Malazan Empire: Have you been to...? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Have you been to...? Travel - what was good to do where?

#121 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Going to Barca/Madrid for a few days in September.

Have booked a flight into Barca and a flight out of Madrid 5 days later.

What's the must go sees?

#122 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

For anyone who uses Hostelworld reqularly. If you've made a booking for August/September this year be sure to check Hostelworld for their 3 epic trips competition, it's free to enter if you have made a booking and the first prize is 3 trips to any of the 30 options they give you (angkor wat, Cappadocia ballooning, etc) a few runner up prizes of one of the options

#123 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

Any tips for Montreal/Quebec I'm here for the next two weeks. Any malazans in the area fancy a meet-up?

#124 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 24 August 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Any tips for Montreal/Quebec I'm here for the next two weeks. Any malazans in the area fancy a meet-up?

Eat a different poutine every day you're here.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#125 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

Unless you speak french don't say "bonjour" to people, they will assume you speak french and start talking to you and you'll have no idea what the hell they're saying and have to awkwardly backpedal and tell them you don't speak french. They're usually not too pleased after that, especially fast food workers because not everyone speaks english and then they have to find someone who does.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#126 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostGintokian, on 24 August 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Unless you speak french don't say "bonjour" to people, they will assume you speak french and start talking to you and you'll have no idea what the hell they're saying and have to awkwardly backpedal and tell them you don't speak french. They're usually not too pleased after that, especially fast food workers because not everyone speaks english and then they have to find someone who does.

Why don't they speak the national language? OK I realise it's dual-language, but I thought Kweebeckers had to learn English?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#127 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 24 August 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

Why don't they speak the national language? OK I realise it's dual-language, but I thought Kweebeckers had to learn English?

Nope. Especially not in Quebec City.

Of course, Quebecois isn't really French either. Manitobans have a more comprehensible French then the Quebecois.

#128 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 24 August 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

I'm not sure if they learn any in school or not, I know I took french until grade 10 but i remember essentially nothing of it now so if they had a similar thing it wouldn't really help unless they were super into it.
Although a lot of people in Montreal specifically can speak english, some don't speak french at all strangely enough. The actor Jay Baruchel is from Montreal and he doesn't know any french, it's kind of a weird city but for the most part Quebec likes to be separate and speak their own special version of french.

#129 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Probably something like that.
Fun fact, in mid nineties they had a vote in Quebec on whether to leave Canada and become their own country and they very nearly did, it was something like 50.5% against and 49.5% for. They still have a political party that pushes for independence.

#130 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostGintokian, on 24 August 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Fun fact, in mid nineties they had a vote in Quebec on whether to leave Canada and become their own country and they very nearly did, it was something like 50.5% against and 49.5% for. They still have a political party that pushes for independence.

After that a lot of big business started to relocate from Montreal. They picked a sleepy nearby city called Toronto. And so it became the biggest in Canada.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 24 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

#131 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

View PostMentalist, on 24 August 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

After that a lot of big business started to relocate from Montreal. They picked a sleepy nearby city called Toronto. And so it became the biggest in Canada.

That is true, although Toronto was still pretty big pre 1995 but that did help a lot. Although now businesses are moving out of Toronto cause living costs and rental costs are just way too high

#132 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostGintokian, on 24 August 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 24 August 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

That is true, although Toronto was still pretty big pre 1995 but that did help a lot. Although now businesses are moving out of Toronto cause living costs and rental costs are just way too high

The original exodus from Mtl to TO that boosted the city was after the first referendum in 1980.
Tho close, the 90s vote was barely an afterthought... probably why it was as close as it was. It didn't trigger the same flight... if anything it led to Mtl recovering quite a bit.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#133 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

Stockholm. Where can I go tomorrow evening during a flying visit for a little tourist wander? I just want a nice little walk and a pick of a few decent places for dinner on my own. Help!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#134 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

If you jump on a train you can probably be in Denmark in 3-4 hours, rather than wasting your time in a shithole country.

#135 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Lol.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#136 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:57 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 July 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Stockholm. Where can I go tomorrow evening during a flying visit for a little tourist wander? I just want a nice little walk and a pick of a few decent places for dinner on my own. Help!

The ABBA museum is not to be missed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#137 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

Thread bump.

This is a long in advance one.

We have a wedding to attend in Spain next summer.

Current holiday plan is loosely, flying into Rome, working our way up, across the south of France and down into Spain.

How long in Rome? We also want to see Venice before it sinks, where else to stop along the way? Not sure Where in Spain, probably down south

#138 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

Well, acording to my Dad who is now a seasoned (older) traveller - use Rome for an airport but otherwise avoid avoid avoid. Apparently the best stuff is further north, but even then you'll be among the tourist throngs so good luck. Rome does have good stuff, but it's not worth the hassle.

He's glad Venice was part of a tour because he wouldn't make a separate trip to go there. It was nice, but overrated. And again throngs of tourists, which he was acutely aware that he was a part of.

How much time will you be having to play with?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#139 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

I mean I'm doing Rome. It's been on my list since always.

We haven't firmed up any dates and times yet, trying to work out how much we will need, what's affordable, etc

#140 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 October 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thread bump.

This is a long in advance one.

We have a wedding to attend in Spain next summer.

Current holiday plan is loosely, flying into Rome, working our way up, across the south of France and down into Spain.

How long in Rome? We also want to see Venice before it sinks, where else to stop along the way? Not sure Where in Spain, probably down south

Blimey. You could easily spend a week in Rome, but a long weekend (give yourself two full days) should suffice to do the main touristy bits, I'd imagine. If you don't mind walking, you can do a nice walk that includes most of the famous landmarks (Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, National Monument, etc) in half a day or so. If you plan to visit the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, add another day to that because just standing in the queue will probably take you half a day.

Venice I always find a bit overrated, I'd personally recommend Florence instead. Plus it is more on your planned route, because Venice would require you to cut all the way across before heading back to France. But you can view either of those in a day, I imagine.

For south of France: Nice is beautiful and basically partnered up with Monaco, so you can do those jointly for a couple of days. Really nice area.

Then for Spain, I'd advise sticking to the coastal areas when travelling south. Then you have a choice of Barcelona or Valencia on your way down. For southern destinations, Malaga is a great pick. Cartagena is lovely too, as is Granada.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users