night at a Ryokan, an old style japanese inn.

Eat and drink whatever they recommend at the restaurant! It's always delicious, if sometimes a little strange.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#82 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

Goint to the Mt view Ryoken in Hokane. The pictures of the room, food and baths look amazing! I'm already planning to buy a Yukata!

Otherwise will be staying at Air BnBs. They say Japan is an expensive destination but by booking our own rooms, train rides and tour attractions we spent less than half og what the travel agents or contiki tours quoted us.

#83 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

All good Japan advice. If you've not booked your travel yet a stop over at Himeji castle on the way to Hiroshima is well worth it.

Also make sure you find out what the local specialties are and try them, each Japanese region is very proud of it's food.

The robot restaurant in Tokyo is one of the strangest things you'll see but worth doing. Also a trip to odiaba in Tokyo is fascinating for a glimpse at the arcade culture.

If you are in Hiroshima miyajima is worth the visit, an old shrine with an island full of deer which just roam the streets.

Otherwise make sure you visit the gardens that are in season for your visit, many are designed to peak at specific times of year and are most impressive when viewed in season.

Osaka was of comparably less interest than the other cities, I wouldn't spend too long there, I preferred nearby Kobe (mainly for Kobe beef best meal I've ever had)

#84 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

What place is most like Spirited Away?

#85 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 22 March 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Studio Ghibli musuem

#86 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostCause, on 22 March 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 22 March 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Studio Ghibli musuem

SCHWATH????

#87 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostCause, on 20 March 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

I tried.

I think he has not visited the forum in a long while.

There are ways to get a hold of him in great times of need. If one but asks the powers that be.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#88 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

bloody visa applications.

got my application back, I had made 2/3 errors on it, so had to resubmit.

one big thing on it was it says must have return flights out of the uk, my flights are out of dublin.
However my friend used the same service and has had 2 visas granted flying out of dublin, so what the fuck??

resubmitted with a little note attached

#89 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

bloody visa applications.

got my application back, I had made 2/3 errors on it, so had to resubmit.

one big thing on it was it says must have return flights out of the uk, my flights are out of dublin.
However my friend used the same service and has had 2 visas granted flying out of dublin, so what the fuck??

resubmitted with a little note attached

did the note read "Stop fucking with me you asshats."?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#90 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Yes

#91 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

anyway.

Regarding travel in china, do I prebook trains or is that stuff relatively handy and last minute it on site?

#92 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

anyway.

Regarding travel in china, do I prebook trains or is that stuff relatively handy and last minute it on site?

My brother always prebooks when he goes there for business.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 March 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

anyway.

My brother always prebooks when he goes there for business.

^^This. My aunt does the same thing. You can avoid a lot of headaches this way apparently.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#94 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

and now the royal fucking mail.

home from work this evening to find my latter returned, unopened royal mail unable to deliver because : refused.

well fuck royalmail and visaforchina company, you've just lost my business, Im going to go with the more expensive company that actually answers their fucking phone and replies to emails

#95 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

So what does one need when travelling abroad? For the typical day to day exploring I mean.

I'm gonna take a backpack, a water bottle, light snack, Ill be taking my phone and have arranged for a local sim card (maps, gps, google translate), I want to get one of those passport/ plane ticket/ money wallets things (Apparently a passport can get you out of tax at most stores and you need to show it for trains and hotels). Anything really obvious I'm missing?

#96 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostCause, on 03 April 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

So what does one need when travelling abroad? For the typical day to day exploring I mean.

I'm gonna take a backpack, a water bottle, light snack, Ill be taking my phone and have arranged for a local sim card (maps, gps, google translate), I want to get one of those passport/ plane ticket/ money wallets things (Apparently a passport can get you out of tax at most stores and you need to show it for trains and hotels). Anything really obvious I'm missing?

When you say backpack, I'd advise the "daypack" variety, which is smaller and just for essentials. It will mean a MUCH less sore back from carrying stuff around (and is general just a good item to have in your possession).

I have a Pacsafe shoulder bag that I've travelled with all over Europe and elsewhere with, and it's pretty much theft proof and holds MOST of my daypack style gear (I bring this when I don't need a whole daypack). My wife has one too, and we both adore them. It holds my DSLR camera, water bottle, and the little front pocket (all the pockets lock) I use to hold my my important documents like wallet, Passport ect., and other pockets for maps, and odds and ends. It's deceptively small, but I get a lot of use out of it.

Sidebar: I was on the Barcelona transit with my wife and these "street musicians" were "scamming" their way up the train cars pretending to play for people, but full on pickpocketing instead...and they saw our pacsafe bags and ignored us entirely. So even the name I think scares off the ne'erdowells.

You can get daypacks from Pacsafe too but they run up in cost to $120 or more usually...still, a great investment if you'll do a lot of travelling. You probably don't need anything north of 25Liters for a daypack (I have two Patagonia ones, and a North Face one) as anything else is going to be wasted space and add needless weight.

Figure out all the stuff you'll bring, and then decide what size of pack you'll need (as I noted, you PROBABLY won't need anything above 25L). Then hit up the best brands for quality (Patagonia, North Face, Osprey, and Fjällräven are the ones I swear by).

You've listed all the really essential stuff. I assume you'll just use your phone for photos/videos? If not, a decent compact camera (if you have one) would not go amiss. Bring your charger cord for sure, and headphones for music/video if you're ever stuck anywhere waiting...or conversely an eReader for reading (if you have one). Spare change for whatever country you're in is a good idea as not everywhere is going to take cards, so keep some handy. Have more than one snack, and each of different varieties...fruit and something crunchy like a bar or the like, just to keep energy up on anything more than average walking.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#97 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Backpack screams tourist. Suggest messenger bag or similar for walking around.

One of those rain ponchos that folds down to pocket size is handy.

I found a small tool (penknife, multi-tool, EDC, etc) that had at least a bottle opener and scissors very handy. Note you may not be able to fly with it on you.

Small combination lock/wire can be handy.

I assume your phone is also your camera. For the love of god back everything up to something you can access remotely. Automatic backup for pics is good too.

If you're able to get on of those devices that prevents demonic possession, shamanic influence, invasive love spells, etc. it never hurts. Well, except for the Rosecreacean ones, those hurt but i think they're supposed to. And if you have the option to pay a little extra for an ET-teleport/probe jammer, it's worth it.

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 April 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Backpack screams tourist. Suggest messenger bag or similar for walking around.

^^This is a fair point. It's also a good reason why my city travel bag is my cross-body shoulder bag.

Though daypack is fine if you're out in the wild of whatever country. In-city stuff? shoulder bag/messenger IS indeed better.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

#99 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Was about to suggest an anti theft backpack type.

I just ordered one last week, a bit cheaper (about half the price) than the one QT listed, it should arrive this week I'll let you know what it's like.

Second the poncho in the bag, you just never know when the heavens are going to open.

Regarding the local SIM, a lot of companies are doing no roaming charges now. My network offers zero roaming charges a round Europe (not as much of a big deal now the laws have changed) but also UAE, Australia and a ton of others. Alas it doesn't cover China, but WiFi is your friend, and just don't take calls unless absolutely necessary.

In other news, finally got talking to someone on the phone, visa application posted off today, with hopefully zero problems, and I should have my visa next week!

Probably need to start looking into my accom for Shanghai and the possibility of travel to Xian

#100 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 April 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

... finally got talking to someone on the phone, visa application posted off today, with hopefully zero problems, and I should have my visa next week!

Enjoy Mogadishu!

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users