• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8941 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

I agree with Obdi, and I'll add that the popular-among-some-pundits notion that impeachment will be a net negative for Dems in 2020 -- setting aside whether you think that should be a relevant factor or not in the first place -- is just pure smoke. Irresponsible speculation at best, and in many cases deliberate disinformation.

I understand that DJT's evergreen claim that it's a "witch hunt" will work on many people already inclined to believe that anyway. So what? He said it regardless, they believed it regardless, that was always going to be the case. But I fail to see how the daily laying out and interrogation of his crimes -- which couldn't help but be the headlines of the day, every day (which, in a horrendous abdication of responsibility on the part of the American press, isn't already the case) -- wouldn't be damaging to him.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8942 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

Rooster Toy 2020!

Prior 1st debate I'm:

70% Pete
25% Warren
5% Beat Trump.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8943 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:26 PM

Writing posts in short hand isn't really a great way to communicate. I have no idea what you're saying.

Rooster Toy?

#8944 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

BfuckinK, on 14 June 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

He's saying as of now before debate he's 70% onboard with Pete, 25% Warren, 5% any of them beating Trump.

Rooster toy from previous post.

This. Didn't think rooster toy would be confusing, lol.

Buttigieg is my favorite, followed by Warren, then whoever. I would never vote for Trump. Ever.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8945 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

Biden, Sanders and Buttigieg will be on the same stage (second night).

Warren got the shitty draw. She's the first night and I guess has to stand out against Beto and Cory Booker. Oh my. Her team must be frustrated by that.

Here's Who Will Be Debating Each Night Of The First 2020 Democratic Debate

#8946 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

Warren will undoubtedly stomp O'Rourke and Booker. She's going to shine there. I think she's fine with being there.

Williamson is probably ticked off that she can't move to night one and work in the less "already defined" night.

Bootyjeg is an empty candidate for me. He's been coming across like Biden-Lite, which is not something I think will benefit the country or me and mine. I want Sanders or Warren or both. I prefer Sanders to Warren due to consistency of listening to leftward groups and hiring of very smart and capable staff members like Matt Duss to help with his weaker spots.

I've donated to Sanders a couple times and Warren once.

Gillibrand lives just outside the city where I grew up in. I live on the other side of the city from her and people like her. I like her. But she's better as a Senator than a president and I think occasionally, she goes back to her very centrist Democrat origins. She's the latest front figure of the Corning Machine that dominated Albany politics for decades, which is a bit concerning, but she's done generally ok things with her position.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8947 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

#8948 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

Aren't I delighted.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#8949 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:12 AM

The US should drop almost every sanction against Iran, stop trying to go to war with Iran, and do only what it takes for convincing Iran to not fund or arm Syrians firing stuff into Israel.

The US should also move to a two state solution approach for Israel and Palestine too. And fuck up those Israeli settlers too.

#8950 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:20 AM

amphibian, on 18 June 2019 - 02:12 AM, said:

The US should drop almost every sanction against Iran, stop trying to go to war with Iran, and do only what it takes for convincing Iran to not fund or arm Syrians firing stuff into Israel.

The US should also move to a two state solution approach for Israel and Palestine too. And fuck up those Israeli settlers too.

I'd be happy if Iran could buy medicine so people weren't dying in hospitals and doctors didn't have to compromise on the smallest of medical procedures. But that would be too much to expect from the leader of the free world.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#8951 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

The Resistance:

#8952 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

EmperorMagus, on 18 June 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

I'd be happy if Iran could buy medicine so people weren't dying in hospitals and doctors didn't have to compromise on the smallest of medical procedures. But that would be too much to expect from the leader of the free world.

Might as well wish for thoughtful reflection followed by a coherent sentence explaining sensible policy out of him while you're at it. About as likely.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8953 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Iran is not exactly a good guy in these matters though either. Funding arms to Syria is only the half of it. I have never really been sure where to stand on the Iran deal, a lot of European goverements and the previous US goveremnt were for it and they should in theory know what they are doing. On the other hand history has shown that everything from WW2 to North Korea was caused by a government taking the easy choice and kicking a dangerous can down the road.

As for the second half I believe America's policy has always been a two state solution and despite some things trump ahs said or done, is still a two state solution. I was curious to see what America moving the embassy to jeruslem would do (and feared the worst) but so far it seems to have done nothing. It only did as trump said it would, acknowledge the de facto situation on the ground. Jerusalem has been Israel's undivided capital for fifty years and growing. Its been the dead end in every negotiation. The whole thing remains a mess and until a peace agreement is reached between the west bank and the gaza strip Id say peace between the palastinians and Israel wont happen either.

In the meantime the big question is Iran really blwoing up oil tankers and does the US intillegence agencies and Trump have any trust left to make the case stick

#8954 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Cause, on 18 June 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Iran is not exactly a good guy in these matters though either. Funding arms to Syria is only the half of it. I have never really been sure where to stand on the Iran deal, a lot of European goverements and the previous US goveremnt were for it and they should in theory know what they are doing. On the other hand history has shown that everything from WW2 to North Korea was caused by a government taking the easy choice and kicking a dangerous can down the road.

As for the second half I believe America's policy has always been a two state solution and despite some things trump ahs said or done, is still a two state solution. I was curious to see what America moving the embassy to jeruslem would do (and feared the worst) but so far it seems to have done nothing. It only did as trump said it would, acknowledge the de facto situation on the ground. Jerusalem has been Israel's undivided capital for fifty years and growing. Its been the dead end in every negotiation. The whole thing remains a mess and until a peace agreement is reached between the west bank and the gaza strip Id say peace between the palastinians and Israel wont happen either.

In the meantime the big question is Iran really blwoing up oil tankers and does the US intillegence agencies and Trump have any trust left to make the case stick

I'm more inclined to listen to the tanker captain.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#8955 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

Maark Abbott, on 18 June 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm more inclined to listen to the tanker captain.

I didn't know he had said something what was it?

#8956 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

https://www.washingt...m=.620bedcace64

The attack on the Japanese ship was absolutely not limpet mines or torpedoes. Iirc, because of the way the ships were facing, it wasn't something launched from Iran either, because that would have struck the top or other sides of the ships.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8957 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Cause, on 18 June 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

The US has not made meaningful pushback on Israel to curb settlers or stop the persecution of day to day life for Palestinians via attaching conditions to funding. That's what I mean by switch to this approach - the current one is lip service alone.

#8958 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:00 PM

amphibian, on 18 June 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

The US has not made meaningful pushback on Israel to curb settlers or stop the persecution of day to day life for Palestinians via attaching conditions to funding. That's what I mean by switch to this approach - the current one is lip service alone.

Leaving aside its very effective lobbyist system, Israel's position as lone bastion of sanity and democracy amidst a wasteland of mad bloodthirsty extremism ( [/s] ) makes that pretty much the guaranteed status quo for the foreseeable future whomever is in power in Washington.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8959 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

The Baby Boomer War Cry

#8960 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

This is a thread full of ugly truths, but if you can stand to emotionally, please read it.

And if for whatever reason you can't do that, please check this other thread out anyway, for ways to help (there are several, some are regional and some are broader, but please don't get 'choice overload' -- helping any of them has meaning for real people):

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Primateus